Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Queensland is the Florida of Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Abortion is still criminalised in Queensland? What the gently caress is wrong with your state? You have a unicameral system and Labor's in government, why is this a thing?

it's Queensland, also Labor is actually poo poo

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I think poo poo is getting unfairly besmirched.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Queensland is the Florida of Australia.

And also the Texas

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

NPR Journalizard posted:

And also the Texas

Floxas? Texida?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
And Nevada.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Queensland is the Queensland of the World.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Queensland is like all the Southern states of the US put together, but without all the guns

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Or any of the good things about the South.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

First Pope

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Peter Dutton's comments on Lebanese migrants 'outrageous', says Fraser minister

Malcolm Fraser’s immigration minister, Ian Macphee, has excoriated the current occupant of the portfolio, Peter Dutton, branding his recent reflection on the immigration policies of the 1970s “outrageous”, and declaring the Liberal party “has long since ceased to be liberal”.

Macphee’s statement on Wednesday followed Dutton’s incendiary observation in question time on Monday that Fraser should not have let Lebanese Muslims into Australia in the 1970s because a small number of people in subsequent generations had been charged with terrorism-related offences.

The prime minister on Tuesday declined three opportunities to rebuke Dutton for his comment, praising the immigration minister’s performance in the portfolio.

Macphee declared in his statement that Dutton had hit a new low in standards of recent immigration ministers, and accused him of deliberately chasing headlines via an interview with the “extremist” Andrew Bolt, the News Corp blogger and Sky News broadcaster.

“The Fraser government honoured international law and morality,” Macphee said in the statement. “From the Howard government onwards these have been increasingly discarded.”

Macphee placed Dutton in the same category as the One Nation leader, Pauline Hanson, who opposes Muslim immigration, and Bolt, declaring them “ignorant, alarmist voices”; and he said the community anger in response to the immigration minister’s comments was justified.

“Dutton’s words offended them, especially as they attacked Malcolm Fraser, for whom they have profound respect and whose policies enabled them to integrate with and expand the understanding of other Australians of the rich, diversified culture that Australia has due to the contribution of migrants and refugees,” he said.

The prime minister used a national security statement to parliament on Wednesday to argue an “inclusive society” was a vital element in countering the rise of violent extremism.

Turnbull told parliament terrorist groups sought to identify weakness and vulnerability and to “drive and exploit fear and division”.

“Actions and behaviours that target particular sections in society merely play into their hands. We are one of the most successful multicultural societies in the world.”

“As I have said many times, the glue that holds us together is mutual respect – the recognition that each of us is entitled to the same respect, the same dignity and opportunities.”

But Labor took the opportunity of the security statement and a separate debate in the federation chamber to criticise Dutton for his intervention.

The Labor leader, Bill Shorten, accused Dutton of engaging in “loud lazy disrespect” and he said the immigration minister’s observation about Lebanese-Muslim migrants was “profoundly wrong”.

Shorten said the comments had the potential to “aid and abet the isolation and resentment that the extremists pray upon”.

“The comments weren’t just a repudiation of the success of Australia, a nation made great by migration and multiculturalism. The minister’s comments, his ignorant comments, contradict and undermine and fly in the face of every briefing I have ever received from our security agencies who explain to us how best to counter radicalisation about defeating extremism.”

In the federation chamber, Sydney-based Labor frontbencher Tony Burke said you had to go back to the time of the White Australia policy to find a minister making an argument that particular communities should be excluded from entry on the basis of race or religion.

He said the comments from Dutton gave a people “a sense of licence and permission to abuse their fellow citizens” – and he said that abuse had already commenced.

Burke said he believed Dutton’s statement would win him votes, but “I don’t care”.

He said it was time for political leaders to lead and bring the country together, and to cease equivocations about multiculturalism. A multicultural Australia was either a concept you signed up to or rejected, Burke said.

Labor backbencher and anti-radicalisation expert Anne Aly – who was born in Egypt, not Lebanon – has received death threats on her Facebook page which are currently being investigated by the Australian Federal Police.

She has also been the subject of abusive emails.

An email sent to her office on November 22, with the subject line “Leb thugs”, says the following: “Peter Dutton was right. Pack your bags and piss off back to where you came from and take all of your terrorist faith with you.”

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/nov/23/peter-duttons-comments-on-lebanese-migrants-outrageous-says-fraser-minister

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Abortion is still criminalised in Queensland? What the gently caress is wrong with your state?
Still a crime in NSW too.
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-11/greens-push-to-decriminalise-abortion-in-nsw-stop-protesters/7720256

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
So what are we so scared of oh boogitty boogity boogity terrorists for anyway?

1:350,000,000 (perannum) (Or ~ one Australian every 20 years)

Storm in teacup only identifiable using electron microscope.

From http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-terrorism-statistics-every-american-needs-to-hear/5382818

quote:

Scientific American reported in 2011:

John Mueller, a political scientist at Ohio State University, and Mark Stewart, a civil engineer and authority on risk assessment at University of Newcastle in Australia … contended, “a great deal of money appears to have been misspent and would have been far more productive—saved far more lives—if it had been expended in other ways.”

You are ~4,500 times more likely to be killed by a fellow patriot in Australia than by a filthy towel-headed immigrant. Makes you think. Nah of course it doesn't let's keep spending billions on a non-problem that takes our eyes off the multicoloured ball being bounced between clowns in Canberra.

Peter Dutton is solid proof abortion should be both legal and freely available.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Queensland will learn. You can't knock ol reliable for tryin'

She's still as good as when I first bought er. Travels from Brisbane to the Gold Coast on a gallon of pigs snot.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I hope i dont die in ww2

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Good on him. Just highlights that this is the state of play these days though:

Left .................. Right ............... Labor ......... Overton Window ............ Liberal ........... One Nation/Nazis

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

quote:

You are ~4,500 times more likely to be killed by a fellow patriot in Australia than by a filthy towel-headed immigrant. Makes you think. Nah of course it doesn't let's keep spending billions on a non-problem that takes our eyes off the multicoloured ball being bounced between clowns in Canberra.

proof positive the border policies are working you leftie scum

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Also lmao at all the PLEASE BUY E10 FUEL KATTER HAS US BY THE BALLS

Ads in King George Square.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Here's someone 18c doesn't protect, apparently:

quote:

The Turnbull government has threatened to sue a retiree who established a little-visited website that campaigns against cuts to Medicare, accusing him of unauthorised use of the healthcare system's green and yellow logo.

The use of Medicare against the government has become a point of extreme sensitivity for the Coalition since its near-death experience in July and Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull's angry election night claim that unions "peddled lies" to voters in text messages purportedly sent by Medicare.

But Mark Rogers, a Sydney grandfather of two, said it was "beyond over the top" and "Monty Pythonesque" for the government to threaten him with court and damages for his part-time personal crusade to protect Medicare.

"I've committed a terrible crime, I don't agree with a government policy," Mr Rogers told Fairfax Media.

"Medicare belongs to the people anyway, the government is simply the caretaker and yet I'm being pursued like I'm producing and selling a counterfeit product through Aldi or Coles. I'm trying to build the brand of Medicare rather than diminish it. It is the government which has threatened Medicare by cutting billions of dollars out of it."

The government is pursuing Mr Rogers, who spends part of his week minding his two granddaughters, even though the Liberal Party used the Medicare logo in election ads in which Mr Turnbull insisted its future was safe.

Mr Rogers also compared the government's pursuit of him with the Liberal Party's current obsession with freedom of speech and loosening section 18c of the Racial Discrimination Act.

On Wednesday last week he received a legal letter from the Australian Government Solicitor giving him less than 48 hours to shut down his "Save Medicare" website and agree to never use Medicare branding again.

"It seems to me the government wants to make freedom of speech available for people who agree with their opinions but if you don't you get the Australian Government Solicitor thrown on to you." he said.

Mr Rogers's website and domain name is similar to Labor's "save Medicare" campaign website but the ALP has not been threatened with legal action, Fairfax Media has confirmed.

The logo:

The legal letter from the DHS

They literally want him to cancel the domain name.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Also lmao at all the PLEASE BUY E10 FUEL KATTER HAS US BY THE BALLS

Ads in King George Square.

Lol you can search by license plate.

SLT69 is E10 OK.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

You Am I posted:

Queensland is like all the Southern states of the US put together, but without all the guns

The equator is Anglo kryptonite.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Boils the brain.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

And also the Texas

More Arizona than Texas I think

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Synthbuttrange posted:

One Nation Senator Rod Culleton says Pauline Hanson is "not the boss" of his office after he failed to meet her last night.

lmao

The next government of Queensland, ladies and gentlemen.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

I'm Dave.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

Wheezle posted:

The next government of Queensland, ladies and gentlemen.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-23/national-party-faces-existential-threat-from-one-nation-polling/8049538

But what about WA?

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Recoome posted:

BRISGOONS: There's a Rally for the decriminalisation of abortions in QLD on the 1st of December, for any uni students etc. who are able to get there. Honestly I found this out through one of my friends who's with the Greens, so I know they should be there in some capacity.

e: I will most prob be there, with a few friends aswell so COME ALONG

It's being organised between the Women's Abortion Rights Campaign (kickass group of Union women from the 80s), Young Queenslanders for the Right to Choose (kickass group of young women from now) and Pro Choice Queensland (kickass group of everyone).

All the rallies are really positive and well attended.

I know that the Greens candidate for Brisbane, Kirsten Lovejoy, will be in attendance, and there's usually a pretty big crowd of Green shirts. There's usually a decent showing from Parliament and a bunch of Labor Left people come along too.

Fun for the whole family. I'll be there as usual guzzling coffee and looking sadly toward my office.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Kafka Syrup posted:

It's being organised between the Women's Abortion Rights Campaign (kickass group of Union women from the 80s), Young Queenslanders for the Right to Choose (kickass group of young women from now) and Pro Choice Queensland (kickass group of everyone).

All the rallies are really positive and well attended.

I know that the Greens candidate for Brisbane, Kirsten Lovejoy, will be in attendance, and there's usually a pretty big crowd of Green shirts. There's usually a decent showing from Parliament and a bunch of Labor Left people come along too.

Fun for the whole family. I'll be there as usual guzzling coffee and looking sadly toward my office.

Sounds great!! Thanks for the background info!

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Birdstrike posted:

Economics post

I have an economics degree and this post was a good little refresher. I would suggest not to take macroeconomic theories as indisputable truths. There is a lot of debate about them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_macroeconomic_thought I do tend to agree with what you're writing though.

Private school funding cuts would force more students into public schools, increasing the overall cost to government. This is the same reason why they want people on private health insurance. Private schools aren't all that comparatively bad, the oligarchic exploitation of the health sector by Ramsey and other groups is worse.

I personally think that the government is attempting to force the RBA to start QE, then they will follow it up with more austerity programs. This will worsen inequality and has (in the UK) ensured conservative governments stay in power. I wrote an article about it here if you want to have a read. In the article I discuss a transcript in which a bunch of influential economists and journalists discuss how QE is dis-equalizing. One of them mentions that it would be nice if they could test what it would be like it they paid people money directly instead of QE. I found it funny/depressing how they had no idea we had already done it here successfully. http://www.youngausint.org.au/single-post/2016/11/06/How-the-RBA-stole-Christmas

gucci bane fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 23, 2016

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Commerz posted:

Private school funding cuts would force more students into public schools, increasing the overall cost to government.

I assume if the money is taken away from funding extravagant private school extensions the government will just burn the money rather than putting it into public schools, and the private schools in question will just triple their fees rather than scaling back their insane overdevelopment projects.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

iajanus posted:

I assume if the money is taken away from funding extravagant private school extensions the government will just burn the money rather than putting it into public schools, and the private schools in question will just triple their fees rather than scaling back their insane overdevelopment projects.

I don't think it is a fair system but it's not as clean cut as take the money out and now you have extra money. Perhaps they should just remove funding from private schools with large amounts of invested capital. Then again Universities have that too and really are almost the same as private schools when it comes to attendees having class and privilege.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Commerz posted:

I don't think it is a fair system but it's not as clean cut as take the money out and now you have extra money. Perhaps they should just remove funding from private schools with large amounts of invested capital. Then again Universities have that too and really are almost the same as private schools when it comes to attendees having class and privilege.

I'd say a good start is to stop funding schools that clearly don't need it; I'm not going to work out the details but it's hilarious how the private school lobby throws the tiny religious schools into the breach whenever anyone dares to cut back the largesse. There has to be a way to stop the stupidity.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's not simply a over-funding of private schools but an active de-funding of public schools. For example somehow it's fine to ensure a private school has all the laptops per student but throw the public school onto the unequal resources of parents. And like iajanus, I'm not convinced that cutting the insane amount of private school funding necessarily benefits student numbers in the public system because the point of the funding is to take that money away from other services. The government doesn't lose anything, because it is playing politics with funding.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Commerz posted:

Please don't gently caress with the public university funding, goddamn

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Please feel free to gently caress with the Group of 8 universities which are actively working to gently caress over uni students though

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/davidlipson/status/801351857457205248

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm so glad the adults are back in charge

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Recoome posted:

Please don't gently caress with the public university funding, goddamn

I wasn't advocating any loving around at all. I'm just trying to make people aware that governments aren't the supreme masters of economic performance. They can and do make it worse or better, but Keynesian economics is not the magic fix we would like it to be. That said, politicians actively choose to screw the working class. In 1975 the UK economy had been savaged by several years of inflation. The conservative government had a choice to make between reducing industry profits or hindering the incomes of workers. They did what any respectable conservative would do. They waited until inflation caused an exchange rate crisis to unfold, blamed it on the international economy, then attacked unions. We are probably seeing a similar thing happen before our eyes in Australia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

What was the legislation for? Is this another fiasco that's going to be the lead story on tomorrow's AM?

Edit- oh, the one about increasing the tax to leave Australia? How many millions per year is this going to cost?

• Locked thread