Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Fulchrum posted:

And when it gets completely and totally ignored yet a loving gain

But it's been successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

punk rebel ecks posted:

As we keep telling you. Obama won these people over because he promised "hope" and "change". He promised them jobs and an increase of quality in their lives. Trump won these people over by promising to "make America Great Again" as he campaigned on bringing back their lost industry and dropping disastrous trade deals. It's not that difficult to connect.

Right but this doesn't work in the context of 'uh how could they vote for Obama if they were bigoted :smug:', that's the problem. Trump's brand of populism is nothing new, it's actually pretty standard Republican. A historically pretty conservative group went republican, this isn't shocking.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Literally NOONE is saying this. Nobody. I haven't heard anyone in this thread say this at all what so ever.

What's the point of making sure we know that any attempt to talk about the bigotry that motivated his voters needs to stop as we focus on how they're all just economic victims, then?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if anyone lives in a small tx town with a broom (maybe it was ladders?) factory heres a hint

its not reopening

speng31b
May 8, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Literally NOONE is saying this. Nobody. I haven't heard anyone in this thread say this at all what so ever.

And literally NOONE here is saying that we need to drop economic populism entirely from the platform either. I think we can run on both and win, but you also have to understand that given the history of our country, the Democratic party, who has power, and who is more vulnerable, deemphasizing social issues as a takeaway from the handwringing about how we've failed to appeal to a certain demographic is a real danger to a lot of people.

Note that I'm not calling out anyone in this thread and accusing them of anything; I think it's a fear within the Democratic party given the sort of leadership we've had to date, and I hope it changes. If you want me to just come out and say I don't think Hillary ran an effective campaign on economic issues, that's absolutely true. She didn't. Didn't on social issues either. What she said wasn't bad, but she didn't say enough of it.

speng31b has issued a correction as of 02:12 on Nov 21, 2016

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

eonwe posted:

if anyone lives in a small tx town with a broom (maybe it was ladders?) factory heres a hint

its not reopening

even if it did the job would suck because they're not magically going to be union.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

punk rebel ecks posted:

But it's been successful.

Are you seriously going to try and claim that Hillary was actively oblivious to any economic problems being faced by people in the rust belt, and not a single one of her plans and policies had anything to do with helping these towns? Or is this just the return of "Well she didn't really MEAN it" fallacy?

speng31b posted:

And literally NOONE here is saying that we need to drop economic populism entirely from the platform either. I think we can run on both and win, but you also have to understand that given the history of our country, the Democratic party, who has power, and who is more vulnerable, deemphasizing social issues as a takeaway from the handwringing about how we've failed to appeal to a certain demographic is a real danger to a lot of people.

Note that I'm not calling out anyone in this thread and accusing them of anything; I think it's a fear within the Democratic party given the sort of leadership we've had to date, and I hope it changes. If you want me to just come out and say I don't think Hillary ran an effective campaign on economic issues, that's absolutely true. She didn't. Didn't on social issues either. What she said wasn't bad, but she didn't say enough of it.

Historically, there's never once been a point in time where a party has said that we could try both economic populism to appeal to whites AND minority issues and rights" and ever actually kept the second part.

Fulchrum has issued a correction as of 02:14 on Nov 21, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Right but this doesn't work in the context of 'uh how could they vote for Obama if they were bigoted :smug:', that's the problem. Trump's brand of populism is nothing new, it's actually pretty standard Republican. A historically pretty conservative group went republican, this isn't shocking.
Why do you keep throwing up this strawman? Once again, I never said that these people weren't bigoted. I and everyone else is saying "these people primarily want change for their economic situation and social/racial justice won't interfere with them voting as it has shown in recent history."

Tatum Girlparts posted:

What's the point of making sure we know that any attempt to talk about the bigotry that motivated his voters needs to stop as we focus on how they're all just economic victims, then?

You are trying to start an argument that nobody is even making. This is the equivalent of me arguing with people in this thread that we have to cozy up and support Putin's regime in order to defeat ISIS. It's a random imaginary position that nobody has presented.

speng31b posted:

Nobody is saying we should deemphazie social issues in any way, shape, or form.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Deciding the 'main reason' a candidate won is obviously stupid, but Trump never gets out of the primary without being the most aggressive and focused white nationalist on the stage. Economic anxiety is real but so is racism, and that's the truth no matter what the optics look like.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
@punk and the others, let me try to be clearer with this.

If you're saying 'we can focus on economic AND social justice' with one side of your mouth and then with the other saying 'bigotry wasn't a major factor in Trump voters' then many people hearing you won't believe that first part was genuine.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

She said a lot of the right things but 1) 25 years of a grand conservative conspiracy have made people doubt her every utterance and 2) no matter what she said, she represented the establishment and 3) she had bad optics and no central message the poorly educated could get behind

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

@punk and the others, let me try to be clearer with this.

If you're saying 'we can focus on economic AND social justice' with one side of your mouth and then with the other saying 'bigotry wasn't a major factor in Trump voters' then many people hearing you won't believe that first part was genuine.

Again, nobody is saying this. Everyone recognizes that large portions of Trump voters are racist. What people ARE saying is that there are also another large share of Trump voters, specifically those in the rustbelts, in which their primary concern was economic, hence why they switched from Obama to Trump. Trump promised economic change, Hillary didn't. To get these people back on our side, just do what Obama did. It's that simple. You can focus on economic and social justice to win a portion of Trump voters because Democrats did precisely that four years ago.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Nobody is saying we should deemphazie social issues in any way, shape, or form.

No, you're just saying that economic issues definitely had a larger role to play than anything else, which I think is an overreach. You're also forgetting to note the history of the matter, where - as another poster pointed out above - when the Democrats claim to run on both economic and social issues, the latter tends to get dropped at every turn, and the same people suffer for it over and over again. This isn't speculative, it's happened again and again, and will continue to happen unless we take stands against it at every turn. It's preventative because it's happened before and pretty much everyone knows it's going to happen again if we let it. We're not attacking or strawmanning YOU for suggesting it, just pointing out that the Democratic party - if left to its own devices, if not pushed kicking and screaming towards social progress - will leave it in a ditch for dead.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

punk rebel ecks posted:

Again, nobody is saying this. Everyone recognizes that large portions of Trump voters are racist. What people ARE saying is that there are also another large share of Trump voters, specifically those in the rustbelts, in which their primary concern was economic, hence why they switched from Obama to Trump. Trump promised economic change, Hillary didn't. To get these people back on our side, just do what Obama did. It's that simple.

well no people are saying that, that's in fact the entire reason these arguments start, when someone needs to run in and say 'uh excuse me you can't say trump's support came from bigotry' when it did, in one major component.

As for 'just do what obama did', it's not at all that simple. Obama had an insane coalition behind him, do you think there's ANY party with just a roster of Obama's ready to deploy every 8 years? A combo of being a serious black candidate and being young and charismatic as gently caress as well as a platform that was pretty robust on both economic and social issues was what got him a lot of areas. You can do some of those easy, most importantly the platform issues, but no we'll probably never be able to 'just do what Obama did' 100%

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The democrats will leave anything in the ditch for dead.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Grondoth posted:

vince foster deserved it

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

logikv9 posted:

vince foster deserved it

It wasn't enough to kill Vince Foster, Hillary's bloodlust made her want to kill the whole country by enabling a Trump presidency.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Grondoth posted:

and hell, same.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

Are you seriously going to try and claim that Hillary was actively oblivious to any economic problems being faced by people in the rust belt, and not a single one of her plans and policies had anything to do with helping these towns? Or is this just the return of "Well she didn't really MEAN it" fallacy?

hello, please tell me two of her plans and policies that would have positively affected dying factory towns without checking her campaign website tia

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

logikv9 posted:

vince foster deserved it

I can't believe he committed suicide. I can not believe he committed suicide. How could he have done that? How could he have committed suicide?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
if bernie sanders is all the dems have then they're grade A hosed. obama's 8 years allowed the rot of the dem establishment to stay hidden and hide the fact that hey you can't have obama forever

this probably clears the way for cory booker though because some dems might just see him as obama 2.0, although you might have luck tying a progressive agenda to him, lol if you wanted ideological purity

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tatum Girlparts posted:

well no people are saying that, that's in fact the entire reason these arguments start, when someone needs to run in and say 'uh excuse me you can't say trump's support came from bigotry' when it did, in one major component.

As for 'just do what obama did', it's not at all that simple. Obama had an insane coalition behind him, do you think there's ANY party with just a roster of Obama's ready to deploy every 8 years? A combo of being a serious black candidate and being young and charismatic as gently caress as well as a platform that was pretty robust on both economic and social issues was what got him a lot of areas. You can do some of those easy, most importantly the platform issues, but no we'll probably never be able to 'just do what Obama did' 100%

Hell, for all intents and purposes Hillary was doing what Obama did. Improving on all his policies and saying that they would continue the successes of the last 8 years.

How do you run on "everything needs to be burned down and changed" when your party has been in the white house for 8 years?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fulchrum posted:

Hell, for all intents and purposes Hillary was doing what Obama did. Improving on all his policies and saying that they would continue the successes of the last 8 years.

How do you run on "everything needs to be burned down and changed" when your party has been in the white house for 8 years?

well no, she didn't do what Obama did, she completely hosed up the ground game she should have aced, Obama expanded and made huge jumps in ground game, that's a pretty major difference.

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx

Fulchrum posted:

Constantly. She spent way more time on him stuffing his employees contracts - she even had a story in the debates about her father's business and how he once got stiffed by a rich rear end in a top hat like Trump and how it made them all feel.

She should have told the story in 3 emojis or less, would have really clinched those millenial votes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

well no, she didn't do what Obama did, she completely hosed up the ground game she should have aced, Obama expanded and made huge jumps in ground game, that's a pretty major difference.

I am suprised she didnt give more focus to the Midwest given how being defeated by Bernie should have provided a clue about her campaign weakness.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol Hillary ate so much poo poo for lines like that when her opponent was blasting winners like "no puppet, no puppet" and "nasty woman"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

etalian posted:

I am suprised she didnt give more focus to the Midwest given how being defeated by Bernie should have provided a clue about her campaign weakness.

pretty much, you'd think losing most of a region in the primary would be a clue that maybe you need to give your networks a second look and make sure everything's rock solid for the general.

Or maybe send some people to a burnt out trailer park, gently caress it

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fullhouse posted:

hello, please tell me two of her plans and policies that would have positively affected dying factory towns without checking her campaign website tia

Opiod addiction focus and rehabilitation to affect poverty cycles, and heavily subsidizing green energy factories in those same towns to manufacture lithium batteries, solar panels, windmills, and so on.

Oh, I'm sorry, was this supposed to be some dumbass rhetorical question because you were so sure these things couldn't exist?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol Hillary ate so much poo poo for lines like that when her opponent was blasting winners like "no puppet, no puppet" and "nasty woman"

trumped up trickle down sounds like it was written by committee, much like everything she said and or did

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
hillary over-relied on the polling which was completely off the mark, while obama's polling (generally polling during 2008, 2012 overall) was actually on the money

if the polls reflected what actually happened you would have seen money flow into those states that she lost. not saying that it was 100% the polls fault, but they had a faulty map guiding a well-tuned machine more or less and they were so confident in their map and their machine that they didn't bother to look up

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

You don't. You say "we need to recalibrate our policies, but these fucksticks on the other side of the aisle are in our way." Which is 100% true. Unfortunately the message is badly delivered because the Dems lack any sort of spine or fighting spirit. They think they've elevated themselves above the vulgar blood sport that is politics. But they haven't; they just suck rear end at it. In politics, you need to destroy your enemies, employing hyperbolic rhetoric if necessary.

"When they go low, we go high" was the most pathetic, milquetoast poo poo ever lol

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

etalian posted:

So if through a miracle Bernie had won he should have put all his resources in safeguarding California and New York?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

pretty much, you'd think losing most of a region in the primary would be a clue that maybe you need to give your networks a second look and make sure everything's rock solid for the general.

Or maybe send some people to a burnt out trailer park, gently caress it

Instead she trusted computer program to make big strategic decisions for her campaign.

Makes me laugh how she tried to have a more high tech campaign than Obama's but ended up face planting due to forgetting the human element.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
every line by every other political campaign was designed by committee, it's only more immediately apparent when you compare it to a campaign run by the seat of somebody's pants

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

logikv9 posted:

hillary over-relied on the polling which was completely off the mark, while obama's polling (generally polling during 2008, 2012 overall) was actually on the money

if the polls reflected what actually happened you would have seen money flow into those states that she lost. not saying that it was 100% the polls fault, but they had a faulty map guiding a well-tuned machine more or less and they were so confident in their map and their machine that they didn't bother to look up

so basically what you are saying is she was mitt romney?

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Terror Sweat posted:

trumped up trickle down sounds like it was written by committee, much like everything she said and or did

hey at least it was about the economy

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

logikv9 posted:

doesn't help her reputation as being out of touch as hell tho. i mean not that it matters now except in a historical sense (and i guess going forward)

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

logikv9 posted:

every line by every other political campaign was designed by committee, it's only more immediately apparent when you compare it to a campaign run by the seat of somebody's pants

well yeah, but the good ones don't sound like they were

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

etalian posted:

Instead she trusted computer program to make big strategic decisions for her campaign.

Makes me laugh how she tried to have a more high tech campaign than Obama's but ended up face planting due to forgetting the human element.

even I have to admit that's probably the most hilarious and fitting thing about that failure of a campaign, yea.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

Make America Great Again?

Lying Crooked Hillary?

Trump's poo poo actually stuck. Clinton had "Dangerous Donald"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hillary Clinton literally lost the election because she trusted a computer model too much and forgot to do human outreach. I know it sounds like a bad fake news article but it's genuinely a major factor in her failure and is hilarious/terrible.

• Locked thread