Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Fister Roboto posted:

Nice.

Now if only I had more than one free SB gauge materia. Cloud is being really stubborn with his, and I still need a spare MC2 for Ramza.

Just in case I'm understanding you right, Ramza's is NOT a free SB gauge RM. It's one that helps you build it faster when using attack or abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
It's not a super optimal min/max use of your stamina, but if you really want to get a random RM to drop (and it doesn't drop from a specific realm), you can just run the first stage of the first realm dungeon (Zanarkand) over and over for 2 stamina. I've done several this way.

Also you might know this already, but you have to have Cloud's second RM before Mako Might will drop, and it has a really specific drop criteria; check the Record Materia section of the Library for details.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
Honestly, given how much power you get out of the major SB Materia(Mako/Mog, at least), I'd say it is a fairly optimal use of your Stamina.

There very well could be times you may fail to clear +++/Ultimate/U+(depending on power level) that you wouldn't have done so if you had one/both of them-and the gain from even one such orb stash is worth burning a ton of stamina for, even if there's nothing else special on that fight(and there likely is).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

bilperkins2 posted:

Just in case I'm understanding you right, Ramza's is NOT a free SB gauge RM. It's one that helps you build it faster when using attack or abilities.

For some reason I thought it was. So there's only two free gauge materias?

Also do the ATK buffs stack additively or multiplicatively?

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Only the two, and multiplicative I believe.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Bonus Battle report: If you have Bahamut these fights are a total joke, but any solid AOE option can probably do the job well enough. U+ and U++ both died in 3-4 turns.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Dark Dragon didn't do much besides cast that aoe every few turns, Flan Master was an rear end in a top hat who reflected himself and spammed aoe every single turn along with all the flans doing the same (gigas armlet does work) and :lol: calcas + brinas was the biggest joke of a U++ I've seen yet

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Sounds like Yang's Exploding Kick may be extremely useful for these Ultimates.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Oof, having decent mitigation was the toughest part of the bonus battles. Might have been better to use Wall, but not getting Edward's BSB didn't enable me to have native Boostga. :argh:

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Man Cecil's BSB is my white whale even if it's falling off in relevance but I think I'm gonna abstain from pulling. Onion Knight is on the way and I've got a handful of good BSBs. Still Pally Cecil is so useful on hard content aaaaa

Maybe I'll wait to go real deep on another FF4 banner when Golbez's thing comes out.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Dollar Draw got me Palom's new SSB! :toot: Holy, Fire and Lightning are all pretty common weaknesses and MAG/RES down will be great on any mage team.

Also fulfills my goal of getting something for Palom and Porom (Medica + Hastega). Also got Eddie's Mage Shout and Golbez's SSB so I'm all set for FFIV twin mage meta.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

100-gem was a 5*!

...off-banner Emerald Bracer (X)

Dammit, this wasn't the banner I wanted my 14% chance to come through on, and certainly not for THAT.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Nice.

Now if only I had more than one free SB gauge materia. Cloud is being really stubborn with his, and I still need a spare MC2 for Ramza.
you got Cloud's RM2, right? I believe you need to beat a particular stage with Cloud in your party to get it

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Yeah you can pretty much just beat these Ultimates with good mitigation and a couple people swinging Dusk's Decree.

Native skills not needed outside the basics, though I'm not sure how easy it'd be to do without the full Shellga/Wall/Sarabande suite. (Stumble Step sure helps.)

Definitely not too hard, and definitely the easiest U++ yet. (The only real jump from Flan Master was somewhat more magic damage and a time limit, in practice. Like hell I'm fighting the manbaby doll.)

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

pichupal posted:

Dollar Draw got me Palom's new SSB! :toot: Holy, Fire and Lightning are all pretty common weaknesses and MAG/RES down will be great on any mage team.

Also fulfills my goal of getting something for Palom and Porom (Medica + Hastega). Also got Eddie's Mage Shout and Golbez's SSB so I'm all set for FFIV twin mage meta.

Got the same with my dollar! I've also got SSBs for Porom, so along with Rydia's BSB and Yang doing earth imperil I have a decent mage team for IV going if I RW Sheepsong.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Dollar pull was... Cecil BSB. That's, uh, pretty good and I now have a SB weapon for my favorite protagonist.

All my BSBS are holy: Cecil, Ramza, Locke, Beatrix. That's a pretty good team.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

Sega 32X posted:

Dollar pull was... Cecil BSB. That's, uh, pretty good and I now have a SB weapon for my favorite protagonist.

All my BSBS are holy: Cecil, Ramza, Locke, Beatrix. That's a pretty good team.

Oh hey, sort of on this subject. What do you get when you combine Shout, Cecil's BSB, and Beatrix's BSB? A lot of dead dolls in the U++. If they aren't weak to Holy already, fire off Knight Protector into the crowd and go ham with your holy AoEs. They'll keep spamming with weak attacks (as long as you get your defenses up), so basically free charge. That was a nice breeze compared to friggin' Atlas last week. Now if only I could pull off something similar with Atlas's drat arm.

Definitely going to have to aim for Pecil's OSB. EnHoly + Burst + Overstrike = dead anything, practically.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Character selection in multiplayer setup is going to be interesting. Traditionally there's this impasse where nobody wants to heal or play support and we all wait around waiting for somebody else to blink first, but the bragging angle of "Check out my 6* Artemis Bow, peasant" might mitigate that. I'll probably never get to use my fun offensive BSBs most of the time and just be stuck being the guy who brings Shout and the Medica/Magic Blink, but there's a quiet dignity there.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SageAcrin posted:

Native skills not needed outside the basics, though I'm not sure how easy it'd be to do without the full Shellga/Wall/Sarabande suite. (Stumble Step sure helps.)

Doing the Cid's Mission with pretty poor synergy (only native 5*s I brought into the fight were a generic Gold Hairpin and Golbez' Ebon Armor), your not Dusk Decree users are pretty much dedicated to keeping everyone alive. I actually ran a triple healer setup - Rosa with Curaja, Fusoya with Curada, and Pecil with Curaga (he also had Magic Break for medals). Curada definitely pulled its weight here.

I'd also go for command 1 over the AoE early on to make sure you kill Flan Master quickly; Ultimate Thundaga hurts, and the self-heal feature will also alleviate pressure from your healers. Once he's dead, just get AoE going, and make sure you have leftover abilities afterwards - I used up all my Bahamuts, a R1 Meteor, and two shots of Golbez's Nightglow.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Protectga stacks with everything because it's a Status Effect rather then a Stat Buff.

This isn't quite right. Protect is a +50% DEF stat buff just like any other stat buff, and doesn't stack with any other source of pure +DEF. Although I think every source says "grants Protect" instead of "raises Defence" apart from Enveloping Etude.

EDIT - oh huh although it does apparently stack with Draw Fire's DEF buff, and with the Shield Bash/Steal Defense DEF buff.

hit button fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Nov 21, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
So...can Dusk's Decree or its command 1 be reflected? Because if not I think I know what I'm doing for the U+.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Took down the dolls with mostly mage squad, but used Yang for earth imperil.

Yang: Lifesiphon R4/Meteor Crush R2 (Earth imperil SSB)
Rydia: Meltdown R1/Chain Stonega R2 (BSB)
Krile: Bahamut R3/Chain Thundaga R2 (Sheepsong)
Tyro: Meteor R4/Multi Break R2 (Keeper's Tome)
Rosa: Wrath R4/Curada R1 (Divine Heal)
RW: Sentinel's Grimoire

Led off with Sheepsong, Keeper's Tome, and SG to get mitigation up and start nuking thereafter. Tyro was there to stick Multi Break followed by as many Meteor casts as possible. Krile focused entirely on using up Bahamut cats before popping another Sheepsong and working the Brinas down with Chain Thundaga.

Yang got earth imperil up as soon as possible and Rydia proceeded to melt everything thereafter with her BSB and whatever her strongest available abilities were. I didnt take all the dolls down simultaneously, but I did knock them off fast enough before they could combine.

Really fun that I ended up with Yang and Rydia's goodies and let me try an unorthodox start for the U++ for a change. Getting Paloma and Porom's relics made them handy in the U and U+ fights as well. Hopefully I can grab Kain's BSB off the lucky draw on Friday.

But now I am ready for OK.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

So...can Dusk's Decree or its command 1 be reflected? Because if not I think I know what I'm doing for the U+.

Omega didn't bounce it for me

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

hit button posted:

This isn't quite right. Protect is a +50% DEF stat buff just like any other stat buff, and doesn't stack with any other source of pure +DEF. Although I think every source says "grants Protect" instead of "raises Defence" apart from Enveloping Etude.

EDIT - oh huh although it does apparently stack with Draw Fire's DEF buff, and with the Shield Bash/Steal Defense DEF buff.

Protectga literally is a status effect and will absolutely stack with pure +Def buffs. It even ignores the buff-stacking caps. Or to get technical, pure DEF buffs like from Bartz' Trueblade of Legend is status ID 604, while Protect is the unique ID 207.

Also, Protect is a 100% def buff, so it doubles your defense.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Schwartzcough posted:

Protectga literally is a status effect and will absolutely stack with pure +Def buffs. It even ignores the buff-stacking caps. Or to get technical, pure DEF buffs like from Bartz' Trueblade of Legend is status ID 604, while Protect is the unique ID 207.

Also, Protect is a 100% def buff, so it doubles your defense.

The same is also true of Shell, (and, though it doesn't actually matter Haste).

If it can be cleared by a normal dispel, it will stack with the effects that can't, is an okay way to think of it if you have trouble keeping track. Alternately, just remember that Protect Shell and Haste stack with everything that isn't a second casting of protect shell and haste, and that they "don't count" when determining what the other stat buffs on an effect (the attack on shout, or the +res that is on Echo's SSB along with shell) will stack with.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

The entry can't be reflected. Command 1 can be, but since the entry can't be, you have a turn to get a banishing strike up.

(Alternately, just use command 2 which is AE and also can't be reflected. You give up the self heal though.)

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Dollar pulled the Lamia Harp. Seems like it's good for support for a knight team.

I would use it for Dark Dragon but haven't leveled Edgar up past 50 and I'm trying to save growth eggs for OK. I was close to beating it but it caught me by surprise with Dark Breath. I misunderstood what Dark Breath did, I thought it was another gravity type attack, so I wasn't prepared when he killed two of my DPS units when he had about 1/4 health left. Just couldn't finish the job after that.

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

just remember that Protect Shell and Haste stack with everything that isn't a second casting of protect shell and haste.

I'd agree with this if Enveloping Etude and Spellbend Etude said "grants protect/shell" instead of "raises defense/resistance". Ultimately it seems you're pretty much stuck checking datamined buff ids rather than being able to consistently work stuff out from ingame descriptions.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

hit button posted:

I'd agree with this if Enveloping Etude and Spellbend Etude said "grants protect/shell" instead of "raises defense/resistance". Ultimately it seems you're pretty much stuck checking datamined buff ids rather than being able to consistently work stuff out from ingame descriptions.

Enveloping Etude and Spellbend Etude grant protect and shell. That they don't have the same description as protect and shell is basically another case of DENA is sloppy and lovely st translating this stuff.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Question for goons playing the Japanese version: Do any bosses start resisting imperil effects? I just realized how much mithril I put into trying to get solid imperil teams and I would be screwed if they started getting phased out.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

CaptainPsyko posted:

The entry can't be reflected. Command 1 can be, but since the entry can't be, you have a turn to get a banishing strike up.

(Alternately, just use command 2 which is AE and also can't be reflected. You give up the self heal though.)
This is incorrect, I just beat the U+ and cleansing storm most definitely went right through reflect. I didn't dispel it once.

Also, a tip for anyone going after calcabrina: RW Dagger of Resolve—the command AoE is better than Dusk's Decree, 4,00 vs 3,14, not to mention a much more useful AoE opener—on your two strongest casters, bring a faithga, and enjoy. I mastered it with zero medal loss this way with no hastega, wall, or medica used. (I brought wall and a medica but never had to use them.)

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
Yeah okay, those bonus battles were pretty easy. I even accidentally killed the Flans and watched Flan Master revive them, had enough hones to kill them all again and still got full medals. The dolls were whatever, AOE's all day and they never got a chance to transform. Guess I don't have to pull on the FF4 banners after all.

Now back to figuring out when I should actually sit down and learn the gimmicks for these uncleared dogshit Nightmares.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Question for goons playing the Japanese version: Do any bosses start resisting imperil effects? I just realized how much mithril I put into trying to get solid imperil teams and I would be screwed if they started getting phased out.

They don't, in fact Imperil becomes even more useful going forward, as D200/250 bosses start having only 50% weaknesses instead of 100%. This means that they can be affected by Imperil for a 70% bonus damage from their weaknesses.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Kinda fun bonus battles, Mage Meta reigns supreme for a change. Ult + and Ult ++ are basically Summoning Nightmare MK III. If you have the hones, the fights are a joke.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
I just had a last minute smash at the FF13 U++.

Had some issues initially with serah bursts, forgot slowga etc. Second attempt ended up going RW Maria's song, and bursting down with Maria's BSB.

Maria meta is legit

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Picked up my first MC2 from this event. Should I just go ahead and use this on Cloud to go for Mako Might? I don't have anything for Tyro, but I do have Cloud's OSB so right this second he feels like the better choice.

Unless Cloud has a shot at his second memory crystal coming up some time soon?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Wilekat posted:

Picked up my first MC2 from this event. Should I just go ahead and use this on Cloud to go for Mako Might? I don't have anything for Tyro, but I do have Cloud's OSB so right this second he feels like the better choice.

Unless Cloud has a shot at his second memory crystal coming up some time soon?

He doesn't, so go ahead and drop it on Cloud. Tyro might be versatile, but he won't do a lot for you without one of his SBs unless you really need that specific ability setup.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Ya'll with your fancy pants BSBs. The dolls take so long to combine I managed to kill them all almost entirely with R4 Ixion, R2 Tornado Strike, and R3 Meteor, with an R2 Stumble Step to soften them up. Best equipment was all 6*+++; I have two IV relics but chose not to bring either character (Kain's Blood Lance and Golbez's Ebon Armor). I brought Vincent and his SSB but by the time he got to use it half the dolls were dead anyway.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
If you have Ashe BSB set as your RW, please don't forget to gear it for IV synergy for this event, or with +lightning gear if you don't have mage stuff for IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Grozz Nuy posted:

If you have Ashe BSB set as your RW, please don't forget to gear it for IV synergy for this event, or with +lightning gear if you don't have mage stuff for IV.

Hmmm.... 462 with 2x small lightning boosts, or 517 with none? Mine is set for the latter.

• Locked thread