Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

This is about vowing to not persecute Clinton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Lightning Knight posted:

I have never said why bother. I have said that the delusion being pushed by a lot of you in the thread that it will be easy or go swimmingly or that there will be no tension between groups that have traditionally hated each other is stupid.

We're saying "GIVE IT A CHANCE" while you're pouting about how labor abandoned the democrats because they're racist.

You're otherizing them right out the gate while we're saying there should be a conversation.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

You are remarkably dead set on ignoring American history and being self-righteous about how smart you are while doing it. It's like the very concept that the electorate actually chose conservative politicians for lovely, selfish, hateful reasons just doesn't occur to you.

Like, remember, the Democrats ran two back to back fairly progressive and left wing candidates, for their time. They got blown out of the water by a conservative rear end in a top hat, literally obliterated from orbit.

no, i'm just not pretending that the dems were blameless like you are. the dems ran from unions as republicans laid into them.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Covok posted:

This is about vowing to not persecute Clinton.

Who would've thought Trump walking it back slightly on some of his worst tin pot dictator promises would make me giggle.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Business Gorillas posted:

Hmm yeah let's give them no option while a section of the elite is more than happy to paint minorities as the cause of their problems. Hope this turns out okay!

What exactly the gently caress do you want to see happen that hasn't happened, Business Gorilla? You spent last night failing to comprehend my easily-readable posts about my family's experiences in this economy until Captain Obvious told you to learn to read and then you mysteriously disappeared. Now that the coast is clear you're back with your pithy reductionist '"-a leftist' poo poo and not much else.

What do you want? What do you think the Democrats need to do to help rural voters that doesn't rely on throwing minorities under the bus or telling them implicitly that it's fine to be a racist idiot? What is your plan? Step out of the peanut gallery and share your wonderful thoughts. We're all waiting.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Raenir Salazar posted:

Who would've thought Trump walking it back slightly on some of his worst tin pot dictator promises would make me giggle.

The fleeting moments of joy I have wrt politics lately come from the endless well of schadenfreude that are people that voted for trump legitimately shocked that they're getting swindled

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

We're saying "GIVE IT A CHANCE" while you're pouting about how labor abandoned the democrats because they're racist.

You're otherizing them right out the gate while we're saying there should be a conversation.

I think you're delusional if you think it won't happen again. We can offer platitudes all day about how we can balance racial justice with economic reform, but at the end of the day we have to face the reality that the last major push to pull black people out of poverty resulted in massive white backlash in the middle and working class and resulted in the complete destruction of national level politics for anyone left of center. It won't be pretty when white working people are on average worse off now than they were then.

quote:

no, i'm just not pretending that the dems were blameless like you are. the dems ran from unions as republicans laid into them.

I have specifically said that abandoning unions was a mistake, try again. The Dems ran from unions after losing back to back elections for fifteen years and getting completely repudiated at the national level. They won when they did. What does that tell you about the electorate?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

TheScott2K posted:

What exactly the gently caress do you want to see happen that hasn't happened, Business Gorilla? You spent last night failing to comprehend my easily-readable posts about my family's experiences in this economy until Captain Obvious told you to learn to read and then you mysteriously disappeared. Now that the coast is clear you're back with your pithy reductionist '"-a leftist' poo poo and not much else.

What do you want? What do you think the Democrats need to do to help rural voters that doesn't rely on throwing minorities under the bus or telling them implicitly that it's fine to be a racist idiot? What is your plan? Step out of the peanut gallery and share your wonderful thoughts. We're all waiting.

Offer anything substantive to improve their lives, i.e. sustainable reconstruction and an economic future and a place at the negotiating table, not just an ever-dwindling welfare check to draw out their wait to die because your candidate's campaign donors have found them superfluous.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

no, it's not sarcasm, sorry

pretending to be stupid in some kind of gimmick isn't any better than actually being stupid, sorry

lmao at you if you're going to get so mad about jokes on the internet that it actually influences your politics though

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Offer anything substantive to improve their lives, i.e. sustainable reconstruction and an economic future and negotiating power against business interests, not just an ever-dwindling welfare check to draw out their wait to die because your candidate's campaign donors have found them superfluous.

Tried that. Got blocked by Congress.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/801126093776449537

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

Tried that. Got blocked by Congress.

well then I guess just give up and resign yourself to an eternity of Trump, guy, your party's dead and it's because you've got nothing to offer the people who could vote for you.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

That's what an autocrat who wants people desperate for reassurance that he isn't what they think he is says.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

well then I guess just give up and resign yourself to an eternity of Trump, guy, your party's dead and it's because you've got nothing to offer the people who could vote for you.

Without a sea change in the electorate of most of the more conservative states and some kind of magical bullshit plan to hold Congress for longer than two years at a time, yeah, this is basically true.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

if your solution is for the democrats to somehow transcend the realities of the federal poltical system and implement sweeping reforms through sheer force of will and the righteous power of juche spirit then you really shouldn't be lecturing people about defeatism

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

'it is literally impossible to implement policy in a democracy' - the people who think it'd be good if they were calling the shots

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

You're the one that keeps on adding "white" in there. These people by and large don't care about the people working next to them, doubly so if they're getting a fair days pay.

For starters we need a new new deal and slowly get it into people's heads that a hard days work isn't necessary to survive as we move into an automated economy. For that to happen though, people need to feel listened to and that their politicians aren't actively trying to gently caress them

If "white" makes you uncomfortable, lets say "working class guy from rural area with no jobs."

"For starters we need a new new deal and slowly get it into people's heads that a hard days work isn't necessary to survive as we move into an automated economy."

What? These words don't make sense to me. You seem to be starting from a philosophy that I am unfamiliar with.

"For that to happen though, people need to feel listened to and that their politicians aren't actively trying to gently caress them"

So, when Christ returns on the clouds, then? Because "politicians" have always got a dirty reputation, even when they are pretty clean. And how do you make people "feel listened to"? That's so airy-fairy. People felt "listened to" by Trump even though he wasn't remotely listening to anything other than his own ego.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TheScott2K posted:

That's what an autocrat who wants people desperate for reassurance that he isn't what they think he is says.

Yeah, translation here is "Trump had an episode of narcissistic rage and Prebus took the fall"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the cool thing about proposing unworkable and unrealistic solutions is that you can never be proven wrong so you're never actually accountable for your arugments

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

quote:

I have specifically said that abandoning unions was a mistake, try again. The Dems ran from unions after losing back to back elections for fifteen years and getting completely repudiated at the national level. They won when they did. What does that tell you about the electorate?

not much. george h. w. bush was extremely unpopular and running for re-election, so i don't think dems winning back the presidency is a strong indicator that their anti-union message was what won the day

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

boner confessor posted:

the cool thing about proposing unworkable and unrealistic solutions is that you can never be proven wrong so you're never actually accountable for your arugments

if you have no idea what you'd do with a political office if you'd had it, why are you looking for advice on how to get one? You think it'd score you chicks at a party?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Hillary Clinton, a garbage candidate, just narrowly lost election thanks to a surge in rural voters and complacency among rust belt city voters. The thing that's happening right now is not the harbinger of a permanent, sustainable Republican majority. Rural voters who aren't willing to lift a literal finger in service of policies that actually benefit themselves aren't deserving of unlimited pandering attempts from a party they have spurned.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

boner confessor posted:

pretending to be stupid in some kind of gimmick isn't any better than actually being stupid, sorry

lmao at you if you're going to get so mad about jokes on the internet that it actually influences your politics though

nope, people in real life say it too man. i don't know why you think coastal liberals making GBS threads on flyover states and saying everyone should just leave if they don't want to be poor is online only or sarcasm

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Offer anything substantive to improve their lives, i.e. sustainable reconstruction and an economic future and a place at the negotiating table, not just an ever-dwindling welfare check to draw out their wait to die because your candidate's campaign donors have found them superfluous.

Ok here's the problem outside of a few places blessed by either an valuable, abundant natural resources or tourist destinations, rural America is unsustainable. Period. There is no future for places like Netwon, IA or Lamar, MO because they were not self sustaining stable entities in the first place; they were boom towns that survived far longer than they should have.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Where is this new crop of Trump quotes coming from? Is he finally giving a presser?

e: nvm, figured out he is at the NYT building apparently.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

emdash posted:

Where is this new crop of Trump quotes coming from? Is he finally giving a presser?

Interview with the New York Times.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/801129587581325313

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Glazier posted:

Ok here's the problem outside of a few places blessed by either an valuable, abundant natural resources or tourist destinations, rural America is unsustainable. Period. There is no future for places like Netwon, IA or Lamar, MO because they were not self sustaining stable entities in the first place; they were boom towns that survived far longer than they should have.

they're unsustainable in a pure free-market economics sense. i dunno why dems are so in love with the free market now

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Von Sloneker posted:

On not prosecuting Clinton:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/801128551734984705

said another way, "everyone is sick of hearing about her drat emails"

let us now pass the "this is fine" meme over to the Trump supporters

Even Trump is tired of hearing about her drat emails.

emdash posted:

Yeah, he's doing a press conference with the NYTs that he suddenly respects and loves.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
New vote-winning dem policy proposal for 2020: literally bulldoze rural america

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I didn't even think about the scope of the corruption that is going to take place. This is officially a Banana Republic.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
https://twitter.com/grynbaum/status/801129643550113793?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/grynbaum/status/801129777490956288?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Such an rear end in a top hat

e: https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/801131100156239872?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

America is hosed

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Condiv posted:

not much. george h. w. bush was extremely unpopular and running for re-election, so i don't think dems winning back the presidency is a strong indicator that their anti-union message was what won the day

Clinton won because the economy was in the shitter in 92. Before the economy tanked H W had extremely high popularity.

Then the dems lost bigly in 94 because of raising taxes, failing to pass healthcare, and the two major scandals.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bigly, if true.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Pressure your Electors. They can still save us.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
40 years of Democrats and Republicans and the average American is worse off so please stop pretending either party really gives a poo poo about the economy other than whatever it takes to get elected and make their donors happy

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Glazier posted:

I have great sympathy to people who want to live in rural areas and work with their hands, but those days in America are over. I get that people have attachment to "working with your hands" and "making something" but we have simply become too productive for that to be a viable career for a large portion of our population. We of course must do all we can, including a mincome if necessary, to make sure that as our economy transitions the risk is on private corporations not their workers; but you have to meet us halfway. Yes you may have to move into the city, yes you might have to live in an apartment, and yes you might have to use public transit.

...Trump's getting a second term isn't he?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

mcmagic posted:

The EC going faithless and throwing this to Hillary would be an unmitigated disaster. Best case scenario she governs as a lame duck President for four years and we get routed in 2020. Worst case, civil war. Don't bother.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Glazier posted:

we're talking about milwaukee wisconsin and youngstown ohio, not north dakota

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

At least Nixon waited until after his presidency to say this sort of poo poo to Frost. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

mcmagic posted:

If the electoral college rebels a loving civil war would happen

• Locked thread