Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

prefect posted:

Could be. I'm not a real French person, so it could be a-okay grammatically. :shrug:

Also, Philip is just a huge rear end in a top hat at all times. Victoria's a snot ("thank you for the gifts; rest assured we will treat them with the respect they deserve"), but Philip calls your delegates heretics and wants to inquisition them for having wrong thoughts. Never not an rear end in a top hat. :mad:

Me either. I'm mostly saying I like the idea of being above "my name is".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

silvergoose posted:

Me either. I'm mostly saying I like the idea of being above "my name is".

I am mad about rude pretend historical figures in a video game. :rant:

:cripes:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

prefect posted:

I am so, so, so sick of "Scarborough Fair".
The game keeps playing kalinka over and over and over again for me if that rear end in a top hat Peter the Stupid Mustache so much as hints of being on the map. :bang:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

prefect posted:

I am so, so, so sick of "Scarborough Fair".

twistedmentat posted:

I turned off music.
Yea. I appreciate what they were going for with a single theme of civs that gets better as the era's progress, but I feel like they should have had a "base" more subdued track per era that plays the majority of the time, with your unique civ song fading in when notable events occur. As well as playing the other civs theme songs too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Victoria referring to herself as "We" is perfectly historically accurate.

I really like the snowy buildings, it's just a weird thing, I like snow in video games.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah, I definitely felt this was in line with how the Crown felt about it's Empire and their place in it.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Poil posted:

The game keeps playing kalinka over and over and over again for me if that rear end in a top hat Peter the Stupid Mustache so much as hints of being on the map. :bang:
I love that tune: I always tap my feet when it gets to the fast part. Then again, I do keep a Red Army choir playlist on my phone.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

https://youtu.be/E09LU6XVyxs

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I just had the best bug/feature/wtf moment of all Civ6.

I boot the game as Random Leader Immortal 6player map Shuffle. I get Russia and proceed to expand cities and poo poo, then Kongo ż? declares a surprise war against me because my capital was exposed from me being outside hunting barbs. I hold the line and wipe his units and conquer his first city, he says it was "a momentary madness" and wants to be best friends forever. SURE. I accept only to get ready to maul them... which I do as soon as I can. Kongo always has nice cities so I'm glad I wiped the fucker, I discover Japan to the east of him so of course he denounces me as a warmonger. I had Oligarchy so my units were quite experienced so I decide to tech the Bombard Science and after I upgrade my Catas I declare war on him. This fucker had city after city after city with the very last one on an island bordered with cliffs... after a long fight I conquer his final city and when I do so and get ready for his sweet defeated movie I get... the Lose Game video instead żżżż???? I go, gently caress I was so tunnel minded on my conquers that I probably got Culture or Religion defeat, I hit "Just One More Turn" and turns out Cleopatra had 4 civs under her religion (not me) but after wiping a civ it recounted the limit needed I guess?

Lmao this game.

turboraton fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 21, 2016

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It goes against the stupid "pretend the singleplayer is multiplayer" direction they've picked for the series, but Space/Relgiion/Tourism victories shouldn't end the game when an AI hits them. That victory option should be locked out for everyone else but the game should continue. Of course then they'd need some actual diplomatic meat to the game since nonsensical "I can't launch my spaceship if people visit your cities!" conflict is one of few drivers of diplomacy.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I do love this game and I think AI should try to win tho.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

prefect posted:

I wonder about the foreign languages. I was taught in school that you introduce yourself with "je m'appelle $name", and Catherine says "je suis Catherine".

It's what you'd say (in a formal setting) if the other person already knows your name but not what you look like.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Kassad posted:

It's what you'd say (in a formal setting) if the other person already knows your name but not what you look like.

Isn't it just "My name is ,..." and "I am ...."?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Powercrazy posted:

Yea. I appreciate what they were going for with a single theme of civs that gets better as the era's progress, but I feel like they should have had a "base" more subdued track per era that plays the majority of the time, with your unique civ song fading in when notable events occur. As well as playing the other civs theme songs too.

Maybe it was compounded by the lackluster quality of the other theming (art, quotes) of this game but I turned off the music faster than I did for 4 or 5. They did that video showing the dynamic music stuff which seemed cool but in practice it didn't really have an impact on me.

The English music especially took a downtick for me because the war theme for V was pretty drat good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5oO6wBrp8s

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yah but in other circumstances you'd phrase it as "I call myself XXXXX". Just how it works.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Little Bitch Man posted:

I love that tune: I always tap my feet when it gets to the fast part. Then again, I do keep a Red Army choir playlist on my phone.
I didn't hate or even dislike it but it does get annoying when it's the only song the game wants to play. It feels like the game barely has 10 different tunes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

twistedmentat posted:

I'm more annoyed that she's just "England" even though she specifically says "The United Kingdom".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Taear posted:

I'm more annoyed that she's just "England" even though she specifically says "The United Kingdom".

"...of Great Britain and Ireland, and soon, dare I say, the empire." :argh:

Although most of them are good at annoying me sometimes. "You have much that I do not! Do you want to see your people taken as slaves?" gently caress you, you jerk. Also, whatever China says when you have more wonders than they do. Cry more, loser.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

prefect posted:

Although most of them are good at annoying me sometimes. "You have much that I do not! Do you want to see your people taken as slaves?" gently caress you, you jerk. Also, whatever China says when you have more wonders than they do. Cry more, loser.

Never feel bad making GBS threads on Qin Shi Huang. In game, either.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Poil posted:

I didn't hate or even dislike it but it does get annoying when it's the only song the game wants to play. It feels like the game barely has 10 different tunes.

Yeah I agree, they totally can come out with more tracks for each Civ, especially Russia and America.
But I guess they didn't want to have to create the different era versions of the music again. Perhaps evolving music wasn't such a good idea after all.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Never feel bad making GBS threads on Qin Shi Huang. In game, either.

In 230 BC, the state of Qin had defeated the state of Han. A Han aristocrat named Zhang Liang swore revenge on the Qin emperor. He sold all his valuables and in 218 BC, he hired a strongman assassin and built him a heavy metal cone weighing 120 jin (roughly 160 lb or 97 kg).[40] The two men hid among the bushes along the emperor's route over a mountain. At a signal, the muscular assassin hurled the cone at the first carriage and shattered it. However, the emperor was actually in the second carriage, as he was travelling with two identical carriages for this very reason. Thus the attempt failed.[60] Both men were able to escape in spite of a huge manhunt.[40]

He threw a "heavy metal cone" at somebody to kill them? Who does that?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Maybe it was compounded by the lackluster quality of the other theming (art, quotes) of this game but I turned off the music faster than I did for 4 or 5. They did that video showing the dynamic music stuff which seemed cool but in practice it didn't really have an impact on me.

The English music especially took a downtick for me because the war theme for V was pretty drat good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5oO6wBrp8s

Aaaaare you going to Scaaaaarborough fair

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

prefect posted:

He threw a "heavy metal cone" at somebody to kill them? Who does that?
China is simply the world's leader in the field of cumbersome and unnecessarily dangerous technology. I mean, there's how many photos of people cycling along the highway with ten-meter-long plastic bags ballooned full of natural gas tied on in the gbs thread :v:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Je m'appelle = I'm called.
Je suis = I am.

Even in a straight up literal translation you can see why the grammar is wonky with the former:

Je m'appelle Catherine, reine de France = I'm called Catherine, Queen of France
Je suis Catherine, reine de France = I am Catherine, Queen of France

Which do you think Catherine would rather emphasise? The fact that people call her Catherine, or the fact that she's Queen of France?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Could her being Italian be a factor?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Megazver posted:

Could her being Italian be a factor?

He's saying that it's correct in the game.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The French spoken in her time was pretty different from the modern form of the language, anyway.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kassad posted:

The French spoken in her time was pretty different from the modern form of the language, anyway.

I was wondering how good the spoken Sumerian and Aztec were. :)

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
The Royal We has a Wikipedia page and everything, it's how pretty much every Western European monarch did it back in the day. The "we" means "God and I," since if you're born to be a monarch it's because God said so.

I'm loving the game so far but having a problem where enemies will settle right in the middle of my empire, loving up my borders, and when I declare war on them everybody else on the entire planet denounces me. Do you get better CBs with less horrific warmonger penalties later on? This has happened on two games at turn 225 or so. Playing on Prince.

Also in every game I've played I have never ever had a friendly AI for longer than like 20 turns. Hojo has said he's my friend and surprise wardecced me but that's it. Is normal?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

prefect posted:

This line started to get grating on me, I don't quite know why - there's this weird precociousness that rubs me the wrong way in how she delivers it.

By the way, the monarch of the United Kingdom wasn't de jure an emperor until Victoria was crowned Empress of India so in that sense it works factually, even though everyone called the United Kingdom "the British Empire" well before that. But if there's one person who'd be a stickler about proper style it'd be the monarch herself.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gay Horney posted:

The Royal We has a Wikipedia page and everything, it's how pretty much every Western European monarch did it back in the day. The "we" means "God and I," since if you're born to be a monarch it's because God said so.

I'm not objecting to the royal we on grammatical grounds. It just grates on my nerves. :argh:

I don't suppose there's any way to see where continents are divided up, is there? I'm always "discovering a new continent" and my scout did nothing but cross a river.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Efexeye posted:

6 is easily better at release than 4 and 5 were, but like with every other Civ game, you can't judge it until at least 2 expansions are out

Even with the memory leaks, 4 was miles more playable than this game is.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Gay Horney posted:

Besides, it could be worse: what Qin Shi Huang did was to ban everyone else from using the word "I". That must have been a right pain in the neck.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

prefect posted:

I'm not objecting to the royal we on grammatical grounds. It just grates on my nerves. :argh:

I don't suppose there's any way to see where continents are divided up, is there? I'm always "discovering a new continent" and my scout did nothing but cross a river.

How do you know when you've left Europe and entered Asia?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

prefect posted:

One of the lens views is specifically for seeing continents. It's pretty important in some cases, like with Philip and his Treasure Fleets bonus which works between cities on the same landmass but different continents.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 21, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Kanfy posted:

One of the lens views is specifically for seeing continents. It's pretty important with some civilizations like Philip as his Treasure Fleets bonus counts between cities on the same landmass but different continents.

:cripes:

I swear I would have read all the documentation if it had been in a printed manual. Honest.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Borsche69 posted:

Even with the memory leaks, 4 was miles more playable than this game is.

multiplayer didn't even work at the launch of 4, i disagree

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'll call this game out on all sorts of things, but the multiplayer is solid as a rock, has scenarios and a gamespeed specifically for it.

It's a huge step up on 5.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

prefect posted:

At a signal, the muscular assassin hurled the cone at the first carriage and shattered it.

The Mandate of Heaving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

homullus posted:

Could you describe the ruckus, sir?

This is a peaceful fellatiocracy, we need no knob ruckus.