Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Leal posted:

Operations in Battlefield 1, the emplaced weapons don't respawn nor can they be repaired when destroyed meaning once they're gone they're gone permanently. Its especially frustrating when you got a sky nerd who will immediately fly to destroy the AA turrets, and generally you're limited to 1 or 2 vehicles so if teammates took the slot for actual tanks you can't spawn an anti air truck. At that point you're going to have to small arms the planes and for whatever reason even if a guy is topping the scoreboard and constantly slaughtering groups of your teammates your teammates just wont be assed to try and shoot him down.

Air vehicles in every online shooter is the loving worst.

Your team is consistently the thing dragging the Battlefield franchise down. BF1 went out of its way to make sure when you spawn as a tank pilot, your kit is designed around you wanting to keep your tank alive. For some reason, dipshits think when the guy with the repair tool hops out, it means "get in the driver's seat and go full-speed into enemy AT."

Other thing dragging BF1 down: the glimpse of a potential campaign we got from the intro Hellfighters mission was immediately shot down in favor of more solo-soldier hero narratives. The intro provides a great blend of a narrative and the actual multiplayer mechanics, so the fact that it's just that one short segment is really blue-balling. I still like the other stories, but I wish they had played up the "there were no single heroes, just a lot of men dying for no reason" angle of WWI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Battlefield 1942 had pretty bad skynerds of its own. They got fearless to the point where they would kill infantry by swooping down at an altitude of 0.5m and ramming them with their planes. But for obvious reasons, that was an infinitely better situation than every game afterward.

Battlefield 2142 probably had the best aircraft balance because there were no jets.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm like an hour into Pokémon Sun and I don't think there has been a single solitary instance of 3D :( I know a lot of people seem to hate it but if I'm not on the bus or whatever I think it's a fun little kick for the otherwise underpowered graphics of the 3DS.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

For RTC related stuff, one large hill at the start and momentum the rest of the way is the way to build. Think of The Wild Thing: tall as poo poo, has a lot of banks and turns that help with G-forces in turns, and lots of hills that slow things down gradually until the station. If you NEED brakes instead of them being a safety precaution before returning to the station, redesign.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

John Murdoch posted:

More seriously, I don't remember if the hack itself is particularly challenging (most aren't if you hoard programs to spam), but due to the goofy way HR handles hacking upgrades, you need to invest points in a generic and lame hacking skill to be able to even attempt to hack increasingly higher level devices. The sidequest ends in a level 3 hack for no real reason, IIRC, and just roadblocks you if you don't know it's coming.
I hadn't bothered upgrading hacking stealth at all, and I just couldn't hack it quick enough to not get kicked out. I also had no nukes or AUDs.

John Murdoch posted:

According to the wiki you can just kill the dude to complete the quest, albeit without getting the full reward. Also the panel actually has a code assigned to it 1080, even though it's not listed anywhere in the game.
Yeah, I just looked up the code online.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I just wanna give a late thank you to this thread because I remember many months ago looking at Enter the Gungeon and thinking "drat I like Binding of Isaac, this game looks like it'll be my poo poo!" But then I read negative comment after negative comment that just turned me off the game entirely so thank you thread for allowing me to not waste my time playing a terrible vidyogame and instead spending that time making eloquent posts about the state of map design in bloodborne thank you.

For TRUE content I guess uhhh the last game I played was Anarchy Reigns and it was a pretty fun game especially for the $5 I paid for it. It's pretty annoying for a boss combo to take off 60% of your health but I mean that's probably my own fault for playing on hard and you usually get 3 lives anyways so whatever. It was fun :)

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

This sounds like an intentional (and really good) method of teaching the player about the benefits and drawbacks of making multiples of a ride. In future missions you will be armed with this knowledge. You really seem to be struggling with this game but keep trying, I know you can do it!

No, it's lovely because "make a bunch of the same ride" and "make a lot of money off of rides" are inherently contradictory.

The only knowledge this mission teaches is to skip it after the first two levels, or see if the unlock-coasters cheat from the Alpha days works in the final game. Maybe try a trainer or something so I can ignore money entirely and just plop dozens of each ride down.

Completely unrelated: I make more stars (currency) in the mobile game Sky Force Reforged from the hourly ad bonus than actually beating the levels.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 05:54 on Nov 23, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ArtIsResistance posted:

I just wanna give a late thank you to this thread because I remember many months ago looking at Enter the Gungeon and thinking "drat I like Binding of Isaac, this game looks like it'll be my poo poo!" But then I read negative comment after negative comment that just turned me off the game entirely so thank you thread for allowing me to not waste my time playing a terrible vidyogame and instead spending that time making eloquent posts about the state of map design in bloodborne thank you.

Yeah there's no accounting for taste in a lot of these cases but when there's a game like Gungeon that gets pretty much universally dogpiled in this thread, you can be pretty much sure it's garbage.

OTOH the poster child for this thread is Skyrim and I've dogged on that game a lot even though I have 500+ hours in it. v:v:v

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

No joke, I grab a lot of games based on posts in this and the PYF Little Things threads. It's easy to look at a game review or something to get the big picture, but the minutiae that come up during actual gameplay from the opinions of regular people is really valuable. There's even been a few cases where someone has complained about some aspect of a game that bugs them, but sounds cool to me, so I end up picking it up.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tiggum posted:

I also had no nukes or AUDs.

Oh, was the shop permanently gone due to plot?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

John Murdoch posted:

Oh, was the shop permanently gone due to plot?

I don't think I even bothered checking, because I've finished the game twice before and couldn't be bothered with unnecessary loving around. :shrug:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

food court bailiff posted:

I'm like an hour into Pokémon Sun and I don't think there has been a single solitary instance of 3D :( I know a lot of people seem to hate it but if I'm not on the bus or whatever I think it's a fun little kick for the otherwise underpowered graphics of the 3DS.

As I recall, 3D is only there for battle scenes, and only on the New 3DS. Gen 6 had 3D on the normal 3DS, too.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah there's no accounting for taste in a lot of these cases but when there's a game like Gungeon that gets pretty much universally dogpiled in this thread, you can be pretty much sure it's garbage.

OTOH the poster child for this thread is Skyrim and I've dogged on that game a lot even though I have 500+ hours in it. v:v:v

Agreed, I'm gonna keep picking on Gungeon here but from what I could tell from the trailers and descriptions and names it seemed like an awesome fun roguelike where you get to use a bunch of fantastic weapons. And then every post in this thread talks about how you're unable to use any of the fantastic weapons because the developers decided that you shouldn't be getting ammo for your guns in a game called Enter the Gungeon.

I honestly love playing difficult games but I hate playing games that are just an utter chore to play and this thread does a great job of distinguishing between the two, keep it up team!

On that note someone recommend me a game for PS4 or PS3 or even PC if it's not super modern that's difficult but fun, go go go!!!!!!!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

ArtIsResistance posted:

On that note someone recommend me a game for PS4 or PS3 or even PC if it's not super modern that's difficult but fun, go go go!!!!!!!

Funny you should ask for that because nuclear throne fits the bill and also happens to be a twin stick shooter roguelite that does things infinitely better than gungeon.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Cleretic posted:

As I recall, 3D is only there for battle scenes, and only on the New 3DS. Gen 6 had 3D on the normal 3DS, too.

I have a N3DSXL and literally the only 3D I've seen is in the camera minigame.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ArtIsResistance posted:

the developers decided that you shouldn't be getting ammo for your guns in a game called Enter the Gungeon.

They're absolutely correct. Game with a name like that, you shouldn't be getting ammo. It should be unlimited.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ArtIsResistance posted:

Nuclear Throne. If Gungeon sounded like your poo poo, Nuclear Throne is your poo poo. It's cheaper, faster, plays impossibly well even on systems made of potatoes, and it always feels like you lost for entirely justified reasons. Apart from occasionally having to discover a touch too late that enemy X or Y (or Z-BQ) explodes when it dies.

Devil Daggers. First-person swarm fighter with a goddamned perfect difficulty ramp, always just this side of 'loving impossible how the hell.' The entire game is over in less than 10 minutes but I've never survived that long. I've only ever made it to the first time a worm shows up. It seems like a nothing game, a popcorn game, and then you spend nine hours playing it and then you play anything else and wonder why it's so drat slow and why there are so few enemies to keep track of.

Also both of those games are just loving satisfying to play. Devil Daggers because its skull enemies have the best goddamned bone-clunk sound effects and its squishier effects are just gooey, and Nuclear Throne because it is so deliberately and systematically on your side against a terrifying world of pixel-perfect hit detection, tiny hit point counts and screenshake beyond the ken of mortal man.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 09:01 on Nov 23, 2016

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Somfin posted:

Devil Daggers. First-person swarm fighter with a goddamned perfect difficulty ramp, always just this side of 'loving impossible how the hell.' The entire game is over in less than 10 minutes but I've never survived that long. I've only ever made it to the first time a worm shows up. It seems like a nothing game, a popcorn game, and then you spend nine hours playing it and then you play anything else and wonder why it's so drat slow and why there are so few enemies to keep track of.

Man, Devil Daggers. My record for staying alive is 56 seconds I think.

I like that that game and Super Hexagon will take you hours and hours and hours to complete; but the total run time on a successful complete is 6-10 minutes.

Also for this thread. gently caress Super Hexagon and Devil Daggers.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Somfin posted:

Nuclear Throne. If Gungeon sounded like your poo poo, Nuclear Throne is your poo poo. It's cheaper, faster, plays impossibly well even on systems made of potatoes, and it always feels like you lost for entirely justified reasons. Apart from occasionally having to discover a touch too late that enemy X or Y (or Z-BQ) explodes when it dies.

Also both of those games are just loving satisfying to play. Devil Daggers because its skull enemies have the best goddamned bone-clunk sound effects and its squishier effects are just gooey, and Nuclear Throne because it is so deliberately and systematically on your side against a terrifying world of pixel-perfect hit detection, tiny hit point counts and screenshake beyond the ken of mortal man.

Yeah I've been eyeing Nuclear Throne for a while since the last time this thread went on a gently caress GUNGEON/roguelikes in general rant, just kinda waiting for it to go on sale on PS4 I guess. Or waiting until I feel like spending $12 on a rogue like which is tough since I was betrayed by that lame rear end binding of isaac expansion.

Devil Daggers eh? Never heard of it let's give it a look on youtube

:stare:

Apparently I had $24 in my steam wallet from selling random tf2 hats and crap. Now I have $18. I am so pumped to play this in the morning aha.

Captain Lavender posted:

Man, Devil Daggers. My record for staying alive is 56 seconds I think.

I like that that game and Super Hexagon will take you hours and hours and hours to complete; but the total run time on a successful complete is 6-10 minutes.

Also for this thread. gently caress Super Hexagon and Devil Daggers.

Super hexagon is so goddamn good. That's my only comment about it.

On an extra note does anyone know of a turn-based RPG with combat that's actually somewhat varied and enjoyable? I don't know why I'm asking this thread for game recommendations but for some reason it seems like the best place on the forums for it :v:

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

ArtIsResistance posted:

On an extra note does anyone know of a turn-based RPG with combat that's actually somewhat varied and enjoyable? I don't know why I'm asking this thread for game recommendations but for some reason it seems like the best place on the forums for it :v:

Shadow Hearts Covenant. One of the best games I ever played.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Glukeose posted:

Other thing dragging BF1 down: the glimpse of a potential campaign we got from the intro Hellfighters mission was immediately shot down in favor of more solo-soldier hero narratives. The intro provides a great blend of a narrative and the actual multiplayer mechanics, so the fact that it's just that one short segment is really blue-balling. I still like the other stories, but I wish they had played up the "there were no single heroes, just a lot of men dying for no reason" angle of WWI.

Yeah I really wanted to do a full Harlem Hellfighters scenario. For some reason I like stories that have this hopelessness in them, sort of like say Halo Reach where even though you're loving up Covenant you're only doing so much in trying to prolong them destroying the planet. If they wanted to do single man heroics I am sorely disappointed that they didn't have Anibal Milhais be one of the scenarios where you gently caress up a German attack while your allies retreat, to the point where the Germans go around you cause they think you're a fortified position.

But I guess if they put in a scenario like that they'd have to make the lewis gun (and LMGs in general) not loving suck. For some reason EA and Dice have decided that an LMG bullet should do less damage then a pistol at all ranges. And while I'm at it, the weapon choices for BF1 is testicles. You get like 4 or 5 guns between each class, and like 3 variants between each gun. You don't get to put different attachments on your guns, you have to unlock a whole gun. Want to try a new gun? 200 bucks for a factory version. Want it to have a grip and a scope? Another 200 bucks. Want to have a bipod? Buy the variant that has a bipod for 200 bucks. I unlocked the same loving gun 3 times so I can switch out for the proper attachments as needed.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

ArtIsResistance posted:

Well, ok it's... hmmm, not really turn based, but close enough- Transistor

You can play in real time, but enemies are fast and your attacks are slow, usually, so instead you activate the Turn() ability, which pauses time, lets you queue up a series of actions, then execute them at hyper speed. Then you try to survive the enemies' real-time counter attacks while Turn() recharges.

Now- some people say that the combat is not varied or fun, because you just load up the strongest attack, annihilate one enemy per Turn(), and then dash around while recharging. Those people are wrong and dumb and that load out isn't even very good.

So in Transistor, you get various abilities, about a dozen or so. You can use them straight up, OR you slot them into another one as a power-up to it, OR you can slot it into your character for a passive bonus. For example, Bounce() is, well, a bouncing projectile on its own, gives a chaining effect to other attacks, or gives your character a passive shield.

You can mix and match them to get an insane amount of different loadouts. The one-hit wonder style mentioned earlier, turning enemies against each other, summoning a helper dog (that explodes), laying down explosive minefields that drain health for you, creating a clone while you stealth away (then it explodes), or even go for broke and build a quick and speedy loadout that doesn't need Turn() at all, which uh, kind of is the opposite of your request, but still. Point is there's a lot of different ways you can approach combat- you can take it more turn-based puzzle like, or as more of an isometric action game like Hyperlight Drifter or Furi or even Bastion which is by the same developer and you're generally just shooting lasers and smashing stuff with a giant glowing computer chip sword to great music, it's fun.

Plus the aesthetic and setting is super cool, and the soundtrack is phenominal. It's kind of short though- right at the point of 'too short' and 'probably best not to overstay its welcome', and some people didn't much like the story's vagueness about a lot of things/the ending and maybe didn't like the narrator who does talk a lot in all fairness.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I have a N3DSXL and literally the only 3D I've seen is in the camera minigame.

thats because thats the only part that is 3d. it definitely seems like the game was made with porting the switch in mind what with no 3d and very little touch screen support

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

ArtIsResistance posted:

I'd kind of want a definition of 'varied and enjoyable' here, because I feel like my definition would probably vary from yours.

My definition would be Bravely Default and Bravely Second, where turns themselves are sort of a resource to manage. Taking any action except defending costs BP, which you regain at a rate of 1 per round. A character can take several turns in one round, but that's either going to require you to have defended to build up BP beforehand, or go into deficit and skip a round or two until you get back to 0. So while it is completely turn-based, there's a lot of fun and engaging nuance to the game. There's also an insanely detailed job system which gives you a lot of variance in how you can approach things.

Just, uhm... be aware when you get to them that even fans of the games agree that the back half of Default up until the final dungeon is a thing dragging it down. Personally I liked what it did near the end of that, but that does not excuse those couple chapters.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
In several recent games where "your choices matter!", the ending cutscenes is a two minutes monologue from someone over a series of static scenes.
I can't quite put my finger on it, but whereas Fallout: New Vegas managed to make it satisfying, I've been somewhat disappointed by the ones in Dishonored 2 or Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Air vehicles dominating battlefield games has been a staple since at least Battlefield 2. 1942 is the only one that ever got it right by having flak turrets everywhere.

At least in BF1 they made it so that the dedicated anti-air is actually hella powerful, killing most planes in a single pass and shaking them about so much that they can't really hit anything. Infantry weapons are also decently useful, knocking off up to ~10 health per shot. Last but not least, the big bombers are so slow that it's perfectly possible to just bloop them with a tank gun.

Of course the skylords cried their eyes out, and the very first patch included a nerf to AA. So now a bomber can just helldive right at a manned AA and kill the gunner without dying in the process. :dice:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lunar Suite posted:

In several recent games where "your choices matter!", the ending cutscenes is a two minutes monologue from someone over a series of static scenes.
I can't quite put my finger on it, but whereas Fallout: New Vegas managed to make it satisfying, I've been somewhat disappointed by the ones in Dishonored 2 or Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

I think Fallout 3 and New Vegas are the best of the "here's what you did and here's what happened" slideshow endings in games, because there's just so goddamn much stuff you can do that would likely have effects after the game is over that the list just keeps going. It's very satisfying to kick back for like 5 straight minutes and watch all the important characters you interacted with just be like "man that vault guy/man that courier really helped us out/hosed us over for the forseeable future" over and over.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I really liked New Vegas because the first time I got to the ending, it was a bunch of grand stories of rebuilding and optimism, followed by "Cass got hosed off on whiskey and lasagna and wandered off into the desert because the Courier was too busy partying with the dog to remember where she was hanging around" and a couple other "ehh the courier didn't really do poo poo here before getting distracted and leaving" stories :v:

I should boot up new vegas again :unsmith: Game's good

Veotax
May 16, 2006

CJacobs posted:

I think Fallout 3 and New Vegas are the best of the "here's what you did and here's what happened" slideshow endings in games, because there's just so goddamn much stuff you can do that would likely have effects after the game is over that the list just keeps going. It's very satisfying to kick back for like 5 straight minutes and watch all the important characters you interacted with just be like "man that vault guy/man that courier really helped us out/hosed us over for the forseeable future" over and over.

Fallout 3 didn't really do that, just New Vegas. 3 just had a small number of slides that would change depending on what quests you did but no narration describing what changed, mostly just a 'hey, remember this guy?' thing, only the ending changed the narration.

New Vegas actually had a bunch of slides like Fallout 1 and 2 that changed depending on how you completed quests and were narrated by characters involved in those quests.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ArtIsResistance posted:

Yeah I've been eyeing Nuclear Throne for a while since the last time this thread went on a gently caress GUNGEON/roguelikes in general rant, just kinda waiting for it to go on sale on PS4 I guess. Or waiting until I feel like spending $12 on a rogue like which is tough since I was betrayed by that lame rear end binding of isaac expansion.
Throne is extremely good. One of the best things about it is the way it gets around the "unfair deaths" issue inherent to any game with random generation: it's very short. I think a successful run of the entire game takes like 20 minutes or something, but you'll play for hours before you get there. It's fast and lethal and will kill you over and over, but each time you die you lose basically nothing, and restarting is very fast. It's a game that you'll sit down to play for five minutes and play for two hours instead.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Freeing stuck post.

I haven't finished Dishonored 2, but a lot of the series' cutscenes, at least in 2 and 1's DLC, are narrated slideshows, so I wouldn't say it's that out of place.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

AlphaKretin posted:

Freeing stuck post.

I haven't finished Dishonored 2, but a lot of the series' cutscenes, at least in 2 and 1's DLC, are narrated slideshows, so I wouldn't say it's that out of place.

It's not so much that it's a narrated slideshow, I think it's that New Vegas actually extends your choices into consequences whereas dishonoured 2 and mankind divided just restate them?
Mankind divided literally goes over a list of your side quests and has Eliza Cassandra on TV go "this is a thing that happened". It's a single announcer going "you sure did this thing. How does it work out? Who cares!"

I think that's it. They restate that you chose, but not what the choice meant. How it impacted the present and then the future.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Perestroika posted:

At least in BF1 they made it so that the dedicated anti-air is actually hella powerful, killing most planes in a single pass and shaking them about so much that they can't really hit anything. Infantry weapons are also decently useful, knocking off up to ~10 health per shot. Last but not least, the big bombers are so slow that it's perfectly possible to just bloop them with a tank gun.

Of course the skylords cried their eyes out, and the very first patch included a nerf to AA. So now a bomber can just helldive right at a manned AA and kill the gunner without dying in the process. :dice:

More and more evidence that Bad Company 2 was the best iteration of Battlefield. Even then, it was rife with ubiquitous snipers-glued-to-a-hill players. If they could make a Battlefield game with no sniper rifles or jets it'd be the best. Bad Company 2's recon class was at least versatile, because you could just grab a shotgun or SMG and just go to town with the sensor balls and some explosives.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Battlefield Napoleon pls. All classes have muzzleloaders accurate to 50m. No aircraft or tanks.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

My favorite way a game displayed your moral choices would have to be Bioshock 2. Why yes, I would like a statue build in commemoration of that time a spared a person, depicting me as a god.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Got Tomb Raider: No Subtitle for five bucks. Halfway through, It's alright but it definitely leans towards a 7/10.

The story would work better if it didn't play itself so seriously all the time. Lara gets impaled on a rebar, rips it out, and doesn't die of severe blood loss, organ damage, or septicemia. Her mentor loses a massive chunk of his leg to wolves and yet is able to stand and later scale a cliff.

The story is predictable. Holy poo poo, your mentor goes on and on with these inspirational words and I'm half expecting him to show as a force ghost after he dies. The beginning of the game feels abrupt as they want to put you into the action as soon as possible, and only hours later do they bother to establish who your fellow red-shirts are.

Hope you don't have a disability because these button-mashing QTEs will brick-wall you. Why does it take more than one button to stealth-kill a guy?

You can hunt animals and pick plants and all it does is give you XP, which is plentiful in supply anyway. It feels like there was a half-hearted attempt at some kind of crafting-system, but it was rendered pointless by the XP system.

There's no tension. Lara keeps making GBS threads herself at every set-piece, but when we regain control it's only a QTE and failure means no loss of progress. I died several times to the Wolf QTE because I didn't know what button to press and I couldn't help but miss Dark Souls in how every danger is organic, the control scheme never changes, and failure is always a big thing in mind.

The UI is flashy, intrusive, and tells way too much. Just glancing at the map I can tell if it's going to be an obstacle course with collectibles, a shooting-gallery with hobos, or a one-off set-piece. There are constant pop-ups about where you are now, what upgrades are available, you got a crappy detective vision, and the music spoils whenever a danger is near. The whole experience never takes off the training-wheels.

RPG elements feel redundant. There are arrows everywhere, why should I buy a perk that lets me pick up them pick them from dead hobos more often?

In my mind there is a great metroid-vania still to be made. One with a minimal HUD, little-to-no crafting nonsense, no QTEs, meaningful RPG elements, and no XP popups every time you shoot a hobo in the head. A game which is diegetic in how it delivers it's gameplay.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Nov 23, 2016

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

well why not posted:

More and more evidence that Bad Company 2 was the best iteration of Battlefield. Even then, it was rife with ubiquitous snipers-glued-to-a-hill players. If they could make a Battlefield game with no sniper rifles or jets it'd be the best. Bad Company 2's recon class was at least versatile, because you could just grab a shotgun or SMG and just go to town with the sensor balls and some explosives.
Recon was the best Assault class. Chuck Beep balls everywhere then just shotgun the gently caress out of everything.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There's no tension. Lara keeps making GBS threads herself at every set-piece, but when we regain control it's only a QTE and failure means no loss of progress.

Don't forget the climbing/running sequences where the camera automatically angles towards the next handhold or escape route, so you never have to think about what you're doing :effort:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Croccers posted:

Recon was the best Assault class. Chuck Beep balls everywhere then just shotgun the gently caress out of everything.

Yeah, that or grab the WWII-era Thompson SMG and just wreck poo poo wall-to-wall with it. You get so many balls and can throw them so far it's challenging to not top the leaderboards just from assists.

I wonder if people still play it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Croccers posted:

Recon has always been my favorite class because allowing you to pick up a carbine or shotgun made for an aggressive scout experience. Placing spawn beacons was my favorite thing to do in BF4. I think the lack of spawn gadget and weapon variety really incentivises recons in BF1 to play scumbag hillsnipers. Hopefully something an expansion can address?