Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

sarehu posted:

By what standards of what makes a programming language good are Forth and APL any good?
Forth probably doesn't meet any standard you would consider legitimate. Its main advantage is a tiny toolchain that can be readily bootstrapped onto hardware (if that hardware is documented). Having been bootstrapped, it can be used to write, compile and test code interactively on a target system, even if that is a microcontroller with a serial cable hanging off it

It is not designed for translating high level mathematical concepts, nor for capturing and reusing best practices, nor for making applications that grandma can use.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

succinctness is a lost virtue

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I haven't looked at APL in any detail but apparently it is what you would get if you took "the unix philosophy" and replaced "text is the universal interface" with "arrays are the universal data structure"

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
oh so it's like php

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

pokeyman posted:

oh so it's like php
No no you keep the rest of the philosophy

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if you can't do all you need with arrays and maps you might just not be trying hard enough

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

pokeyman posted:

oh so it's like php

"What if the world were made of Strings?" -> Tcl.
"What if the world were made of cons pairs?" -> Lisp.
"What if the world were made of rectangular arrays?" -> APL/J.
"What if the world were made of chewing gum and baling wire?" -> PHP.

From an educational standpoint, Forth is a good language because it is extremely simple and flexible. A cute metacircular Lisp evaluator fits on about a page, but leaves out many essential details of a functioning interpreter- parsing, garbage collection, the environment structure, etc. You can write a Forth that runs on metal in a few pages of assembly language and actually understand how every piece works in detail. I think it's a valuable intellectual exercise if nothing else. For practical application development anywhere outside embedded systems it's admittedly hard to make a case for Forth.

APL and its descendants are good languages because they succinctly capture a good way of thinking about problem solving; notation as a tool of thought. Idiomatic APL is naturally data-parallel and, by virtue of not needing many (if any) control structures, is very easy to test and develop interactively. Modern scientific computing libraries like Pandas are essentially converging towards ideas that first arose in APL, so even if you don't like APL's syntax, I think one could argue that the semantic flavor of these languages is winning out. I've found K to be a lovely language for livecoding and prototyping graphics programs (albeit using my own tools), and I think it is well-suited to a variety of situations where a programmer wants to perform ad-hoc data analysis.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Internet Janitor posted:

For practical application development anywhere outside embedded systems it's admittedly hard to make a case for Forth.

Unless you happen to fall into a parallel fantasy land and need to develop a toolkit for magic.
https://www.amazon.com/Wizards-Bane-Wiz-Biz-Book-ebook/dp/B00BER5FS0/ref=la_B000AP7R9M_1_1_twi_kin_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1479761139&sr=1-1

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i read those and hoo boy were they mid-90s baen books

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

fritz posted:

i read those and hoo boy were they mid-90s baen books

Oh yeah. I just remember that the main character is explicitly using Forth for his magical programming.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

ulmont posted:

Oh yeah. I just remember that the main character is explicitly using Forth for his magical programming.

Pretty much everything I have read about Forth leads me to believe it is dark magic so this makes sense.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"well i think i've explored everything that can be done with zeros, so i'm going to look into ones now"

*time passes*

"ones are ridiculous, they're thin and pointy and practically designed for you to hurt yourself. this industry is insane"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gazpacho posted:

"well i think i've explored everything that can be done with zeros, so i'm going to look into ones now"

*time passes*

"ones are ridiculous, they're thin and pointy and practically designed for you to hurt yourself. this industry is insane"

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Gazpacho posted:

*time passes*

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

VikingofRock posted:

Pretty much everything I have read about Forth leads me to believe it is dark magic so this makes sense.

what'd make you think it's dark

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

holy poo poo

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if there is one language that you shouldn't read about over trying it is forth, it is literally the easiest thing in the world to learn. spend an hour learning the entire core language, and another hour writing a perfectly competent implementation of it :)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what about fith

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

um, im assuming these forth conventions are total sausage fests then?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

As compared to the more normal gender balance of a perl convention?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

is python still the current hipste?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

no, it is pretty clearly on the way out. matters a bit up in the air on the current hipste though

i think the people who determine these things are a bit busy with like disrupting their colons and and driving into semis and similar actually

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

that seems like a very safe assumption for pretty much any programming language convention. llvm has been trying pretty hard to change this for their meetups (and they do have a bunch of female contributors who could potentially attend) but i don't think they've had much success.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

no, it is pretty clearly on the way out. matters a bit up in the air on the current hipste though

i think the people who determine these things are a bit busy with like disrupting their colons and and driving into semis and similar actually

python succeeded and made it to the point of being a boring safe choice rather than the cool language you had to fight to be able to use

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Plorkyeran posted:

python succeeded and made it to the point of being a boring safe choice rather than the cool language you had to fight to be able to use

and then forked it to make python 3

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tef posted:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
isnt apl still big in a bunch of insurers

lots of financial firms use K but kdb is rear end

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Gazpacho posted:

I haven't looked at APL in any detail but apparently it is what you would get if you took "the unix philosophy" and replaced "text is the universal interface" with "arrays are the universal data structure"

APL: unreadable matlab

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
elixir is the current hipste language

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if only we would be so blessed

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Malcolm XML posted:

isnt apl still big in a bunch of insurers

lots of financial firms use K but kdb is rear end
i never understood why APL derivatives are so big in program trading, like why would you go into such a high-risk business and then undermine your margins by using a platform that has such a tiny talent pool

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

tef posted:

i actually think python 3 played a key role in helping 2.7 become a safe and boring choice. shops that standardized on 2.7 6 years ago have never had to deal with upgrading to a newer version with all the subtle breaking changes and library incompatibilities and such. things being "stagnant" means that your code doesn't bitrot and you don't have your developers fighting to get version X+1 rolled out so that they can use the shiny new features in that version.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Gazpacho posted:

i never understood why APL derivatives are so big in program trading, like why would you go into such a high-risk business and then undermine your margins by using a platform that has such a tiny talent pool

you're looking for an edge over your competitors. you're not going to hire better people, because nobody even knows how to quantify programmer quality let alone measure it. so you look for a magic technology instead.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

Because they're special snowflakes and need special snowflake languages?

I imagine it's like how companies companies really, really want to be told they have "big data".

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 23, 2016

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Gazpacho posted:

my guess is that APL people tend to be the kind of programmer who can create usable prototype algorithms in a fast way

it's not a feature of APL per se, but just a different programming standard that is useful for the industry

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Bloody posted:

what about fith

forth++

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Plorkyeran posted:

that seems like a very safe assumption for pretty much any programming language convention. llvm has been trying pretty hard to change this for their meetups (and they do have a bunch of female contributors who could potentially attend) but i don't think they've had much success.

the llvm conference this year had a lot of women attending and speaking, i want to say 40 or so of the 400 total attendees, which is obviously not great in overall proportions but way better than it could be

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Go and JavaScript are the current hipste

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Sapozhnik posted:

Go and JavaScript are the current hipste

Second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

rjmccall posted:

the llvm conference this year had a lot of women attending and speaking, i want to say 40 or so of the 400 total attendees, which is obviously not great in overall proportions but way better than it could be

ah, that's good to hear