Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

From my understanding majoring in English here basically means you couldn't get into any other courses so you get dumped into English, these are the people who then become English teachers.

Those who can, do. Those who cannot...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

How comfortable/isolated your country is certainly seems to have an effect. My experience in China is people very rarely speak English, but if they do they're good at it. In Korea a lot of people speak a tiny amount but it's rare to meet anyone who actually knows the language well enough to communicate. Japan is the most comfortably prosperous country in Asia and also has by far the lowest level of English I've encountered. But then you go somewhere like Cambodia and the English level is quite high. There you're motivated, speaking English can open a lot of opportunities.

This is not counting Hong Kong/Malaysia/Singapore since their English is British legacy stuff and doesn't fit.
You'd be surprised at how many people can hold an okay conversation in English or at least understand and say enough words to communicate in Japan but refuse to speak a word of it because they know their english isn't very good. It's some weird cultural thing. I'm sure it depends where you are, too. I agree overall though.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 20, 2016

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
English education in most of E. Asia is a joke and Im so glad to be out of that poo poo industry.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Khorne posted:

You'd be surprised at how many people can hold an okay conversation in English or at least understand and say enough words to communicate in Japan but refuse to speak a word of it because they know their english isn't very good. It's some weird cultural thing. I'm sure it depends where you are, too. I agree overall though.

Yeah alcohol definitely reveals a lot more English, but if you're not willing to speak then there's no practical difference between that and not knowing the language, IMO.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Outrail posted:

Those who can, do. Those who cannot...

Make a boat load of money hiring white people to sing and dance!

A lot of people seem to think English speaking ability is the key to the kingdom, but there are a lot of two-bit scammers in big cities in China who speak really good English, so...

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah alcohol definitely reveals a lot more English, but if you're not willing to speak then there's no practical difference between that and not knowing the language, IMO.

So you should get the students drunk before English class?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Koramei posted:

*e: I wonder how true this is for other languages with a big internet presence actually, I think I've heard it about French too. Basically the argument is that one of the reasons Korea has utterly abysmal productivity is that, where English speakers can just google whatever the hell instructions for doing something and there'll be several pages of often pretty decent answers, the equivalent for Korea is a couple of lovely Naver posts that could as well be flat out wrong, if they exist at all.

Korean productivity is 100% the fault of the environment in Korean businesses. I imagine their factories are pretty efficient, but whenever there is admin work they fall behind big time compared to western workers. An example was when I was working at the Korean provincial high school and the head Korean teacher was flabbergasted that I had completed the entire semester's work (lessons, handouts, exam, assignments) before the midpoint of the semester. I would create templates and re-use them with different lessons and materials, having most things fall into a simple form-factor instead of doing it the korean way where every day needed to be stated from scratch, which included creating a band new template despite the lesson being 99% similar to a previous one. They would also try and jam 5 different things into a lesson instead of doing one or two things for a longer time then when they are finished, moving on. It's sort of like every class was an episode of Game of Thrones where 20 things were happening every day, but they would continue for the whole year. So a student would do 5 minutes of one activity every class for the whole year instead of getting that activity out of the way in a week, then moving on.

Also a good 25% of all prep work in Korean offices involve obviously zoning out/sleeping at one's desk, which would never fly in the west. Another problem is that people lower on the totem pole have to do the work of their bosses, and their bosses' bosses. So the people at the bottom are doing the work of everyone above them, and it ends up taking much longer and being done rushed/half-assed. The environment is 100% to blame, and not the abilities of the people doing it. I can see how English resources would really help when it comes to programming, but for most jobs it isn't much of a factor.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

basic hitler posted:

I think people can generally recognize a functional need to interact with, even while holding petty disdain for, the outside world.

I grew up and live in a place where you're kind of handicapped if you can't at least say a few things, or at least understand a few things in both spanish and english, but parents scream and holler about pressing 1 for english and having to sit through double-length bilingual company meetings, they still put their kids through at least two years of foreign language, and in most poorer schools here, that just means spanish, and most would flip their poo poo if that was taken away

Where did you grow up?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Blistex posted:

Korean productivity is 100% the fault of the environment in Korean businesses. I imagine their factories are pretty efficient, but whenever there is admin work they fall behind big time compared to western workers. An example was when I was working at the Korean provincial high school and the head Korean teacher was flabbergasted that I had completed the entire semester's work (lessons, handouts, exam, assignments) before the midpoint of the semester. I would create templates and re-use them with different lessons and materials, having most things fall into a simple form-factor instead of doing it the korean way where every day needed to be stated from scratch, which included creating a band new template despite the lesson being 99% similar to a previous one. They would also try and jam 5 different things into a lesson instead of doing one or two things for a longer time then when they are finished, moving on. It's sort of like every class was an episode of Game of Thrones where 20 things were happening every day, but they would continue for the whole year. So a student would do 5 minutes of one activity every class for the whole year instead of getting that activity out of the way in a week, then moving on.

Also a good 25% of all prep work in Korean offices involve obviously zoning out/sleeping at one's desk, which would never fly in the west. Another problem is that people lower on the totem pole have to do the work of their bosses, and their bosses' bosses. So the people at the bottom are doing the work of everyone above them, and it ends up taking much longer and being done rushed/half-assed. The environment is 100% to blame, and not the abilities of the people doing it. I can see how English resources would really help when it comes to programming, but for most jobs it isn't much of a factor.

Also everyone is hungover and operating on about 3 hours of sleep.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I wonder what Rene Chang has to say about Trump's victory.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

Also everyone is hungover and operating on about 3 hours of sleep.

also being forced to go out late with the boss after work to bang prostitutes.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Ah, this is how it works.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

From my understanding majoring in English here basically means you couldn't get into any other courses so you get dumped into English, these are the people who then become English teachers.

So it's better than in the West where being an English major means you're technically capable of doing any other course, you just don't want to do that much work.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Jeoh posted:

So you should get the students drunk before English class?

Forcing someone to have two or three beers at a bar and speak whatever language they want to learn with a native speaker can teach you a lot.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pirate Radar posted:

So it's better than in the West where being an English major means you're technically capable of doing any other course, you just don't want to do that much work.

Pirate Radar, why you so cold? Engineering Major :smug:

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Haier posted:

Ah, this is how it works.

Not sure what you think is so strange about this. People in the south are generally shorter than in the north.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Hedenius posted:

Not sure what you think is so strange about this. People in the south are generally shorter than in the north.

Should be other way round due to increase in centrifugal force.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hedenius posted:

Yeah, it's really obvious if you've been to both the north and south. Northern girls are averaging around 5'5", while southern girls are around 5'1". It doesn't seem like much, but it is noticeable. A lot of people ask if my wife is some sort of super-tall anomaly (5'7") but back home in Jilin province she is just a little above average, and this really astounds people who just assume everyone in Asia is a pygmy. The best was seeing short US/UK/Can/Au people arriving in Korea and expecting to finally be "tall" or at least average, then being completely dwarfed by all the 6' guys and 5'5" girls in 3" heels.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
How tall do you have to be to be considered "Tall" in the different parts of asia? Where I am in the US, being "tall" starts at 6'2".

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Near Boston, I'd say 6'. Near Seattle, I'd say 6'2". People are taller out here!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

UltraRed posted:

How tall do you have to be to be considered "Tall" in the different parts of asia? Where I am in the US, being "tall" starts at 6'2".

also found this fatchart

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Anecdotally if you can say "180" or more as a guy they seem impressed by that.

That's 5' 11".

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
I used to teach post grad classes, when I first started I had a student who was under 5 foot and had a babyface. I figured since they were post grads and a bit older someone had brung their kid to school so I asked her where her parents where, she looked confused and said she was 23.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
heh heh looks like little japan isn't so little

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Sheep-Goats posted:

Anecdotally if you can say "180" or more as a guy they seem impressed by that.

That's 5' 11".
A lot of people lie about their height. I'm 185cm even and it's not very frequent I see someone taller than me. Although when they are taller it's either by barely an inch or by a poo poo ton. Except when I went to Iceland, like 1/5 people were taller than me god drat. It was neat.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 21, 2016

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I think it's gennerational depending on location. Yes, everywhere gets taller over time, but I used to be on the tall side of average, across a couple of decades of age range, but whatever they started feeding kids ten years after me caused them all to sprout up like dandelions (probably a move away from lovely frozen food towards fresh food and veg. Diet fads were around since the 70s sure, but actual healthy eating only really happened as a social phenomenon when I was early teens. But lovely frozen and tinned food was a British staple that didn't change much 1980-2010)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Visiting Kyoto makes me feel tiny because there are so many Dutch, Swedish and Russian tourists.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
I had beef and broccoli for dinner

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Hedenius posted:

The farthest north I have gone in this country is Shanghai and I plan on keeping it that way forever. My boss has said like 50 times she will take me to Beijing if I want to go next time she goes and I'm like "Nooooooooooope."

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
free trip to get a black lung sounds like a blast

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Haier posted:

The farthest north I have gone in this country is Shanghai and I plan on keeping it that way forever. My boss has said like 50 times she will take me to Beijing if I want to go next time she goes and I'm like "Nooooooooooope."

You're missing so many sights in Northern China like. . .

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Accretionist posted:

Near Boston, I'd say 6'. Near Seattle, I'd say 6'2". People are taller out here!

lmao stfu

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
chyna

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

https://youtu.be/RDrfE9I8_hs

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
For the past half year, China's butthurt over Korea deploying anti-missile missiles led to them unofficially banning any Korean show, or shows with Koreans in them, unless it was already running.

Now they've apparently stepped up their game and have even banned commercials featuring Koreans in them.

Now if you're in a show already, you're technically allowed to stay. But don't expect airtime. You'll either be edited out or, if they can't get rid of you that way, will blur out your face like an accused criminal.

Psy was edited out of Heroes of Remix in hilariously poor fashion.

In lighter news, China websites block searches for 'Fatty Kim the Third'

quote:

"What I want to stress is that China has always dedicated itself to constructing a rational, cultured and healthy environment for public opinion," Geng told a daily news briefing.

China "does not approve of insulting or ridiculing language to address any country's leader", he added, without elaborating.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sheep-Goats posted:

also found this fatchart

I was reading a chart about each country's main caloric intake. Every country in the world had rice, wheat, or corn. Parts of Africa and Latin America had yams, plantains, sweet potatoes. Except Venezuela. They had sugar.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Blistex posted:

You're missing so many sights in Northern China like. . .

I love making GBS threads on China as much as anyone in this thread (probably even more so), but truth be told, the Great Wall is one of the greatest, most impressive things I've seen.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

GoutPatrol posted:

I was reading a chart about each country's main caloric intake. Every country in the world had rice, wheat, or corn. Parts of Africa and Latin America had yams, plantains, sweet potatoes. Except Venezuela. They had sugar.

Huh? You mean foreigners eat rice?

(A surprised college sophomore in Taiwan asked me once).

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

GoutPatrol posted:

As a country, Venezuela is kinda hosed. They have rolling blackouts and yet their principal export is oil/gas. Basically it's an example of why you don't let one person be in charge of everything. Or, eat the rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

For the past half year, China's butthurt over Korea deploying anti-missile missiles led to them unofficially banning any Korean show, or shows with Koreans in them, unless it was already running.

Now they've apparently stepped up their game and have even banned commercials featuring Koreans in them.

Now if you're in a show already, you're technically allowed to stay. But don't expect airtime. You'll either be edited out or, if they can't get rid of you that way, will blur out your face like an accused criminal.

Psy was edited out of Heroes of Remix in hilariously poor fashion.

In lighter news, China websites block searches for 'Fatty Kim the Third'

Good loving riddance.

• Locked thread