Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

Uthor posted:

I'm kind of thinking ahead toward Xmas and am a little stuck on one cousin. What would someone recommend to a huge Walking Dead TV show fan that's not just the Walking Dead comics? I'd feel weird getting her something that is basically the same story, but without her teenage crush, Daryl.

Living With Zombies for no pants zombie killing action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

I'm kind of thinking ahead toward Xmas and am a little stuck on one cousin. What would someone recommend to a huge Walking Dead TV show fan that's not just the Walking Dead comics? I'd feel weird getting her something that is basically the same story, but without her teenage crush, Daryl.

Afterlife with Archie is supposed to be really good, even if you've never read Archie.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't know a whole lot about Archie outside of what I've read by Mark Waid's run so far, and that Veronica is the best character, but Afterlife With Archie seems to be pretty newcomer friendly, though I imagine it would be even better if you already know those characters fairly well.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Gotta be zombies? Maybe Southern Bastards if not.

No. I think she likes the melodrama more than the zombies.

Southern Bastards would be a little intense for her. And I don't think she'd have much interest in "The South" (teenage suburban Midwesterner).

Franchescanado posted:

Afterlife with Archie is supposed to be really good, even if you've never read Archie.

Ironically, that's on my list for another cousin's wife (they're into horror stuff in general and she mentioned she misses reading Archie).

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I just finished Sweet Tooth last night and it has some similar elements of TWD with the bonus of being a lot loving better too.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Yeah Sweet Tooth would be a good pick, maybe Scalped? I'd argue Scalped is more intense then Southern Bastards but I felt it played out differently.

Is she too young for Crossed? That's melodrama and zombies without being a copy of TWD. And largely in the Midwest I think. You should buy her Crossed now so you can have fun holiday conversations with her parents.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Uthor posted:

I don't think anyone has recommended Locke & Key yet, and it's probably right in her wheelhouse. Survival horror with teen protagonists, and there are several great editions in both hardback and soft.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shitshow posted:

I don't think anyone has recommended Locke & Key yet, and it's probably right in her wheelhouse. Survival horror with teen protagonists, and there are several great editions in both hardback and soft.

I'd read the first two issues first and see if it's appropriate. The book gets fantastical and magical, but starts off incredibly violent, with sexual assault and stuff.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

but starts off incredibly violent, with sexual assault and stuff.

Have you experienced The Walking Dead?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Have you experienced The Walking Dead?

No, I think it's boring. I gave up after the third trade, never read any rape.

Whereas Locke & Key has a rape on page 2 in issue 1. Also a murderer travels across country giving blowjobs to truckers before killing them. Locke & Key is a great coming-of-age story, it just raises the stakes incredibly high in the first issues to explore trauma.

Not trying to brag about which one's more hosed up, I'm trying to be considerate so the dude's not a creepy uncle. It's not like mentioned her age other than "teenager".

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

It's not like mentioned her age other than "teenager".

Is that "creepy uncle"? I just don't like giving more details than I need to about people I know. She's seventeen. I do guess what's appropriate for thirteen is vastly different from what's appropriate for seventeen. I had given her sister my old copies of Sandman when she was around that age, and there's some messed up issues in that first volume.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Is that "creepy uncle"? I just don't like giving more details than I need to about people I know. She's seventeen. I do guess what's appropriate for thirteen is vastly different from what's appropriate for seventeen. I had given her sister my old copies of Sandman when she was around that age, and there's some messed up issues in that first volume.

No, I meant "creepy uncle" as in, I didn't want you giving your niece a book with questionable content just because a goon didn't mention it, not because you didn't list age.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Franchescanado posted:

No, I think it's boring. I gave up after the third trade, never read any rape.

Whereas Locke & Key has a rape on page 2 in issue 1. Also a murderer travels across country giving blowjobs to truckers before killing them. Locke & Key is a great coming-of-age story, it just raises the stakes incredibly high in the first issues to explore trauma.

Not trying to brag about which one's more hosed up, I'm trying to be considerate so the dude's not a creepy uncle. It's not like mentioned her age other than "teenager".

I'm a huge fan of Locke & Key and loved it so much that I finished the whole series in 2 days (minus the little side story comics, which I have yet to read). Joe Hill is an incredible writer and the series pulls few punches with its emotional content; there's extremely few irredeemable characters and generally everyone except a handful of one-offs has positive and negative points to their personalities that make them feel very well-rounded.

In terms of traumatic content, it covers:

* The death of a parent
* Rape
* Suicidal behavior
* Gay bashing
* Child abuse

And that's just what I clearly remember. That said, it's done in a generally tasteful and serious manner and the rape is all implied and kept off-screen. The whole first issue is dealing with the trauma of Rendell Locke's murder and how broken up his family is over it, including a lot of lingering over the funeral.

There's also some amazing segments where you get to see inside a character's brain through magical means, and the artist gets to go hog wild with imagery.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 20, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Locke & Key

* The death of a parent

I was really liking the suggestion, but this is going to make it a hard no. (we just buried their mother sadface)

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

That might be a good call, I'm a massive fan of Locke & Key but the parent's death is kind of a major theme that hangs over the entire series. Sorry to hear about their loss.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

At the same time, I don't know if I'd absolutely go against Locke & Key purely on that. The death of Rendell Locke is a major part of the series and a driving force behind a lot of the decisions, but they also dedicate a lot of that time to showing the grieving and healing process. It's one of the most realistic depictions of it that I've ever seen in fiction, which is why the series ends so beautifully. I'm not a psychologist so I don't know if I'd say it could help anyone cope with the loss, but I think it's a good choice if you want a good fictional depiction of how you can learn to move on.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 21, 2016

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Uthor posted:

I was really liking the suggestion, but this is going to make it a hard no. (we just buried their mother sadface)

Might stay away from Sweet Tooth, then.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Maybe Y: The Last Man?

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I'm very tempted to read the black Monday murders. How is it?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Fantastic. The first issue is over 50 pages, so well worth trying.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I picked up Marvel Unlimited last year for a month and read some stuff I'd been curious about. Jessica Jones+ Pulse+ New Avengers, World War Hulk, and the 04-11 Cosmic arcs, which were all cool. I also read some X-Men stuff that i think I basically forgot about immediately. I picked Unlimited up again because I'll have some time off, so I could use some generic Marvel recommendations.

I already read up on the current Dr Strange solo, and I guess I'll check out Spider Woman based on some recs here. I could use a good Daredevil recommendation, some Silver Surfer, and good sci fi stories as well. I would also appreciate recommendations for some characters I might not be familiar with, i.e. not featured in the MCU.

Sorry, that list got a little longer than I intended.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I picked up Marvel Unlimited last year for a month and read some stuff I'd been curious about. Jessica Jones+ Pulse+ New Avengers, World War Hulk, and the 04-11 Cosmic arcs, which were all cool. I also read some X-Men stuff that i think I basically forgot about immediately. I picked Unlimited up again because I'll have some time off, so I could use some generic Marvel recommendations.

I already read up on the current Dr Strange solo, and I guess I'll check out Spider Woman based on some recs here. I could use a good Daredevil recommendation, some Silver Surfer, and good sci fi stories as well. I would also appreciate recommendations for some characters I might not be familiar with, i.e. not featured in the MCU.

Sorry, that list got a little longer than I intended.

For Daredevil the Frank Miller stuff and the Brian Michael Bendis stuff is great, their wikipedia pages will tell you which issues. For Sci-Fi, assuming you're okay with silver age purple prose, you really can't go wrong with the original Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four, other great FF runs are Mark Waid and Jonathon Hickman.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I enjoyed the recent slott Silver Surfer run immensely it was really good

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Coming back to the well for some more rec's
Can you guys comment on / suggest some marvel graphic novels that aren't available in marvel unlimited / are not collections of previously published comics?
I think I've discovered a small sampling, with the Thanos revelation trilogy, and Squirrel Girl beats up the marvel universe. Are these worthwhile? Are there more like that out there?
As far as my interests go, I've really enjoyed all of the marvel suggestions put forward in this thread so far. I'm pretty open to a variety of suggestions. I would like to stick to Marvel, as I've been riding on their bandwagon, and feel like I'm getting at least familiar with most of the major characters.(outside of x-men that is. Haven't taken much of a dive down that rabbit hole.)

PerniciousKnid posted:

I could use some generic Marvel recommendations.
I would also appreciate recommendations for some characters I might not be familiar with, i.e. not featured in the MCU.

Here's some stuff I've really enjoyed so far:

Infinity Gauntlet is a classic. Be sure to read Silver Surfer #34-38 (the only issues in that particular series of SS to be included in Marvel Unlimited) and Thanos Quest as the lead up to Infinity Gauntlet.
Most any Deadpool written by anyone other than Daniel Way, in particular, the run starting in 2012 was very good.
Cable & Deadpool is a very enjoyable buddy comic (they're not really buddies. Cable ices Deadpool on the regular)
Deadpool vs Thanos is a fun romp.
Deadpool takes a bit of a more serious turn when he teams up with some mutants in Remender's Uncanny X-Force
Being on a Deadpool tear lead me to the Spider-Man/Deadpool series. Another good buddy comic, although not having read any Spider-Man up to that point, it did lead me to wonder how the hell he ended up where he's at. It pushed me to jump back to another buddy/team up comic: Avenging Spider-Man, which segued into Superior Spider-Man, and Superior Spider-Man Team Up
Something else that sparked my curiosity in the Spider-Man/Deadpool book was in Issue 4

[
Thor's a woman now, and Deadpool tricks her into going on a date with him. :wtc: Better go back and read Original Sin, and then on to The Mighty Thor And while I'm falling down this here rabbit hole, may as well read the whole lead up to Secret Wars, and the event itself. Not going to drum up MU links for those, because it's frankly a pain in the rear end tracking all that down. I'm sure someone in here has already, or google can, provide(d) a reading list for all that epic craziness.
Also: Deadpool called the election back in April :smugdon:
Ms. Marvel Shows a rare perspective in media, that of a first generation Pakistani American teenage girl(who just happens to gain super powers). And they do a great job with it.
I'll second the suggestion to read Hickman's run on Fantastic Four, it's pretty stellar.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

B33rChiller posted:

Coming back to the well for some more rec's
Can you guys comment on / suggest some marvel graphic novels that aren't available in marvel unlimited / are not collections of previously published comics?
I think I've discovered a small sampling, with the Thanos revelation trilogy, and Squirrel Girl beats up the marvel universe. Are these worthwhile? Are there more like that out there?
Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe is exactly what you'd want / expect from a Squirrel Girl OGN.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe is exactly what you'd want / expect from a Squirrel Girl OGN.

Hey thanks! Does OGN mean the kind of book that's not a collection of individual comic issues? More of a stand alone? Is OGN the term I should use to search for these kinds of things?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Basically, although it should be noted that the aforementioned Squirrel Girl one is fairly heavily tied into the current Squirrel Girl ongoing comic, in that it features a lot of the supporting characters from that series and isn't too worried about introducing them to new readers.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
How fortunate for Hillary, she is no longer a viable subplot for a deadpool comic

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

So, there seems to be a lot of tps coming out this week. What are goon thoughts on: superfuckers; Sachs & violens; Barack the barbarian; d&d shadow of the vampire; and xena all roads?

Thank you very much for any information.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

Being on a Deadpool tear lead me to the Spider-Man/Deadpool series.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I read an issue of S/D and it's legit, now I too am curious about Spiderman. Plenty of links to chew on this weekend!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
What Secret Wars tie-ins are worth reading, from the perspective of someone who doesn't have any attachment to the various series / events they're about? I'm mostly after stuff like Siege or Thors, which either tie into the main series or have a really neat concept.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What Secret Wars tie-ins are worth reading, from the perspective of someone who doesn't have any attachment to the various series / events they're about? I'm mostly after stuff like Siege or Thors, which either tie into the main series or have a really neat concept.

If you enjoyed Thors, Loki: Agent of Asgard might work well for you. MODOK Assassin was pretty good too. And since I'm rapidly becoming a Deadpool fanboy, I'll shill for Deadpool's Secret Secret wars. It's not actually a tie-in for Secret wars (2015), it's a humorous retcon of the original secret wars (where the Venom symbiote first showed up).

Probably a bunch more, but I haven't read it all yet.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
For Xmas, I'm planning to get my "Creepshow"-loving fiancee one of the EC horror Archives. I thought to start with Tales from the Crypt Vol. 1, but since it's an anthology series I'm not sure if the first stories are the strongest. Are any of the three "main" EC horror series volumes particularly acclaimed? Or is the quality pretty equal among them all?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Uthor posted:

No. I think she likes the melodrama more than the zombies.

Southern Bastards would be a little intense for her. And I don't think she'd have much interest in "The South" (teenage suburban Midwesterner).

Ironically, that's on my list for another cousin's wife (they're into horror stuff in general and she mentioned she misses reading Archie).

Not sure if you ended up settling on any of the recommendations given, but she might like Revival. I've only read the first trade but really enjoyed it.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Are any of the non X-Titles during the Inferno event necessary/worth reading?

Avengers #298-300
Daredevil #262, 263, 265
Power Pack #42-44
Cloak and Dagger (vol. 3) #4
Fantastic Four #322-324
Spectacular Spider-Man #146-148
Web of Spider-Man #47-48
The Amazing Spider-Man #311-31

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

After watching Shin Godzilla, a friend of mine got me the first volume of Kaijumax. I still haven't read it-I'm still weary after that time he gifted me the Morrison Batman comics. Is it any good? I AM a big Kaiju buff,would I get any enjoyment outta it?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

VolticSurge posted:

After watching Shin Godzilla, a friend of mine got me the first volume of Kaijumax. I still haven't read it-I'm still weary after that time he gifted me the Morrison Batman comics. Is it any good? I AM a big Kaiju buff,would I get any enjoyment outta it?

YES
~second opinion~
HELL YES

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Space Fish posted:

YES
~second opinion~
HELL YES

Ah,alright. I'll give it a shot! The reasons I hesitated are because my buddy 1.gifted me edgy garbage last time (Batman)and 2. described Kaijumax as "Shawshank Redemption with giant monsters" which makes it sound like edgy garbage. Good to know it's not.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I don't know though, if you didn't like Morrison's Batman you may have bad taste so results may vary here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Retro Futurist posted:

I don't know though, if you didn't like Morrison's Batman you may have bad taste so results may vary here.

I just didn't like the edgy poo poo. Ya'know,like the guy who eats his own face or whatever.