Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Neil Armbong posted:

It may be misguided, but maybe he thinks there's something to sticking to his word of waiting until the end of the season to make a decision, aka fire Charlie. And by not breaking that word, in some sense standing up to other boosters.

A man can dream.

That's a good point. He made a mistake by committing to the end of season review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
they should just get it over with but I don't see why beating TCU would obligate them to keep him

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Just give the process time; Tom Herman asked for the moon and by God the University of Texas will do it...it's just gonna take some time.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

MourningView posted:

they should just get it over with but I don't see why beating TCU would obligate them to keep him

Maybe they aren't so sure they can get Herman? I have no idea why they are being so
cautious otherwise.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

DuckHuntDog posted:

Maybe they aren't so sure they can get Herman? I have no idea why they are being so
cautious otherwise.

UH AD is vehement that money will not be a factor in losing Herman. I don't think they can match Texas in pocket depth, but maybe a booster is stepping up to try.

Edit: clarity

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 22, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah it sounds like UH is going to do their damndest to retain him.

FB Scoops posted:

If Tom Herman leaves Houston, it won’t be over money.

That’s what U of H board chairman Tillman Fertitta said Monday night. And with a net worth approaching $3 billion, he can personally back that statement up.

Fertitta said he wouldn’t fault Herman for leaving for a better place to chase a national championship. But he guaranteed money wouldn’t be an issue.

“When the season’s over we’ll sit down with Tom Herman and make adjustments to his contract to pay him what he’s worth,” Fertitta told the Fox affiliate in Houston. “We’ll make other adjustments and other wants and needs that are important to him, and we’ll do whatever it takes to keep Tom Herman as the football coach at the University of Houston, but if Tom Herman decides he wants to leave, head football coaches today of Tom’s caliber don’t usually leave because of money. They leave because they think they have a better chance of competing for national championships.

“You got to understand, our athletics director (Hunter Yurachek) and Tom’s agent, they talk all through the year,” Fertitta said. “We’ve made it real clear to Tom Herman and his agent that we don’t want to lose you over financial items. We can’t promise you certain things, but we’re going to do whatever it takes to keep you. We’re not going to let you leave over financial matters.”

Herman’s contract pays him $3 million this year — by far the highest salary of any Group of 5 coach and ahead of the likes of Will Muschamp, Dana Holgorsen and Mike Leach, according to USA Today.

Houston has done an exceptionally good job — from the board, to the president, to the athletics department — at providing Herman everything he needs to win, and because of that Fertitta believes the Cougars have a fighting chance to keep the wolves at bay.

“I absolutely do not think it’s a forgone conclusion that we’re going to lose our coach,” Fertitta said. “Tom Herman loves the University of Houston. He’s happy to be coaching at the University of Houston, and I think there’s only a few places Tom Herman would even consider.”

Herman, 22-3 in two seasons, will close his second regular season as the Cougars’ coach at Memphis on Friday (noon ET, ABC).

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Sounds like Baylor is heavily targeting Chad Morris.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Neil Armbong posted:

UH AD is vehement that money will not be a factor in losing Herman. I don't think they can match Texas in pocket depth, but maybe a booster is stepping up to try.

Edit: clarity

That'd be Tilman Fertitta. He's not (publicly) Phil Knight rich but he's got enough that I don't doubt the "not gonna lose him to money" claim if he really cares to. If nothing else he can force Texas to overpay and that's a moral victory I can live with.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Sounds like Baylor is heavily targeting Chad Morris.

This is probably really smart from a scheme standpoint since Baylor's offensive personnel is arranged well for a smashmouth spread right now, since Morris is somewhere between Malzahn and Briles in how he designs his offense. Lots of 11 personnel with triple option elements, frequent bombs to keep the other guy honest. Would also be the second time in his life Morris has replaced Briles at a school. Lets Baylor keep the gravy train going with Texas high school coaches too which has been absolutely critical for them.

On the other hand, gently caress baylor.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol, sorry dawgs

quote:

Georgia: Former Notre Dame defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder has joined Kirby Smart’s staff in a consulting role, according to DawgNation. VanGorder was let go at Notre Dame back in late September.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
"Consultant" just means extra recruiter so that seems fine. Same reason Saban has dudes like Mike Locksley stashed away on the payroll.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 22, 2016

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

LLCoolJD posted:

The Texas AD has missed his window to fire Strong with righteous indignation. Now they're much more shackled to the result of Friday's game. Watch Texas beat a mediocre TCU and get stuck with another 7-5 type season next year.

It's like a marriage that's on the rocks, but the wife promises not to file for divorce until their kid leaves for college in a few months' time. Those months are up and down, but overall it's not looking good. Then, a week before the kid moves into the dorms, the husband fucks up really, really bad. Wife's sister calls and tells her she needs to dump him pronto, and the wife says that's her plan when the time comes. The writing is on the wall, but the wife tells the husband they've got enough going on and the big discussion about their future can wait a few more days. Right now they should just focus on getting little Laykynn moved out and registered for classes. That's all this is. They're gonna get a divorce.

He's not gonna do such a good job at moving the kid's stuff that she magically forgets about what happened a week before. You can only carry a beanbag chair so well.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 22, 2016

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Those extra coaches can't recruit off campus, I think they're more for coaching.

As many mistakes as Strong made, I think the team is really young and talented and anyone is going to win a lot next year. And he did a lot of hard work needed to drag the program kicking and screaming into the modern era after Mack ran it like a country club.

He's legitimately a great defensive coach as his track record indicates, although I think that might not be a great fit with Big XII offenses. Clearly some of the Louisville success though was luck into a star QB.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Kim Jong Il posted:

He's legitimately a great defensive coach as his track record indicates

Actually he is poo poo as a defensive coach as Texas records show

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

DJExile posted:

lol, sorry dawgs

So many people wanted him to be DC again in the late 2000s. Guess it just happened ten years later.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

Strong wouldn't be the first good defensive coordinator to do a poor job as a head coach. It's a very different job. I think he was flattered by a stellar QB and lesser competition at Louisville (I include the Muschamp-coached Gators in that pile). Going to Texas was the smart move. Despite poor performance, Strong has raked in an enormous pile of money, and will have no problem finding work after leaving Texas. I don't feel the least bit sorry for him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

texas's top boosters are meeting right now to figure out the coaching situation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIxmrvbMeKc

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

texas's top boosters are meeting right now to figure out the coaching situation:

I love this video so much :allears:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DJExile posted:

I love this video so much :allears:

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
That ain't your goddamned job, fat boy

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

Tucker's my favorite. I'm pretty sure it's Don Knotts

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 23, 2016

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
how loving cool is it that our football field is literally named after that actual guy irl

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Thermos H Christ posted:

how loving cool is it that our football field is literally named after that actual guy irl

That dude isn't Joe Jamail, it's whatever schmuck he is deposing.

"MY NAME'S TUCKER AND I REPRESENT AIRSHIRE(?)"

It's legit one of my dreams to meet Tucker in real life. I bet he owns and has a huge oil painting of Vince Young beating USC.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Sab0921 posted:

That dude isn't Joe Jamail, it's whatever schmuck he is deposing.

"MY NAME'S TUCKER AND I REPRESENT AIRSHIRE(?)"

It's legit one of my dreams to meet Tucker in real life. I bet he owns and has a huge oil painting of Vince Young beating USC.

Yea, joe is the guy calling the other lawyer boy and fat boy repeatedly

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I want to be clear that I don't think Strong should be retained. It's time for him to leave, and he's not a good fit with Texas, for whatever reason, which likely includes him not knowing how to coach this style of program and the onus of that is on him. I was more rolling my eyes at Scionix acting like Strong was never good and shouldn't be complimented whatsoever.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

big juicy nectarine posted:

I want to be clear that I don't think Strong should be retained. It's time for him to leave, and he's not a good fit with Texas, for whatever reason, which likely includes him not knowing how to coach this style of program and the onus of that is on him. I was more rolling my eyes at Scionix acting like Strong was never good and shouldn't be complimented whatsoever.

Texas has been one of the worst major programs in the country over Strong's tenure. They are 16-20 with a loss to Kansas and a shutout loss to Iowa State. There were numerous blow outs (Texas gave up 31 points in a quarter to TCU) and no signs of marked improvements. The same issues (not being able to play on the road, poor discipline, poor game management) have plagued Texas throughout Strong's tenure.

He is a bad coach and I don't have an issue saying it. I think he caught fire in a bottle with Bridgewater at Louisville which is what led to his success as a head coach.

Basically, Charlie Strong is Will Muschamp.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

big juicy nectarine posted:

weird it's almost like he was never approaching good at his tenure at texas including such monumentous failures as losing to loving kansas and retaining shawn watson for two goddamn years

Sab0921 posted:

Texas has been one of the worst major programs in the country over Strong's tenure. They are 16-20 with a loss to Kansas and a shutout loss to Iowa State. There were numerous blow outs (Texas gave up 31 points in a quarter to TCU) and no signs of marked improvements. The same issues (not being able to play on the road, poor discipline, poor game management) have plagued Texas throughout Strong's tenure.

He is a bad coach and I don't have an issue saying it. I think he caught fire in a bottle with Bridgewater at Louisville which is what led to his success as a head coach.

Will Muschamp fielded a good defense at florida and won 11 games at one point. In all likelihood he is going to have more wins at South Carolina year one than Charlie Strong will year 3 at Texas. And Will Muschamp sucks.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

maybe college football has just passed the state of texas by

think about it when's the last time a team from texas accomplished anything

clearly, high school football in texas has mutated and morphed into such an unwieldy beast that the supposedly coveted athletes produced by it are completely unprepared for the college game

Alaois fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 23, 2016

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

So was Manny Diaz and he's cool and good.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Dilber posted:

So was Manny Diaz and he's cool and good.

Diaz is fine so long as someone else is teach the players fundamentals.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

He's actually done an amazing job coaching up our freshman lbs. He's even turned some real poo poo upperclassmen into serviceable players.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Dilber posted:

He's actually done an amazing job coaching up our freshman lbs. He's even turned some real poo poo upperclassmen into serviceable players.

your guys already knew how to not tackle so he had to try something different

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

Strong turned a bunch of nobodies at Louisville into NFL players. Clearly though the Big XII is stylistically very different than other conferences on offense.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Kim Jong Il posted:

Strong turned a bunch of nobodies at Louisville into NFL players. Clearly though the Big XII is stylistically very different than other conferences on offense.

Venables was smart to leave that conference and go to Clemson.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

DrunkPanda posted:

Well, I guess "best" is kind of a subjective ranking. But my point is we spent $180 million to upgrade our facilities last year. We're not going to do that and then say "oh, we don't want to spend an extra million to keep our head coach. we don't mind going back to being lovely at football"

I think the Colorado administration would be secretly really happy if someone like Oregon came along and gave MacIntyre a big money contract. Until this year lovely at football describes MacIntyre's time at CU and I'm not sure you really want to give him a big money extension when they have a pretty senior laden team this year and their schedule has been kind of lovely.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Have we talked about how Jimbo Fisher got extended an offer from LSU? lol

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Kim Jong Il posted:

Yeah I think people don't really comprehend how hard it is to face these offenses week in and week out. It's one thing to face a Big 12 offense to start the season or in a bowl game when you have weeks to prepare and a rested defense. You can stop or even shut down an offense in those circumstances. But when you're playing your 4th straight game where there were 80+ defensive snaps and your guys are hurt/worn out, good luck.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I don't think people understand how hard it is to be a coach in the rough and gritty 2 yards and a cloud of punt big ten conference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

vyst posted:

Have we talked about how Jimbo Fisher got extended an offer from LSU? lol

Part of the rescheduling deal with Florida I bet.

• Locked thread