Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
My buddy was thinking "how could just cauterizing someone's neck save them from that if they weren't a host?" but I think at some point you've just got to be like ehhh it's a TV show. Also, if there was a butchers=hosts reveal, it wouldn't go down like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ashrik posted:

My buddy was thinking "how could just cauterizing someone's neck save them from that if they weren't a host?" but I think at some point you've just got to be like ehhh it's a TV show.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ozmunkeh posted:

gently caress off with this bullshit and give me more Anthony Hopkins.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm glad Stubbs noticed Bernard was acting all weird. He seems like the least dickish person in the company right now.

Stubbs is the most competent person on the show. He always treats the hosts with respect due to them (being biological murder robots held back only by apparently contradictory programming), gets along with all his co-workers to a greater or lesser extent (Elsie and him have professional disagreements at most), understands basic human behavior (trying to reach out to Bernard), does his job well (keeping tabs on Bernard and Theresa) and has yet to deliberately give the hosts sentience/crazy voices.

Nothing bad that happens is his fault and he's probably going to get murdered by Maeve.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

KoRMaK posted:

Yea, that was...

I mean, lol that his daughter says he's a bad guy even though he never really did anything bad in real life. That would be like having your GTA history used against you. Or your SA history
I always ask for and verify a person's post history in real life before I feel I can judge them accurately.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Paulocaust posted:

just wanna say to everyone that poo poo talked me for being the first one on the MIB=William, 2 timelines and Bernarnold/Bernandroid theories;

suck my fuckin rear end

MIB isn't William. No salad tossing tonight friendo.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
no one's sucking your rear end Paulo, sorry

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Ashrik posted:

My buddy was thinking "how could just cauterizing someone's neck save them from that if they weren't a host?" but I think at some point you've just got to be like ehhh it's a TV show. Also, if there was a butchers=hosts reveal, it wouldn't go down like that.

This part was cut for pacing reasons, script excerpt below confirmed in Nolan interview.

quote:

MAEVE
Why are you using that on him, doesn't that only work on hosts?

FELIX
No, Maeve, our medical technology is advanced to the point that not only can we easily fix simple flesh wounds like this but the hosts' artificial flesh and bone are so similar to ours that our standard medical devices often work on both, oftentimes without modification. I thought you might have inferred this from the time you woke up while we were fixing the bacterial infection you were suffering from a few weeks ago.

Maeve turns to look directly at the camera.

MAEVE
Interesting.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Ashrik posted:

she cut his throat. when your throat is slashed open you die of blood loss. Felix used the magic skin sealer to close up the wound so he didn't lose any more blood. end of story.

(that prop, by the way, is a handheld dental UV lamp used to cure epoxy fillings)

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Sagebrush posted:

she cut his throat. when your throat is slashed open you die of blood loss. Felix used the magic skin sealer to close up the wound so he didn't lose any more blood. end of story.

(that prop, by the way, is a handheld dental UV lamp used to cure epoxy fillings)

Actually it's advanced medical tech that Ford and Bernard discussed earlier, they have all be conquered death. It's no big whoop.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Abner Assington posted:

I always ask for and verify a person's post history in real life before I feel I can judge them accurately.

also there are definitely people in the world who believe that if you play grand theft auto you are a psychotic killer at heart

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
What are the odds that Sizemore will be a lazy bastard and reuse Abernathy's old build?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Wasn't the whole season filmed before airing the first episode? I don't see how the creators could react to fan theories like that.

Westworld is filmed live in front of a studio audience.

Democratic Pirate posted:

I mean poo poo build a security host team who never get tired and has the capacity to monitor for irregularities 24/7.

Hemsworth knew that Bernard was doing Theresa but misses poo poo like this. The whole plotline was interesting to start but is now pretty terrible with things just happening because the plot demands it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

KoRMaK posted:

Yea, that was...

I mean, lol that his daughter says he's a bad guy even though he never really did anything bad in real life. That would be like having your GTA history used against you. Or your SA history

As long as you don't hit your family, it's not abuse? He said that she told him he had a really bad temper and was always hot and cold and they could never figure out if he was about to get angry or not. That's not just running over hookers in GTA.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Collateral posted:

What are the odds that Sizemore will be a lazy bastard and reuse Abernathy's old build?

Probable that something accesses it but Abernarthy was lobotomized. It's more likely that Dolores runs into him.

Also lol at all these board representatives loving around with the software. They have no loving idea.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
They'd only be afraid of him getting angry if he actually had gotten angry before. It seems he must have done something to scare them.

That speech felt very very long though, especially after the little quip about "show don't tell."

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Guys guys guys I have definitive new evidence in the two timelines theory.

Get this, the MIB is a guest and has been going to the park for the 30 years. Over the years he's probably seen a ton of those greeter hosts. Later, ford takes half the hosts and puts them in the Wyatt storyline, when MIB recognizes her. Shocker, I know.

Also, Felix and Sylvester finally wore out their welcome this episode. Some of the discussion here has helped - I really wish the story had been "Felix and Sylvester realize they have a host that's attained real consciousness and are debating what to do with it, while Maeve thinks she's manipulating them to keep her from being wiped". The whole incompetence thing doesn't really work for me.

Lechtansi fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 22, 2016

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I like the idea brought up already that Felix is a host and now sees Maeve as human and can't kill her. Obviously having him be a human with the same feelings wouldn't be much different but I think it would sit better with people. It would also jive with Silvestre's embryo quip which brings up Brave New World with all the Ford trappings that has.

How the hell can he see Maeve as human when he's literally messing around in her robo-brain?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Ashrik posted:

send this link to your buddy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Malarchuk

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ashrik posted:

I never implied the techs were hosts. Rather i was implying that hosts may be fully biocompatible humans that might reproduce and live lut of the park. Also that if that med tech is proprietary than its value would be off the charts.

What would happen if you used one oh those guns on a dead person?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

ymgve posted:

How the hell can he see Maeve as human when he's literally messing around in her robo-brain?

She repeatedly woke up while on the operating table and had conversations with him unlike the only other robots he's met which all are just slabs of meat.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Demiurge4 posted:

Probable that something accesses it but Abernarthy was lobotomized. It's more likely that Dolores runs into him.

Also lol at all these board representatives loving around with the software. They have no loving idea.

I have a feeling his memory was wiped but the software is still intact. So then they are going to dump 35 years of host data into him. Thanks to the reverie update he'll access all of that. poo poo is about to get real.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lechtansi posted:

Also, Felix and Sylvester finally wore out their welcome this episode. Some of the discussion here has helped - I really wish the story had been "Felix and Sylvester realize they have a host that's attained real consciousness and are debating what to do with it, while Maeve thinks she's manipulating them to keep her from being wiped". The whole incompetence thing doesn't really work for me.
I never would have thought about the incompetence thing myself. That's entirely due to people on the internet misreading Felix as being incompetent when he's just infatuated and also assuming he and Sylvester have the same motivations.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

From the Wiki.

quote:

(He jokingly asked paramedics if they could bring him back in time for the third period [1]).

:allears: Goalies. :allears:

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Collateral posted:

You're right and that is going to be awesome. So glad to have Abernathy back.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The greeter host being part of the wyatt quest and being recognized by MiB is likely not significant only due to the fact she greets William and gets reassigned but also due to the fact that we see her participating in the past flashbacks as one of hosts getting trained in the now destroyed church town.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I hope Abernathy remembers. Either way, he's a phenomenally good actor so I'm pumped that he's back in the narrative.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Hemsworth knew that Bernard was doing Theresa but misses poo poo like this. The whole plotline was interesting to start but is now pretty terrible with things just happening because the plot demands it.

I'm pretty sure that, as a general rule, Hosts aren't used for support staff. Bernard seems to be the very big exception, along with anyone else that Ford and killed-and-replaced like Elsie.

But yes there seems to be a very large sphere of idiocy surrounded Maeve.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The greeter host being part of the wyatt quest and being recognized by MiB is likely not significant only due to the fact she greets William and gets reassigned but also due to the fact that we see her participating in the past flashbacks as one of hosts getting trained in the now destroyed church town.

Basically a lot comes down to what Herrings are Red. The greeter bot was in Dolores' flashback. That means that she's a very old Host. So if William's stuff did happen 30 years ago, she could have been the Orientation host at the time.

We are also repeatedly shown that Hosts can be retasked essentially on a dime.

So, MiB=William and he remembers her from his introduction to the park.
Or everything happens at once and the Host was retasked, but the MiB remembers her just because he's in the park all the time.

Both can be seen as valid and depends on where the show is loving with the viewers.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Abernathy is going to assume the role of Wyatt, calling it now. He's a former cannibal leader and he's promised 'such revenge upon you they shall be the terror of the earth'. Wyatt will be in that data dump somewhere and attempt to destroy the park and bring about something new.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

so much
depends

upon a red
herring

glazed with machine
fluid

beside the white
androids

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

JossiRossi posted:

Basically a lot comes down to what Herrings are Red. The greeter bot was in Dolores' flashback. That means that she's a very old Host. So if William's stuff did happen 30 years ago, she could have been the Orientation host at the time.

We are also repeatedly shown that Hosts can be retasked essentially on a dime.

So, MiB=William and he remembers her from his introduction to the park.
Or everything happens at once and the Host was retasked, but the MiB remembers her just because he's in the park all the time.

Both can be seen as valid and depends on where the show is loving with the viewers.

Yeah, it's very clear that the show is intentionally misleading the audience. Unclear which theory is true. And look what they've done to us.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Curious, but what is the explanation for people's theory present Dolores is retracing steps on her own in the present? I don't want to debate two timelines (I'm still against, though more on the fence, and fully against William=MiB for too many reasons than I want to list using my phone) here, just wondering what explanation people think there could possibly be for that. If Hemsworth noticing her far from Sweetwater alone was misdirection and she wasn't alone in the past, but was in the present, then present-Dolores has been picked up and taken back to the ranch episodes ago due to not being with a guest.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

was the dying soldier that mcpoyle cradled in his arms the other mcpoyle?

why would they do that.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FuhrerHat posted:

was the dying soldier that mcpoyle cradled in his arms the other mcpoyle?

why would they do that.

It was not, though now I wish it had been.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

She repeatedly woke up while on the operating table and had conversations with him unlike the only other robots he's met which all are just slabs of meat.

Animals have a natural instinct to emphasize with other things they might interpret as living (like the bird). We personify everything these days, my question is why wouldn't one of the techs eventually go this far for a host?

I wonder if the WW writers got the bird inspiration from a somewhat well known story in certain ethics/evolutionary biology circles:

https://books.google.com/books?id=I...%20bird&f=false

A bonobo found a stunned bird in her enclosure and took it up to the highest limb she could reach and flapped the birds wings and tried to get it to fly away. :unsmith:

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 21, 2016

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

As long as you don't hit your family, it's not abuse? He said that she told him he had a really bad temper and was always hot and cold and they could never figure out if he was about to get angry or not. That's not just running over hookers in GTA.

It sort of depends. If you're the kind of person who flies off the handle and yells, maybe even slams your fist down on the table every once in awhile, and when people finally confront you about it, you break down into tears and say that nobody loves you, then you have your entire family walking on eggshells their entire lives, and there is a reason people call that emotional abuse.

The way the Man in Black describes it, it sounds more like there was something ineffable about him that just made him hard to live with, though. That he was mostly controlled and even kind, but there was always something sharp around the edges that made the people closest to him wary, which isn't really something he can help, especially if he didn't know it about himself until after his wife's suicide.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

Yea, that was...

And no one would ever do that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

VendaGoat posted:

And no one would ever do that...

Just don't do IT for any major political figures...

• Locked thread