Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

As someone noted earlier, Macau isn't like an actual "race"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cygni posted:

As someone noted earlier, Macau isn't like an actual "race"

Same with the Surfers Paradise round of the V8 Supercars. It's just another excuse for material for the "Biggest crashes and bashes" DVD compilations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

So the top four cars were the factory-backed Audi, Porsches and Mercedes? This is my surprised face.

The WEC race was real good. And there's bigger and bigger hints that Alonso will be moving to Porsche soon as well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Back to the Macau GT finish, I was looking at race reports and apparently Earl Bamber (the guy who passed Vanthoor for the lead before the red flag) was given a 5 second penalty for an incident earlier in the race. So even if the results at the red flag were taken as final and not counted back, Vanthoor would probably still have been given the win. That probably makes the crash even better.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

harperdc posted:

The WEC race was real good. And there's bigger and bigger hints that Alonso will be moving to Porsche soon as well.

loving finally :swoon:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IMSA has banned FIA/ACO Platinum drivers from the Continental Tire SportsCar Championship:
http://sportscar365.com/imsa/ctscc/platinum-drivers-banned-from-ctsc-revised-drive-times-confirmed/
Don't blame them here, given that's supposed to be a lower skill/feeder series into WeatherTech. Now if another top level racing org could do that.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I can't see anyone paying for both a top flight F1 and LMP1 program

A top flight LMP program is of course the problem they've had in the past.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Dudley posted:

:laugh:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dudley posted:

Beautiful.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dudley posted:

:vince:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FIA going full "gently caress IT, WE NEED MOAR PEOPLE" for LMP1.
http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/wec-abandons-2018-lmp1-rules-overhaul-851962/
Because next year is going to be Porsche 1-2, Toyota 3-4, and Rebellion beating ByKolles in an LMP2 car. Though the Russians are going to enter another privateer LMP1 car for 2018.

(Also FIA needs to get over its complex about having F1 being the fastest circuit track cars in the world)

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
GT1 style rules with all the new hybrid supercars would fix this problem of a lack of top tier entries. I know it's been said before, but I really think it's something to consider now.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Well not really. None of those cars are still in production, and they'd need to be BOP'd together in the absence of a GT1 spec.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
They could easily produce a homologation special. The CLK, 911 GT1, and Toyota GT-One only ever had one or two road versions made.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

George Zimmer posted:

They could easily produce a homologation special. The CLK, 911 GT1, and Toyota GT-One only ever had one or two road versions made.

So........a Le Mans prototype?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I loved the GT1 cars but the reality is that you're just going to end up back at LMP1 cars once cost savings come in.

I don't see a realistic path back to homologation at the top level with the current environment in the auto sector.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Maybe relax homologation then? No need to set it in stone IMO. If you made a bonkers supercar in the last X years, you can run it in the top class. You guys are kinda right though, this kind of thing eventually just turns back into prototypes. People are even making that accusation now to the Ford GT's.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

P1 will end up performance balanced and cost capped, or it will drag itself along with 1.5 teams and be generally forgettable.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

George Zimmer posted:

Maybe relax homologation then? No need to set it in stone IMO. If you made a bonkers supercar in the last X years, you can run it in the top class. You guys are kinda right though, this kind of thing eventually just turns back into prototypes. People are even making that accusation now to the Ford GT's.

That's already GTE (find me a street Ford GT or mid-engine 911. I'll wait). And the way P1H is working, it'll settle into an F1-esque period of stability likely with more diversity in powertrains but refinement of the current ideas, thanks to the rules now being settled. Hope this does attract a third brand.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/dunlopbtcc/status/800700616779694080
Wonder if Neal got the axe.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Nah, it'll be the third car Andy Neate briefly stunk up in 2016.

Simpson was supposed to have that ride last year but couldn't pony up enough cash.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I also saw that Tordoff is leaving BTCC. I wonder where he's going.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

gret posted:

Probably British GT, endurance seems to be where older drivers go when their sprint racing days are done and I doubt he's enough of an international name to get any attention in WEC or Blancpain.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
a new GT1 would be nice but yeah GTE is already knocking on that homologation extreme door

solution, make GT1 GTE cars with no engine restrictions. make prototypes actual realistic prototypes again

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VikingSkull posted:

make prototypes actual realistic prototypes again

Here's my question, and it's sort of an impression I get from others, not just you (nor do I mean this as a slight against you at all). With the exception of open wheel as a whole and funny car, why do we have to have cars that are based in reality for ever series? I mean sure, it translates well for the makers saying "BUY THIS CAR, IT WON LE MANS!" but what's wrong with prototypes looking futuristic?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
there's nothing inherently wrong with it other than repeated eras of lax restriction leading to a money war of manufacturers, followed by a cycle of increased regulation leading to stagnation

silhouette prototypes don't actually fix the issues that will always be prevalent at the top levels of endurance racing, but they do mitigate the fan disinterest is the downcycle somewhat (see, the late 1970's and the 935)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

gret posted:

Rumors was that Tordoff was taking up a day job, which is why he didn't seem that bothered about losing the title.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, with the last F1 race this weekend, any good series to watch between then and 24 Hours of Daytona?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

iospace posted:

So, with the last F1 race this weekend, any good series to watch between then and 24 Hours of Daytona?

Formula E? Dakar starts in January.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What does a realistic prototype look like?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dauer 962 :troll:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

julian assflange posted:

BMW i3

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

julian assflange posted:

the AMRB 001.

Take the wing and billboard off that mazda DPi car and it would make a pretty boss grocery getter.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The newest Ford GT is a great example of a real world proto, too

everything McLaren sells, etc etc

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/DunlopBTCC/status/801123475683504129
Welp, wonder if VW are out of BTCC as well.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Does Team BKR even receive any factory support for their VWs? I assume they just bought the discarded VWs off of Team BMR.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Love Vauxhalls, so happy about that. Looks a lot better than the Insignia that Jack Goff ran a few years back.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I went to the L.A. Auto Show on Sunday. I was very disappointed that the new Mazda P2 car had already left the building, replaced by an MX-5 Cup car. Boo.

But I got to see the new Porsche and Mercedes GT cars, which were neat. The rear diffusers on them are comically large. I've never seen one as big as the one the new 911 RSR has.

Besides that, Honda had Rossi's Indy 500 winning car, Porsche had a half-Lego 919 P1 car, Jaguar had a Formula E car propped up so you could see the underside; and Galpin Motors had some historic custom cars, which included a Gulf-liveried Ford GT and a 4-engine drag Mustang.

I also did some car shopping. I'm probably going to get a Honda Fit now? There's so much cargo room in that thing I could literally sleep in it, which is actually a thing that I want do be able to do (camping, etc).

Good times. Album: http://imgur.com/a/8q0Rs

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Not sure if this is Misc thread worthy or NASCAR, so it'll get both:
https://twitter.com/dennyhamlin/status/801144254588297216
https://twitter.com/IMSA/status/801152130618916869

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Alain Post posted:

Rumors was that Tordoff was taking up a day job, which is why he didn't seem that bothered about losing the title.

He's never given up his day job, he's an accountant.

VW were never in BTCC, but you're getting your teams mixed up. The VW that were build by Team HARD have been bought back by Team HARD from BKR/BMR. PowerMaxed used a pair of fairly ancient Chevrolets last year.

• Locked thread