Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Yea they are combat deployments, you know nothing about marine expeditionary units and what they do.

trust a marine to confuse a firefight with a humanitarian mission

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The military is a really cheap jobs program for young males that is unfortunately saddled with a tremendously expensive procurement apparatus. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't bleeding us dry while simultaneously being used to make the world a worse place.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Thalantos posted:

The Iraq war really saw a lot of blurring of those lines.

I should have been behind a desk writing reports during my deployment, and, well.....I wasn't.

Look at all the women getting combat action badges even though women weren't allowed in combat arms.

I've heard a lot of that. It seems like that has been how it always has been? I figure back during the various wars of yesteryear, no one was truly safe. Though I figure it is especially true now since we are sitting in the middle of territory that the enemy is in, because they aren't a firm group anymore, just people that run around form place to place.

Isis's mistake was trying to become a solid target.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Thank god for Marine Combat Training ;)

I served with the army while I was in AZ doing UAV work and surprisingly made a lot of good friends with soldiers. One thing I noticed was the USMC is wayyyy stricter and and authoritarian than the army.

Agreed. Marines are intense, but if there was ever a hero group of people I'd want on my side, it's the USMC :)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The military is a really cheap jobs program for young males that is unfortunately saddled with a tremendously expensive procurement apparatus. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't bleeding us dry while simultaneously being used to make the world a worse place.

dont forget exploiting americans inherent nationalism and simplistic patriotic values to serve as political cover for a massively corrupt cycle of lobbying and graft

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

boner confessor posted:

I think you've proven yourself to not know what you're talking about.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Shagman posted:

No need to link ADL or SPLC articles, or argue about the not so subtle connections with the LARPers.

That's for the best, since you're starting to see people on the right claim that the SPLC is in the tank for the Dems now and can't be trusted.

Doesn't matter. Nothing matters. They'll just say that Trump can't control who supports him.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Thalantos posted:

I think you've proven yourself to not know what you're talking about.

if that helps you sleep at night, buddy. i'll let other people be the judge of that

like i was saying, the median age of a veteran is over retirement age and that's why they're all dying

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Shagman posted:

Full article about Richard Spencer's NPI conference Nazi salutes: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/richard-spencer-speech-npi/508379/

I can’t overstate how incredibly damaging this video is. This is a complete failure on their part and their leaders are livid right now.
I especially love the crowd; you could just sneak up on these people and yell “Sieg Heil” and their arm will be up before they even realise.

This is a watershed moment.
The alt-right does not openly associate themselves with Nazism because they know how bad it looks. People like Spencer don’t call people "kike" and when they approach the "Jewish Question" they do so carefully.
Sure, there’s also the Daily Stormer and The Right Stuff who will gladly call themselves Nazis, but the rest of the alt-right publicly dismisses them as "LARPers"; a bunch of cooks who "discredit White identity via guilt by association".
Such a dismissal can be found on Breitbart in Milo's seminal essay An establishment guide to the alt-right.

In Richard Spencer’s AMA on the altright subreddit, he wrote

and

And then he just goes "Hail Trump! Hail Our People! Hail Victory!" (did you know that "Hail Victory" in German is said “Sieg Heil”?).
Incomprehensible…
Did he just get caught in the heat of the moment?
Sure, the press wasn’t supposed to be there still, but they themselves were livestreaming it. It’s on their freaking youtube (no view of the salutes in the crowd though)...

Their entire movement is affected because Spencer is the one who coined and popularised the term “alt-right”.
This is going to be to goto video to discredit them for years to come. No need to link ADL or SPLC articles, or argue about the not so subtle connections with the LARPers.
BAM! A 10 seconds video and years of their work to present themselves as “respectable” are wiped out.

I am really giddy about this. Really great journalistic work by the Atlantic.
No need to restrain ourselves from calling Steve Bannon a Nazi now. He brought it on himself.

It especially warms my heart to think of Peter Brimelow of VDare, who spoke at the conference. He has always described VDare as a totally legitimate website that happens to focus on immigration issues and we're totally not White Nationalists or anything I swear, well ok maybe we have a White Nationalist article once in a while but we print lots of different views so it doesn't mean anything…
Brimelow says this stuff literally every time anybody tries to associate VDare with the alt-right and it’s the most infuriating thing… In fact I skimmed over the 10 hours video of the conference and there he was saying exactly that again.
Anyways, he’s not happy: Juvenile Bravado Undercuts NPI Conference Triumph, And VDARE.com

As they say in the alt-right… KEK

gently caress this is good

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

boner confessor posted:

That would have been a good burn but the fact is you don't know anything about marine deployments or MEUs.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/LarryChaffinCEO/status/800865924446388224

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Thalantos posted:

The Iraq war really saw a lot of blurring of those lines.

I should have been behind a desk writing reports during my deployment, and, well.....I wasn't.

Look at all the women getting combat action badges even though women weren't allowed in combat arms.

Just look at Tammy Duckworth, what a loving great American.

I heard most Purple Hearts during OIF went to motor t guys and supply marines.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
People ought to be able to tell the alt-right are fascist without them breaking out in swastikas and "Sieg Heils."

Unfortunately they don't seem to be able to. The average person is a moron about generalizing. They can't draw a line from the Nazis hating the Jews to the alt-right hating the Muslims and figure out that they are the same bastards in a different cultural context.

They don't realize that in 1930, the average person hated the Jews (mildly) in the same way as the average person (mildly) hates the Muslims these days. Simplistic narratives present the Nazis as hating Jews with no social or historical context. It's presented as if a nation suddenly stood up and decided to genocide the Mormons with no forewarning, or justification, or gradually growing hate - just because a madman hypnotized them into hatred from nowhere. They don't realise that mild anti-semitism was a perfectly acceptable opinion back in those days.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

This is gonna be the end of Trump's candidacy

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

boner confessor posted:

if that helps you sleep at night, buddy. i'll let other people be the judge of that

like i was saying, the median age of a veteran is over retirement age and that's why they're all dying

I was talking about suicides!

gently caress Christ's third nipple, Jesus!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Yesssss

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Just look at Tammy Duckworth, what a loving great American.

I heard most Purple Hearts during OIF went to motor t guys and supply marines.

You know how you always see top brass with poo poo like bronze stars and you wonder how they got them? Colin Powell got his by running into a burning helicopter and pulling people out.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

The absolute best part of that Atlantic article is that it links to a Peter Brimelow (noxious white supremacist goober) article where he describes how antifa totally pushed the NPI's poo poo in. Strange, I haven't heard this reported by the media at all....

quote:

A point generally suppressed in the MSM reports: the relentless weekend-long attack on the NPI conference by an organized “Anti-Fascist” Leftist gang–always described euphemistically as “protestors.”

They intimidated two restaurants into cancelling the Friday night dinner and, when a third was found, actually invaded it and sprayed participants, including Spencer, with some fecal-smelling liquid. They besieged the Reagan Center, which NPI is forced to use because as a federal facility it is compelled to honor the First Amendment, obscenely harassed conference attendees regardless of age or sex, and assaulted at least one of them, bloodying his face.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Proud Christian Mom posted:

It honestly has alot to do with the fact that it's gotten really big and expensive during these 15 years, and bush tax cuts really hosed up how war usually works.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mantis42 posted:

The Wall actually will be built and will probably do an okay job of stopping border crossings, please do not take John Oliver's stupid bit seriously. You should probably worry about literally any of Trump's other policies which will be a thousand times worst than his stupid vanity project.

Building an actual wall along the entire border is a massive undertaking that will have tens if not hundreds of billions of dollars vanish in to nothingness* even before getting to the actual cost of the project in terms of materials and manpower.

* pockets of Trump, his associates, and anyone else who can steal a slice of that giant pie.

I don't think Scotland will give a poo poo since if Brexit goes through they're going to vote for Independence again and it'll likely pass by a healthy margin. At that point Trump can get hosed because IIRC Scotland by and large hates him.

Shagman posted:

Full article about Richard Spencer's NPI conference Nazi salutes: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/richard-spencer-speech-npi/508379/
:words:

None of this matters, except that it'll be much more normalized over the next several years.

Is 'kek' really an alt-right thing? Because I see tons of people use it. I thought it was just some new "lol" for idiots.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

boner confessor posted:

so is assembling the world's largest transformers collection but that's not any more useful for society than shooting at third world farmers who can't shoot back

Are you being purposely obtuse?

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

hello, the wall is gonna be golden and is gonna be engraved with the words "TRUMP", these mexican terrorists are gonna flee when they see it :rolleyes:

Don't forget room for the words 'radical Islamic terrorism'.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Somewhere the specters of Thompson and Murrow are pouring themselves a drink.

Important thing to learn, I suppose. It's only ever off the record if they want to keep you around as a source.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I truly expect that media tape to sound like the ravings of a loving madman. There is absolute no way Whiny Baby Trump kept it together at all in the presence of his most despised enemies (journalism and the truth). I'm guessing lots of "I WILL loving BURY YOU IF YOU CROSS ME" and other fun conversation topics.

I don't think it'll move the needle of opinion in America in all, but it's going to make the growing Trump resistance stronger in their convictions, cause its gonna be scary.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

the black husserl posted:

I truly expect that media tape to sound like the ravings of a loving madman. There is absolute no way Whiny Baby Trump kept it together at all in the presence of his most despised enemies (journalism and the truth). I'm guessing lots of "I WILL loving BURY YOU IF YOU CROSS ME" and other fun conversation topics.

I don't think it'll move the needle of opinion in America in all, but it's going to make the growing Trump resistance stronger in their convictions, cause its gonna be scary.

Still not going to get my hopes up.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

There's a strong anti-media current in both the left and the right at the moment. I'm finding it a little scary. I doubt either the far left or far right care that Trump made some "media elite" cry.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is 'kek' really an alt-right thing? Because I see tons of people use it. I thought it was just some new "lol" for idiots.

kek is how koreans would say lol in starcraft like 20 years ago so it's neither new nor white

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

My body is ready.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's years and years old, it's something to do with how it's the Korean equivalent to "hahaha", or something like that and was often seen in text chat in some online game (Starcraft?) and then became a meme and then taken over by the alt-right.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Vieled threat from Conway

quote:

KellyAnn Conways: By the way, it's an off-the-record meeting so whoever said that and mischaracterized it should think twice."
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/307127-report-trump-media-meeting-a-f-ing-firing-squad

TheScott2K posted:

My body is ready.

Unless it is an actual, unequivocal death threat it won't matter.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
spanish speakers laugh like jajajajaja

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Should be funny, but why will this ultimately matter at all?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

BarbarianElephant posted:

There's a strong anti-media current in both the left and the right at the moment. I'm finding it a little scary. I doubt either the far left or far right care that Trump made some "media elite" cry.

Yeah that's the main concern. Although I suppose you could push the angle that it just fits in with how he's emotionally incapable of acting properly.

Xae posted:

Vieled threat from Conway

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/307127-report-trump-media-meeting-a-f-ing-firing-squad

Unless it is an actual, unequivocal death threat it won't matter.

Yep afraid so. Or "I'll tell you what you get to say" or something similar.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
i mean, the media isn't exactly a paragon of virtue right now, whole lot of people would love to hear trump tear them a new rear end in a top hat

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

That would have been a good burn but the fact is you don't know anything about marine deployments or MEUs.

The Marines had a number of pretty well documented problems with (euphemistically) "loose" ROEs in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

The absolute best part of that Atlantic article is that it links to a Peter Brimelow (noxious white supremacist goober) article where he describes how antifa totally pushed the NPI's poo poo in. Strange, I haven't heard this reported by the media at all....

Here comrade, have a video: https://itsgoingdown.org/national-policy-institute-nazis-besieged-ronald-reagan-building-anti-fascists/

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

citybeatnik posted:

Somewhere the specters of Thompson and Murrow are pouring themselves a drink.

Important thing to learn, I suppose. It's only ever off the record if they want to keep you around as a source.

i was thinking about this while driving

trump's biggest card is denying them white house coverage, right? if all of the white house coverage is going to be delicately procured bullshit anyways wouldn't it be in the ~free market~ sense of the press to be The One That Stood Up To Trump?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Noctone posted:

i mean, the media isn't exactly a paragon of virtue right now, whole lot of people would love to hear trump tear them a new rear end in a top hat

Piss off his base? The base that's been harassing, assaulting them this whole election cycle? Yeah. It's just setting the stage for a four year war between Trump and literally all non-Breitbart media. He's already on the brink of cutting off the press from his administration in an unprecedented manner. They know he's going to do this; they have little to lose. The press have been abused and the idea that they might actually stand up to him is too little, too late, but it's not bad. We need them to get their poo poo together to help pull us all through four years of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

speng31b posted:

Piss off his base? The base that's been harassing, assaulting them this whole election cycle? Yeah. It's just setting the stage for a four year war between Trump and literally all non-Breitrbart media. He's already on the brink of cutting off the press from his administration in an unprecedented manner. The press have been abused and the idea that they might actually stand up to him is too little, too late, but it's not bad. We need them to get their poo poo together to help pull us all through four years of this.

the problem is that journalistic ethics and impartiality is something they fetishize almost as much as middle america fetishizes well paying factory jobs, in both cases causing parties to act against their interests

• Locked thread