Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Praseodymi posted:

Hahahaha, good one.

Like, I know we get the whole miltarism thing as well, but I don't think i've ever seen anyone wandering around in their dress blues with people going "thank u 4 ur service" like you see in the USA. Maybe if you live in Royal Wootton Basset or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Is people pretending to have won medals in combat really a thing that happens?

Even their own report said that actual evidence of this happening, and its frequency, is pretty patchy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pesmerga posted:

I think part of the Brexit strategy is to increase militarisation, and as a result, military fetishism.

good thing farage was around for the remembrance day stuff and not loving off to the US to take photos with trump

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Ewan posted:

#betterambassadorthanfarage is trending right now
Because hashtags had such a positive effect on the EU referendum and US presidential election.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
quid pro quos:

quote:

Wigmore, who coordinated the communications effort for the push for Britain to leave the European Union, told The Express and the New York Times that Trump asked them to oppose new wind farms.

"He did not say he hated wind farms as a concept; he just did not like them spoiling the views," Wigmore told the New York Times.

He said that he and Banks already opposed wind farms and would be "campaigning against wind farms in England, Scotland and Wales." Wigmore said that Trump "did suggest that we should campaign on it" and that the conversation "spurred us in and we will be going for it," according to the New York Times.

Wigmore told The Express that Trump "is dismayed that his beloved Scotland has become over-run with ugly wind farms which he believes are a blight on the stunning landscape."

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

tooterfish posted:

Because hashtags had such a positive effect on the EU referendum and US presidential election.

Don't worry, there will be a change dot org petition any day now.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Like, I know we get the whole miltarism thing as well, but I don't think i've ever seen anyone wandering around in their dress blues with people going "thank u 4 ur service" like you see in the USA. Maybe if you live in Royal Wootton Basset or something?

I saw some bloke in a hoody go up to shake the hands of the unformed people selling poppies in Manchester.

Didn't even buy one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

MPs call for 'Walter Mitty' law to prosecute fake military heroes
More proof that laws named after people are universally bad.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Pesmerga posted:

I don't think that's what it's about, based on the following report. Furthermore, those acts would already constitute fraud, there wouldn't be a need for an additional specific offence. It's basically pointless shite from an idiot.

This hardly seems deserving of criminalisation.

I think part of the Brexit strategy is to increase militarisation, and as a result, military fetishism.

Oh yeah, I meant it's loving ridiculous that we do it. Especially because it's usually 80 year old men, or the mentally ill.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oh, hey, didn't see anyone mention that the government's trying to make it mandatory to have two forms of ID to access NHS healthcare... and will start trials of the proposal in immigrant-heavy areas.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Russia should just hurry up & invade us, just get over all the intermediate stages where we wonder if we're going to become properly authoritarian and jump straight to it. The intermediate stages give false hope that it could be stopped. That's bad.

This is sure making me glad that health is a devolved matter. Wish more things were devolved. Like foreign policy. And taxation.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 22, 2016

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

You already need two forms of ID to register with a GP and get an appointment that way. So I guess this applies to A&E then? What a great situation

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38064664

quote:

Nigel Farage has accused Downing Street of putting its dislike of him ahead of the national interest after No 10 dismissed Donald Trump's comment that he could be a "great" ambassador.

The UKIP leader said No 10 needed to accept "the world has changed", adding he was "in a good position, with the president-elect's support, to help".

Mr Farage, who is currently UKIP interim leader, was the first British politician to meet Mr Trump after his victory in the US presidential elections and spoke in support of him at an election rally.

Writing for Breitbart website, whose former executive chairman Stephen Bannon has been appointed Mr Trump's chief strategist, he said: "At every stage I am greeted by negative comments coming out of Downing Street.

"The dislike of me, UKIP, and the referendum result is more important to them than what could be good for our country."

Mr Farage said politicians who had been "openly abusive about Trump now pretend to be his friend".

He wrote: "It is career politics at its worst and it is now getting in the way of the national interest.

"I have said since the now famous photograph with Donald Trump 10 days ago that I would do anything to help our national interest and to help cement ties with the incoming Anglophile administration.

"I have known several of the Trump team for years and I am in a good position with the president-elect's support to help. The world has changed and it's time that Downing Street did too."

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

I would put my dislike of Nigel Farage above things like food, shelter and oxygen, let alone the national interest.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Is people pretending to have won medals in combat really a thing that happens?

Just yesterday I was watching a programme on TV about a chap called Lovejoy and a man was pretending to have served in the RAF and had won the DFC.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Christ I loving hate this piece of poo poo country

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Strip out the "national interest" bollocks and he's mostly right, in fairness.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
But you don't want ambassadors that are chummy with the other side do you? You want them to contain barely concealed contempt, that they work through professionally.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

But you don't want ambassadors that are chummy with the other side do you? You want them to contain barely concealed contempt, that they work through professionally.

Yeah it'd make more sense if Farage was the US ambassador to here.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

MikeCrotch posted:

You already need two forms of ID to register with a GP and get an appointment that way. So I guess this applies to A&E then? What a great situation

As far as I can tell you already need to show ID if hospital staff suspect you might be a :airquote:foreign national:airquote:: Patients must show passport to use NHS or pay more than £2,000 in 'health tourism' crackdown

Indy, 2015 posted:

Foreign women could be charged more than £2,000 to give birth in a NHS hospital as part of a government crackdown on “health tourism”.

Tighter regulations that came into force earlier this month require foreign nationals to show passports, visas and proof of residency including rental agreements and employment contracts to receive free care.

People classed as "ordinarily resident" in the UK do not have to pay but there are fears over abuses of the system by foreign nationals flying into to use the NHS.

Announcing the changes in February, the Department of Health claimed they would help recoup up to £500 million spent on treatment for migrants, tourists and former residents every year by 2018.

Emergency treatment at A&E and GP surgeries will remain free for everyone but costs for other procedures run into the thousands.

[…]

Letters are being sent to English hospitals this week reminding them of the “legal obligation” to perform checks ensuring people are entitled to free healthcare, the Daily Mail reported.

All patients will be asked questions about living in the UK whenever starting new treatment and documentation must be provided where there is any doubt over their “ordinarily resident” status.

Measures to screen patients for eligibility include forms in outpatient and A&E wards asking them for their passport number and expiry date, nationality, GP name and NHS number.

Hospitals found to be failing to carry out the checks and bill identified patients will be punished with large charges. Commissioning bodies are now able to withhold money to make hospitals foot the bill for foreign nationals' care.

It is already against the law for hospitals to use public money for treatments provided to non-EEA patients who do not qualify for free care and now commissioners will have increased power to audit hospitals' identification and charging systems.

There doesn't seem to have been any comment from the Labour party on this policy at the time, so I'm sure it's a perfectly reasonable policy and there's no grounds to criticise it…

quote:

A think tank warned last year that the charges would put the British public at increased risk from infectious diseases, including HIV, because vulnerable migrants would be discouraged from seeking treatment.

Thousands do not seek the care they need because they fear it will affect their immigration status or expose them to NHS fees, the cross-party group Demos said.

Doctors at a charitable clinic in London revealed disturbing details of often destitute women charged thousands of pounds by the NHS for essential care during pregnancy, even before the harsher regulations came in.

In two cases, women were pursued for four-figure sums even after their babies died in hospital.

Campaigners had called for an exemption for maternity services and there is also deep disquiet among many NHS staff about the charges.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's fun to see politicians all over the globe furiously backtrack on all the poo poo they've been giving the now most powerful man in the world.

It's like one of those fights where everyone on one side thinks they've got it in the bag, so they trash talk like gently caress, only to go quiet once their main man gets dropped with one punch.

All of a sudden no one wants any trouble, fighting is silly guys lets start acting like grown ups.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
I think the media reporting for this has been a bit misleading - they're just looking at what the options are, they're not introducing mandatory passport checks in the back of an ambulance from next week. It's not entirely unrealistic that it will get adopted more widely, and I personally wouldn't support ID checks for emergency care, but at the moment they are just shooting the poo poo about possible ways to tackle a perceived problem (which TBH probably does exist but has no easy solution that won't in some way discriminate).

“We are looking at whether more trusts should go down that route, as has been done in London and elsewhere, on people having to prove their identity,” he said.
“And whether that is proportionate – whether in just some places or whether you want to apply it to the whole country.
“Those are the questions that we are looking at.”
Mr Wormald said the Government had yet to decide whether it was “proportionate” to ask every patient seeking treatment for identification.

EDIT:

The Telegraph article has some interesting/grim (and not entirely surprising) stats. (Not related to this particular issue but thought I'd paste them anyway)

State of the NHS | Poll of health service leaders
Service changes that are likely or planned in the next 12-18 months:
Closing or downgrading community hospitals 52%
Overall reduction in inpatient beds 46%
Elective services centralised to central site 44 %
Closing/downgrading full A&E 31%
Closing urgent care centre or similar 30%
Overall reduction in staff in acute services 23%
One or more hospitals stopping inpatient paediatrics 23%
One or more hospitals stopping consultant-led maternity 21%

Likely significant barriers to the success of your sustainability and transformation plans:
Lack of capital funding 74%
Lack of revenue funding 72%
Political opposition 60%
Inability to control demand 52%
GP opposition or resistance to changes 40%

Ewan fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 22, 2016

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

tooterfish posted:

It's fun to see politicians all over the globe furiously backtrack on all the poo poo they've been giving the now most powerful man in the world.

In a rare moment of good (fortunate) judgement, May managed to be diplomatic about Trump before the election.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

tooterfish posted:

It's like one of those fights where everyone on one side thinks they've got it in the bag, so they trash talk like gently caress, only to go quiet once their main man gets dropped with one punch.

All of a sudden no one wants any trouble, fighting is silly guys lets start acting like grown ups.

I have no idea what you're talking about

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/798552151907827712

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

XMNN posted:

Christ I loving hate this piece of poo poo world

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I don't feel as much personal responsibility for the world at large though , familiarity breeds contempt and all that

Turning nhs staff into border guards to keep out those filthy loving foreigners is a great idea IMHO

I'm sure it is based on detailed statistical analysis demonstrating the probable rate at which we don't recoup costs from foreign patients (because we already do charge them) and the money which could be saved and all the implications for people entitled to use it for free and the impact on public health and lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

Dress blues no but there's a lot of squaddies wandering around in camo which tapers off the further you get from Catterick.

I worked over there once and half the shop looked like a barracks.

Last time I saw that reported his name was given as "Whigmore" which I thought was very hortative.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 22, 2016

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

Dress blues no but there's a lot of squaddies wandering around in camo which tapers off the further you get from Catterick.

I worked over there once and half the shop looked like a barracks.

You understand why this would be the case in Catterick though, right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

You understand why this would be the case in Catterick though, right?

Well yes, do Americans just wear it for fun everywhere? People wandering around in uniform as a concept is just kind of normal with living not too far from there.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

XMNN posted:

I don't feel as much personal responsibility for the world at large though , familiarity breeds contempt and all that

Turning nhs staff into border guards to keep out those filthy loving foreigners is a great idea IMHO

I'm sure it is based on detailed statistical analysis demonstrating the probable rate at which we don't recoup costs from foreign patients (because we already do charge them) and the money which could be saved and all the implications for people entitled to use it for free and the impact on public health and lol
This is a big problem with their basis for doing this - they keep quoting meaningless statistics:

The committee heard that Britain has paid £4.3 million towards treatment for Britons in Poland – but received just £1.5 million for the cost of treating Poles in NHS hospitals.

Yeah great, but this has no context. Maybe they only received £1.5million of healthcare and so paid everything due? Comparing it to how much the UK paid is a complete red herring too. The only statistic that would be relevant would be something along the lines of "The UK received £1.5million for the cost of treating Poles. The total cost of health care eligible for recouping costs provided to Poles in the same period is estimated at £10million". And even then, the estimates would be wildly speculative.

Ewan fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 22, 2016

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

Well yes, do Americans just wear it for fun everywhere? People wandering around in uniform as a concept is just kind of normal with living not too far from there.

I think that's what he's saying happens yes, which is a bit different to actual troops in uniform on the biggest army base in the country.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

Problem is he's not the most powerful man in the world. He's a chump. The actual leaders are people like Pence, a man who has repressed his sexuality to the point where he wants to torture the gay out of others, and Bannon, an actual Nazi who also thinks he's Darth Vader and Satan while also claiming to follow judeo-christian philosophy.

Trump is an idiot who inherited his wealth. He's not insane. He's dumb. The actual rulers of the world are insane bigots who would be murdering people in woods if they didn't get a job in politics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

I think that's what he's saying happens yes, which is a bit different to actual troops in uniform on the biggest army base in the country.

Some of them might not be troops, Pissflaps.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

You think some might just be pretending?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think some of them might be army pilots and we never did ascertain whether they were troops.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

MikeCrotch posted:

You don't see this in the us, except for obvious holidays.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Problem is he's not the most powerful man in the world. He's a chump. The actual leaders are people like Pence, a man who has repressed his sexuality to the point where he wants to torture the gay out of others, and Bannon, an actual Nazi who also thinks he's Darth Vader and Satan while also claiming to follow judeo-christian philosophy.

Trump is an idiot who inherited his wealth. He's not insane. He's dumb. The actual rulers of the world are insane bigots who would be murdering people in woods if they didn't get a job in politics.

Lol.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Second's from mass produced steel all the way up to the 'digital revolution' isn't it?

Eh, everyone's got a different definition, because ultimately it's tens of thousands of disparate inventions that influenced each other to a greater or lesser extent. It's not like we signed a treaty when Brunel completed the GWR to say "The First Industrial Revolution is now over" only for the poo poo to hit the fan when those reactionary bastards went and invented production lines and kicked it all off again.

The real problem is it's pretty easy to point at one thing - the seed drill, the spinning jenny, Darby's forge, the first artificial dye, whatever - and say "This is where it all began" but all of them are reliant on lots of other things that themselves were part of what some people would also call the Industrial Revolution.

You can certainly point at the general area and say yeah, 1750, 1850, 1950 were the *middle* of each one but pointing to a beginning or end is impossible. For that matter are electric arc furnaces, which almost all modern metallurgy is based on, part of the first, second or third? They're a technology invented in the third, based on science from the second, to do one of the most important things of the first.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

I live near the Sandhurst Military academy and I see some of those lot wearing their stupid officer outfits in Tesco. Doubt anyone would ever thank them for their service though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I think some of them might be army pilots and we never did ascertain whether they were troops.

You can tell army pilots because they'll have much nicer boots than the average squaddie, but they won't be polished.

Also they'll tell you about it within 0.3 seconds of you meeting them. If faster-than-light communication is possible, it will be discovered by a vegan army aircrew member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

OwlFancier posted:

:suspense:

• Locked thread