Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

FilthyImp posted:

While Newsom is a serviceable politician and liberal-enough, his Replicant demeanor means no one is fired up about him.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060506211308/http://www.thewavemag.com/pagegen.php?pagename=article&articleid=24031

Still one of my favorite articles ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I was rereading it yesterday, so good.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I have a California law question. Last year we got mandated sick pay. How does this work with vacation pay since vacation pay isn't a right? If I get sick for a day, can they just take a vacation day from me instead of using sick pay? I'm assuming the answer is yes, because whatever answer fucks the worker is probably the correct one.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I have a California law question. Last year we got mandated sick pay. How does this work with vacation pay since vacation pay isn't a right? If I get sick for a day, can they just take a vacation day from me instead of using sick pay? I'm assuming the answer is yes, because whatever answer fucks the worker is probably the correct one.
It is highly likely that your company doesn't keep separate "sick leave" and "vacation leave" pools these days. They probably offer "paid time off," which means that, yes, getting sick will be taken out of your balance of accrued vacation days first.

FilthyImp posted:

The new liberalism is basically "Can I get *excited* about this candidate".

While Newsom is a serviceable politician and liberal-enough, his Replicant demeanor means no one is fired up about him.
Putting forth the "I am the most conventional and experienced person and therefore deserve the job" is great for legislators and bureaucratic appointees, but the closer someone gets to executive office, the more I want to see evidence that they actually care about the issues I care about before I pull the lever for them.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Do be sure to get all your bosses sick when you have to come in due to lack of sick leave balance

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Vacation needs to be requested at least a day in advance. Sick time doesn't usually need advance notice and my boss could ask for a Doctor's note if he wanted, but nobody does that unless it's a problematic employee.

I accrue sick and vacation time at different rates. All this is in my MOU.

And no you can't just take vacation if you call in sick and don't have the hours, you take leave without pay.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Yeah, everywhere I've ever worked with sick days had them as a separate counter. If you called in sick you lost a sick day, otherwise you'd have to schedule time off as normal. If you were out of sick days and you had to call in sick, then it was a day off without pay. You couldn't schedule a sick day ahead of time.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

FilthyImp posted:

The new liberalism is basically "Can I get *excited* about this candidate".

It is what it is. The only two Democratic Presidents in my lifetime have been young, attractive and uniquely charismatic. If that is what it takes and we can find one who will aggressively pursue a progressive, populist agenda, then I'll take it.

Sick and vacation day distinctions are annoying and can put people in awkward positions.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I just looked up my State Senate race to see if it's been called yet, and right now the Democratic candidate is trailing by 187 votes. If he wins, the democrats will have a supermajority in the both the Assembly and the Senate.

Holy poo poo.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Instant Sunrise posted:

I just looked up my State Senate race to see if it's been called yet, and right now the Democratic candidate is trailing by 187 votes. If he wins, the democrats will have a supermajority in the both the Assembly and the Senate.

Holy poo poo.

That's pretty tight. Here's hoping. Last thing California needs right now is Republicans gumming up the works on the state level too.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

That's pretty tight. Here's hoping. Last thing California needs right now is Republicans gumming up the works on the state level too.

Chang has a lead from the part of the district in San Bernadino county (also she's from Diamond Bar, so...). Orange County and Los Angeles County voted more favorable towards Newman, and the ballots left to count are in Los Angeles. :getin:

Also I know for a fact that in Orange County, Chang didn't even bother submitting a candidate statement for the county-level voter guide & sample ballot.

I did get a shitload of mailers from some SuperPAC funded by the oil and gas industry trying to compare Newman to Trump WRT "locker room talk" though

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Instant Sunrise posted:

Chang has a lead from the part of the district in San Bernadino county (also she's from Diamond Bar, so...). Orange County and Los Angeles County voted more favorable towards Newman, and the ballots left to count are in Los Angeles. :getin:

Also I know for a fact that in Orange County, Chang didn't even bother submitting a candidate statement for the county-level voter guide & sample ballot.

I did get a shitload of mailers from some SuperPAC funded by the oil and gas industry trying to compare Newman to Trump WRT "locker room talk" though

Yay Diamond Bar!! We're only kind of a scummy piece of poo poo cesspool of greed and corruption.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Instant Sunrise posted:

He also got his start on the statewide political map by telling San Francisco city hall to issue marriage licenses to gay couples as a gently caress you to Prop 22.

Later after the state Supreme Court legalized gay marriage he said that gay marriage was inevitable and would happen "whether you like it or not."

Something the yes on 8 campaign replayed CONSTANTLY, and arguably was a major reason that prop 8 passed.

I don't really have a problem with this.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't really have a problem with this.

Yeah, but it was a motivater for pro-Prop 8 people because it looked arrogant.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lycus posted:

Given Trump's election is largely seen as a failure of Clinton to inspire, I'll take nakedly, unapologetically liberal arrogance.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lycus posted:

Homophobic assholes are going to vote how they vote. Standing up for LGBT people like that is a point in his favor to me, not against. I don't give a flying gently caress if Republicans think he's arrogant.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Cryogenically freeze Jerry Brown and thaw him out in 4 years.

Moonbeam 2020.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

themrguy posted:

Moonbeam 2020.

He's not perfect. His aggressive vendetta against education funding is not great.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

He's not perfect.

Oh shoot, well in that case I guess we'd better just give up then

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Progressive JPEG posted:

Oh shoot, well in that case I guess we'd better just give up then

I'm just saying I'm not going to romantically entertain the thought of keeping him in charge forever. He was the governor we needed, not the one we deserve.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
People here always complain about direct democracy but the 2016 results for California seem mostly good? Are laws from propositions actually worse on average than laws from legislators?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Cicero posted:

People here always complain about direct democracy but the 2016 results for California seem mostly good? Are laws from propositions actually worse on average than laws from legislators?

Except for the death penalty ones.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Cicero posted:

We tend to vote on lower taxes, but we will still vote for things that require funding.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Homophobic assholes are going to vote how they vote. Standing up for LGBT people like that is a point in his favor to me, not against. I don't give a flying gently caress if Republicans think he's arrogant.
I was living in the City when Gavin was elected. The Bush years were full of making GBS threads all over minority rights and stopping social progress. I remember the day when he held up a middle finger to the all of that and decided that SF was going to marry gay couples. I went down to City Hall before work and I was moved to tears by what I saw there. People were so happy to be able to get married and the City was jazzed to be the liberal mecca we wished we actually were. Bar hopping that night felt like one giant celebration, everyone was ecstatic.

Newsom might be a slimy and a career politician, but I'll never be more grateful that a liberal politician got off their rear end and fought for something progressive not giving a drat that less than 57% of the people supported it. Prop 8 passed, but the gay marriage ball was rolling and picking up speed.

Gavin's cool in my book.

Matt Gonzalez :allears:
After that election, I was out drinking and ran into him. Really nice guy.

Miss Nomer fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 22, 2016

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

themrguy posted:

Moonbeam 2020.

we seriously need some Futurama head-in-a-jar technology immediately for that man

also my primary problem with Gavin Newsom is he gives me the impression that he shits perfect little ivory cubes. the man comes off as completely artificial in every way.

e. do you like huey lewis and the newsom?

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 22, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Prop 8 passed in no small part due to out of state Mormon money flooding into the campaign for it. There were also tons of bullshit articles about priests being forced to gay marry people that scared a lot of gullible religious voters. None of that was Gavin Newsom's fault and it's absurd to blame a proponent of gay marriage for a backlash against gay marriage.

That said, I really hope Newsom doesn't run for president, because he'd pull a lot of support from party insiders and party establishment, but he would not win. He is young and attractive but also comes off as incredibly fake, like a wax doll of a person being operated by remote control, with the Gettys pulling the levers behind a curtain somewhere nearby.

Kamala Harris would be a better candidate, if we're gonna promote a California democrat as a presidential option. But strategically, the party needs to select a candidate from an important swing state like Florida or Ohio or I guess Pennsylvania is a swing state now, not a solidly blue state like new york or california that is going to go for the D candidate no matter what. And, the candidate needs to have credibility as a reformer, because "kick the bums out (except our bum)" is always the most effective narrative.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Kobayashi posted:

Given Trump's election is largely seen as a failure of Clinton to inspire, I'll take nakedly, unapologetically liberal arrogance.
LOL yes, Hillary didn't motivate people because she failed to project an aura of arrogance, inevitably, and knowing what is best for everyone. Bloomberg 2020, bend the knee, plebes.

Leperflesh posted:

It's absurd to blame a proponent of gay marriage for a backlash against gay marriage.
No, but you can absolutely blame a proponent of gay marriage for picking the most tone-deaf "gently caress your concerns and the law, this is happening so I can appeal to my base" message as the vanguard of the movement. He's basically Kim Davis, except you happen to agree with him.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 22, 2016

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

Leperflesh posted:

But strategically, the party needs to select a candidate from an important swing state like Florida or Ohio or I guess Pennsylvania is a swing state now, not a solidly blue state like new york or california that is going to go for the D candidate no matter what. And, the candidate needs to have credibility as a reformer, because "kick the bums out (except our bum)" is always the most effective narrative.

I don't think it matters which state they're from as long as they inspire the base.
Warren/Duckworth 2020

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Kamala Harris would be a better candidate, if we're gonna promote a California democrat as a presidential option. But strategically, the party needs to select a candidate from an important swing state like Florida or Ohio or I guess Pennsylvania is a swing state now, not a solidly blue state like new york or california that is going to go for the D candidate no matter what. And, the candidate needs to have credibility as a reformer, because "kick the bums out (except our bum)" is always the most effective narrative.

Obama showed the whole strategic geographic candidate thing is over. We could denominate Gore, but he's not going to win Tennessee.

What we need is a decent, charismatic candidate with whom people can empathize and who people think is on their side.

It's my humble opinion that trump won primarily on his talking about the negative repercussions of trade on the industrial workers of the rust belt, poo poo that really should have been democratic red meat if but for the fact that our candidate was Hillary Clinton and her name and nafta are linked.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think Trump won primarily because Hillary has been a target of right-wing hatred and lies for 15 years, and it stuck. She lacks the charisma to overcome that, and her deeply ingrained (and totally justified) distrust of the media feeds into her inability to seem genuine on camera. Democratic turnout was abysmally low so Trump won, because actually almost everyone just votes along party lines. Trump picked up some nominally blue (but not really) states on the basis of his anti-open-trade arguments, but that's not why he won the key swing states like Florida.

Check out the table in this post: http://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2016/Pres/Maps/Nov21.html#item-1
All of the "surprise" states that Trump won are actually pretty red states. The democrats win them when turnout is good and lose them when turnout is poor, and Hillary was too hated to get good democratic turnout. Obama got out the vote of his base, so he won by large margins.

I don't think that completely invalidates strategic geographic candidacy, though: we really haven't tried that. Tennessee isn't a strategic state because it's not a swing state and also not worth much EVs. Florida is: a candidate with a good reputation in Florida would be a killer candidate, provided the more important things you pointed out were there too: charisma, youth, projection of a genuine personality, etc.

I don't think either major party is good at nurturing and promoting good candidates from within, any more. Obama was not the party insider choice, and Trump sure as hell wasn't his party's leadership's preference either.

Then again, it's always our habit to look at what happened in the recent past and project that forward, when it's likely that in four (or god forbid eight) years, the situation will be new and different, the national conversation will be focused on something else, and some other factors we can't predict today will become the most paramount. Free trade agreements were not an important part of the national discussion four years ago.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Where can I find the results to Riverside's Measure O and Z? I can only find what is shown as "CC" but that wasn't on my ballot.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Press enterprise says they both passed.

Also whattup fellow rivergoon. Mission inn! Wood streets! Uhhh, yeah!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Where can I find the results to Riverside's Measure O and Z? I can only find what is shown as "CC" but that wasn't on my ballot.

Riverside County Registrar of Voters

Measure O (Riverside USD)
YES: 69.57%
NO: 30.43%

Measure Z (City of Riverside)
YES: 58.42%
NO: 41.58%

edit: also i guess there was a recall election in the yorba linda water district and two of the board members got recalled.

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 22, 2016

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

And yet Michael J. Beverage has been allowed to continue his reign of terror.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dead Reckoning posted:

He's basically Kim Davis, except you happen to agree with him.

Yes, that's exactly it, thank you. It's really telling that you think support for gay marriage is a matter of "happening to agree with it." The world is a better place when good people stand up for what's right, and America would be a better country if horrible people like Kim Davis weren't the only ones with a spine. Democrats didn't lose the election because Clinton was arrogant, they lost it because people didn't believe she would really fight for them.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Instant Sunrise posted:

Riverside County Registrar of Voters

Measure O (Riverside USD)
YES: 69.57%
NO: 30.43%

Measure Z (City of Riverside)
YES: 58.42%
NO: 41.58%

I'm actually surprised.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yes, that's exactly it, thank you. It's really telling that you think support for gay marriage is a matter of "happening to agree with it." The world is a better place when good people stand up for what's right, and America would be a better country if horrible people like Kim Davis weren't the only ones with a spine. Democrats didn't lose the election because Clinton was arrogant, they lost it because people didn't believe she would really fight for them.
"Defiance of the law is a moral imperative when I don't like the law, otherwise it is reprehensible." - :qq:

I'll note in your second sentence there you mean "people who agree with me" when you say "good people" and when you say "stand up for what's right" you actually mean "do things I agree with", and when you say "horrible people" you mean "people who disagree with you." Whether or not someone agrees with gay marriage is a matter of personal belief. Whether or not an elected official faithfully follows the law is not. Mayors and county clerks both have a responsibility to follow the law as it is, not as they wish it was.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dead Reckoning posted:

"Defiance of the law is a moral imperative when I don't like the law, otherwise it is reprehensible." - :qq:

I'll note in your second sentence there you mean "people who agree with me" when you say "good people" and when you say "stand up for what's right" you actually mean "do things I agree with", and when you say "horrible people" you mean "people who disagree with you." Whether or not someone agrees with gay marriage is a matter of personal belief. Whether or not an elected official faithfully follows the law is not. Mayors and county clerks both have a responsibility to follow the law as it is, not as they wish it was.

Defiance of the law is not in itself reprehensible or laudable. The intentions with which you undergo it, are. Again, it's very telling that you boil this down to "what do I agree with or disagree with." Agreeing with gay marriage is not a matter of personal belief. It's a matter of exerting authoritarian influence over others based on backwards, conservative moral systems. Kim Davis is not a bad person because she refused to do what she was told. She is a bad person because she refused to do so based on ugly and dehumanizing reasons. This dates back to the civil rights era, you simpleton. People have no "responsibility" to follow Jim Crow laws merely because they are laws. The point of laws, and government in general, is to serve and protect the populace. When it fails to do so, there is no honor in continuing to follow it blindly, there is only honor in fighting it. You can attempt to boil this down to a simple matter of opinion all you want, but I reject it wholeheartedly, and you're a smug, stupid prick.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's a matter of exerting authoritarian influence over others
You will never convince authoritarians that this is a bad thing regardless of the topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Defiance of the law is not in itself reprehensible or laudable. The intentions with which you undergo it, are.
Rephrasing it as "whether or not breaking the law is good depends on whether or not you do it for the right reasons" doesn't actually change the substance of your argument.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Again, it's very telling that you boil this down to "what do I agree with or disagree with." Agreeing with gay marriage is not ap matter of personal belief. It's a matter of exerting authoritarian influence over others based on backwards, conservative moral systems. Kim Davis is not a bad person because she refused to do what she was told. She is a bad person because she refused to do so based on ugly and dehumanizing reasons. This dates back to the civil rights era, you simpleton. People have no "responsibility" to follow Jim Crow laws merely because they are laws. The point of laws, and government in general, is to serve and protect the populace. When it fails to do so, there is no honor in continuing to follow it blindly, there is only honor in fighting it. You can attempt to boil this down to a simple matter of opinion all you want, but I reject it wholeheartedly, and you're a smug, stupid prick.
I was going to write a bunch of sarcastic poo poo about how gay marriage is not a matter of personal belief, it is a matter of protecting a traditional institution thousands of years old, but mostly I'm just hoping that the light will come on and you'll realize that declaring your personal beliefs to be inarguable moral truths does not actually make them so. Also, I can't tell if you're saying that you know Kim Davis' mind and are certain that she is some sort of whitebread Cruella DeVille for gay weddings instead of spotted puppies, or you're just declaring that anyone who subscribes to a belief system in conflict with your own is a bad person.

Becoming a government official means accepting a responsibility to execute the law irrespective of your personal feelings about it, because not everyone agrees with every law and civilization is about agreeing to follow a set of common rules. It turns out that the proper role of government in respecting competing rights and interests while guaranteeing the security of its citizens has been a contentious topic for the whole of human history, so maybe you should take a step back from declaring that you, personally have deduced the one true answer.