Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I had to go digging but it didn't take long to find my favorite quote about Charlie Weis

That doubles as a great quote about Notre Dame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
OH DEAR GOD.....Purdue is going to hire Skip Holtz......please, no, don't let it happen.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

wernox posted:

OH DEAR GOD.....Purdue is going to hire Skip Holtz......please, no, don't let it happen.

This seems like a very Purdue hire.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Nooooo, Skip's La Tech teams have been fun as heck I was hoping he'd just stay there.

Also if you're going to hire a CUSA coach why not Brohm?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Hey let's see what SBN's Purdue guy has to say

http://www.hammerandrails.com/2016/11/21/13699320/purdue-football-coaching-search-les-miles-pj-fleck-greg-olson-troy-calhoun

quote:

If Purdue is going to announce a hire this week by Sunday I think that makes Miles the favorite. I base this on complete conjecture and no inside information whatsoever. I think it just makes sense because Miles has been out there looking at the job landscape and has been very public about his plans in terms of coordinators and everything else. Naming him the successor this week would also lock him up before something bigger comes along. Texas could be interested. Notre Dame might come open and he would be a good fit. A few other programs could open up.

It just seems like there could be a match there because a lot of what Miles has said publicly (wants a challenged, wants a school’s backing, etc.) lines up perfectly with what Purdue has to offer (Purdue’s BoT says it will make a financial commitment, rebuilding Purdue is, indeed, a challenge, etc.).

Yep, sure

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HAWKINS IS BACK MOTHER FUCKERS

FB Scoops posted:

FIU: Former Colorado head coach Dan Hawkins will be Butch Davis’ offensive coordinator at FIU reports Alex Marvez.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
He was the color guy for the Nebraska-Maryland game on Saturday (aired on ESPN News) and was pretty terrible at it, so congrats, Dan!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJExile posted:

Florida Intramurals University?

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Travis just thinks if he doesn't say it out loud it won't happen.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Texas should be embarrassed for how they're treating Charlie.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

DJExile posted:

That's World Champion Danny Hawkins to you, sir

I'm legit sad about this because Sirius's college station uses him to create a pick 'em of 5 obscure-as-gently caress games every week that's always great. Plus, he's coached the US to victory multiple times in the saddest international gridiron football competition around that even sad trombone doesn't fail to describe.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
So is anyone looking at Mike MacIntyre yet, or does he need a bit more sustained success at Colorado to go anywhere?

Honestly, he continues like this at CU for another few years, he would be a great hire for Oregon or another PAC-12 team.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Texas should be embarrassed for how they're treating Charlie.

Given the inexperience of the AD and president, it's regrettably unsurprising.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Democrazy posted:

So is anyone looking at Mike MacIntyre yet, or does he need a bit more sustained success at Colorado to go anywhere?

Honestly, he continues like this at CU for another few years, he would be a great hire for Oregon or another PAC-12 team.

My guess is he needs one more year of success before a big name comes calling. Baylor is reportedly interested him.

Neil Armbong posted:

Given the inexperience of the AD and president, it's regrettably unsurprising.

That's not really an excuse, and a further indictment of the program.

LSC
Apr 17, 2006

I don't understand how y'all can see how badly Texas is handling the coaching search and not think they're going to hire Charlie Weis.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

John Rawl Tahd posted:

I don't understand how y'all can see how badly Texas is handling the coaching search and not think they're going to hire Charlie Weis.

They're gonna pay Tom Herman like $10m/year after Nick Saban gets another raise from Alabama.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

My guess is he needs one more year of success before a big name comes calling. Baylor is reportedly interested him.

That's not really an excuse, and a further indictment of the program.

Not offering as an excuse. I def think it's amateur hour at the moment with this situation.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
gently caress Skip Holtz.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
As far as Charlie Strong goes, the worst thing about it for me is that I think Charlie Strong could win a national championship at another school. If Texas were to be so lucky as to get in the playoffs in future years, I could see them getting beaten by Strong once he's figured out a place where he can be successful like he was at Louisville.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

Nooooo, Skip's La Tech teams have been fun as heck I was hoping he'd just stay there.

Also if you're going to hire a CUSA coach why not Brohm?

Because Brohm could probably do better, depending how some of these openings shake out. As for Skippy, if he's hell-bent on getting into a P5 school Purdue's probably about as good as he could ask for, given his track record. You only make that hire if Les Miles says no (which he should, but who knows with Les).

Democrazy posted:

As far as Charlie Strong goes, the worst thing about it for me is that I think Charlie Strong could win a national championship at another school. If Texas were to be so lucky as to get in the playoffs in future years, I could see them getting beaten by Strong once he's figured out a place where he can be successful like he was at Louisville.

He won't win a title there, but given the success he had in the area, going to like NC State might not be a bad rebound, since the only other ACC opening this year is probably Boston College and Charlie deserves better than that.

I've heard that State isn't looking to fire Doeren for whatever stupid reason they've come up with, but if they pull the trigger, I think they could be in play for a fairly attractive hire. Herman won't go there obviously, but a coach in the Fleck/Brohm/maybe Charlie area would be an improvement. So look for NC State to do the wrong thing, per usual.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Democrazy posted:

Boulder, Colorado isn't a terrible place to live. I don't know what kind of a budget they have. Short of an offer from USC or some other top echelon job, it seems like as good a place as any to dig in and stay if the money's good. Nice homefield advantage, too.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

Boulder, Colorado isn't a terrible place to live. I don't know what kind of a budget they have. Short of an offer from USC or some other top echelon job, it seems like as good a place as any to dig in and stay if the money's good. Nice homefield advantage, too.

Isn't it pretty hard to recruit in Boulder, given how far away it is from California and the facilities at CU? I don't know if more kids are interested now that there's legal weed.

However, as far as the city itself, Boulder is one of the coolest cities in the US for 9 months out of the year.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Not a joke:

A group of players went to the press conference and ate all the food from the catered buffet that had been set up for the press. This may be my favorite form of protest ever.

I'm torn on whether I think this situation is being badly mishandled or not. After every loss this season, the AD has been bombarded with questions about Strong's future, and his position has always been that all of those questions would be settled after the season, not during. Now there's been another loss, the same questions are being asked, and he's sticking to his story. In that sense his position seems reasonable enough, and doing an about-face to officially fire Strong before he has coached 12 games would be kind of a dick move, even if it seems like a foregone conclusion. Then again you'll never get a more opportune moment to rip the bandaid off cleanly than after that Kansas loss, and failing to do so may well lead to a much more prolonged and painful transition.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Whole dang west coast has legal weed now, Colorado isn't special. Boulder is dope as hell if you are a upper middle class white guy. I am not sure black kids from LA feel the same way. Short of like Wazzu, Oregon State, or Utah it's probably the hardest place in the conference to recruit. If I were him I'd definitely listen to other offers. Oregon would make sense if they want to dump Helfrich and strike out on the first tier names

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Thermos H Christ posted:

Not a joke:

A group of players went to the press conference and ate all the food from the catered buffet that had been set up for the press. This may be my favorite form of protest ever.

That owns

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

Not a joke:

I'm torn on whether I think this situation is being badly mishandled or not. After every loss this season, the AD has been bombarded with questions about Strong's future, and his position has always been that all of those questions would be settled after the season, not during. Now there's been another loss, the same questions are being asked, and he's sticking to his story. In that sense his position seems reasonable enough, and doing an about-face to officially fire Strong before he has coached 12 games would be kind of a dick move, even if it seems like a foregone conclusion. Then again you'll never get a more opportune moment to rip the bandaid off cleanly than after that Kansas loss, and failing to do so may well lead to a much more prolonged and painful transition.

Those are some good rear end kids right there

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thermos H Christ posted:

Not a joke:

I guess if you're going to eat poo poo all day Saturday, might as well do it the next day too. :v:

I think its being mishandled. Like, it's admirable to say "we won't decide until we see the rest of the season" which is basically where most ADs start with each year. However, in this case you loving know there's no way Strong gets retained. He knows it, his players know it, the fans know it, the AD knows it. So what's the point. If he had a slightly better record before dropping a random loss to KU it would make sense but we've seen that this team still can't compete after 3 seasons. He's still starting young players and they still are making lots of mistakes.

I can't think of any upside or reason at all to not let Strong go now and start looking into replacements. It's already going to be loving up recruitment, a lot of high school seasons are over and students are starting to make arrangements for / take on campus visits.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

That Works posted:

I guess if you're going to eat poo poo all day Saturday, might as well do it the next day too. :v:

I think its being mishandled. Like, it's admirable to say "we won't decide until we see the rest of the season" which is basically where most ADs start with each year. However, in this case you loving know there's no way Strong gets retained. He knows it, his players know it, the fans know it, the AD knows it. So what's the point. If he had a slightly better record before dropping a random loss to KU it would make sense but we've seen that this team still can't compete after 3 seasons. He's still starting young players and they still are making lots of mistakes.

I can't think of any upside or reason at all to not let Strong go now and start looking into replacements. It's already going to be loving up recruitment, a lot of high school seasons are over and students are starting to make arrangements for / take on campus visits.

I mean, make it official, ask Strong coach out the rest of the season, then move forward.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

kayakyakr posted:

I mean, make it official, ask Strong coach out the rest of the season, then move forward.

I guess you could, and that would be better than... this. But all the same, just cut and move on. He knows he's done.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Democrazy posted:

y'all are loving delusional. Did you pay attention to any decision he made int he past 3 years? Did you watch the games?

also I'm fine with the AD statement but they should've cancelled the press conference. making him get up there and act like everything is normal is dumb as hell. writing's on the wall.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

DJExile posted:

Those are some good rear end kids right there

lol confirmed

https://twitter.com/AlexDunlapNFL/status/800754416978690050

Also I have yet to see photographic evidence but there are claims of Texas merchandise beginning to pile up in front of Tom Herman's house, like when there's a tragedy and people spontaneously build a shrine somewhere. I want this to be true.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Are they worried about like losing recruits during the season? I'm pretty sure that's gonna happen anyways

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
So what are they gonna do if Texas beats TCU and becomes bowl eligible? Just have Strong hang out there twisting in the wind for another month?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

That Works posted:

I guess you could, and that would be better than... this. But all the same, just cut and move on. He knows he's done.

There's only one game left, it honestly would probably be better for the mood in the locker room and for game prep if they made a "he's gone at the end of the season but will coach this week" announcement.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Thoguh posted:

So what are they gonna do if Texas beats TCU and becomes bowl eligible? Just have Strong hang out there twisting in the wind for another month?

Has a coach ever been fired after a bowl game for on-the-field reasons?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They're gonna pay Tom Herman like $10m/year after Nick Saban gets another raise from Alabama.

The funniest possible things that can happen out of this off season are

a) Another school hires Herman instead of Texas.
b) Texas hire Herman, who turns out not to be the answer. Strong goes to another school and makes the playoffs in year 1.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pakled posted:

Has a coach ever been fired after a bowl game for on-the-field reasons?

I assume some outgoing coaches have coached the bowl game after it being made public by the school they were moving on, maybe some older guys who they were just letting go to one last bowl? I don't think there's any real ethical problems (not that anyone pays attention to those anyway) with starting the search or even hiring your guy to take over after the bowl as long as it's all above board.

As far as a situation where the school keeps saying "he's our guy" but the Bowl performance is the dealbreaker I don't know.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

maybe the problem is UTexas

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Spacebump posted:

The funniest possible things that can happen out of this off season are

a) Another school hires Herman instead of Texas.
b) Texas hire Herman, who turns out not to be the answer. Strong goes to another school and makes the playoffs in year 1.

The real funniest answer is Herman staying in Houston

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Strong says he "doesn't really think" the administration has already made up its mind, or at least he'd "like to think not." It's one thing to say they're not going to talk about it until after Friday's game, but if they have actually led Strong and his players to think a win over 5-5 TCU could save his job, that's extremely, unnecessarily cruel. Or even worse it's true, and our AD seriously doesn't even know whether or not we're days away from trying to lock down a coaching hire that will likely determine the fate of our brand over the next decade or more, in which case holy poo poo kill me now.

I'm starting to panic now. Our AD is a fan/booster with no relevant experience who couldn't successfully hire away Tulsa's non-playcalling OC to take over playcalling duties at Texas for a million loving dollars a year, and in fact got turned down before the University President got on a plane and personally went to the guy's house to salvage the deal. Who also spent a whole month getting turned down repeatedly while trying to convince someone, anyone, to come take over the winningest program in the history of college baseball after firing the winningest coach in the history of college baseball.

Ohhhh we're so hosed. Get ready for 1-6 weeks of the Texas Athletic Department leaking like a sieve and generally confirming over and over that our left hand has no idea what our right hand is doing except we actually have like a thousand hands engaged in a never-ending tug-of-war slapfight over who gets to hold the belt buckle today.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 22, 2016

• Locked thread