Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
unless its not at 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
watching getright was hilarious during the final round

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

Taco deserves MVP of this tournament. Dude has become incredible.

pyth

:black101:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

henne posted:

unless its not at 1

I'm assuming it defaults to 1

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

What a fuckin' series.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
They really squeezed that victory out through their teeth. GG to NiP

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Famethrowa posted:

Default smokes?

Umm I guess I don't even know what defaults means. Are there like default positions to hold? I've learned some basic grenades for t side.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Umm I guess I don't even know what defaults means. Are there like default positions to hold? I've learned some basic grenades for t side.

generally running a default means you have specific spots to stand in across the map to watch for pushes and listen for information, rather than having 5 people stand in b tunnels of dust2, for example. the idea is to get information and map control.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Famethrowa posted:

Taco deserves MVP of this tournament. Dude has become incredible.

i recall people giving him poo poo early on, whos HUEHUEHUEing now motherfuckers?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

if you mean default positions, there isn't much that we can help with because there are a shitload of possible positions to hold and you'd do wise to change it up. also it depends on the map, but it's not uncommon practice to have 2 people one site, 2 another, and 1 watching mid, though of course, this changes from map to map, so it's hard to give any generalized advice.
ie: one guy CAN cover solo B on d2 if he watches tunnels and is propperly equipped to do so, letting one extra guy be mid in case they push there, or move fast to A if poo poo goes south there.
also positions change depending on what goes on. Your B player on mirage might go bench if they push catwalk from mid, or stay van if they hear apartments.

the most baaaaasic setup in most maps that im aware of are:
dust 2: 2 cts long, one mid, 2 b. mid is likely already watching cat, so your extra ct player wouldnt do much on the site itself. those long players usually are 1 pit, the other on long itself.

inferno i cant give much advice on cause my pc fried days before infernew, but i guess the meta hasnt changed much: on b, one guy usually peeks banana from car with awp, if that fails, go back to spools. the other guy quad. 2 guys making a crossfire on mid-a, one on arch side and one on highway or whatever its called. the other one idk, pit is a usual position but i imagine highway player falls back there.

nuke: ahahahahaha

mirage: 1 player window, never give up mid control. typical a strats is one guy stairs, another site/ct/firebox. can freshen it up by one guy going under palace. B site is usually van to check for aps, one on cat to support the window player.

cache: one guy quad/site, one guy highway/mid. One guy dedicated mid ct connector. B is usually one guy heaven, another in site itself.

again these are very very barebones and the situation can and will change and you NEED to change it up every here and then or else the enemy will prefire you. They will prefire anyway but better than giving them the surefire shot.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

ArfJason posted:

if you mean default positions, there isn't much that we can help with because there are a shitload of possible positions to hold and you'd do wise to change it up. also it depends on the map, but it's not uncommon practice to have 2 people one site, 2 another, and 1 watching mid, though of course, this changes from map to map, so it's hard to give any generalized advice.
ie: one guy CAN cover solo B on d2 if he watches tunnels and is propperly equipped to do so, letting one extra guy be mid in case they push there, or move fast to A if poo poo goes south there.
also positions change depending on what goes on. Your B player on mirage might go bench if they push catwalk from mid, or stay van if they hear apartments.

the most baaaaasic setup in most maps that im aware of are:
dust 2: 2 cts long, one mid, 2 b. mid is likely already watching cat, so your extra ct player wouldnt do much on the site itself. those long players usually are 1 pit, the other on long itself.

inferno i cant give much advice on cause my pc fried days before infernew, but i guess the meta hasnt changed much: on b, one guy usually peeks banana from car with awp, if that fails, go back to spools. the other guy quad. 2 guys making a crossfire on mid-a, one on arch side and one on highway or whatever its called. the other one idk, pit is a usual position but i imagine highway player falls back there.

nuke: ahahahahaha

mirage: 1 player window, never give up mid control. typical a strats is one guy stairs, another site/ct/firebox. can freshen it up by one guy going under palace. B site is usually van to check for aps, one on cat to support the window player.

cache: one guy quad/site, one guy highway/mid. One guy dedicated mid ct connector. B is usually one guy heaven, another in site itself.

again these are very very barebones and the situation can and will change and you NEED to change it up every here and then or else the enemy will prefire you. They will prefire anyway but better than giving them the surefire shot.

This is super helpful as a base to vary off of, thank you!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ArfJason posted:

i recall people giving him poo poo early on, whos HUEHUEHUEing now motherfuckers?
People did the same with Yung Stew.

I'm starting to think the CS community may be... judgmental. But that's just a theory.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Arf covered CT, but defaults work on T side too. Usually groups of 2-3 will poke around areas of the map, trying to find gaps in the defense. Once a kill or a gap is found, the T's will regroup and take a site. This is the opposite to the typical silver strat of all 5 rush a site, which can be shut down easily by 2 well-placed CT's

As a basic rule, buddy up. Pick a friend to poke around the map with, and try to coordinate when you peek angles, so that you do it together. Watch their back, and if they get killed, immediately try to get vengeance (called a trade kill), if possible. Don't focus on immediately getting a site as a duo, instead try to catch an enemy CT out of position or pushing. Once you get a kill, or you realize the site could be taken, call for your teammates to join you. If everything goes to poo poo, like if some teammates elsewhere die, or your buddy bites it, it can be a good idea to regroup with your team and try to take territory elsewhere.

The biggest mistakes Silvers make is: 1. Going solo and dying pointlessly, 2. Being slow on attempting a trade kill, and 3. Constantly rushing sites without getting information on how many enemies are in an area.

This is super general, and as you play you'll naturally get a feel for when to ignore everything I just said, but you'll be amazed at how many Silver matches you win simply by focusing on being a good teammate and playing the defaults

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 21, 2016

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

If you can get the two russians, the afk'er and the trickshotting idiot to do a default on T side, you've basically won the game in most ranks.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
didnt really cover T defaults because default position usually mean holds, which mean defense most of the time, and T defaults are based around smokes usually, and hes definitely not at the level where he should be really worrying about smokes. The sooner he learns them, the better, but he should get a good feel of map knowledge and crosshair placement first before introducing the (relatively) complex nature of grenades.

Sharma
Nov 4, 2012

Great series! SK came so close... What was with that guy giving out an MVP trophy BEFORE the end of the tournament?! Not to say f0rest didn't deserve it or anything. He had some amazing plays... but I definitely think pyth, TACO and coldzera were up there as well. :)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I like maikel but I'm glad Pyth performed in this tournament. I didn't get to watch any of the matches but whenever I checked the results on HLTV he seemed to be topfragging by a wide margin. Good for NiP and good for him, I can imagine he was hella feeling the pressure to perform

N'aww get_right :kimchi:
https://clips.twitch.tv/esl_csgo/CourageousKuduDeExcite

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 21, 2016

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

btw get hosed sk

threatr is a loving miracle worker

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ArfJason posted:

didnt really cover T defaults because default position usually mean holds, which mean defense most of the time, and T defaults are based around smokes usually, and hes definitely not at the level where he should be really worrying about smokes. The sooner he learns them, the better, but he should get a good feel of map knowledge and crosshair placement first before introducing the (relatively) complex nature of grenades.

He said he learned basic smokes, so it's worth at least knowing the basics of smart teamplay

dex_sda posted:

If you can get the two russians, the afk'er and the trickshotting idiot to do a default on T side, you've basically won the game in most ranks.

Hopefully he's playing with goons :pray:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Famethrowa posted:

He said he learned basic smokes, so it's worth at least knowing the basics of smart teamplay

ah, missed that. yeah, then, carry on. T strats are fun.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I despise SK and will never not cheer for horrible, spirit crushing defeats for them. Long may it continue!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

ArfJason posted:

T strats are fun.

yeah as fun as it can be to just run into a site with no-respect plays and dome people, a properly executed t-side strat with a full set of smokes, flashes and mollies and everyone clearing their angles is just so, so much more fulfilling

seeing ct's desperately scramble out of position as you run into a site is so dang satisfying, doubly so if you manage a take so clean you basically force the other team into a 3/4v5 save

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Bohemian Nights posted:

yeah as fun as it can be to just run into a site with no-respect plays and dome people, a properly executed t-side strat with a full set of smokes, flashes and mollies and everyone clearing their angles is just so, so much more fulfilling

seeing ct's desperately scramble out of position as you run into a site is so dang satisfying, doubly so if you manage a take so clean you basically force the other team into a 3/4v5 save

It's why VP are my spirit animal. Their takes are smoother than butter

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Bohemian Nights posted:

I'm finally at the level where I can help pull this off, and finding consistently solid 5stacks (them handsome boys) where this starts to happen consistently, and goddamn is it nice.

WhatDo
Nov 22, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

I'm finally at the level where I can help pull this off, and finding consistently solid 5stacks (them handsome boys) where this starts to happen consistently, and goddamn is it nice.

Are you saying you don't like our matches where we just run around pretending to be power rangers? :(

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

WhatDo posted:

Are you saying you don't like our matches where we just run around pretending to be power rangers? :(

You wouldn't let me be the red ranger :<

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
My favorite execute (default) on T side mirage going into A.
Ak, molly, smoke, 2 flashes.
Setup ct smoke. Throw ct smoke. Flash into A ramp check corner, check stairs & tetris. Flash into top of A ramp. Check close left corner ct & tri box. Molly under porch/palace or what ever it's called and move into tetris. Shoot that person in the head as they run from the fire, check fire box. Check stairs/jungle/sandwic/ninja. ???? Terrorist win! When I'm able to execute this and move my whole team into the site it is super satisfying. Additionally, doing those smokes & flashes you will usually be able to push anyone out of position or blind them and get you the kill.

2nd favorite on T side.
With a long spawn. Smoke, & flash.
Rush towards long. Throw a quick smoke to block off corner (at lower ranks this is pretty effective and not a waste if you have the money imo). Move into long doors. throw a pop flash off of the wall out of the top of the room. Move out the doors as the flash goes off. That flash pretty much will gets anyone playing long looking at doors including players at pit. Check blue bin/corner/smoke. Rotate out check pit so you can fall behind blue if needed. Once that's clear push toward pit check right side. Spam smoke towards car. Congrats you have long control.

WhatDo
Nov 22, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

You wouldn't let me be the red ranger :<

And I told you we were using CMYK so you can be the Cyan, Magenta, Yellow or blacK ranger.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Really you can only be orange yellow green blue or purple rangers and you never get to choose

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
I'm still in nova 3 star rank (where i started) and I feel like my aim is letting me down. I'm always aiming center mass, when I should be going for headshots, especially for pistol rounds. Is there a good map for practicing this, or do I just need to keep playing?

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Resource posted:

I'm still in nova 3 star rank (where i started) and I feel like my aim is letting me down. I'm always aiming center mass, when I should be going for headshots, especially for pistol rounds. Is there a good map for practicing this, or do I just need to keep playing?

Check out this video if you haven't seen it yet and memorize every word: https://youtu.be/U9mvXfnY8wU

In terms of raw aim you can do a few things. Training maps through steam workshop are really good and I also like community deathmatch servers. most are FFA and will sometimes be headshot only, pistol only, or both.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Resource posted:

Check out the community server browser and find a headshot-only deathmatch server. Also, don't spam default pistols at a distance, try to tap them. I find if you hold your crosshair steady at head height, and let enemies run into your crosshair, it's much easier then trying to flick to their head.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Cool, thanks for the tips, I will try all of that.
Next step, stop getting idiot teammates.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Resource posted:

Lower your sens.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
And then lower it again.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
dont listen to them

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I feel like my crosshairs are over people, bullets are ejaculating rapidly from my gun, and yet I don't hit them or only get one or two hits. I want to say that if there was a Call of Duty style killcam, it would show me not even firing from their perspective.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Resource posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=243702660

This is your map for just clicking heads. Offhand assuming you aren't playing at some weird high dps settings, aren't moving while trying to shoot and you're at least aware of the idea of crosshair placement you're probably just panicking. Not like vietnam flashback panicking but not taking the time to aim properly. Because aiming properly is taking too long and you have to kill the other guy this instant. Best to not worry about dying or winning and just spend the next few games trying to adjust your crosshair appropriately when you come face to face with someone.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

I feel like my crosshairs are over people, bullets are ejaculating rapidly from my gun, and yet I don't hit them or only get one or two hits. I want to say that if there was a Call of Duty style killcam, it would show me not even firing from their perspective.

some possible explanations: you may have been moving, you may have been lagging, they may have been lagging, the server may have been lagging, the server may have been downloading a file, the MM servers are poo poo, every gun has some RNG when moving, maybe you hosed up your spray or your strafe, this game is finnicky, hitboxes are very bad, maybe a flashbang or rifle stopped your bullets, and, furthermore, lower your sens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i played two pugs yesterday and only did well in overtime

we went 2-1 in a 4v5 on T side cache on ESEA, then got a ringer, went 1-2, then we went 4-0

thank god