Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

How well does eGPU work? I'm in the market for a new laptop up to around $1500 and I don't really want a huge clunker like my old 15" Sager. I also just built a new gaming desktop in August, so I will do most of my gaming on there. I do travel out of the country about twice a year for a month, so having the ability to game when I do so would be nice, which is why I was interested in something eGPU capable. (This is all assuming I can just rip out the Gtx 1070 from my desktop each time I travel and put it in something like the Razer Blade Core)

I was mostly interested in the Razer Blade Stealth, but have heard nothing but bad things about their customer support and warranty. The other one I was considering is the Dell xps 13,which I've seen some people use successfully with the razer blade core. I'm just upset at the fact that you can only get 16gb ram on it with the more expensive monitor option, so it'd be about $1700.

Are there any other eGPU compatible laptops I should be considering or should I not be getting one at all and going for a dedicated card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

External gpu will never become a mainstream thing. I wouldn't touch it.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Taking your desktop apart to install in an eGPU is just crazy talk.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

External gpu will never become a mainstream thing. I wouldn't touch it.

Why not?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Bone posted:

What do you guys think of this laptop? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234412&ignorebbr=1

I know it's a ~gaming laptop~ but I already have a PC for gaming and this just seems like a solid laptop at a good price. Am I wrong?

Not awful for the price but it's a poor graphics card that's a fraction as powerful as a desktop grade. It's almost entirely insufficient at running AAA games at 1080p.

On the other hand, if you abandon the thought of triple A games it'll run things like Rogue Legacy, Tyranny, Path of Exile, Civilization. stuff like that it will handle, usually quite nicely. Indie games ought to be fine, older games will work, but I wouldn't expect anything new and graphically intensive to run on it.

It's actually a decently positioned card, in all honestly. Great for non-demanding games, probably can't handle more demanding ones. The more expensive 960m shows up in shittier or more expensive laptops, and while it can handle, albeit barely, AAA titles, it's generally an unpleasant experience. So you're not getting much for the additional dollars.

For a AAA level of performance you'd have to spend significantly more, in the ~$1300 range and up. In a month that price point ought to come down with the release of the 1050/1050ti in laptops, but even then I wouldn't expect it to come down to the $700 range.

So Tl;Dr:

Not a bad buy by any means. But be aware of the level of performance you're getting, and restrain your expectations accordingly.

As for eGPUs, they're gimmicky and expensive. With full fledged desktop chips now showing up in laptops, it doesn't make any sense to buy a razer core and a GPU when for the cost you can get something decent that has it integrated. I believe ASUS has a laptop at $1700 with a 1070 that's actually quite decent.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 22, 2016

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bone posted:

What do you guys think of this laptop? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234412&ignorebbr=1

I know it's a ~gaming laptop~ but I already have a PC for gaming and this just seems like a solid laptop at a good price. Am I wrong?

It's on fire sale because they're trying to burn down stock on 9 series mobile GPUs as Pascal 10 series GPUs are going to wreck everything for crazy cheap when they're released in less than 60 days.

It's not a very good value when you look at how much more laptop you'll be able to buy in about two months.

If you're willing to ignore the screaming performance laptops coming out with the 1050/1060 just around the corner, then yes this is an ok laptop.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Hadlock posted:

It's on fire sale because they're trying to burn down stock on 9 series mobile GPUs as Pascal 10 series GPUs are going to wreck everything for crazy cheap when they're released in less than 60 days.

It's not a very good value when you look at how much more laptop you'll be able to buy in about two months.

If you're willing to ignore the screaming performance laptops coming out with the 1050/1060 just around the corner, then yes this is an ok laptop.

I'm not sure they'll find anything for $670 with anything Pascal.

On the other hand I took a closer look and an inch and a half thickness on a 15 inch laptop is crazy gross. I take my previous recommendation back, look for a refurbished Y50 if you must. Thinner, better, sleeker, and a nicer GPU.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

For the same price as a laptop with a respectable quad-core processor and TB3, the dock and the GPU, you could get a gaming desktop and a cheaper, lighter laptop if your requirements are just "want to play games and want to have a laptop". If you want to play games on the go as you could with a gaming laptop, the dock's not going to help you that much so the only compelling use cases I can see are "already have a really good laptop with TB3, but integrated graphics", or "want to play games on a Mac, but integrated graphics aren't good enough."

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 22, 2016

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The Razer Blade is generally known to throttle, get very hot (there's a video out there of it running at 95c on Overwatch), and has poor thermal management. You may see temps in the high eighties to low nineties at normal gaming loads, and if you do synthetic loads, you'll thermal throttle your machine.

Not quite, speaking as a 1080p Blade owner my laptop has never hit the 95C that it did in that one video and it definitely won't ever in Overwatch. I haven't even gone above 82C with Throttlestop off and an overclock via Afterburner on Battlefield 1 on maxed out settings.

While the temps won't get that high so the computer still remains cool to the touch on most of the keyboard area (don't touch around the power button though) it definitely doesn't perform at the level of other GTX 1060 equipped laptops. So the laptop won't burn itself to the ground even if you try it to, but you won't get the most out of the 1060 chip, though, at 1080p it's going to haul rear end for most high-end games.

Though that's the price you pay for such a slick form-factor and it really is a drat well-built machine.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Eletriarnation posted:

For the same price as a laptop with a respectable quad-core processor and TB3, the dock and the GPU, you could get a gaming desktop and a cheaper, lighter laptop if your requirements are just "want to play games and want to have a laptop". If you want to play games on the go as you could with a gaming laptop, the dock's not going to help you that much so the only compelling use cases I can see are "already have a really good laptop with TB3, but integrated graphics", or "want to play games on a Mac, but integrated graphics aren't good enough."

I'm responding to the first statement, where Mu Zeta said it would never be a mainstream thing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's too expensive and finicky. By the time it becomes affordable then the integrated intel GPUs will be good enough for 99% of people that want to play a game of Overwatch or Civilization.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

It's too expensive and finicky. By the time it becomes affordable then the integrated intel GPUs will be good enough for 99% of people that want to play a game of Overwatch or Civilization.

I do wonder about that. I am not thinking the external enclosure so much as a "dock" lump with a more competent mobile GPU in it. With cooling and power use under a lot less constraint one could likely make it pretty drat cheap, and USB-C/Thunderbolt docks seem likely to become a very legitimate category the way ports are going.

Seems to be far out yet, in that nothing of that nature has been rumored yet though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't see external docks with GPUs becoming a thing because companies don't want to sell upgradable products. They want you to buy a brand new laptop with the latest graphics card and charge a lot of money for it.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Trying to figure out when/what to buy.

Wants:
-Laptop that can do light gaming. The only thing that I currently play is Hex (lightweight) and the last real game that I played was the latest Bioshock. Would be nice to have a good/latest video card in case there's another new game in the next year or so that I might want to play. I have been holding out for Pascal, but I'm not sure that I need it (or what I need really).

-Support for some somewhat intensive processing. This is the main thing that I am interested in (besides getting a new computer before my current one actually dies). Definitely enough RAM/good-enough chipset/etc to support running a VM with Linux and doing some processing (for example Python, machine learning stuff, maybe Octave/Matlab, etc) while multi-tasking.

-Probably 15" screen. Support for the external monitor that I have.

-Price point around $1000; could go over but would prefer under.

-Good build quality. Would prefer it to last a few years.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Re: eGPU

The Powercolor Devil Box has also been making some positive rounds, although it doesn't have the same hype the Core does.

The use case where an eGPU solution is the superior option to a dGPU (especially with full Pascal units in laptops) is pretty much razor thin, but the one I find myself in.

You pretty much have to find yourself traveling very frequently in situations where you need ultrabook battery life, don't want to have to worry about where files are, and are very "location based" in the things you do with your computer.

I dig that I can bring my laptop wherever, but I genuinely need more battery life 99% of the time and not really the 970M in it. I'm barely getting a full episode of Westworld at high brightness at this point when it's unplugged. I really only game at my desk where it's more of less docked into a cooling pad, wired mouse, monitor.

At the same time, I need to do some pretty basic 3D modeling, illustration, and photo editing and really love that it's all in my laptop.

Granted, eGPU wasn't a thing when I got my laptop, but the Core fits into my backpack for when I need to go to China for a month at a time, and I won't have to pull out my giant power cable every time I want to watch a movie on the couch.

It's still great, but I'm tempted to pick up a black Friday XPS 13 and see how it works in my brother's Core/480 combo.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Honestly I'd actually recommend two laptops at that point. A cheap chrome book last Gen ultrabook is easier to transport than an eGPU dock and probably cheaper to boot. An older model Dell e74x0 series will last 6 hours on batter. A Dell 6430u will last 7, and costs around $300. I honestly intend to use my gaming laptop primarily for gaming or when I'm near an outlet. For everything else, my e7470 is a better bet.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

Honestly I'd actually recommend two laptops at that point. A cheap chrome book last Gen ultrabook is easier to transport than an eGPU dock and probably cheaper to boot. An older model Dell e74x0 series will last 6 hours on batter. A Dell 6430u will last 7, and costs around $300. I honestly intend to use my gaming laptop primarily for gaming or when I'm near an outlet. For everything else, my e7470 is a better bet.

I mean, that kind of eGPU solution is sort of missing the point in my eyes, a huge enclosure fitting desktop cards is excessive, I could go for the $250 box which contains a 90W laptop grade GPU (and a good selection of ports etc.) That is already powerful enough that putting it in the laptop makes the actual portability go out the window, it uses too much power to be sustainable on battery. I really do think that has the potential of being a good niche, as long as the efforts to make software and drivers come around to the hot-plugging working well etc. Certainly something a healthy premium could be charged for.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Laptops can switch between integrated and discrete on the fly. Or you can just tell it to never turn on. Having a good graphics card in the laptop doesn't have to mean battery life suffers.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Laptops can switch between integrated and discrete on the fly. Or you can just tell it to never turn on. Having a good graphics card in the laptop doesn't have to mean battery life suffers.

The Pascal Gsync ones don't have this capability.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

s.i.r.e. posted:

Not quite, speaking as a 1080p Blade owner my laptop has never hit the 95C that it did in that one video and it definitely won't ever in Overwatch. I haven't even gone above 82C with Throttlestop off and an overclock via Afterburner on Battlefield 1 on maxed out settings.

While the temps won't get that high so the computer still remains cool to the touch on most of the keyboard area (don't touch around the power button though) it definitely doesn't perform at the level of other GTX 1060 equipped laptops. So the laptop won't burn itself to the ground even if you try it to, but you won't get the most out of the 1060 chip, though, at 1080p it's going to haul rear end for most high-end games.

Though that's the price you pay for such a slick form-factor and it really is a drat well-built machine.

Have you tried undervolting the gpu or cpu, and if so have you noticed significant temperature and noise improvements?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Mu Zeta posted:

Presumably a laptop case of size X that does not have a graphics card could instead fit more battery than one that does? Not sure if this happens in practice.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Battery space is affected more by the (needless) presence of a 2.5'' HDD bay.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

s.i.r.e. posted:

Do you get a consistent 60fps out of most games? If someone gets 100% out of a 1060 and 70fps and someone else gets 95% out of a 1060 and 60fps, it doesn't matter if they're both using a 60Hz monitor.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The Iron Rose posted:

I get where you're coming from, but the Core at least is not that big (4.13 x 13.38 x 8.6" - about 2 laptops on its own, and is about a third of my backpack so only moving it 3x a year isn't problematic). The Powercolor Devil Box is larger by about 30% in every dimension, which I agree is crazy. I was running Chromebook + Desktop for a few years which was fine then, but besides something that would only be used around the house a Chromebook doesn't really fit my use case anymore.

The e7470 suggestion is definitely closer to home, but doesn't fix my file organization quandary. A $150 NAS that I intend on picking up anyway for backups, to your credit, will fix that, but I would rather have my files locally than available over network because I don't always need the internet to do design work. I get a lot of utility reducing my computing device population, too, which is just about any reason why someone would buy a gaming laptop in the first place.

I don't disagree that it's an expensive solution, but for someone (read: me) willing to spend $1,600 on a gaming laptop that gets *60 desktop performance, it's worth a $200 price delta to get five times the battery life, decreased weight (except for 3x a year, but I'm packing a gazillion things anyway), and being able to upgrade it later on anyway. Like I said, I get that it's not for everyone but it definitely satisfies my use case.

Mu Zeta posted:

I've dicked around with this, but I literally can't get more than 2.5 hours out of my MSI GS60 2QE. Even with my (egregiously tabbed up) browser windows open, MightyText, second monitor, and Thunderbird, I'm looking at 108 minutes of battery life. With battery saver on, bringing my screen brightness down to 1% that brings me to 2 hours. No music playing or anything. I'm thinking it's an MSI thing like was mentioned many pages back in the thread.

TL;DR I like having a gaming laptop, but it does fall short in a few areas that I was willing to make sacrifices in at the time. In another year or two when I plan on replacing my laptop, an eGPU seems like it fills the gaps in my enjoyment of having it and the price difference is worth it to me.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Seamonster posted:

Battery space is affected more by the (needless) presence of a 2.5'' HDD bay.

Sure, but the needless 2.5" HDD bay isn't affected by i/dGPU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

So this is an obscenely good price. $200 less than I've seen any 1060 laptop for.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834233184

GIGABYTE 15.6" P55Wv6-NE2 with a 6gb GTX 1060 for $1,149 USD.

If you want a 1070 laptop and can stomach a 17 inch laptop, you can get the same model with a 1070 for $1,379. That's a loving insane price, and $300 lower than anything I've seen.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Slack Lagoon posted:

What is the recommended Chromebook I can use for meeting notes and maybe occasional netflixing?

Sub 200 would be great

I'm happy with my Acer Chromebook 14. Great build quality, and Acer's selling recertified ones for $199: http://acerrecertified.com/NX.GC2AA.005

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

VorpalFish posted:

Have you tried undervolting the gpu or cpu, and if so have you noticed significant temperature and noise improvements?

I've never done so before so I don't know how but I'm willing to test it if I can figure out how. Any guides on doing so?

Ynglaur posted:

Do you get a consistent 60fps out of most games? If someone gets 100% out of a 1060 and 70fps and someone else gets 95% out of a 1060 and 60fps, it doesn't matter if they're both using a 60Hz monitor.

Yup, the only time I've struggled to maintain 60 frames was Rise of the Tomb Raider with maxed out settings (not too frequent) and Black Ops 3 but only during split-screen.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
My brother wants a 1060 laptop for traveling, with portability and battery life as the main priorities,l.

He wants a 14" or 15" laptop, with a preference for 14" and a more subdued/business appropriate aesthetic.

I had a few ideas, based on following this thread, but thought I'd run it by y'all as well.

To me it seems like the best option in terms of portability/battery life out now is probably the Razer Blade 2016.

I also suggested he look at the MSI GS43/63, but they seem to have less battery life and he was really turned off by the way they looked.

The Aorus x3 also seemed like it might be decent, but I can't really tell what recommends it over the Blade (definitely want to hear about your Aorus experiences when you get it as well, Iron Rose).

My main suggestions ended up boiling down to:

Wait for 1050 laptops (esp the XPS 15 refresh)
Wait to see what the Gigabyte Aero 14 refresh is like
If neither pans out, get a Razer Blade

The kicker is that he pretty much needs it before mid February, so time is a bit of a factor.

Is there anything that I'm missing from the current crop/upcoming computers?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

foutre posted:

My brother wants a 1060 laptop for traveling, with portability and battery life as the main priorities,l.

He wants a 14" or 15" laptop, with a preference for 14" and a more subdued/business appropriate aesthetic.

I had a few ideas, based on following this thread, but thought I'd run it by y'all as well.

To me it seems like the best option in terms of portability/battery life out now is probably the Razer Blade 2016.

I also suggested he look at the MSI GS43/63, but they seem to have less battery life and he was really turned off by the way they looked.

The Aorus x3 also seemed like it might be decent, but I can't really tell what recommends it over the Blade (definitely want to hear about your Aorus experiences when you get it as well, Iron Rose).

The kicker is that he pretty much needs it before mid February, so time is a bit of a factor.

well you have plenty of time if mid-February is your deadline.

Wrt the Aorus I'll give my impressions as soon as I can, but in the interim I'd take a looksee at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPqERp267ME

Now keep in mind that battery life is going to be significantly better on the x3 due to optimus (though that means no GSYNC) and the fact that the 1060 has a naturally lower TDP. So battery life should be improved. I believe the previous generation x3 got around 5 hours of battery life on WiFi surfing the web, 8 hours sitting idle.

I would expect something around that range.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

s.i.r.e. posted:

I've never done so before so I don't know how but I'm willing to test it if I can figure out how. Any guides on doing so?

I can't speak to the quality, since I've never done software under volting, but first one I found that references the blade is here. http://www.ultrabookreview.com/10167-laptop-undervolting-overcloking/

I would say don't try it just to test unless it's something you're interested in doing anyways and are comfortable with since changing voltage can impact system stability.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

foutre posted:

The Aero 14 is probably going to run too hot (the 970m version did) and throttle, unless they majorly reworked their cooling system. They might have, because the new model only has 1 M2 slot versus the 2 on the last one, so they may have changed the motherboard size to accommodate that.

However, the Aero 14 had a host of other problems, including screen wobble, a bad keyboard, and bezels that "unstick" from the screen after several months, etc.

Gigabyte is not well regarded when it comes to build quality, and even their premium brand, Aorus, has had some troubles in that regard.

If you're interested in the Razer, you definitely need to read this thread to see the wide ranges of experiences people are having. The thread goes over thermals, throttling, and the GTX 1060 being gimped without the throttlestop hack: https://insider.razerzone.com/index.php?threads/razer-blade-2016-gtx-1060-benchmarks.17082/

s.i.r.e is getting great temps and that's fantastic, but the 6700hq is notoriously inconsistent, and he may just have great silicon.

I wanted a Razer Blade myself, but being outside of the USA, couldn't risk their famously lovely customer service and RMA which is bound to be ten times worse.

The only thing I think the Aorus X3 has over the Blade is a better screen and more storage at lower price point (if price is an issue), and that it has a thicker chassis and should, in theory, be able to cool better. Of course, the complete absence of user reviews makes that one hard to judge. It also has thin bezels, and is 0.6" narrower in width, but it makes up for that in depth and height. ETA: The x3 also has upgradability (RAM, wifi chip, 2xM2 slots).

The Alienware 13 R3 is the only other laptop sub-15 inch with a 1060. Stay away from the GS43VR, not only does it run really hot, if you look at the heatpipe assembly, you'll see it runs right over the wifi chip. To me, that looks like a busted wifi chip 2 months outside of warranty, and to replace it, you'll have to remove the whole cooling assembly which is just a giant PITA. The GS63 is also very hard to get at, as the motherboard is flipped upside down and has these tiny plastic latches and if you don't have teenage girl fingers, it's going to be a long and frustrating process.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 23, 2016

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
I'm looking at helping my cousin buy a cheap laptop that she can use for browsing the internet, but also sometimes will be doing some word/exce. She's not great with computers, so she's asking for my help.

Also to note, I'm in Canada.

I have scoped out two laptops so far which I think would suit her needs:

ThinkPad 13 - $664.30 -
Processor : Intel Core i3-6100U Processor (3MB cache, 2.30GHz)
Operating System : Windows 10 Home 64
Memory : 4GB DDR4-2133 SODIMM
Graphics : Intel HD Graphics 520
Pointing Device : UltraNav (TrackPoint and ClickPad) without Fingerprint Reader
Hard Drive : 256GB Solid State Drive, SATA3 OPAL2.0 - Capable
Display Panel : 13.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare, 220 nits

Thinkpad E570 - $558.00
Processor : Intel Core i3-7100U Processor (3M Cache, 2.40 GHz)
Display : 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, AntiGlare
Memory : 4GB DDR4 2400MHz SODIMM
Graphics : Intel HD Graphics 620
Second Hard Drive : 256GB SSD PCIe-NVMe OPAL2.0
Front Battery : 4 Cell Li-Cyllinder Battery 41WH
Power Cord : 45W AC Adapter - US(2pin)

The E570 is bigger and heavier, but its also cheaper and has better specs as far as I can tell. Is there any better choices out there? Could probably downgrade the harddrive to a mechanical one, but I'd like to try and get and SSD because they're awesome.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The E series is way cheap because it has a plastic frame, it's just a cheap, slightly nice but consumer grade laptop with a Thinkpad logo stuck on the side.

If you have a $600 budget maybe look at a refurb T450 or T460

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Crell posted:

I'm looking at helping my cousin buy a cheap laptop that she can use for browsing the internet, but also sometimes will be doing some word/exce. She's not great with computers, so she's asking for my help.

Also to note, I'm in Canada.

I have scoped out two laptops so far which I think would suit her needs:

ThinkPad 13 - $664.30 -
Processor : Intel Core i3-6100U Processor (3MB cache, 2.30GHz)
Memory : 4GB DDR4-2133 SODIMM
Graphics : Intel HD Graphics 520
Pointing Device : UltraNav (TrackPoint and ClickPad) without Fingerprint Reader
Hard Drive : 256GB Solid State Drive, SATA3 OPAL2.0 - Capable
Display Panel : 13.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare, 220 nits

Thinkpad E570 - $558.00
Processor : Intel Core i3-7100U Processor (3M Cache, 2.40 GHz)
Display : 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS, AntiGlare
Memory : 4GB DDR4 2400MHz SODIMM
Graphics : Intel HD Graphics 620
Second Hard Drive : 256GB SSD PCIe-NVMe OPAL2.0
Front Battery : 4 Cell Li-Cyllinder Battery 41WH
Power Cord : 45W AC Adapter - US(2pin)

The E570 is bigger and heavier, but its also cheaper and has better specs as far as I can tell. Is there any better choices out there? Could probably downgrade the harddrive to a mechanical one, but I'd like to try and get and SSD because they're awesome.

Well either way you'll want to put another 4gb of RAM in there. 8gb is pretty much a mandatory minimum for 2016, even for office computing.

Anyways both computers look pretty awful, all things being considered. But go for the ThinkPad 13 over the e570 every day of the week. 15 inches is huge, and it's not very portable. 13 or even 14 inches is far superior.

The 220 nits is pretty gross though. Still, specs aren't everything. Build quality matters just as much, if not more.

Not that the ThinkPad 13 shines much in that department either mind you. The ThinkPad reputation comes from the T-series of laptops. the T420, T430, T440, T450, T460 and so on.

My girlfriend has a T450 and it's great, crazy durable, and easily upgradable with a SSD and more RAM. I would strongly advise going refurb, grabbing a 1600x900 screen resolution or better. They're significantly more durable, and unliike your options they won't fall apart in two years.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

True 220 nits is perfectly acceptable in anything accept summer in Florida outside, they're in Canada it should be plenty bright

220 is not Macbook Pro bright, but it's certainly average.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Hadlock posted:

True 220 nits is perfectly acceptable in anything accept summer in Florida outside, they're in Canada it should be plenty bright

Depends on where in Canada really. I'm in Toronto for a moment and loathed my old Y50, which was 208nits at full brightness and absolutely awful. My Dell e7470 has 338 nits and it's a gargantuan difference.

Mind you, even the T460s (out of the poster's budget) only has 240 nits. The mainstream average is 289 nits IIRC.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
Thanks for the advice guys, I actually do have a T450 and upgraded it with an SSD, and I love it. Just a little expensive for what my cousin wants.

I had a quick look at refurbs and found this T440 on newegg, but I'm going to keep my eye out for some newer models. Any suggestions on where to look for refurbished items in Canada?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Crell posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, I actually do have a T450 and upgraded it with an SSD, and I love it. Just a little expensive for what my cousin wants.

I had a quick look at refurbs and found this T440 on newegg, but I'm going to keep my eye out for some newer models. Any suggestions on where to look for refurbished items in Canada?

Honestly that t440 looks great. A far better option than either of the two you've listed. There's very little performance dropoff between Haswell and Skylake or Kaby lake. As in ~5%.

Hell, given that the Haswell CPU in that t440 is an i5 if anything there will be increased performance.

Now, the iGPU won't be quite as good, and you might lose an hour of battery life in comparison, but that will be alleviated by the slightly lower resolution (not a big deal), and the fact that the t440 is durable as gently caress compared to those plasicky pieces of crap. The 8gb of RAM and the SSD mean you won't have to futz around with any internals either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

People have had very good luck buying refurbished Thinkpads from eBay. Most sellers will ship to Canada, if not you should be able to find one in Canada direct. Make sure you pick one with more than 1000 sales and 99.9% rating and you should be golden.