Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Eternal-playable specifically doesn't count Modern, which is not an Eternal format. :smug:

Legacy isn't an eternal format either. It could accurately be described as a format that starts with Revised/The Dark. (Given what's actually played)

:smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

SoftNum posted:

Legacy isn't an eternal format either. It could accurately be described as a format that starts with Revised/The Dark. (Given what's actually played)

:smugdog:

I know we're joking around and all, but Eternal formats kind of have a specific definition, which I'll quote from the Salvation wiki because their reference doesn't work (LOLWIZARDS)

MTGS Wiki posted:

Eternal formats are DCI tournament formats which allow cards from all Magic: The Gathering sets with the standard card back and black or white borders. (Unglued and Unhinged have silver borders and are therefore not included.)

The two eternal formats are Vintage and Legacy.

Also, the duals were printed back in ABU (ok, Volcanic Island wasn't in Alpha), and they're pretty key parts of the format, so not sure what the "actually played" is referring to. Unless it's a point about Revised duals being more accessible?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Eternal-playable specifically doesn't count Modern, which is not an Eternal format. :smug:

(Also counting Modern isn't fair to sets that aren't Modern-legal, but that's minor.)

Even then though, Snapcaster and Delver are enormously playable cards in Legacy and Vintage. Does Rishadan Port come close to their usage?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Lunsku posted:

Highlander with the restrictions.

Edit: "quick" run through U, R, colourless and lands has me about here with the shortlist:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bjiRtyEB9HnV4JGQuRvr2eKQqttF5MhcXduFlcJnROY/edit?usp=sharing

First feels are that trade offs will have to be made for mana (or a lot of beer has to be drunk, which is honestly how the mana is fixed a lot of the time anyway in our ironman league be it some weird constructed format, cube or winston draft). Probably will put together an ideal 60 against mono R or other aggro, an ideal list against blue control, and try to have the initial list somewhere in the middle. Though I'd assume the deck choices will be a bit more varied this time - there will be some hard swearing/teasing/knifing on those bringing a red pile to the fray.

From Avacyn Restored, you could use Zealous Conscripts which also combos with Splinter Twin/Kiki if wanted one more combo piece.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

TheKingofSprings posted:

I went through and counted 11 solid eternal playables not counting the multicoloured land cycle, how many did Masques have?

E: two of those cards (Snapcaster and Lili) being massive, multiformat all-stars.

There's a poo poo ton in Masques. Even if we discount the fringe / out of favor cards...

Cards in Masques that are eternal playable to some degree:

Reprints:
Dark Ritual
Counterspell
Brainstorm
Disenchant

Essential Cards for Decks:
Rishadan Port
Food Chain
Gush
Rock Badger
Invigorate
Land Grant
Vine Dryad (free spells is a fringe deck tho)
Cave-In (this one is even more fringe, feel free to not count it)

Multi-Deck Role Players (which have all pretty much fallen out of favor):
Dust Bowl
Misdirection
Snuff Out (this is fringe and no longer played, feel free to not count it)
Squee, Goblin Nabob
Tower of the Magistrate
Unmask
5x Depletion Lands (again, fringe)

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Serperoth posted:

Also, the duals were printed back in ABU (ok, Volcanic Island wasn't in Alpha), and they're pretty key parts of the format, so not sure what the "actually played" is referring to. Unless it's a point about Revised duals being more accessible?

I meant more like you can assemble every played legacy deck from cards printed after in and after revised. Mostly I just think the 'eternal' vs. 'non-rotating' distinction is pretty :goonsay: and funny.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

SoftNum posted:

I meant more like you can assemble every played legacy deck from cards printed after in and after revised. Mostly I just think the 'eternal' vs. 'non-rotating' distinction is pretty :goonsay: and funny.

The difference is that eternal formats include all the cards from things like Conspiracy and commander decks - literally every black- and white-bordered card that's not explicitly banned. There are new cards being designed and printed even today that are not legal in Modern.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Unmask is actually seeing regular play in Legacy now due to B/R reanimator.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Don't forget Village Bell ringer and Resto Angel as Kiki targets. Imperial Recruiter too.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Sigma-X posted:

There's a poo poo ton in Masques. Even if we discount the fringe / out of favor cards...

Cards in Masques that are eternal playable to some degree:

Essential Cards for Decks:
Rock Badger

Really?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Badgers are very sneaky, you never know where they'll show up.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The RPTQ date has really snuck up on me, trying to figure out what to play. After dredge, what is the consensus best deck in the format? Does dredge have any bad game 1 matchups?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Chuu posted:

The RPTQ date has really snuck up on me, trying to figure out what to play. After dredge, what is the consensus best deck in the format? Does dredge have any bad game 1 matchups?

Infect is the best deck. Dredge only has bad game 1s against decks that run anger main, and even then it's not bad.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

I was wondering if anyone would actually read the list :v:

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!

Barry Shitpeas posted:

When Maro did the storm scale article for Khans block, he revealed that megamorph was the least popular mechanic since they started doing market research. This week he was doing the Zendikar blocks

quote:

Only cohort, converge, and megamorph score lower than support.

How did Banding not make this list?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

mattah posted:

Banding is a fine mechanic but it's crippled by needing to really understand the rules and the wording explaining it is godawful.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mattah posted:

They weren't doing this kind of market research back then. I'd bet that Cumulative Upkeep would be on the list otherwise.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Banding actually works a lot better since the m10 combat rules changes, but it's entirely different on defense than offense and when it causes problems, it becomes a mess.

Love me some banding. And flanking.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mehall posted:

And flanking.

ice cold take: bushido is better than flanking

kitsune blademaster for life

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Elyv posted:

Bushido affects one creature and can't kill creatures itself.

Flanking affects as many creatures as there are blockers, and can wipe out tokens.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mehall posted:

Bushido affects one creature and can't kill creatures itself.

Flanking affects as many creatures as there are blockers, and can wipe out tokens.

I meant as a mechanic

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Elyv posted:

Rampage > Bushido

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Bushido is better design than flanking just because it doesn't have the corner case of flanking not counting when two creatures with it meet in combat.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

rock badger plus blood moon is unbeatable

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Bushido is a great mechanic. I hope they just rename it to something a little more generic and make it evergreen, spread it throughout the colors.

Prowess would've been a good name for it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'm not sure it needs to be evergreen since it fills a similar role to first strike.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Those rankings aren't all-time, they're just for the mechanics they have current market research on.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Those rankings aren't all-time, they're just for the mechanics they have current market research on.

Speaking off, I hate the dumb market research they do. Market research is a big contributing factor in why standard is the way it is.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

mehall posted:

Banding actually works a lot better since the m10 combat rules changes, but it's entirely different on defense than offense and when it causes problems, it becomes a mess.

Love me some banding. And flanking.

Banding was pretty incomprehensible when I was a kid who didn't understand the rules of magic. This article makes it a lot simpler now that I know how declaring attackers and blocks works

http://archive.wizards.com/dci/judge/main.asp?x=articles/jc20010830a

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Sickening posted:

Speaking off, I hate the dumb market research they do. Market research is a big contributing factor in why standard is the way it is.

Market research is a good way to ensure that your business does fine in the medium term by giving people the same boring thing that they keep asking for over and over until they eventually lose interest.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

Does market research actually tell them "People LOVE watching 2/3s and 4/5s with vigilance rub asses together, forever"?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

People don't like seeing their creatures killed, yeah.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Count Bleck posted:

Does market research actually tell them "People LOVE watching 2/3s and 4/5s with vigilance rub asses together, forever"?

It probably tells them that a game where one player gets blown out by [insert unfun thing here] is a 8/10 for the winning player and a 3/10 for the losing one, while 2/3s with vigilance, forever, is a 6 for both, which is a higher number, so better *rolls eyes so hard they fall out of my head*

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Count Bleck posted:

People want to hit their opponent with big, efficient creatures and so when a pack gets opened the rare needs to be the bigger-ist and most efficient-itst around. Also if my big creature dies to their big creature that's no fun so we'll print every staple creature as an X/X+1.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
The new cube is great.

Not pictured: Opponent on 5 cards in deck, I'm on 3 cards in deck. Had it locked anyway w/ the wurm but drawing the beast within felt good.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
The X/X+1 thing is not really what's going on in current standard though? Sylvan Advocate barely sees play now, I think Reflector Mage is really the only 2/3 of note.

You guys just like to bitch about standard; I think the format is great right now. The SCG scene is lame and incestuous and self-reinforcing about what the "best decks" are but that's always true.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

sit on my Facebook posted:

The X/X+1 thing is not really what's going on in current standard though? Sylvan Advocate barely sees play now, I think Reflector Mage is really the only 2/3 of note.

You guys just like to bitch about standard; I think the format is great right now. The SCG scene is lame and incestuous and self-reinforcing about what the "best decks" are but that's always true.

Tell me why standard is great right now. This has nothing to do with scg.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Count Bleck posted:

I actually remember thinking that as a kid when I was a new player. It was more fun to build up a huge army and get to see lots of cards than it was to win by blowout. I'm not sure if it was a new player thing or a kid thing, but now as an adult who's been playing for years its boring as poo poo.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

sit on my Facebook posted:

Spell Queller? Inventor's Apprentice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Spell Queller? Inventor's Apprentice?

Kalitas, Ishkanah and her tokens, Elder Deep-Fiend, Mindwrack Demon.....

• Locked thread