Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

TyrantWD posted:

They repeatedly vote against their economic interests because of racism and other social issues.

I think a lot of them literally don't know that, because they've only been exposed to conservative media for decades and the Democratic party hasn't tried to make inroads in the places where they live, even in order to support local candidates who might be able to swing a few people just by being good at their jobs. Howard Dean was right about needing a 50 state strategy and we really really haven't bothered to do that, and clearly it's bitten us in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

100 degrees Calcium posted:

It'd be a real mistake for the federal government to go after weed in places where it has been legalized. It breaks the republican fallback of :qq: STATES RIGHTS STATES RIGHTS :qq: and is gonna leave a bunch of otherwise placated anti-establishment types with something to be angry about and no outlet to calm their stoner heads.

I'm only half-joking.

yeah but the states where weed is legalized are blue utopias so they don't give a gently caress. States rights are only worth fighting for when it's convenient for Republicans, you see

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

People making arguments about what the Republicans will or won't do based on consistency with past arguments or logic are missing a fundamental point: there is only one consistent Republican policy, which is that Republicans should be in charge.

There is also apparently only one consistent Democratic policy, which is that Republicans should be in charge.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

zegermans posted:

She's pro Muslim genocide.

TyrantWD posted:

Gabbard was going no where in the Democratic Party with her Islamophobia that even makes Bannon proud.

Any articles expanding on this?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
A big chunk of Trump supporters are salvageable. They're regular people who are just so disillusioned and desperate they took a chance on Trump. Many of these same people took a chance on Obama in 2008.

The rest of his supporters are either GOP faithful or Nazis.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

pathetic little tramp posted:

Russia's spy agencies have revealed their latest secret weapon to fight America with, ordinary cameras!

https://twitter.com/CJOnline/status/800766763545796608

edit and YEP that first line is the plan for the Muslim registry. loving LOL.

Russian spy agencies don't need to spy they can just ask Trump.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I put together a thread for the North Carolina gubernatorial insanity: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3798865

It might never go anywhere, Pat may just concede normally, but if it doesn't, there's a place where we can watch the madness descend.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

im the

\mediately to forestall future lawsuits.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Montasque posted:

A big chunk of Trump supporters are salvageable. They're regular people who are just so disillusioned and desperate they took a chance on Trump. Many of these same people took a chance on Obama in 2008.

Besides, it's not just Trump supporters we need to win over, it's the folks who took one look at both candidates and went 'lol no'.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Turtle Man is gonna kill the filibuster on day one and the GOP-controlled government is gonna dump Chunky-Style Untreated Homestyle Sewage down our throats for at the very least two years and probably 4 or 8

they're all circlejerking about the horrible poo poo they're going to pass already

it will be a tidal wave of poo poo that covers the entire united states

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Montasque posted:

I got to sit down with the GOP faithful side of my family this weekend and oh my god i forgot how crazy/gullible they were. they truly think that because Trump has money that he's basically infallible.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Digital Jedi posted:

Any articles expanding on this?

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/curious-islamophobic-politics-dem-congressmember-tulsi-gabbard

quote:

She's particularly a favorite of right-wing media. Appearing with Fox's Neil Cavuto last week, she lashed out at the White House for holding an extremism summit with Muslim Americans, saying it's a “diversion from what our real focus needs to be. And that focus is on that Islamic extremist threat.” She criticized Obama for saying that “poverty, lack of access to jobs, lack of access to education” is contributing to radicalization. “They are not fueled by materialistic motivation, it's actually a theological, this radical Islamic ideology,” she said, throwing red meat to Fox viewers.

To the media, Gabbard is a curious spectacle. She's a Hawaii Democrat, coming from one of the nation's most progressive and dovish chapters of the Democratic Party, but she's also an Iraq war veteran, and she's consistently tried to outflank President Obama and the rest of her party to the right on foreign affairs. Last month she openly mocked Secretary of State John Kerry during an appearance on CNN, saying that he thinks, "if we give them [Islamic extremists] $10,000 and give them a nice place to live that somehow they're not going to be engaged in this fighting."

To Gabbard, the fact that Syria and Iraq have been through years of brutal civil war, wrecked economies and massive displacement is irrelevant; the only reason they have an extremism problem is because of Islamic theology.

But the case of Tulsi Gabbard becomes less curious and more expected once you look at her links to a different set of ethnic and religious hardliners: the Hindu nationalist Indian Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). Since her election to Congress, Gabbard has tied herself closely to this party, which has a history of condoning hatred and violence against India's Muslim minority. Many of her stateside donors and supporters are also big supporters of this movement, which disdains secularism and promotes religious sectarianism.

She's a literal Hindu Nationalist who supports Modi and before she glommed onto Sanders her only press come from angrily insisting Obama's too pussy to bomb ISIS more, and then post-glomming it became he and Hillary love bombing the middle east too much because she knew most of America never heard of her before and it was cool to just casually switch sides.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

You know, I've maintained for a while that the Republican congress wouldn't kill the filibuster because they'll want to use it again someday, but is there anything stopping them from killing it for now and voting it back into place on November 5, 2018?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Monkey Fracas posted:

Turtle Man is gonna kill the filibuster on day one and the GOP-controlled government is gonna dump Chunky-Style Untreated Homestyle Sewage down our throats for at the very least two years and probably 4 or 8

they're all circlejerking about the horrible poo poo they're going to pass already

it will be a tidal wave of poo poo that covers the entire united states

Nah. They won't kill the filibuster. They need an out of the poo poo that would get them voted out in 2018 and 2020 because they can say "OH, WE VOTED FOR THIS BUT THOSE EVIL DEMOCRATS SAID NO".

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

:smith:

wow they actually think their refugee plans are going to reduce terrorism. Half of this country thinks that muslims are inherently terrorists and we can't trust any of them. and they're so inherently terrorists that you can simply ask them about a couple of positions, and they will be compelled to tell you the truth. this is real.

extreme vetting.

oh and probably some more voter suppression stuff, but this time it is at the federal level yay!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Montasque posted:

Even they probably would have been a moot point if Queen Hillary The Anointed could have turned out more voters than Romney did in 2012

so, so many things went wrong this election

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Serf posted:

But a lot of my minority friends are not down with appealing to that segment of the population because they believe they will be betrayed.

They will be but most people don't realize that betrayal is inevitable and they themselves will probably do the betraying at some point for a different marginalized group.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

It seems those drat bone spurs have been hobbling the Trumps for generations.

quote:

A historian has discovered a royal decree issued to Donald Trump’s grandfather ordering him to leave Germany and never come back.

Friedrich Trump, a German, was issued with the document in February 1905, and ordered to leave the kingdom of Bavaria within eight weeks as punishment for having failed to do mandatory military service and failing to give authorities notice of his departure to the US when he first emigrated in 1885.
Kallstadt, Germany: on the trail of 'the Donald' in the Trump ancestral home
Read more

Roland Paul, a historian from Rhineland-Palatinate who found the document in local archives, told the tabloid Bild: “Friedrich Trump emigrated from Germany to the USA in 1885. However, he failed to de-register from his homeland and had not carried out his military service, which is why the authorities rejected his attempt at repatriation.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/21/trump-grandfather-friedrich-banished-germany-historian-royal-decree

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

docbeard posted:

You know, I've maintained for a while that the Republican congress wouldn't kill the filibuster because they'll want to use it again someday, but is there anything stopping them from killing it for now and voting it back into place on November 5, 2018?

the ones who don't like trump(ism) have no way to prevent truly hosed up legislation from passing (they could hide behind Ds filibustering while they are in support)

that's my guess

is there any analysis of which senate seats are vulnerable in 2018? is there really any likely chance the democrats could take it back (yeah, i know, midterm, etc.)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Nah. They won't kill the filibuster. They need an out of the poo poo that would get them voted out in 2018 and 2020 because they can say "OH, WE VOTED FOR THIS BUT THOSE EVIL DEMOCRATS SAID NO".

Hmmm which side of the GOP will come out in this term, Cowardly GOP or Evil GOP? Maybe Batshit-Insane-Believes-Their-Own-Propaganda GOP?

And which side of the Democratic Party will come out? Spineless Corporate Ball-Fondler Dems or.... uh...

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I have a distant ancestor who absconded on the Kaiser's draft too around the same time so I can dig it.

The whole country was a goddamn barracks.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

so about 2018

lol poo poo

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'm the 200k criminal removal cases that are gonna get moved on without any sort of review for whether they're warranted. Here's your stool pigeons back Mexi-Cartels! Take good care of them!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Wikkheiser posted:

I have a distant ancestor who absconded on the Kaiser's draft too around the same time so I can dig it.

yea as much as Trump is a chickenhawk bitch it's not like 'bailed on the Kaiser's insanity' was some rare and unheard of thing at the time.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Karl Sharks posted:

so about 2018

lol poo poo

Yeah, it's guaranteed the republicans will win them all and usher in 1000 years of conservative darkness. We're talking the end of abortion, gay marriage, etc. Hell, if they don't repeal the 14th amendment and make lynching legal, I'd be surprised.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Covok posted:

Wow, this is a lot of classified government information that is not completely public. Imagine if an acting Sectary of State did this due to a hacking job. I wonder if there would be an outcry.

maybe it's not classified

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

mastershakeman posted:

Maybe you're a oval office.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Wikkheiser posted:

I had always wondered why there was such a massive migration to the middle US from Germany in the late 19th century but this explains it pretty well

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

hard to tell because any (c)s that would be on the page could just be them switching to trump's formatting style instead of standing for classified

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
https://twitter.com/JRubinBlogger/status/800780902741590016

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Covok posted:

Maybe you're a oval office.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

well that escalated bigly

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

well at least we get confirmation of voter suppression on steroids now

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

showbiz_liz posted:

I think a lot of them literally don't know that, because they've only been exposed to conservative media for decades and the Democratic party hasn't tried to make inroads in the places where they live, even in order to support local candidates who might be able to swing a few people just by being good at their jobs. Howard Dean was right about needing a 50 state strategy and we really really haven't bothered to do that, and clearly it's bitten us in the rear end.

This is what I think too

Having some actual pro democratic media would help as well

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Seriously though Trump will just be a figurehead for whatever the GOP wants to do

he obviously has no loving clue how things work and doesn't even want to stay in the White House over weekends like he thinks being president is some 9-5 regular job or something

he will go down in history as the president who knew the least about how poo poo pertaining to the goddamn job works

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gonna build that wall

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Seriously though Trump will just be a figurehead for whatever the GOP wants to do

he obviously has no loving clue how things work and doesn't even want to stay in the White House over weekends like he thinks being president is some 9-5 regular job or something

he will go down in history as the president who knew the least about how poo poo pertaining to the goddamn job works

Or maybe not .
Let's not underestimate him again

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fullhouse posted:

I had always wondered why there was such a massive migration to the middle US from Germany in the late 19th century but this explains it pretty well

more or less. During that time Wilhelm II was the head, and he was loving bonkers.

Marie Furie
Nov 11, 2016

Karl Sharks posted:

so about 2018

lol poo poo

yeah we are probably hosed in 2018

although the party in power generally does more poorly in midterms, so there's that; also who knows what the political climate will be like in two years

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Ray posted:

I got to sit down with the GOP faithful side of my family this weekend and oh my god i forgot how crazy/gullible they were. they truly think that because Trump has money that he's basically infallible.

This can't be overstated how much these people live in an information bubble and that almost nobody is even trying to pierce that bubble. My MIL is a hardcore trump voter but it only takes about twenty five minutes of conversation for her to agree that we live in a carceral state that is institutionally racist, that we need a policy of sweeping amnesty, and to increase the amount of refugees we're taking from the middle east. Of course if someone doesn't engage with her about it on a regular basis she falls back into "build the wall" chants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Monkey Fracas posted:

But he's definitely going to go all swinging dick style when he catches wind of this and the NY Times or whoever writes up a big thing about how much of a puppet he is. I predict that will take place in less than a month after inauguration. He'll probably have someone explain executive orders to him and go hog wild on them. It's for sure going to happen, and the GOP might be smart enough to flatter him into some more of whatever they want (as long as it's AM radio/Breitbart flavored), but as soon as he's (accurately) seen as an idiot who's in over his head he's going to start making moves.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 21, 2016

• Locked thread