Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

wolrah posted:

I always have to wonder with the pot stats how it is they're testing. Most common tests look for metabolites which get absorbed in body fat and thus can stick around for a long time after the high is over, we're talking weeks to months for some people, where tests for most other recreational drugs look for things that are out of the body relatively quickly, in the range of hours in a lot of cases. Someone who only smokes weed on the weekend will still be flagged by most tests where someone who starts the day with an Irish coffee will be clean by the afternoon. Heroin sticks around a bit longer but is still mostly gone by the next day. Amphetamines are detectable for a day or two.

If someone uses a bunch of drugs over the weekend and then gets piss tested the following Thursday they'll likely only pop for pot, which kinda skews the statistics as far as non-dependent recreational drug users.

I would imagine that in these cases, where criminal charges can be laid, they do GCMS which can distinguish between metabolites and active THC. The dip tests that are used by employers aren't admissable in court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

nm posted:

I would imagine that in these cases, where criminal charges can be laid, they do GCMS which can distinguish between metabolites and active THC. The dip tests that are used by employers aren't admissable in court.

you dont do a dip test. the guy pisses in a cup and it gets sent off to a lab to be analyzed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Meanwhile, down under.
https://imgur.com/a/rVEGA

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

you dont do a dip test. the guy pisses in a cup and it gets sent off to a lab to be analyzed.

Yes, that is GCMS, but urine is a terrible source. Do they not draw blood for accidents?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

nm posted:

Yes, that is GCMS, but urine is a terrible source. Do they not draw blood for accidents?

Not really relevant, but interesting for some, I guess? Sweden = swab, norway = blood.

e: For right after said accident testing. I know some people have gotten paid leave days after to go leave blood tests in both countries for more extensive tests.

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 23, 2016

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
I was looking for high-speed footage of car suspension being exercised on a test stand, but I found this instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qgyGAJkvWY

Now I'm looking for a thermal camera view of something similar just to see how hot the springs get.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 28, 2016

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I don't think springs really heat up though? I thought metals only started getting hot once they're stretched past their elastic limit. Maybe you're thinking of shock absorber oil?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4RIBmM2ZF0

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

NoWake posted:

I don't think springs really heat up though? I thought metals only started getting hot once they're stretched past their elastic limit. Maybe you're thinking of shock absorber oil?

Springs do heat up when bounding and rebounding.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Train crash in Hoboken, 3 dead, over 100 seriously injured

Looks like it just ran through a red light into the station. Maybe a brake problem like the 1988 Gare de Lyon crash?

MikeCrotch fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 29, 2016

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

NoWake posted:

The energy has to go somewhere. It likely doesn't make a significant difference assuming the springs are appropriately sized for the application but they definitely heat up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Springs store energy, they do not consume it. The energy goes into the spring and then comes back out when it rebounds.

I mean, there's some loss due to the laws of thermodynamics applying to all things, but you get almost all of it back.

Shocks on the other hand, not so much.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

MikeCrotch posted:

Train crash in Hoboken, 3 dead, over 100 seriously injured

Looks like it just ran through a red light into the station. Maybe a brake problem like the 1988 Gare de Lyon crash?

Was listening to NPR this morning, they were asking about the auto-braking system and it was just agony hearing the expert go "nah it's too expensive to implement for a commuter situation".

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I saw a 360º video, maybe a youtube video that had freight train stuff on it including inside the freight train cab, BNSF maybe? Anyone else seen/remember it?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

RedMagus posted:

Was listening to NPR this morning, they were asking about the auto-braking system and it was just agony hearing the expert go "nah it's too expensive to implement for a commuter situation".

Haha, I remember when British Rail was privatised and it was decided that automatic braking was too expensive to implem-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladbroke_Grove_rail_crash
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southall_rail_crash

Oh.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Rondette posted:

Southern Rail is a notoriously bad rail service in the UK.

The workers want to strike. Southern Rail ask their harassed users to slag off the union that they don't want to talk to. The users do not do that thing for them. Hilarity ensues.

https://twitter.com/SouthernRailUK/status/782827298642857984

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
So my Dad is a retired road foreman for Amtrak and the last time he was in town was showing me some unpublished videos of accidents captured by onboard cameras (this was back in like 2012). One that really stood out was a train with Genesis locomotives hitting a tractor trailer and then derailing and ramming into some sort of DoD/Defense contractor facility with a ton of Bradleys and Abrams at about 80 MPH. It looked pretty intense but I can't for the life of me recall any news articles or videos of the incident.

Does that ring any bells for anybody?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McDeth posted:

So my Dad is a retired road foreman for Amtrak and the last time he was in town was showing me some unpublished videos of accidents captured by onboard cameras (this was back in like 2012). One that really stood out was a train with Genesis locomotives hitting a tractor trailer and then derailing and ramming into some sort of DoD/Defense contractor facility with a ton of Bradleys and Abrams at about 80 MPH. It looked pretty intense but I can't for the life of me recall any news articles or videos of the incident.

No, citizen. Remain where you are and someone will be with you shortly to discuss the clearly fictional event that never occurred :nsa:.

How do you feel about black bags over your head, incidentally? :tinfoil:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

McDeth posted:

Was it this?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/locosteve/galleries/72157626422604751/

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I caught something in the rumor mill, that a train (union pacific?) struck a woman (in california?) and the camera footage (allegedly) shows the engineer asleep in the conductors chair, and the conductor babysitting the LEADER/Optimzer auto throttle while playing a game on his cellphone.

Anyone heard anything even remotely like this?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

B4Ctom1 posted:

I caught something in the rumor mill, that a train (union pacific?) struck a woman (in california?) and the camera footage (allegedly) shows the engineer asleep in the conductors chair, and the conductor babysitting the LEADER/Optimzer auto throttle while playing a game on his cellphone.

Anyone heard anything even remotely like this?

The first half of that, at least:
Train [UP] fatally strikes Lincoln [CA] woman using motorized wheelchair

quote:

A 54-year-old woman using a motorized wheelchair died when she was struck by a freight train in Lincoln early Friday, according to police.

Lincoln and Union Pacific police officers responded to reports of a train that had suddenly stopped at First Street near Lincoln Boulevard at 12:07 a.m. It was also reported that a woman in a wheelchair was sighted near the train tracks.

When police arrived, they found the body of Sandra Jones and a motorized wheelchair south of the railroad crossing. Jones, a Lincoln resident, was pronounced dead at the scene by medical personnel.

The Union Pacific locomotive that struck Jones was said to be southbound, according to a Police Department news release. An investigation by the Placer County Coroner’s Office, as well as the Lincoln Police Department and Union Pacific, is pending.

The Lincoln Police Department warned of the dangers of being on the train tracks or attempting to cross the tracks unless signals permitted it. A locomotive engineer and conductor were referred to a peer counseling program.

vains
May 26, 2004

2 csx trains had a head on collision in philly. no fatalaties.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/10/28/2-freight-trains-collide-in-delco-reports-of-multiple-injuries/

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

I love the crocodile tears politician "demanding answers" to a head on collision

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

McDeth posted:

I love the crocodile tears politician "demanding answers" to a head on collision

Politician: "We demand answers!"

Railroad asks their lobbyist to look into his little black ledger

Politician: "Well thats enough questions for today boys. Lets go get us some drinks."

vains
May 26, 2004

its just political hay. this wasnt too far from that amtrak train derailment a couple of months ago. totally different tracks but 99.99% of people wouldn't know the difference.

in either case, its almost certainly something stupid. someone didnt line a switch or obey a signal or something was broken and people get hurt/poo poo gets damaged.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Old steam locomotives were equipped with devices to punish obnoxious railfans

https://gfycat.com/RegularBrightCalf

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Well that's certainly caused a mess: http://www.newshub.co.nz/nznews/kaikoura-rail-line-decimated-2016111413

That rail line and the road next to it are the only (land) way in and out Kaikoura which would be a particularly sucky place to get stuck.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

dissss posted:

Well that's certainly caused a mess: http://www.newshub.co.nz/nznews/kaikoura-rail-line-decimated-2016111413

That rail line and the road next to it are the only (land) way in and out Kaikoura which would be a particularly sucky place to get stuck.

It's pretty cool how the rail stayed together and just got pushed over to the other side of the road. Two new unplanned crossings.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
My state government (well a department of it) made this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VueIlRospms

Post other cool train songs itt

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1ce_1479523272

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Somebody is getting all brand new poo poo in their new house!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i lolled at the bicycle tire making a break for it

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:rip: Wonder if it was signed saying that trucks would get caught on it, because moving trucks usually have that lower bottom on it.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

iospace posted:

:rip: Wonder if it was signed saying that trucks would get caught on it, because moving trucks usually have that lower bottom on it.

of course

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nah, that's a generic "residential area, no semis" sign (which of course, they'll make exceptions for trucks making deliveries/pick ups). I have one of those at the end of my street.

This is the sign I'm talking about :

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I got stuck in the aftershock of that fiasco. Moving trucks regularly get stuck at that intersection. About once every other year. I want to say about 4 years ago they had 2 stuck within a month of each other, but they got them off the tracks before the train came. They updated the signs after that. It's right next to a really great park, hence the video.

Even if he saw the signs there isn't a last chance turnaround anyways.

edit: ^ they have that sign too, I think. There are a lot of signs that say no trucks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Why does everyone who sees something cool happen in front of them not know how to use their phone.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

~Coxy posted:

Why does everyone who sees something cool happen in front of them not know how to use their phone.

because they're cool and interesting people who go outside and see cool thing happen instead of being terrible idiot nerds indoors worrying about how strangers hold their phone

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I cannot believe this. Not the impact. Later, near the end. This might need to be shown elsewhere in AI. Holy poo poo what kind of car is that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lph35AFnpQo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

B4Ctom1 posted:

I cannot believe this. Not the impact. Later, near the end. This might need to be shown elsewhere in AI. Holy poo poo what kind of car is that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lph35AFnpQo

It's a Honda Civic coupe, maybe Si.