Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

loquacius posted:

He actually seems like his guard is up an appropriate amount, and my take is that he can go on dates with her etc if he wants but keep that guard up a while longer

He is in fact getting laid already so "stringing along" sounds like maybe it doesn't quite apply :shrug:

Maybe she's trying to string him along using the bad advice of a stripper subreddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the foster girl won't react as badly to the foster dad revealing his past because it sounds like her issues are tied up in social dogma about how "icky" transwomen are. She's only 16, and what she said at the dinner just sounds like a bunch of collected popular opinions rather than a deep-seated personal stance.

Foster dad should tell her, would probably help build trust and diffuse a little of the guilt she feels at saying that stuff.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
RE: Stripper guy

Notice that they've not hung out since. She's dropped hints and wanting to hang out but as soon as he says, "I'm free on Tuesday" she'll saying something like, "Oh I have to work. Why don't you come by and hang out?" which will result in him buying more dances.

Or she's just dtf and as soon as he treats her like girlfriend material she'll draw back.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I just got dumped and its liberating to know no matter how much of a huge dork I am I was able to accept it with some dignity and not be some "if you don't love me I'll kill myself" weirdo about it.

She did a weird thing of telling me "i think I won't want to keep the relationship going much past this formal function we'd planned on attending" and I thought of Not an Ultimatum guy and said "actually, right now is good." I never got the "lets break up at such and such point in the future" drawdowns or being "on a break" to resume in the future. Eff that.

Thanks r/relationships, for providing so many contraexamples of how to deal with normal relationship poo poo.

That's pretty funny, gj.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Syncopated posted:

That's pretty funny, gj.

Wow, so she wanted to look good for a formal function and leave that axe hanging over your head?

Nice move, my man

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I just got dumped and its liberating to know no matter how much of a huge dork I am I was able to accept it with some dignity and not be some "if you don't love me I'll kill myself" weirdo about it.

She did a weird thing of telling me "i think I won't want to keep the relationship going much past this formal function we'd planned on attending" and I thought of Not an Ultimatum guy and said "actually, right now is good." I never got the "lets break up at such and such point in the future" drawdowns or being "on a break" to resume in the future. Eff that.

Thanks r/relationships, for providing so many contraexamples of how to deal with normal relationship poo poo.

What your ex wanted here was literally a George subplot on an episode of Seinfeld, and breaking up with George is always the correct decision :tipshat:

don't mind me, just continuing my official appointed position as Thread Sitcom Similarity Noticer

Bonzo posted:

RE: Stripper guy

Notice that they've not hung out since. She's dropped hints and wanting to hang out but as soon as he says, "I'm free on Tuesday" she'll saying something like, "Oh I have to work. Why don't you come by and hang out?" which will result in him buying more dances.

Or she's just dtf and as soon as he treats her like girlfriend material she'll draw back.

:agreed: If he can get some more stripper sex out of it he should try, but keep that guard alllll the way up

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The trans foster dad situation is proof life is stranger than any fiction you could dream up

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Should've gone to the event and politely corrected her whenever she introduced you as her boyfriend.

Soylent Grun
Nov 13, 2008

Gaming brought us [23NB/26NB] together, now apparently blowing us up

quote:

Hi, been directed here from another sub. Hopefully I don't miss anything.

Background: been dating for 3-4 years now, LDR, stable, have met up in the flesh a few times for several weeks at once but living several countries apart so it's been a rare treat.

We use gaming as a way to spend time together, and were doing it before even becoming a couple. My partner got me into new things usually, we had fun, chatted a lot (text & voice), spent entire nights on Skype together. Communication pretty good even though we both struggle with a bunch of health issues, mental or otherwise. We understand one another, we know when to give space, we try to communicate when stuff builds up before it shuts us down. Not perfect, I don't think anyone is, but doing our best.

But these past few months it's been rough. A family member they were really close with died a couple months ago, which was (understandably!) devastating, and the whole mourning thing got dragged on by still ongoing issues. Partner is overwhelmed and has had to drop a lot of things IRL to cope. I'm doing my best to be there and supportive, while also dealing with my own brain poo poo and turning to one of the few things I'm good at - namely, gaming - to try and get a measure of control & success somewhere in my life.

Issue: gaming is also one of the things partner has had to take a step back from. It's stressful, not always rewarding, there's a lot of assholes out there, honestly I can't blame them. They're not stopping entirely, but taking a more casual tack to it, or at least trying to. Thing is, it's been the opposite for me: I'm getting at a very competitive level, and the demands have been helping me focus/settle instead of doing poo poo like wallowing in feeling useless or wanting to jump off the nearest bridge. We've been making time for each other, still running instances together here and there, chatting on Skype, just you know, business as usual.

Well. Guess it blew up. I invited partner along to a relatively difficult thing yesterday. They accepted. As we got ready, I expressed some surprise that their level was lower than I thought, mostly out of concern to them since they've been really insecure about their performance and I didn't want to put them in a situation that'd be too demanding / where they'd feel overwhelmed. They immediately just. Shut down? Said they'd excuse themself, not drag the group down, disconnected and left.

Nothing on any other line of communication, everything was off. I was concerned, sent an apology for sounding as though I was judging. Continued, because what else can you do with a LDR? Gave them space for 24hrs, sent a new message just expressing concern and asking if they were ok then backed off.

They got back to me an hour ago. Said no, they weren't ok, they've been crying, they didn't want to drag me down, that I should keep going with being competitive and not bother with them. I'm loving baffled and also crying, given I've been repeatedly checking in, that we both seemed to understand the constraints I have and had enough time together, that I've been doing my best to split my time without neglecting either aspects because they're both important to me right now, inviting them along to stuff or just blowing off some things I should've been doing to optimize just to gently caress around with them. They say they thought they were fine too, and that one thing I said yesterday.. basically burst an abscess, I guess.

They used to play at a higher level than they do now, but stress and real life in general have been making it impossible to keep up. I think from previous experience they judge themself for that a lot, struggle to find worth in themself if they can't perform competitively. They say I hurt them a lot and I'm so, so loving sorry to hear that but I can't fix something no one told me was broken. I wonder a bit if they're resenting me for getting at a level they can't follow, but mostly I guess I'm worried they're self-sabotaging because they feel like they're not enough.

I don't know what the gently caress is going on. My partner hurts and I loving hurt and I want to fix this, and I don't know where to even start, I'm not gonna be the rear end in a top hat who insists on making them stick around if they don't want me anymore but I don't think either of us deserves this. I'm letting them have space right now and letting them have the initiative whether they want to keep talking to me or not. What the gently caress else do can I do? We were sighing sappily at each other over Skype two days ago.

teal deer: partner extremely upset with me due to??? not feeling good enough to keep up with me in game we play together, despite us having had several conversations about it where all seemed to be fine, sounds on the verge of breaking up over it, i sound calm but im freaking the gently caress out, what the hell do i do

So what game do you think it was.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I'm not even going to read this, and I'm going to say DOTA 2

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:10bux: it's DOTA2

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Dota 2, Overwatch or League.

Shot in the dark Hail Mary answer, Total Warhammer

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
don't play dota

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Soylent Grun posted:

Gaming brought us [23NB/26NB] together, now apparently blowing us up

So what game do you think it was.

lol loving hell the trump regime is going to ruin these people so hard and so quick

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
LOL if you're partner's loyalty and appreciation relies exclusively on gaming and not "That Deep D Drillin'" or "This Good-rear end Vaj"

ed: What is NB? No Boner? Because that makes sense

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nazzadan posted:

Dota 2, Overwatch or League.

Shot in the dark Hail Mary answer, Total Warhammer

Shitpost long-shot answer, Neopets

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

It's probably Gauntlet.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

ElGroucho posted:

LOL if you're partner's loyalty and appreciation relies exclusively on gaming and not "That Deep D Drillin'" or "This Good-rear end Vaj"

Non binary

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
That post might just as well be a single page with TRAINWRECK in 36 pt font.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

ElGroucho posted:

Nonbinary

They both sound. hm.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JFairfax posted:

lol loving hell the trump regime is going to ruin these people so hard and so quick

What the gently caress does this mean?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

if playing video games causes you that much stress then the next four years are going to give them a goddamn heart attack

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

WampaLord posted:

I think it was a kneejerk reaction to the nonbinary thing

e: oh well yeah you could say that about any hobby

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Thinking about it that's a lot of complications to add onto an at-base complicated situation. 1) Non-binary 2) Emotionally disturbed 3) LDR 4) Gaming based 5) Relationship.

Like, "Relationship" seems to be a hard enough obstacle to tackle for the typical person and these two seemed to think all the rest was a good idea to pile on top.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JFairfax posted:

if playing video games causes you that much stress then the next four years are going to give them a goddamn heart attack

You think people like this even know who the President is?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Why even mention gender, it has no impact on the story

Is it just an internal compulsion now?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

ElGroucho posted:

Why even mention gender, it has no impact on the story

Is it just an internal compulsion now?

It's a rule on the subreddit. If you don't identify the genders and age, the post will be removed.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
It's part of the formatting rules of the subreddit so they're compelled to in order to post.

e:f,b

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

If Sally was "locked inside a house" I'm assuming this guy is sleeping with someone who is not quite right and that's why the family is so mad at him.

That part makes 0 sense to me.
Back a bit. Most UK locks need a key to get out if the door is already locked. If she doesn't have a key she'd have to break a window to get out.

There's been times I misplaced my keys and was basically locked in my own house until I found them (well except for the back door I always keep a key for that stored away). It has taught me to be much more careful where I leave my keys at the end of the day.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

If "19 f" and "26 m" of 5 years is irrelevant data to you then you're mad

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

It also gives us the fun game of spoilering the ages so we can read the story first and discover how cripplingly underdeveloped these people are for their age.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The ages are loving essential to that subreddit, otherwise every post would be young girl/older guy posts where the age gap doesn't come out until halfway down the comments.

As soon as you see 19/f and 36/m, you know the problem.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

The ages are loving essential to that subreddit, otherwise every post would be young girl/older guy posts where the age gap doesn't come out until halfway down the comments.

As soon as you see 19/f and 36/m, you know the problem.

Nazzadan posted:

It also gives us the fun game of spoilering the ages so we can read the story first and discover how cripplingly underdeveloped these people are for their age.

This makes sense, thanks

Although I always assume anybody who plays Dota 2 is asexual anyway

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Tbh if you have to put something other than m or f you already probs know there's going to be some other issue, just comes with that territory.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

This makes sense, thanks

Although I always assume anybody who plays Dota 2 is asexual anyway

Roses are red, violets are blue, my dick is so hard for loving Dotes 2

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Oh my god I love r/childfree. it is so insane. Pure entertainment

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Oh my god I love r/childfree. it is so insane. It's awesome how salt of the earth they are about kids, pure entertainment

pls post some of your faves

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Tbh if you have to put something other than m or f you already probs know there's going to be some other issue, just comes with that territory.

No, you just don't hear about the boring ones.

quote:

my (23m) girlfriend (21f) of seven years thinks it's "no big deal" that she accepted $100 from her boss to show him her breasts and butt. I'm disgusted that she did this and think she was exploited.

I've been with Emily since high school and for the most part we get along great. I can't imagine my life without her.

She started working at a very well known coffee place (wont say the name for obvious reasons) and the manager (David) is a guy in his early 40s who, for the lack of Better way of describing it, is just creepy. I'm a little shocked he hasn't been fired for his general mannerisms around female customers and employees. When Emily first started coming home with stories about him asking her to bend over to pick stuff up, I begged her to either quit or report him to the district manager. She always said I was overreacting and that she could handle herself. I tried my best to mind my own business.

Well last night she had a new $100 bill in her wallet. I was kind of impressed because usually she will spend cash immediately so I asked her where she got it. She kind of played coy and said "i can't tell you or you'll be mad." Which of course instead of baking me off it made me want to know. After about five minutes of this she finally told me that David had waived it in front of her and said "it's yours if you pull up your bra and pull down your panties for me to look for 2 minutes" well obviously she took it. She says he didn't take pictures or anything...but with a creep like him...how can she be sure?

Among all my other concerns is now David knows she has a "price," though she promises that he said this was a one time only thing but again he is a total creep so I'm sure this only opened the door to worse offers down the road.

What the hell do I do? Insist she report him or quit? Say that I'm not willing to share her body for $100? I mean braking up is an option but we have so much history togheter I can't even imagine life with out her. Any Advice would be greatly appreciated.

tl;dr; my long term girlfriend accepted $100 from her very creepy manager to shoe him her breasts and butt. I have NO idea how to react because it's just so gross all the way around

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Skratte posted:

No, you just don't hear about the boring ones.

I agree with OP, that is pretty creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Charles Get-Out posted:

pls post some of your faves

All you need to do is go filter by the "rant" flair, my friend.

quote:

I got to accept my dream job because I don't have any baybez!
Long story short, I really enjoy emergency medicine and a full time job at my hospital's emergency department opened up. I went for it to get out of the hellhole that I've been working in the past 4 years. When the job was offered to me I was able to accept without a second thought as to how working 12 hour shifts, days, nights, holidays, etc would affect day care or school schedules. BOOM!
Some of my coworkers with more seniority are still going to be stuck in that crap job we all hate because they are slaves to their kids schedules. I feel so free not being like that!

quote:

Started a fight in the grocery line

First, I'm Buddhist so I'm very careful in person about what I say; Reddit is my outlet usually. Right Speech and all that. This just came out as a knee jerk reaction to a little poo poo.
I'm standing in line at the grocery store. I'm next up. The mother and son behind me are having a conversation about school lunch for the next day. The mom says she's going to pack meatloaf and the kid is just going to have to deal with it.
The kid responded that he would just throw it in the trash instead of eating it. Everyone in line and the cashier started laughing at what the little boy said to his mom. I said, "Wow, that's birth control." to myself meaning the kid made my ovaries shrivel and he reminded me to take birth control so I didn't end up with a hell spawn like him.
Que angry mom! She can't take her kid to task but she can sure as gently caress get in my face and go, "What do you mean by that?! What do you mean?! So that's so rude and horrible to tell another parent (she automatically assumed I breeded because I have tits)" It went on until the cashier finally finished ringing me up. He was laughing the entire time.
So that was my night last night.

"I was an rear end in a top hat in public and got called on it and now I'm pretending I didn't stammer like an idiot when I did"

quote:

[Rant] people having kids too young...

First of all, i'm new to this reddit, so hello everyone. I've been lurking for a while and decided to post this since i saw something on my fb this morning that really annoyed me.
Apparently this one girl I was a camp counselor with during high school had a baby. Normally, this would just be one of those annoying "look at meh baybeee" posts that popup when my fb friends like other peoples' posts (and i instantly block the stranger), but this one made me annoyed for a different reason. See, I'm only 20, and this girl is only 19. A year younger than me. And she's not the typical dumbass teen mom whose on meth and is only having kids for the welfare money. She's in university and doing very well in school (or at least right now) and she's a decently smart person. So to me, it makes no sense why she had a kid so young! And in her older posts she mentioned that shes working close to full time and going to school full time, so why the hell is she having a child when she's already so busy?! I work two jobs and go to school part time, and barely have time for a hamster or guinea pig, let alone a dog.
And of course all of the comments are like "congratulations!" "He's so cute congrats!" etc and i'm sitting here thinking "Who here is going to point out the obvious fact that shes not finacially stable enough and doesn't have a lot of time for a child!" I've never understood why people say that when they should be pointing out how big of a responsibility kids are when the parents are young and not financially stable enough! I didn't leave a comment because I didn't want to look like a dick, but I really wanted to.
Anyways, i know it's none of my business, but I still feel concerned about what's going to happen to her. She really wanted to become a teacher and was doing so well in school, and I would hate for that to be taken away from her because she has a kid now. Like that's just the shittiest thing (and the main reason i never want kids) and it would really suck to see that happen to her.
Tl;dr
Girl i used to know is probably gonna get her hopes and dreams hosed up by having a baby at 19

How dare she!Also, the comments in these threads are sometimes even better than the OP.

Editing this gem in:

quote:

[rant] I'm going to get sick again
Walked into work today on the tail end of a cold, and one of my coworkers brought her younger brother (I think he's like, 8 or 9) in. He's sitting in the corner looking miserable, so I asked my coworker what's wrong with him. "Oh, he's got strep, and my parents didn't want him around the younger cousins while he was sick"
SO YOU BRING HIM INTO A MAIL CENTER ON A COLLEGE CAMPUS?! I have to take a bus to see my grandparents 3 hours away Thursday morning. I can't go if I have strep. I saw them last Friday and I couldn't go near them with a regular cold!

People are telling them to wear a surgical masks and gloves into work when the kid is there as if you aren't potentially being exposed to strep every time you are in a public place.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 22, 2016