Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thermos H Christ posted:

I'm starting to panic now. Our AD is a fan/booster with no relevant experience who couldn't successfully hire away Tulsa's non-playcalling OC to take over playcalling duties at Texas for a million loving dollars a year, and in fact got turned down before the University President got on a plane and personally went to the guy's house to salvage the deal.

This seems like a function of being Texas and everyone believing Strong was as dead man walking coming into the year barring some great season. That's a particularly hard sell to anyone who is comfortable in their current job and thinks they can hold out for a better/safer deal.

Funny how it went down, Texas's offense has largely been fine this year.

e: Oops I'd forgotten that the president thing actually worked and they ended up getting Gilbert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Thoguh posted:

So what are they gonna do if Texas beats TCU and becomes bowl eligible? Just have Strong hang out there twisting in the wind for another month?

I can't see them doing anything but firing Strong and having someone else coach the bowl game, unless they announce they are keeping him another year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pakled posted:

Has a coach ever been fired after a bowl game for on-the-field reasons?

Michigan waited until after the bowl game to fire rich rod to gently caress him out of $1mil from his buyout

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Democrazy posted:

As far as Charlie Strong goes, the worst thing about it for me is that I think Charlie Strong could win a national championship at another school. If Texas were to be so lucky as to get in the playoffs in future years, I could see them getting beaten by Strong once he's figured out a place where he can be successful like he was at Louisville.

Maybe? I think expectations based on his success at Louisville should be tempered by two facts. First, he went .500 against teams that finished in AP-Top 25 during his two best years at Louisville. Second, half of his wins during the same period came against teams with losing records in the Big East/ACC/MAC.

To me nothing there seems screams "probable future national championship."

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Pakled posted:

Glen Mason blew a like 90 point halftime lead against Texas Tech in a bowl game and went from "this guy is fine but feels like he may have plateaued" to "fire this fucker immediately" pretty much overnight. Which in hindsight turns out to have probably been a really bad idea for Minnesota.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

MourningView posted:

Glen Mason blew a like 90 point halftime lead against Texas Tech in a bowl game and went from "this guy is fine but feels like he may have plateaued" to "fire this fucker immediately" pretty much overnight. Which in hindsight turns out to have probably been a really bad idea for Minnesota.

Mark May said at the time: "Who do they think they are?" Mason did good work for them.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

Minnesota was really fun to watch back then. Great rushing attack.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

DJExile posted:

Michigan waited until after the bowl game to fire rich rod to gently caress him out of $1mil from his buyout

The team quit on him and he also got railroaded in that game.

He got a raw deal, but he had to go.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
I feel bad some times but then I look at Texas and realize that everyone is loving incompetent everywhere.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Kim Jong Il posted:

I feel bad some times but then I look at Texas and realize that everyone is loving incompetent everywhere.

Also just shows some time you can make the best possible hire and still have it turn into a dumpster fire

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

Craig Bohl's doing pretty good in Wyoming.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Adun posted:

Also just shows some time you can make the best possible hire and still have it turn into a dumpster fire

charlie strong did not fail texas. texas failed charlie strong. charlie strong is the best coach, and also my friend, and he is strong, with big muscles. all hail charlie strong.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Pakled posted:

Does Woody Hayes punching a player count as an "on-the-field" reason?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Scionix posted:

charlie strong did not fail texas. texas failed charlie strong. charlie strong is the best coach, and also my friend, and he is strong, with big muscles. all hail charlie strong.

You realize Charlie Strong knew some pretty big success at schools from both a head coaching and assistant position before he came to Texas, right?

Maybe, uh, the problem really is Texas.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

DJExile posted:

HAWKINS IS BACK MOTHER FUCKERS

AHHHHHHHHHHHahahaha! What a stupid and bad hire. Way to ensure your own firing within a few years, Butch Davis. Hawkins is completely useless, unless he's somehow managed to convince Chris Peterson to come with him, so that he can take credit for all of Peterson's work.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

LLCoolJD posted:

Boulder, Colorado isn't a terrible place to live. I don't know what kind of a budget they have. Short of an offer from USC or some other top echelon job, it seems like as good a place as any to dig in and stay if the money's good. Nice homefield advantage, too.

We just built the best facilities in the country. I think we have the budget to keep Macintyre. I mean, it would be patently retarded to spend that much money on facilities if you were just going to let your national coach of the year candidate walk away because you didn't want to pay him

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DrunkPanda posted:

We just built the best facilities in the country

Um...I'm going to need some proof here. Have you seen the poo poo that Alabama and Oregon do?

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

big juicy nectarine posted:

You realize Charlie Strong knew some pretty big success at schools from both a head coaching and assistant position before he came to Texas, right?

I'd be curious what you think would be so toxic at the program to cause the football program to be so poor, though. Recruiting has not precipitously dropped, but the team consistently loses to way less talented teams. His tenure as a coach at Texas is historically the worst.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DuckHuntDog posted:

I'd be curious what you think would be so toxic at the program to cause the football program to be so poor, though. Recruiting has not precipitously dropped, but the team consistently loses to way less talented teams. His tenure as a coach at Texas is historically the worst.

"huh, Dana X. Bible is a pretty interesting name, wonder what he was all about"

Wikipedia posted:

Bible was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame as a coach in 1951. He was also a known Ku Klux Klan member, with his Klan robes on permanent display at the Texas A&M Cushing Library.[1]

:stare:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Jesus this really is the RichRod thing all over again, right down to lots of people completely ignoring what a poo poo job Strong did because some boosters were mean to him or whatever.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

DuckHuntDog posted:

You have boosters that go off the rail and think they are more important to the program than the coach. The reason why Texas isn't seen as a top job in football has everything to do with the structure that allows boosters to throw their weight around freely and operate independently of the Athletic Department. Like, imagine if you hire anyone other than Tom Herman, do you see that person lasting more than 3 years?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Pretty sure just about everyone still sees Texas as a top job and they are the overwhelming favorites to hire the hottest coaching name on the market.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
If Texas doesn't get Tom Herman you honestly think they last more than 3 years if they don't have CFP appearance? The program has ridiculous expectations and the boosters have far too much control over a new AD and administration. Its exactly why you see mutiple reports about Strong being fired despite him not actually being fired.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

MourningView posted:

Jesus this really is the RichRod thing all over again, right down to lots of people completely ignoring what a poo poo job Strong did because some boosters were mean to him or whatever.

Agreed

Him being on the hotseat in season 1 was dumb boosters

Him being fired now is a slightly quick trigger, but not particularly unexpected or unwarranted. If he had has more success in any of his previous years, he would have enough slack for another season, but he hasn't shown enough at Texas to buy himself more time

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

swickles posted:

You have boosters that go off the rail and think they are more important to the program than the coach. The reason why Texas isn't seen as a top job in football has everything to do with the structure that allows boosters to throw their weight around freely and operate independently of the Athletic Department. Like, imagine if you hire anyone other than Tom Herman, do you see that person lasting more than 3 years?

I get that this is the narrative and there are always sources talking about unnamed boosters, but I'm not all that convinced Texas is particularly worse than any other large schools. Was it because of Patterson's firing and Perrin not really being a strong voice at the top? That power vacuum is definitely why this whole thing is being botched right now, but I'm not convinced it has much to do with booster meddling as much as really poor communication and control in the athletic department and president's offices since it is such a bureaucratic mess right now. Even the shakeup at top happened because of state politics in the case of Fenves replacing Powers, and near universal disdain for Steve Patterson with the AD shakeup.

I could be wrong about all of this and the program could be in the midst of some sort of death spiral, but I think it would take another head coach coming in for that to become apparent. I am not even sure Strong wouldn't have a good season given another year considering the team is still pretty young and the support he has from the players, but even that goes back to his coaching style and the mass exodus of players as he came in.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DuckHuntDog posted:

I get that this is the narrative and there are always sources talking about unnamed boosters, but I'm not all that convinced Texas is particularly worse than any other large schools. Was it because of Patterson's firing and Perrin not really being a strong voice at the top? That power vacuum is definitely why this whole thing is being botched right now, but I'm not convinced it has much to do with booster meddling as much as really poor communication and control in the athletic department and president's offices since it is such a bureaucratic mess right now. Even the shakeup at top happened because of state politics in the case of Fenves replacing Powers, and near universal disdain for Steve Patterson with the AD shakeup.

Agreed that the program will not die a horrendous death or anything like that, like 3 bad years is about the absolute worst thing that can happen because of money/recruiting area/willingness to go absolutely crazy about this type of thing. You yourself said that Strong is the worst coach in school history but there's no question there's a fuckload of talent on that team.

But I do think Texas is uniquely bad. Maybe not because of boosters exactly, but goddamn is it always something with Texas. I don't really remember what happened in the coaching search after Mackovic was fired so specific to searches all I've got to go on is Charlie Strong. But from the Big 12 conference troubles to the Pac-16 to conference expansion or lack thereof (nice job hoodwinking Houston there) to the Longhorn Network to everything else Texas is the school that creates the most batshit insane rumors that people actually believe, just because they're Texas. Ideally that type of bullshit doesn't matter to actual decision makers, but Texas is consistently so far up their own rear end that I have no doubt a decent amount of the leaked crap is coming from people who actually are in a place to influence things at least somewhat.

e: For the record Strong should absolutely go, I'm not arguing against making a move. I am arguing the process is likely to annoy the living poo poo out of everyone, if it doesn't I'll be amazed.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 22, 2016

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Grittybeard posted:

Um...I'm going to need some proof here. Have you seen the poo poo that Alabama and Oregon do?

Well, I guess "best" is kind of a subjective ranking. But my point is we spent $180 million to upgrade our facilities last year. We're not going to do that and then say "oh, we don't want to spend an extra million to keep our head coach. we don't mind going back to being lovely at football"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Regnevelc posted:

The team quit on him and he also got railroaded in that game.

He got a raw deal, but he had to go.

He also had the most visible group of antagonists against him from day 1 that I can recall in recent years. He ended up being a not great coach but the school / "Carr's people aka we want a Michigan Man!" poo poo did him no favors.

swickles posted:

In what world is this not the top job open this year (apart from arguably LSU)? Strong was getting support from the AD, he wasn't held back by some scandal or undermining. He had 3 seasons and he didn't improve. This isn't some huge thing where outsiders will look and say "well they sure hosed their HC over, I want no part of that." Strong just was not successful despite recruiting a lot of talent and having a large recruiting base at his disposal.

Grittybeard posted:

Agreed that the program will not die a horrendous death or anything like that, like 3 bad years is about the absolute worst thing that can happen because of money/recruiting area/willingness to go absolutely crazy about this type of thing. You yourself said that Strong is the worst coach in school history but there's no question there's a fuckload of talent on that team.

But I do think Texas is uniquely bad. Maybe not because of boosters exactly, but goddamn is it always something with Texas. I don't really remember what happened in the coaching search after Mackovic was fired so specific to searches all I've got to go on is Charlie Strong. But from the Big 12 conference troubles to the Pac-16 to conference expansion or lack thereof (nice job hoodwinking Houston there) to the Longhorn Network to everything else Texas is the school that creates the most batshit insane rumors that people actually believe, just because they're Texas. Ideally that type of bullshit doesn't matter to actual decision makers, but Texas is consistently so far up their own rear end that I have no doubt a decent amount of the leaked crap is coming from people who actually are in a place to influence things at least somewhat.

e: For the record Strong should absolutely go, I'm not arguing against making a move. I am arguing the process is likely to annoy the living poo poo out of everyone, if it doesn't I'll be amazed.

When you're a massive, wealthy program with national exposure poo poo gets a lot of visibility. I'd be willing to bet this kind of bullshit goes on all the time but people aren't lining up to write articles about rumors and intrigue in the Purdue HC search.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That Works posted:

He also had the most visible group of antagonists against him from day 1 that I can recall in recent years. He ended up being a not great coach but the school / "Carr's people aka we want a Michigan Man!" poo poo did him no favors.

Yeah he was openly sabotaged by his own school at times. When the practice time non-scandal broke, the AD and president threw him to the wolves and the first person to defend him was Jim loving Tressel of all people.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

big juicy nectarine posted:

I think Charlie Strong is overall a pretty good coach who has done a poo poo job coaching Texas.

A big part of the reason coaching hires are always a roll of the dice is because different schools require different skillsets. So a coach that was extremely successful in one environment can fall on their face in a different one.

Texas needs a Saban-type coach. Somebody who can focus a bunch of five stars and keep the ones on the bench satisfied that they are developing and their time will come once the whole senior class gets drafted. That's a different skillet than what Strong needed at Louisville.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
uh Texas just needs coaches that can teach kids to loving tackle

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Charlie Strong lost to Kansas

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Yeah he was openly sabotaged by his own school at times. When the practice time non-scandal broke, the AD and president threw him to the wolves and the first person to defend him was Jim loving Tressel of all people.

hosed up that boosters forced him to stop recruiting offensive linemen and force a defensive scheme on coaches who had never coached it.

The Glumslinger posted:

Agreed

Him being on the hotseat in season 1 was dumb boosters

Him being fired now is a slightly quick trigger, but not particularly unexpected or unwarranted. If he had has more success in any of his previous years, he would have enough slack for another season, but he hasn't shown enough at Texas to buy himself more time

It's not a quick trigger at all. He's had one of the worst 3 year runs in the history of Texas football, has not shown appreciable improvement, might miss a bowl game (again) despite the big 12 being as bad as it's been in like over a decade, and just lost to loving Kansas. That run would get you at least on the hot seat at just about any school with a reasonable football history, much less one with all the resources and advantages that Texas has. He has done a lovely job and while it sucks that some rich assholes were jerks to him, that's not what lost them football games. Texas is one of the easiest places to win in the entire sport, it shouldn't ever be this bad for this long. He's not getting fired because he wasn't as friendly at parties as Mack Brown was, he's getting fired because his football teams have been garbage.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 22, 2016

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Charlie Strong lost to Kansas

Yeah I mean no amount of undermining could excuse that. Even if Red McCombs was personally on the sideline attempting to put Strong in a sleeper hold for the entirety of every practice and every game, we should still skate past Kansas with this roster.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

hosed up that boosters forced him to stop recruiting offensive lineman and force a defensive scheme on coaches who had never coached it.

Oh yeah he hosed up plenty on his own, I'm not dismissing that.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Texas undoubtedly sucks, but not on the level that Charlie Strong made them suck.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Texas undoubtedly sucks, but not on the level that Charlie Strong made them suck.

Right. Like they're playing a whole bunch of freshman, including a first time QB -- but like they have the talent that in our lovely rear end league, they should be able to be 8-4 by just getting off the bus.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
The Texas AD has missed his window to fire Strong with righteous indignation. Now they're much more shackled to the result of Friday's game. Watch Texas beat a mediocre TCU and get stuck with another 7-5 type season next year.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Jesus Christ gently caress off LSU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

LLCoolJD posted:

The Texas AD has missed his window to fire Strong with righteous indignation. Now they're much more shackled to the result of Friday's game. Watch Texas beat a mediocre TCU and get stuck with another 7-5 type season next year.

It may be misguided, but maybe he thinks there's something to sticking to his word of waiting until the end of the season to make a decision, aka fire Charlie. And by not breaking that word, in some sense standing up to other boosters.

A man can dream.

• Locked thread