Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Starshark posted:

Only a quarter of Americans - Americans are 'climate skeptics'. They're really in a minority, they just like to spray their poo poo everywhere because they think they're speaking truth to power. It becomes a problem when some of them get into government. But I don't think they're getting elected on a climate skeptic platform.
truth to power is important. We must stop all those rich, powerful researchers bullying poor, defenceless companies like Shell, Exxon, BP, etc. You know, those companies that make up 5 of the 10 largest corporations in the world.

I actually had a university academic telling me this at last year's Faculty Christmas party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Solemn Sloth posted:

Climate change wasn't the centre of Trumps platform but did you ignore the whole Tony Abbott carbon tax thing or what.

I don't think Abbott was voted in on the Carbon tax so much as he was the alternative to Rudd-Gillard-Rudd. Only twenty percent of Australians are climate skeptics.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Mr Chips posted:

truth to power is important. We must stop all those rich, powerful researchers bullying poor, defenceless companies like Shell, Exxon, BP, etc. You know, those companies that make up 5 of the 10 largest corporations in the world.

I actually had a university academic telling me this at last year's Faculty Christmas party.

Geologist or engineer?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Starshark posted:

I don't think Abbott was voted in on the Carbon tax so much as he was the alternative to Rudd-Gillard-Rudd. Only twenty percent of Australians are climate skeptics.

You're putting too much weight on whether people self describe as climate sceptic or not, and not on the actual action that they take (voting for an explicitly climate sceptic platform)

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
bingo

There are social science researchers doing research into why engineers, who are quite on the money when it comes to stuff like building power supplies or bridges that work, are so prone to conspiracy thinking can crackpottery when it comes to stuff outside of their discipline.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 21, 2016

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mr Chips posted:

bingo

There are social science researchers doing research into why engineers, who are quite on the money when it comes to stuff like building power supplies or bridges that work, are so prone to conspiracy thinking can crackpottery when it comes to stuff outside of their discipline.

I imagine it's down to the fact that engineering is all about facts and logic and predictability. Conspiracy theories often appeal to people because they reduce uncertainty in the world. The idea that some guys with box knives could kill thousands and shape global politics for decades to come is a terrifying level of uncertainty and randomness in the world. It's more comforting to picture that it's a conspiracy at the top levels of government, and now that we are onto them they can't do it again.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Is there any research showing that engineers actually are more prone to believing in conspiracy theories once social background, etc. is taken into account?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Mr Chips posted:

its because they're assholes, op

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

open24hours posted:

Is there any research showing that engineers actually are more prone to believing in conspiracy theories once social background, etc. is taken into account?

I seriously doubt there is, or that engineers are more conspiracy prone than non-engineers. My open anecdotal experience of engineers is that

BBJoey posted:

its because they're assholes, op

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I work with an engineer but he's an environmental sustainability engineer (one of the good ones)

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

open24hours posted:

Recoome posted:

I seriously doubt there is, or that engineers are more conspiracy prone than non-engineers. My open anecdotal experience of engineers is that
The point of the research is to establish this...you generally don't get research funded if it's a well trodden path.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Right, but you'd have to establish that they actually are more prone to believing in conspiracy theories before you got into why they are.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Mr Chips posted:

The point of the research is to establish this...you generally don't get research funded if it's a well trodden path.

I'm saying that there's probably no/not a lot of research to support the assertion that engineers are more conspiracy prone

Also lmao about the "untrodden path" thing WRT research funding

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mr Chips posted:

Depends. Structural engineers seem to be ok compared to architects, see a 9/11 truther near you. I think it might depend on the conspiracy theory.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It seems to be more that they're far more likely to be libertarians to me. It's that libertarians are conspiracy minded. :shrug:

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
As a civil engineer, it's a pretty safe bet to assume that any engineer you interact with is a fuckwit. Having technical knowledge in one niche area gives one the misguided belief that they're an expert on all topics.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I hope that new union to replace the shoppies goes well, but as the article states others have already tried and failed to knock them over :smith:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

thatfatkid posted:

As a civil engineer, it's a pretty safe bet to assume that any engineer you interact with is a fuckwit. Having technical knowledge in one niche area gives one the misguided belief that they're an expert on all topics.

Also see lawyers.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

thatfatkid posted:

As a civil engineer, it's a pretty safe bet to assume that any engineer you interact with is a fuckwit.
Checks out.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
It's getting to be an awfully long list guys. Even after we confiscate all the guns and bullets we still might not have enough.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

One Nation Senator Rod Culleton has fronted the High Court today, over whether he was a valid candidate at the last federal election.

He faced media after the directions hearing, telling reporters he had already won and he is "not mentally deranged at all" as he slowly turned into a corn cob

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

thatfatkid posted:

I used to tutor a civil engineer's kids, used to see books about "debunking evolution" and climate skeptic stuff around the house, we had conversations about how the hypothesis of planets forming from a protoplanetary disk didn't make sense. Joke's on him I explained the truth of how horses evolved, and the recurrent laryngeal nerve in giraffes :boom:

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Synthbuttrange posted:

One Nation Senator Rod Culleton has fronted the High Court today, over whether he was a valid candidate at the last federal election.

He faced media after the directions hearing, telling reporters he had already won and he is "not mentally deranged at all" as he slowly turned into a corn cob

Ugh, corn cob, does that mean PHON is going to be government at the next election?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Probably

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

hawaiian_robot posted:

I used to tutor a civil engineer's kids, used to see books about "debunking evolution" and climate skeptic stuff around the house, we had conversations about how the hypothesis of planets forming from a protoplanetary disk didn't make sense. Joke's on him I explained the truth of how horses evolved, and the recurrent laryngeal nerve in giraffes :boom:

I worked with a geotechnical engineering firm whose director was a young earth creationist and most the staff were too. I'm not sure how that place didn't collapse into a blackhole from such concentrated amounts of cognitive dissonance.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Mr Chips posted:

bingo

The field attracts people who think they're exceptional and like things to be black and white without nuance. Conspiratorial bollocks suits that rather nicely - usually it's something easily understood and by believing it you're smarter than everyone else who accepts the mainstream points of view.

It's why so many of them are libertarian. Learn some introductory macroeconomics and you're now an expert with an answer for every situation and you can consider yourself superior to people on the mainstream left and right.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

I work with an engineer but he's an environmental sustainability engineer (one of the good ones)

environmental engineers are one end of the scale. the other end is software engineers (not even a real engineer mr speaker!)

speaking of mr speaker, dutton just confirmed in parliament that following in-depth phrenological analysis, the Lebanese are more inclined towards terrorism than the other races and must all be deported for the good of white australia

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

BBJoey posted:

environmental engineers are one end of the scale. the other end is software engineers (not even a real engineer mr speaker!)

speaking of mr speaker, dutton just confirmed in parliament that following in-depth phrenological analysis, the Lebanese are more inclined towards terrorism than the other races and must all be deported for the good of white australia

Even the Christian Lebanese? Dude's a hard-liner.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Nope, just them evil Moors.

quote:

Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has suggested that the Fraser government made a mistake by resettling Lebanese refugees.

Mr Dutton last week stated that former prime minister Malcolm Fraser "did make mistakes in bringing some people in" as part of his immigration policies in the 1970s.

When pressed on those comments during Question Time today, Mr Dutton singled out people of Lebanese-Muslim background.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

Nope, just them evil Moors.

Not even dog whistling, Mr Speaker, just plain ordinary whistling!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Joe Hockey in particular was a mistake.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Federal Attorney-General George Brandis says the Liberal National Party in Queensland is 'very, very mediocre' and suggests the merger between the Coalition partners in the state may need to be reconsidered.

Senator Brandis was caught criticising the Queensland LNP on camera while speaking to The head of the Victorian Liberal Party, Michael Kroger, at its annual general meeting on Sunday.

Seemingly unaware of nearby microphones, Mr Kroger asks Senator Brandis; 'how are things in Queensland, how's Tim Nicholls going?'

'They're not very good...I'd say that the state opposition is very, very mediocre, and the state government is very, very mediocre but the thing that is alarming everyone is, as you would expect, the sudden spike in One Nation which is now at about 16 per cent,' Senator Brandis responds.

'One Nation as you know their strength is in heartland National Party seats, and heartland Labor Party seats, the old industrial seats around Ipswich and western Brisbane.' Senator Brandis says.

'I think there is every reason to believe that they will win quite a few seats in the state election.'

Senator Brandis also raised the prospect of demerging the Liberal and National Parties in his home state due to Labor reintroducing compulsory preferential voting.

'The Labor Party are bringing back compulsory preferential,' Senator Brandis says.

Mr Kroger responds saying; 'oh are they?'

'Yes they are, yes they are... which somewhat attacks the raison d'etre of the merger of the Liberal Party and National Party, I think there might be a revisiting of things as a result of compulsory preferential voting,' Senator Brandis responds.

'Well we prefer optional preferential,' Mr Kroger says.
- See more at: http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2016/11/21/qld-lnp-very-very-mediocre--brandis.html#sthash.SHNRgTZt.dpuf

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Cartoon posted:

Not from a comedian's point of view!

So yeah agreed.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Cartoon posted:

This but unironically.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Federal Attorney-General George Brandis says the Liberal National Party in Queensland is 'very, very mediocre' and suggests the merger between the Coalition partners in the state may need to be reconsidered.

Senator Brandis was caught criticising the Queensland LNP on camera while speaking to The head of the Victorian Liberal Party, Michael Kroger, at its annual general meeting on Sunday.

Seemingly unaware of nearby microphones, Mr Kroger asks Senator Brandis; 'how are things in Queensland, how's Tim Nicholls going?'

'They're not very good...I'd say that the state opposition is very, very mediocre, and the state government is very, very mediocre but the thing that is alarming everyone is, as you would expect, the sudden spike in One Nation which is now at about 16 per cent,' Senator Brandis responds.

'One Nation as you know their strength is in heartland National Party seats, and heartland Labor Party seats, the old industrial seats around Ipswich and western Brisbane.' Senator Brandis says.

'I think there is every reason to believe that they will win quite a few seats in the state election.'

Senator Brandis also raised the prospect of demerging the Liberal and National Parties in his home state due to Labor reintroducing compulsory preferential voting.

'The Labor Party are bringing back compulsory preferential,' Senator Brandis says.

Mr Kroger responds saying; 'oh are they?'

'Yes they are, yes they are... which somewhat attacks the raison d'etre of the merger of the Liberal Party and National Party, I think there might be a revisiting of things as a result of compulsory preferential voting,' Senator Brandis responds.

'Well we prefer optional preferential,' Mr Kroger says.
- See more at: http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2016/11/21/qld-lnp-very-very-mediocre--brandis.html#sthash.SHNRgTZt.dpuf

LNP Coalition breaks down in QLD, Nationals enter into formal coalition with One Nation.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
The One National Party

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So Dutton went full out racist in Parliament.

Someone ask him how many LNP representatives have gone to jail or been found guilty of crimes in the last 30 years, and why is that so much a larger group of that population that Lebanese decadents who have been charged with terror related crimes?

We should deport all members of the LNP.

Also, how many QLD police have gone to jail in the same time period.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

The One National Party

1nation2parties.webm

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
My sauces say the LNP and ONP have been exploring a formal coalition for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Anidav posted:

My sauces say the LNP and ONP have been exploring a formal coalition for awhile.

Then the Coalition deserves a major dressing down.

• Locked thread