Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Do any streaming services actually let you do the commentary tracks and stuff for anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Down and out In Beverly Hills is a pretty funny Richard Dreyfuss movie.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Richard Dreyfuss knocks it out of the park most of the time, so you should just IMDB him.

DeimosRising posted:

What's lacking about it?
Lacks any kind of premise or plot which involves the original story and premise? I dunno. the entire premise of I Am Legend the novel, was about a man losing his humanity and becoming a parody of a person who can't recognize change because he's too stuck in the past, and who then eventually pays for it while in the throes of anagnorsis.. It's very Oedipal in that regard and planet of the apes is probably the closest corollary to what actual themes were going on. :911:

In the movies he's a mary sue insert who saves humanity. I've heard Last Man On Earth was the most accurate to the source but I'm not a big fan of old Vincent Price hamminess so I haven't got around to seeing all of it yet.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 20, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

drunken officeparty posted:

Do any streaming services actually let you do the commentary tracks and stuff for anything?

Studios would never allow that.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Timby posted:

Studios would never allow that.

Only place I've seen it is on the Shout Factory channel. However, they have two versions of the movie so it's either or. No control over shutting it off, etc.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The I Am Legend alternate ending is one of those great arguments for test audiences being idiots

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One movie I've always wondered about the ending of is Source code. It really seemed like it was supposed to end at the freeze and al of a sudden there's 5 extra minutes of sappy poo poo.

I always figured it tested poorly and they tacked that on.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

coyo7e posted:

Richard Dreyfuss knocks it out of the park most of the time, so you should just IMDB him.

Lacks any kind of premise or plot which involves the original story and premise? I dunno. the entire premise of I Am Legend the novel, was about a man losing his humanity and becoming a parody of a person who can't recognize change because he's too stuck in the past, and who then eventually pays for it while in the throes of anagnorsis.. It's very Oedipal in that regard and planet of the apes is probably the closest corollary to what actual themes were going on. :911:

In the movies he's a mary sue insert who saves humanity. I've heard Last Man On Earth was the most accurate to the source but I'm not a big fan of old Vincent Price hamminess so I haven't got around to seeing all of it yet.

So what's lacking is "you having seen the movie" even though you a) professed to have an opinion on it and b) are complaining about thematic adherence to the book when it's the most faithful adaptation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Amazon Prime has lots of trivia and written commentary when you hover over the video, that's about it.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

coyo7e posted:

This is so true. One of my favorite actors of all time along with Gene Hackman. The only Dreyfuss thing I remember actively disliking is Krippendorf's Tribe.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

fishtobaskets posted:

Groundhog Day is timeless, and I know it's incredibly sentimental and cheesy, but I have a soft spot for Mr. Holland's Opus.

goundhog day is timeless and one of my favorites!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish bill Murray still did comedy.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Totally random question. How many of you who have Netflix streaming also have the DVD service?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I think I used the disc service the from 2004 to 2009 or so and then switched over to streaming only.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Spatulater bro! posted:

Totally random question. How many of you who have Netflix streaming also have the DVD service?

I do.

Also Marathon Man is one of my favorite Dreyfus movies.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I do.

Also Marathon Man is one of my favorite Dreyfus movies.

IDGI

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The new criterion service has a featured movie on a bi-weekly rotation with all the digital add-ons.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DeimosRising posted:

So what's lacking is "you having seen the movie" even though you a) professed to have an opinion on it and b) are complaining about thematic adherence to the book when it's the most faithful adaptation.
Naw I definitely watched WIll Smith and his dog playing dress-up with manikins

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FilmStuck. They have alot of extras up and a few commentaries.

Plus Silence Of The Lambs (which isn't on that list for some reason)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 21, 2016

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

coyo7e posted:

Naw I definitely watched WIll Smith and his dog playing dress-up with manikins

We seem to have had a misunderstanding, I forgot who I originally responded to when you answered. The movie he said was lacking was The Last Man On Earth, which is by far the closest adaptation of the book, and the best, though not for that reason. I wanted to know why he disliked it and you responded and said you hadn't seen it and I was like, what a dumb thing to say then.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Burn After Reading is amazing. I'm surprised I haven't seen it until now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

On that note, are there any other movies like WAB, or with Dreyfus or Murray in their prime, that hold up like it does?

I rewatched it the other day and it reminded me of Throw Momma From the Train, which is currently free on Amazon Prime. Another great dark comedy of a similar vintage with an awesome co-lead dynamic.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

It was an old joke between a bunch of people trying to tell Dreyfus and Hoffman apart...

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DeimosRising posted:

We seem to have had a misunderstanding, I forgot who I originally responded to when you answered. The movie he said was lacking was The Last Man On Earth, which is by far the closest adaptation of the book, and the best, though not for that reason. I wanted to know why he disliked it and you responded and said you hadn't seen it and I was like, what a dumb thing to say then.
No you misread my post, because I definitely said why I never got around to it. Simmer down there fireball

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I see bond movies are leaving Hulu, the going to Amazon or Netflix? Or just vanishing for a bit?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Cross posting from the Horror thread.

Bad Ben is a really B-Grade ghost found footage movie with some hilariously bad effects at the end. The true reason you need to see it is simple: The main dude just does not give a gently caress about ghosts.

Ever see that video of those two Canadian dudes who are just annoyed that this huge bear is tearing up their poo poo and they yell at him in a mildly annoyed manner? That's this movie. It's just this dude who is put out and loving annoyed at this drat ghost loving up this house he's trying to flip. The dude's deadpan annoyance at all the ghosts antics is so great.

He finds a creepy child's grave in the woods. Does he react in horror? Nope, "drat it this'll be a pain to explain to the buyers" and he just casually hides the grave. He just does not give a gently caress about anything and it's so great.

LionArcher posted:

I see bond movies are leaving Hulu, the going to Amazon or Netflix? Or just vanishing for a bit?

All 22 are on Prime now.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

OldTennisCourt posted:

All 22 are on Prime now.

This was a nice surprise getting fed up with netflix's library and hopping over to amazon and seeing wall to wall Bond in the new arrivals section.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The I Am Legend alternate ending is one of those great arguments for test audiences being idiots

Both endings are pretty bad but neither holds a candle to a terrible piece of fanfiction that people for some reason circulated as the unfilmed, original ending where after Robert Neville sacrifices himself the camera pans over and reveals that the woman and her child are actually mannequins and the whole final act was a hallucination. The end, no moral :jerkbag:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Netflix has commentary on some of their originals, check the audio/language tracks!

veni veni veni posted:

One movie I've always wondered about the ending of is Source code. It really seemed like it was supposed to end at the freeze and al of a sudden there's 5 extra minutes of sappy poo poo.

I always figured it tested poorly and they tacked that on.

Source Code would have made an absolutely awesome reverse Quantum Leap-esque TV series. Each disaster is prevented, freeing from/keeping the dude in the capsule, free dude rides off into the sunset, capsule dude is ready for the next disaster. Build on the concept from there; an episode where he prevents a disaster or attack inside the facility and assumes the identity of his own CO or a mole inside the organization comes to mind right away. I loved that movie.

It fits with the rules the movie sets up that if he prevents the disaster, he gets to go on in that survivors body and timeline, but that also means the disaster never happened, which means the whole time another version of him was just waiting in his little time capsule. Ugh, i love that stupid movie

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Nov 22, 2016

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Is there a good place to stay up to date with the good things getting added to Netflix and Prime Video?

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
There's monthly lists for Netflix that usually gets reposted all over the Internet. Prime Video doesn't seem to have the same thing going for it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Started watching The Get Down last night, at the behest of a friend who loved it. The initial episode is movie length, so it's an investment, but I like the style and ideas it's throwing out there. Great soundtrack, and integrating actual 1970's footage of New York into the show is weird but gives the show a cool texture. I also hadn't seen it mentioned much in this thread.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
On that note WRT Netflix updates: here's the list for December

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Just echoing the fact that Green Room was fantastic and nearly gave me a heart attack. It's on Amazon Prime. Watch it.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

flatluigi posted:

Is there a good place to stay up to date with the good things getting added to Netflix and Prime Video?
I've been checking justwatch.com for the past month or so.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Black Mirror is loving fantastic if you've somehow managed to avoid it like I have. White Bear was some of the most chilling television I've seen in a long time.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I watched Green Room because of all the praise in here (and because I found out it was from the same person that did Blue Ruin), it was good but was somebody else scheduled to play Patrick Stewart's part? Because he was so miscasted that it dragged down the movie for me.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Really? I found him in his role pretty believable. He treated the situation in such a businesslike manner that it added to the horror for me. But then again, he's also an actor that I don't really come across that often in my selections.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

rngd in the womb posted:

Really? I found him in his role pretty believable. He treated the situation in such a businesslike manner that it added to the horror for me. But then again, he's also an actor that I don't really come across that often in my selections.

I don't know. To me, it didn't seem like there was any malice underneath or any front put up. He was what he was the entire time. It was a guy who was suppose to be a stone cold killer who was the top of nazi mountain and he came across more like an inconvenienced grandpa...which really hurt the ending where you're suppose to see him caught off guard. It's like if Bryan Cranston played the role but he played it as whimpy Walter White the entire time instead of starting as Heisenburg and letting us see the mask slip. That's a stupid analogy but it's the only comparison I could come up with this late. Maybe I'm misinterpreting it.

Plus some of the dialog sounded ridiculous coming from him "friend of the family dope"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Stuck at work covering a holiday. Thanks to whoever said that Amazon has all the Bond movies. Watched Spectre, which I haven't seen since it was in the theaters. It's a gorgeous movie with good action set pieces. Too bad it's just totally ruined by the whole 'evil brother' poo poo.

At least I can watch Timothy Dalton Bond which is the best Bond.