Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Argh, there's something shorting out in the dome light in my Mercedes and it's on the same fuse as the power locks. Annoying as the trunk and fuel lid are controlled by the central locking system.

edit: Also, I think my multi-meter is in Nebraska :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CharlesM posted:

Yeah, the origins are basically phrenology type stuff justifying certain "races" being superior. Down syndrome was called Mongolian idiocy.

0_0

Daaaaamn no wonder I havent heard that used for 30 years. That's some hosed up stupidity.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My dome is shorting out if u know what I mean

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Enourmo posted:

Yall have the most respectful political discourse I think I've seen anywhere, way to reinforce my view that AI is good people.

Politics chat this month ITT has been well done and appreciated, given the lovely political things that have happened this year.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

0_0

Daaaaamn no wonder I havent heard that used for 30 years. That's some hosed up stupidity.

I'm not sure the guy was trying to be racist when he called it "Mongolian idiocy" because he thought people with Downs looked like "Mongoloids", and the scientific thinking of the time was still pretty hosed up. He was against people using that kind of thinking to justify slavery. Anyways I'm not a historian or anything so no doubt I'm oversimplifying stuff a bunch.

Anyways it's one of those things like "gypped" where you don't even realize the origin is kind of hosed up.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

funny Star Wars parody posted:

My dome is shorting out if u know what I mean

She got a mouthful?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Goober Peas posted:

She got a mouthful?

ew gross dude

i was talking about my brain

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
About to speak in front of 700 people.

Don't want to say I'm nervous, but it's in the 50s and I'm pouring sweat.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Picture everyone naked. Also don't let that thought arouse you as having a tent pole in your trousers is probably far more stressful than speaking to people.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Combining the two is where the legal grey area starts, though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

make a really awkward joke so everyone is as nervous as you are

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Picture everyone naked. Also don't let that thought arouse you as having a tent pole in your trousers is probably far more stressful than speaking to people.

Counterpoint, get horrifyingly energetically aroused. No-over will be listening to what you're saying if you repeatedly bang your boner against the lectern.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

About to speak in front of 700 people.

Don't want to say I'm nervous, but it's in the 50s and I'm pouring sweat.

Pretend you're the new presenter on Top Gear! :buddy:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And here it wasnt used to refer to a race but as an insult that someone had Down's Syndrome aka incredibly stupid.

I learned the same thing from an old book written in the early 1900s about a family surviving WW1, and after using it that way for several years was loving horrified to find out that not only was it apparently a racist thing now, no one who heard me say it had called me on my (honestly ignorant) racist poo poo. Which means either they were OK with it, or are now disgusted with my behavior and didn't tell me.

Hindsight is great isn't it?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Lil Dicky is great holy poo poo

White Dude and Save Dat Money omg

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

kastein posted:

I learned the same thing from an old book written in the early 1900s about a family surviving WW1, and after using it that way for several years was loving horrified to find out that not only was it apparently a racist thing now, no one who heard me say it had called me on my (honestly ignorant) racist poo poo. Which means either they were OK with it, or are now disgusted with my behavior and didn't tell me.

I had to take my girlfriend to the side and break it to her that saying "nig-nog" isn't exactly okay. She had just said it in front of a diverse crowd of friends. To her, it was just the word her grandpa used to call someone a dope or idiot.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rotten Cookies posted:

I had to take my girlfriend to the side and break it to her that saying "nig-nog" isn't exactly okay. She had just said it in front of a diverse crowd of friends. To her, it was just the word her grandpa used to call someone a dope or idiot.

That's one I've never heard before.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I've only ever heard it used to call someone an idiot, but the internet tells me it's also just a slur for a black person. It's short for friend of the family noggin. So..... not okay.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Adiabatic posted:

The music videos for Save Dat Money is pretty genius.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Adiabatic posted:

This is hysterical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvHYWD29ZNY

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rotten Cookies posted:

I've only ever heard it used to call someone an idiot, but the internet tells me it's also just a slur for a black person. It's short for friend of the family noggin. So..... not okay.

This is like...beyond amazing to me. From the time I was a small child I knew that was racist as poo poo.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

fetty wap is a literal rap god

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Locator posted:

That's one I've never heard before.

This is the first I heard it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm3TjRxntQk

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I've been looking for NA miata seats in tan leather, and found a pair for $200 in an ad from a local wrecker, so I called to confirm their availability.
Totally torn up, apparently. The pictures shows them in fairly good condition, so I don't know what the hell happened between photography and now, but whatever

You'd think that since NA Miatas are so popular to mod, that OEM seats would be super easy to find, and black cloth is, but oddly no other ones. Are bucket seats easy to reupholster? Because at this point, it's looking like less of a headache to just buy cloth and reskin them since I have to pull most of the upholstery off to wire the speakers anyways

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

kastein posted:

Just watch Blazing Saddles again and drink every time you hear dialogue that wouldn't ever make it onto the screen of a major studio picture in 2016.

Oh poo poo, here comes Mongo, and alcohol poisoning

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Though the American thing with hating the word "oriental" is still weird.

I'm used to people understanding that the word "Orient" just means "East". But then, I don't live in a country that rounded up people and put them in camps for looking too :japan:.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

oh jesus that was a lot of words and I didn't read most of them. That being said, there are a few ways this went wrong.
- telling everyone they're racists if they don't vote for Clinton (a snore worthy candidate if there ever was one, IMO, just more of the same biz as usual - and that comes from a guy who angrily voted for her, hoping to make the landslide against trump bigger. loving lot of good it did) doesn't work
- putting the most boring establishment politician up against a rabble rousing populist in a time of seriously increased income disparity and hopelessness at the bottom of the pay scale REALLY does not work (especially when she goes up there during a debate and says the economy has recovered - because it has for Wall St, and *average* income)
- facts vs your literal crazy maybe racist drunk uncle at christmas dinner doesn't work, nor do facts and logic work against Trump in a debate. These are, in fact, the same exact argument
- the poor bastards left behind by an increase in factory mechanization and offshoring don't give a gently caress that average income is back where it was before the real estate crash. If you smile at a debate and say average income has recovered, while it may have, 20k+80k averages to the same thing as 50k+50k and one of those cases is going to lose you half the vote
- 30 years of witch hunting tarnishes a candidate and maybe throwing out the other candidate because the party hacks wanted the "seasoned politician" in a populist political atmosphere was a big loving mistake

I had a lot of people who truly belonged in the basket of deplorables on my facebook a year and a half ago. I removed anyone who spewed bigotry, stupidity, conspiracy theories, etc and it seriously cut into the Trump camp on my facebook, but nowhere near eliminated it. After the election I asked for reasons from everyone who was left who voted for him, and though not everyone has responded yet, by far the #1 response was "Clinton is a corrupt self serving establishment politician and we need someone who can clean house in Washington". The message I agree with, what depresses me is that the messenger who has been sent is a cure worse than the disease. If we'd sent Bernie or Evan McMullin I would have been alright with it.

A good friend claimed this was his reason for voting Trump, but he's been spouting right wing crap all over FB, so...
I mean, he really hates Hillary. I don't think I could ever hate someone I've never met so much. I have to actually know a person to REALLY hate them, and even then it's more like a really intense dislike. People I've not met? Best I can do is "I really think they're saying stupid poo poo on the internet/TV/radio."

quote:

on that note, how are you all doing? I am about to disable my daily driver by swapping the exhaust manifold on it 70 miles from home the day before I have to drive it 200 miles to fly to the other side of the country for thanksgiving! :woop:

Physically? Fine, mostly. About done with this IT poo poo, and especially this outsourcing poo poo. I just thought I was marginalized before. These new pukes in charge of IT at the host company can't seem to understand why I don't think doing desktop hardware support, testing and *deployment* out of a cubical shared with a Messaging (Lotus Note) guy would work. "Well, just go to the lab to image machines." Uh, yeah. How about you let me stay in the room *that you told me I could use to store my inventory and work out of*? They wandered in here yesterday and just casually dropped that I would need to move out, because it had to be a *~lab~* not a workspace, after I asked repeatedly, met no objection, then spent the last month moving my crap down here and organizing on my own time. Christ, I'm 47 years old, treat me like an adult, you shits, not a disposable tissue. God, this is the problem with outsourcing - they don't want to work *with* you, they want to treat you like a push-button bitch that they can point at anything and not care about how the sausage gets made or who does it. I was literally shaking with rage yesterday. Ive got to get out of IT, or at least *corporate* IT, but I have no idea what a sperg like myself could do, and I need to eat/pay mortgage/provide major medical for my wife. I am so very tired, and still 18 years to retirement, IF I can actually retire.
It should be an interesting year for the host company, given that they are a major luxury goods retailer, and already hurting. They also seem to think IT is a red-headed stepchild.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Better. Still freaking out about how I'm going to pay rent for December (there's going to be a lot of begging and pleading from family, since I don't have anything of real value to pawn or sell, and my bank closed my bank account), but moral is way up now that I start a new job tomorrow.

Ouch. Maybe I should stop complaining about having a job.

Just found out from a former co-worker that he's still sick from ~something~ and back in the hospital. He lost a shitload of weight just as the outsourcing change was happening, got diagnoses with heavy-duty diabetes all of a sudden. He could barely eat. Looked to be getting better, but when I texted him yesterday, he was back in the hospital. At least he was still employed by my old outsourcing company, with half-decent insurance. He's met his max, so now he can go with full-bore whatever-it-takes.
Guess I should also be happy that I'm reasonably healthy. Just fat.

Enourmo posted:

Yall have the most respectful political discourse I think I've seen anywhere, way to reinforce my view that AI is good people.

Going to have to echo this. You guys are amazingly civil.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

Just watch Blazing Saddles again and drink every time you hear dialogue that wouldn't ever make it onto the screen of a major studio picture in 2016.

Oh poo poo, here comes Mongo, and alcohol poisoning

Well, yeah, but in Blazing Saddles, that was the *point* - to highlight what racist motherfuckers people were in the 1800s.

e: but you're right. No one could get away with that now, parody, hyperbole, or whatever.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Well, yeah, but in Blazing Saddles, that was the *point* - to highlight what racist motherfuckers people were in the 1800s.

e: but you're right. No one could get away with that now, parody, hyperbole, or whatever.

Oh, it's an amazing film that is one of Mel Brooks' greatest in a career of greats, but most of my favorite lines can't be said in public, so yeah...

IIRC, back in the day, the studio tried very hard to keep it from being released, due to how offensive it was back in the 70's

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Darchangel posted:

Going to have to echo this. You guys are amazingly civil.

Because we're all old and have been bullshitting for years, and (for the most part) agree on how people should be treated.

Everything after that is just details.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

Oh, it's an amazing film that is one of Mel Brooks' greatest in a career of greats, but most of my favorite lines can't be said in public, so yeah...

IIRC, back in the day, the studio tried very hard to keep it from being released, due to how offensive it was back in the 70's

There's a concept that boggles the modern mind: something was offensive in the '70s...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Door Frame posted:

but most of my favorite lines can't be said in public, so yeah...
I was watching Westworld, and one of the immediate things that popped into my head was, of course, "Hey! The sheriff is a [{DING}]"

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

There's a concept that boggles the modern mind: something was offensive in the '70s...

Kinda interesting to think that racial slurs could be said in the 70'sat the drop of a hat but swear? OMG YOU EVIL PERSON!!!!!!

Its kinda jarring that esp the USA has a lot of people that will avoid swearing or using the Lord's name in vain at all costs when speaking and yet in Australia? Yeah that poo poo is dropped all the time.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

scuz posted:

My current echo chamber (read: Facebook feed) is full of people saying that voting for Trump is inexcusable because such a vote de facto advocated for racism and xenophobia and empowered neo-nazis to crawl out from under their rocks and hold meetings in DC.

Honestly? They're not wrong.

Most of the Rust Belt bit on Trump deliberately and openly lying to them by saying that the manufacturing and production jobs would come back. That isn't going to happen, and the voters' willingness to ignore the open racism, religious intolerance, and misogyny of the rest of the campaign because of a desire to believe that lie doesn't make it any less true.

That isn't how you approach it with them, but it's also pretty factual, and frankly as the fascists come out of the woodwork it does need to be ground into the entire populace that this is what happens when you vote for their rhetoric. But the people who voted for Trump are, for the most part, just people. I can fully understand having reservations about Clinton, god knows I caucused for Sanders because she was too centrist for my taste, but a hell of a lot better than the guy who is currently recruiting white power leaders and already engaging in corruption involving his hotel in DC before even taking office.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 23, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Kinda interesting to think that racial slurs could be said in the 70'sat the drop of a hat but swear? OMG YOU EVIL PERSON!!!!!!

Its kinda jarring that esp the USA has a lot of people that will avoid swearing or using the Lord's name in vain at all costs when speaking and yet in Australia? Yeah that poo poo is dropped all the time.

Yeah it's a very different curse culture over there

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Darchangel posted:

About done with this IT poo poo, and especially this outsourcing poo poo. I just thought I was marginalized before. These new pukes in charge of IT at the host company can't seem to understand why I don't think doing desktop hardware support, testing and *deployment* out of a cubical shared with a Messaging (Lotus Note) guy would work. "Well, just go to the lab to image machines." Uh, yeah. How about you let me stay in the room *that you told me I could use to store my inventory and work out of*? They wandered in here yesterday and just casually dropped that I would need to move out, because it had to be a *~lab~* not a workspace, after I asked repeatedly, met no objection, then spent the last month moving my crap down here and organizing on my own time. Christ, I'm 47 years old, treat me like an adult, you shits, not a disposable tissue. God, this is the problem with outsourcing - they don't want to work *with* you, they want to treat you like a push-button bitch that they can point at anything and not care about how the sausage gets made or who does it. I was literally shaking with rage yesterday. Ive got to get out of IT, or at least *corporate* IT, but I have no idea what a sperg like myself could do, and I need to eat/pay mortgage/provide major medical for my wife. I am so very tired, and still 18 years to retirement, IF I can actually retire.

Going to say that it isn't IT so much as the company you are working for. I was in IT in my youth and ended up getting out after the dot-com bubble burst and I got laid off. Worked other fields for years until almost 6 years ago I got back into IT again. I love my job, and I love the company I work for and they treat their people very good. So I think you should start throwing out resumes and just try to find a company that's actually good to work for, rather than changing careers, unless of course you also hate the work, in which case, more power to you, and best of luck!

If you happen to live in the Phoenix/Tempe, Denver, or Columbus GA area, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll give you the info for the careers page for my company and give you a reference if you see something you are interested in.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I MAY have forgotten to check the oil in my Crown Vic for a, uh, while, which MAY be a bad thing because the oil cooler hoses leak a lot bit. The timing chains always rattle a bit when starting up, but today they were still rattling alarmingly loud when I pulled into the lot at work. Checked the dipstick, and... nothing. :bang:

Had the wife drop of a jug of oil, since she's out early today, and headed to her stepmother's to help cook for tomorrow.
The 5 qt jug now has 1 qt in it.
:stare: :gonk:

It seems to be fine, now. I definitely need to get a real oil pressure gauge in there. The factory gauge is actually just an idiot light that will point at half-way if there's any oil pressure at all. It only moves when there's *no* oil pressure. That said, it didn't move, so there was some pressure, at least at the sender.
Ugh. Wonder how many miles I shaved off the engine's life.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Tell me about it. It's hilarious how uptight we are about cussing sometime. That, and tits.

The Locator posted:

Going to say that it isn't IT so much as the company you are working for. I was in IT in my youth and ended up getting out after the dot-com bubble burst and I got laid off. Worked other fields for years until almost 6 years ago I got back into IT again. I love my job, and I love the company I work for and they treat their people very good. So I think you should start throwing out resumes and just try to find a company that's actually good to work for, rather than changing careers, unless of course you also hate the work, in which case, more power to you, and best of luck!

If you happen to live in the Phoenix/Tempe, Denver, or Columbus GA area, feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll give you the info for the careers page for my company and give you a reference if you see something you are interested in.

More the company I'm working "with", since: outsourcing, but probably so. That just adds a layer of impersonality. I think I could do well in a much smaller company, or at least one that actually recognizes the value of IT and is willing to spend the $$ on it. This company sort of grew IT organically over 109 years, and is just now realizing that they are a big company and need to put on their big company pants. That's part of the reason for all the shakeups - there's, at the same time, an anathema for the "way it's always been done", mostly from the new management folks, AND a huge amount of inertia. Lots of fiefdoms being disassembled, with much butthurt along the way.
I'm in Texas, but thanks for the offer. I appreciate you guys' willingness to help, if nothing else, as a safety valve vent.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Can you tell it's the day before a holiday, all the corporate people have left, but us contractors/outsourcers still have to hang around?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I work in IT, but I'm on the escalations support side for some enterprise/large business type stuff and it's pretty good. I like the majority of the people I work with and I can tee off on sales when they're really drat stupid. I also have enough title that usually the customer will shut up and listen when I tell them what broke, why, and how it needs to be fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Darchangel posted:

Can you tell it's the day before a holiday, all the corporate people have left, but us contractors/outsourcers still have to hang around?

I hear you buddy. Going to be me and my crew of reprobate vendors in here for the next 48 hours while all the corp employees and our management enjoy their paid holidays at home.

• Locked thread