Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Zzulu posted:

I hope we come across a lost reaper who was shunned from his reaper friends who is all friendly and helpful

I hope i can keep it in an aquarium in my quarters.

I'll get everyone else on board to come around and tap on the glass really loudly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lt. Danger posted:

The geth were originally going to resurrect Shepard in ME2.

I think the idea kinda breaks down when you start to think of the actual details. Cerberus was the better choice.

I'd like to hear your thoughts. My initial thinking on is is that the Geth make more sense.

I mean, one, they've had direct exposure to the Reapers, so, they can understand the magnitude of the threat and I can see 'Rebuild Shepard-Commander' working in their minds. Two, their technology potentially fits a Project Lazarus analog in there a bit easier than Cerberus.

I just don't know how you'd, well, implement it because Geth don't really have personalities and I can't imagine an action-packed opening sequence where you meet your first two squad members working with a Geth facility as a basis.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lt. Danger posted:

The geth were originally going to resurrect Shepard in ME2.

I think the idea kinda breaks down when you start to think of the actual details. Cerberus was the better choice.

Probably. That does sound interesting as hell though.

Would also explain why you're so unique instead of the eventual ME:3 answer of "just a corpse reanimated with reaper cybernetics and a VI brain". I mean you basically assumed that anyway but it was such a narrative flat note when you find out because it gets nothing more than a couple brief lines of dialogue after you interact with a computer terminal during a mission.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm digging back into ME3 multiplayer on PC after a few years away. There's a lot of new content but my question is, how should I spend my credits starting out? Should I just buy a bunch of recruit packs or should I work on the higher tier boxes?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

DancingShade posted:

Probably. That does sound interesting as hell though.

Would also explain why you're so unique instead of the eventual ME:3 answer of "just a corpse reanimated with reaper cybernetics and a VI brain". I mean you basically assumed that anyway but it was such a narrative flat note when you find out because it gets nothing more than a couple brief lines of dialogue after you interact with a computer terminal during a mission.

I was surprised when they didn't go with 'Reaper tech was involved with bringing Shepard back to life'. But, poo poo, if we're going to mention narrative flat notes in ME3 then we'd be here for a long, long time.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Milky Moor posted:

I'd like to hear your thoughts. My initial thinking on is is that the Geth make more sense.

I mean, one, they've had direct exposure to the Reapers, so, they can understand the magnitude of the threat and I can see 'Rebuild Shepard-Commander' working in their minds. Two, their technology potentially fits a Project Lazarus analog in there a bit easier than Cerberus.

I just don't know how you'd, well, implement it because Geth don't really have personalities and I can't imagine an action-packed opening sequence where you meet your first two squad members working with a Geth facility as a basis.

Cerberus itself doesn't work as it such a chaotic organization hat apparently does everything and yet nothing really works, that its practically the same as if they just made a pack of geth good without properly explaining it. Project Lazarus was wonk from the start, but I'd take Geth if they engineered it to make you try and escape with starting humans and slowly work your way into gaining trust with the robots that like and want to use you against a shared enemy for some reason than just rolling with Cerberus while you constantly tell TIM to go gently caress himself, yet he still gives you a ship and a crew. It's all about narrative, but its all conjecture now as we got what we got. And the worst parts of ME2 were no where near the flaws of its sequel.

Maybe mix it up where if you're aggressive and don't trust the Geth at all in the first stage, you start out with Jacob and Miranda as usual who take you to TIM and blah, blah, blah; but if you're too willing to interact with the usually very hostile Geth, you only start out with Legion as your first companion.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 20, 2016

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Milky Moor posted:

That's exactly the problem I saw too. How do you get Shepard to a ship, a crew, two squadmates and ten dossiers from a geth resurrection? How do you write these other geth when Legion is supposed to be a special unique platform designed for operating in organic space?

The advantage of Cerberus is that Shepard can play off Martin Sheen-as-TIM-as-the-Devil for the central antagonistic relationship (one that is fun and ambiguous). Harbinger/the Collectors are already largely faceless - having the collective geth consciousness as the other major supporting character wouldn't help.

I think the thing with Cerberus is you just have to discard all the ME1 stuff as first-draft material.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
When I started ME2 it had been so long or they had been so forgettable that I had completely forgotten about Cerberus from ME1. And all my crewmates started crying about when I supported them all the time, wahhhh don't you remember their crimes??

no i dont idiots, I died, and this illustrious man seems like a pretty alright chap thanks. even in the end I remember giving the reaper poo poo to cerberus and everybody was berating me saying "oh noooo you should have blown it up!! cant trust them!!"

smdh how wasteful and moronic can they even be, we're facing the end times here. also, didnt see any of you lot racing to rebuild me like the six million dollar lady.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I had no recollection of Cerberus from ME1 by the time I played ME2. Were they even a big thing in ME1? Even now all I remember of them there are a few generic quests to stop some random experiments or wahtever

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Yeah I had no recollection of Cerberus from ME1 by the time I played ME2. Were they even a big thing in ME1? Even now all I remember of them there are a few generic quests to stop some random experiments or wahtever

That's basically it. You ran into a bunch of their failed mad science experiments where they let Rachni loose and got all their guys killed. Which is why even in my most evil ME2 play through I didn't trust them to be competent enough to handle the collector base.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

marktheando posted:

That's basically it. You ran into a bunch of their failed mad science experiments where they let Rachni loose and got all their guys killed. Which is why even in my most evil ME2 play through I didn't trust them to be competent enough to handle the collector base.

hey, you win some you lose some. would you rather you allowed some dodgy geezers to get their hands on reaper tech in the hopes of reverse engineering some useful poo poo that might help prevent the annihilation of all sentient life, or do you destroy the most valuable resource you have out of some kind of spiteful logic?

pretty sure people who choose to destroy it were just picking paragon options from a walkthrough or some poo poo because how unintuitive can you get?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

golly gosh if those morons in the citadel can't have it, no one can!

*detonates last hope of all sentient life*

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
well in the end the collector base amounted to nothing anyway so

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Zzulu posted:

well in the end the collector base amounted to nothing anyway so

Would have made my loving year if you got the end of ME3 but you destroyed the base in ME2, everybody gathers together and starts crying because they were woefully underprepared for the Reaper invasion and everybody just gets turned to gruel.

Them's the kind of real consequential decisions we need in games. The shitstorm that would brew from that ending would probably have brought down the internet.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jeza posted:

Would have made my loving year if you got the end of ME3 but you destroyed the base in ME2, everybody gathers together and starts crying because they were woefully underprepared for the Reaper invasion and everybody just gets turned to gruel.

Them's the kind of real consequential decisions we need in games. The shitstorm that would brew from that ending would probably have brought down the internet.

Yeah, sorry to break it to you, but TIM had no actual interest in preserving / elevating humanity. I for one did not believe his bullshit.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The concept of prior choices like the Collector Base contributing to more/less war assets in ME3 could have conceivably worked out all right if there was more of a dramatic impact on the final assault on Earth. But it ended up feeling pretty meaningless because you'd have to intentionally skip as much as possible to ever get the "bad" cutscenes in ME3 and the only thing it opened up was Synthesis, which I'm pretty sure absolutely no one accepts as a legit ending. Probably something they intended to flesh out more but had to chop, the entire final third of the game past Thessia feels like this.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

The concept of prior choices like the Collector Base contributing to more/less war assets in ME3 could have conceivably worked out all right if there was more of a dramatic impact on the final assault on Earth. But it ended up feeling pretty meaningless because you'd have to intentionally skip as much as possible to ever get the "bad" cutscenes in ME3 and the only thing it opened up was Synthesis, which I'm pretty sure absolutely no one accepts as a legit ending. Probably something they intended to flesh out more but had to chop, the entire final third of the game past Thessia feels like this.

I really liked the green glowing effect - it was a unique color in the game -, so to me Synthesis is a viable ending, especially since I don't really like the blue glow effect - since Mass Effect had so many other blue colors throughout the game.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I hope i can keep it in an aquarium in my quarters.

I'll get everyone else on board to come around and tap on the glass really loudly.

It was made from a race of sentient microbes, that the other reapers constantly gave it poo poo because of its size until it decided to find better company in Andromeda.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I find it interesting how even as the technology got better, each Mass Effect game got progressively uglier. The first game had all the stark, sterile naval environments but also a very vivid color scheme. Then in Mass Effect 2 somebody slathered red and orange paste everywhere and hit the bloom button. By Mass Effect 3 all the colors turned into a grey sludge.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Same, except the reverse because I remember what ME1 looked like

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lt. Danger posted:

Same, except the reverse because I remember what ME1 looked like

You mean clear lines and simple color patterns without excessive bloom?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Mass Effect 1's environments are so beautiful that they made you walk through the three of them a thousand times over the course of the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you play ME1 and ME2 back to back, the leap in quality from the end of ME1 to the very beginning of ME2 is like one of the biggest in all of vidya games.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
lighting engine was really weird in me2 though

Omega specifically has some weird shadow issues

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Me2 is just great . How could it be so good . The Godfather 2 of video games

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
me2 is so good it hurts

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ME2 was viciously robbed at the Spike Video Game Awards.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

What game won?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I actually don't remember, but it was some dumb game of the decade thing in 2010, I think?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Mostly I just remember the first zone in Noveria, and how it absolutely nailed the sterile corporate blandness in terms of atmosphere while being incredibly boring visually and in gameplay

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Rinkles posted:

Did the console versions of ME2 have no indicators of cooldowns outside the ability wheel?

Cause I don't see any when playing with the PC controller mod (it's awesome that someone managed to enable support).
After you use a power a couple of half-circles appear around your cross hairs and start moving together. That's the cool down. When they meet, you can use another ability.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm going to gently caress the turians

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dan Didio posted:

I'm still mad about this

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Mass Effect 2 is very nearly the Platonic ideal of a video game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's clearly the best Bioware game ever, and is the best game in the series by virtually every metric except for Mass Effect 3 having more + cooler guns in it.

ME:A is going to be trash so I'm just going to buy it as a dating simulator.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

euphronius posted:

What game won?

Red Dead Redemption

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Red Dead Redemption

Honestly, probably more deserving. ME2 played wonderfully and looked amazing, but had serious story problems. RDR hits all three.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Hannibal Smith posted:

After you use a power a couple of half-circles appear around your cross hairs and start moving together. That's the cool down. When they meet, you can use another ability.

Thanks a bunch totally missed it.

Lt. Danger posted:

Mass Effect 2 is very nearly the Platonic ideal of a video game.

Doesn't have a (stat preserving) helmet toggle, though.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Thanks a bunch totally missed it.

Doesn't have a (stat preserving) helmet toggle, though.

Could've sworn it did, under gameplay in options. Settings for on, off in conversations, and always off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

CottonWolf posted:

Honestly, probably more deserving. ME2 played wonderfully and looked amazing, but had serious story problems. RDR hits all three.

I mean, that's one way of looking at it

on the other, RDR looked great, played ok, and also had story problems so