Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my theory is that riot is incredibly bad at business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
they should've been able to get much much more for the rights for lcs. plus,the viewing numbers fell off dramatically last year and i think they sold about a year or two too late

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

henkman posted:

I can't imagine it will, that would be incredibly stupid

i wouldnt be terribly surprised if hd streaming or the alternate streams went away behind a paywall. also i expect exclusive advertising.

vods going behind a paywall wouldnt be too surprising either

Endorph posted:

well they either got a lot of money for non-exclusive streaming or they killed their product for a very low sum

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

henkman posted:

I can't imagine it will, that would be incredibly stupid

This is why the number is so low. Riot's not going to stop free access to watching the LCS, it makes them a shitload of money. If it were behind a paywall the number would be much bigger.

e:

stump collector posted:

they should've been able to get much much more for the rights for lcs. plus,the viewing numbers fell off dramatically last year and i think they sold about a year or two too late

Isn't this a misconception? My understanding is that they didn't have much growth but their overall numbers were mostly stable.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

they had some goofy streaming poo poo that hurt their numbers this season, like changing which base stream they were on so a lot of people didnt realize the season had started, or making the stream times so that it was harder to watch both regions

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i think the numbers ended up about the same when you consider a huge amount of people switched to watching on youtube instead, since their player is a whole lot better. people were always comparing twitch=twitch

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Twitch also banned a bunch of the bot accounts that were inflated viewer numbers iirc

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Not surprisingly, Reignover is out of IMT. Another one bites the dust! Pretty incredible for a team that looked like the most dominant western League team for about two splits.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Firebert posted:

Twitch also banned a bunch of the bot accounts that were inflated viewer numbers iirc

last year's viewing numbers make a lot more sense to me now, they banned viewbotting accounts around the time season 6 started

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sexpansion posted:

Not surprisingly, Reignover is out of IMT. Another one bites the dust! Pretty incredible for a team that looked like the most dominant western League team for about two splits.

most dominate but couldn't advance to the finals in either playoffs

v:shobon:v

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

IMT was exceptionally subpar at ability to adapt to patches or to make in series changes that well.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
reignover finally free from 1v9 prison

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

im not sure if, based on past performances, liquid is the team he wants to join to actually get out of that prison

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Radical posted:

im not sure if, based on past performances, liquid is the team he wants to join to actually get out of that prison

Team liquid is 1v4 while the other team just awkwardly and unobtrusively takes your nexus.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Why was Immortals so intent on blowing up?

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

Why was Immortals so intent on blowing up?
they weren't but it was clear that they weren't going to be able to keep huni or reignover and they had some very extravagant plans for the off-season that weren't realised so they're scrambling somewhat now

TL Reignover has been on the cards since worlds, although the buzz over the past couple of weeks that they'd lost out on him to misfits

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

so misfits has a shitload of money right? seems like all the big name korean junglers are trying out for them

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Radical posted:

so misfits has a shitload of money right? seems like all the big name korean junglers are trying out for them
they have money but TL are the richest esports org atm so

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Dardoch is now off TL, so it seems like Reignover to TL is probably going to happen.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i really hope msf get a good jungler cause as the #1 selfie fan i like their current team a lot

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Mr Bones Wild Ride continues:

Rumors of Meiko switching to ADC, Cool and Cloud to IMay, and Gorilla to replace Mata on RNG. In EU, PoE is looking to escape from Origen but only after the problem players are already gone. Afreeca's coach is leaving the organization as well

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
please don't ruin gorilla

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I hope Power of Evil gets good again. He seemed pretty cool.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Arrow and Hachani have left KT, Dade has left Newbee. Longzhu rumors of huge roster changes, rumors of a new Korean Super-Team (Because it worked out great with Longzhu), rumors that Deft & Mata want to join KT with the departure of Arrow/Hachani.

Most exciting news is that Trick2G is looking for players to form a Challenger team.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Firebert posted:

please don't ruin gorilla

gorillA was much worse this past split than he has been for awhile

im old rick bitch
Oct 19, 2004

How does it feel?
GorillA deserves to go to China and get paid for season 5 at least. he got the Tigers to world's finals with loving Hojin

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
https://twitter.com/kenzi131/status/801754941077405696

boo :(

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Rox noooo

i mean ok kuro bye but otherwise

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I only care about Peanut, #1 Peanut fan

im old rick bitch
Oct 19, 2004

How does it feel?

Philip Rivers posted:

I only care about Peanut, #1 Peanut fan

i'll kill you, if you touch my precious peanut. his smile must be protected.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I like that Peanut is small :3:

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Endorph posted:

lol.

https://dotesports.com/report-league-of-legends-made-1-6-billion-in-revenue-last-year-53e0d02d80e0#.9kubdwiia

free to play.

free to play.

free to play.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

If anybody doesn't want to read this: Seven times Dota's money. More money earned than WoW and the last two cowadooties combined. Nuff said.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
you don't understand, riot is bad at business!!!!

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

That number needs to be at least... Three times bigger!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

In defense of DOTA: The reason their prize-pool is so huge is because it's crowd-sourced

But if Riot did the same their prize-pool would be more than triple The Invitational.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
When people say stuff like "Riot is bad at business" they mean that some of the things they do or say when it comes to the community or esports is really, unbelievably loving stupid. Look at replays and sandbox mode for proof. They don't mean that Riot, from a business perspective, is bad at what they do. They just mean that they are bad at communicating and feature implementation in regards to their competitors. From a business standpoint, Riot leverages themselves extremely well. I guarantee you Elementalist Lux is going account for at least 1% of RP Spent this year, and they probably get just as many sales off of all the other skins and poo poo they sell to us, and RP (while being a majority of their profits) is only some of what they sell.

In other news, aui_2000, a member of the 2015 TI5 Winning EG Roster, has a pretty in-depth write up on the necessity of Replays and Sandbox mode. Interesting is this line:

aui_2000 posted:

A personal example of this was at TI5, where my coach Bulba studied our eventual grand final opponents CDEC a lot. Due to his studying of CDEC replays, he learned a lot about how to play each side of the map and then taught us this information, which was hugely influential to our TI5 victory. In my opinion, Bulba’s impact, via replays, single handedly changed the results of TI5.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
If kkoma had access to replays, SKT would be truly unbeatable.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

is it possible that riot gives almost no shits about such complaints because they are literally making over a billion dollars a year selling cosmetic bullshit to retards who can barely even play their game?

somebody i play with claims to have spent thousands on the game, perhaps three thousand over the last several years. a friend of mine has definitely spent several hundred. i saw a post on the LoL forums not long ago, when i was looking for some other information, of a guy claiming to have spent five thousand dollars on the game.

when this is your bottom line, do you seriously care if some overconcerned nerds think you're bad at communicating the finer points of who gives a poo poo what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

"oh dear the seriousposters are up in arms about something or other again."

"how many skins have we sold today? twenty three thousand at ten dollars each? okay well i literally don't give a poo poo, take the day off."

• Locked thread