Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karate Sluts
Nov 21, 2010

KiteAuraan posted:

I turn 26 in April and lose my insurance through a parent, I can't get a job to save my life, let alone one with health insurance, and if they slacken controls on pre-existing condition denials I have no idea whether or not having Autism Spectrum Disorder will gently caress me. Also, if I can't get a job and I lose my SSI and Medicaid, because you know, somewhat disabled, I am hosed. :shepicide:

All of this is why I really, really loving hate all my family that vote Republican, even though personally they're fine, caring and helpful. They just keep voting to gently caress me, over and over, in ways that actually matter.

Edit: oh gently caress when i lose my non-medicaid healthcare i also lose my brain pills. loving hell goddamn.

Right there with you. I'm on the Medicaid expansion and it keeps me in meds for bipolar

Edit: uh ed balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

gently caress off obama

Obama backed Hillary and she lost.

He should step aside and stop trying to prop up the corporate friendly wing of the DNC which has proven to have a big track record in winning elections.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fidel Castronaut posted:

RIP every course. RIP FAFSA. RIP higher learning.

Not all is lost. We'll still have some of the greatest private schools. :twisted:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Send your kids to Khan Academy.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I have yet to meet this mythical Bernie supporter that is somehow actually worse than the average American liberal when it comes to matters of minority rights. Why do democrats like this not understand that any efforts to help the impoverished, the unjustly imprisoned, the single mother, are going to overwhelmingly help racial and ethnic minorities? There's no need to say "I want to help all struggling black and latina single mothers", blacks and latinas make up a disproportionate amount of that population and everyone that's a struggling single mother deserves help. It's not queer-bashing to say that everyone who lives in poverty deserves help, even though transpeople are much more likely than average to live in poverty. I just don't understand why Hillary supporters keep inventing this straw-leftist, especially now that the race is over and abuela loving blew it on an unthinkable scale. To allude to Martin Luther King, Jr.'s comment on white moderates, as a loving Hillary supporter criticizing Bernie supporters, is the most goddamn self-unaware thing I have ever read. Hillary may have founded her campaign on criminal justice reform but her history with that movement is just as paternalistic as the white moderates who vexed Dr. King. Now more than ever we have to work together to overcome the situation we're in, and pithy bullshit like this is what got us here in the first place.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Heaven Spacey posted:

I have yet to meet this mythical Bernie supporter that is somehow actually worse than the average American liberal when it comes to matters of minority rights. Why do democrats like this not understand that any efforts to help the impoverished, the unjustly imprisoned, the single mother, are going to overwhelmingly help racial and ethnic minorities? There's no need to say "I want to help all struggling black and latina single mothers", blacks and latinas make up a disproportionate amount of that population and everyone that's a struggling single mother deserves help. It's not queer-bashing to say that everyone who lives in poverty deserves help, even though transpeople are much more likely than average to live in poverty. I just don't understand why Hillary supporters keep inventing this straw-leftist, especially now that the race is over and abuela loving blew it on an unthinkable scale. To allude to Martin Luther King, Jr.'s comment on white moderates, as a loving Hillary supporter criticizing Bernie supporters, is the most goddamn self-unaware thing I have ever read. Hillary may have founded her campaign on criminal justice reform but her history with that movement is just as paternalistic as the white moderates who vexed Dr. King. Now more than ever we have to work together to overcome the situation we're in, and pithy bullshit like this is what got us here in the first place.

Hill Folk also forget a good amount of civil rights movement was blacks wanting to have access to the same education opportunities and high paying jobs as white workers.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

punk rebel ecks posted:

What does the DNC Chair do exactly?

snakeandbake posted:

gets picked up angrily and then placed back down on the ground

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Fidel Castronaut posted:

RIP every course. RIP FAFSA. RIP higher learning.

Glad I got my degree before now cause holy poo poo

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Heaven Spacey posted:

A lot of the more entrenched hill folk were sincerely under the impression that they were more progressive than bernie supporters somehow, usually because they swallowed the "bernie bro" narrative wholesale and assumed people only liked Bernie because they hated the idea of a woman President, or because in their minds being liberal and supporting the Democratic Party leadership are the same concept.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

KiteAuraan posted:

I turn 26 in April and lose my insurance through a parent, I can't get a job to save my life, let alone one with health insurance, and if they slacken controls on pre-existing condition denials I have no idea whether or not having Autism Spectrum Disorder will gently caress me. Also, if I can't get a job and I lose my SSI and Medicaid, because you know, somewhat disabled, I am hosed. :shepicide:

All of this is why I really, really loving hate all my family that vote Republican, even though personally they're fine, caring and helpful. They just keep voting to gently caress me, over and over, in ways that actually matter.

Edit: oh gently caress when i lose my non-medicaid healthcare i also lose my brain pills. loving hell goddamn.

Maybe you should tell your conservative family about what's going to happen to you

Nothing republicans like more than an anecdote

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Atrocious Joe posted:

Parts of uk labour are good

sadly corbyn just rolled over on fuckin' everything (not opposing the IP bill, "we must respect the will of the people" re: Brexit) instead of showing an ounce of backbone. :negative:

nice trackies though

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
or maybe we actually experienced Sanders supporters and their 'no war but class war' mindset actively trying to minimize minority issues in Democratic circles during the primary and thought it was kinda lovely.

I mean, it's either 'the world is conspiring against us' or 'maybe we had some lovely people and Sanders' message could have been delivered better'.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Those sorts of people went to Trump after the primary. Either it was a blind anti establishment sentiment or whatever. They're not politically engaged and you would only find those weirdos in the deep depths of Twitter or s4p. They're rare but make a lasting impression.
Of course I'm guessing. But I'm still a little bent out of shape over Commie Ned Flanders talking about how homosexuality is a sin and blah blah after going on about equality and economic justice for months. I can imagine people talking to one huge idiot that wants economic justice at the expense of social justice and not living it down. It's unfair to paint a wide brush over "Sanders supporters"though

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tatum Girlparts posted:

or maybe we actually experienced Sanders supporters and their 'no war but class war' mindset actively trying to minimize minority issues in Democratic circles during the primary and thought it was kinda lovely.

No, I'm pretty sure it's the other explanation.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I want to know what "social justice" looks like. Because looking at Hillary it was just interchanging specific minority groups in different parts of her answers to softball questions.

"We have to help %minority% by understanding their struggles!"

Somehow that is "better" then pointing out the actual problem of billionaires and corporations not paying taxes and wealth inequality continuing to grow.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
hillary clinton lost to donald trump lmao

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I mean, it's either 'the world is conspiring against us' or 'maybe we had some lovely people and Sanders' message could have been delivered better'.

That's fair, but "I prefer white nationalists to Bernie supporters" just smacks of anger over the election results rather than any actually productive sentiment, and Bernie himself would have been a stronger civil rights candidate than Hillary.

What are some examples of economic justice rhetoric harming minority rights?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Can someone give me an actual example of "social justice" that only Hillary supported and that is opposed by "Bernie bros"?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Those sorts of people went to Trump after the primary. Either it was a blind anti establishment sentiment or whatever. They're not politically engaged and you would only find those weirdos in the deep depths of Twitter or s4p. They're rare but make a lasting impression.
Of course I'm guessing. But I'm still a little bent out of shape over Commie Ned Flanders talking about how homosexuality is a sin and blah blah after going on about equality and economic justice for months. I can imagine people talking to one huge idiot that wants economic justice at the expense of social justice and not living it down. It's unfair to paint a wide brush over "Sanders supporters"though

My wife actually ended up with a negative view of Sanders and Sanders supporters near the end of the primary, 100% because of Reddit

(Reddit ruins everything)

She of course saw the writing on the wall after the election and told me on Nov 9th that she thought the DNC poo poo the bed on the rural working class, as I was gearing up to tell her the same thing, and we're now in total agreement w/r/t the best way forward for the Dems, so everything worked out :unsmith:

(I mean, not the part where we have President Trump obviously, but everything vis-a-vis political discussions in my personal life worked out anyway)

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Powercrazy posted:

Can someone give me an actual example of "social justice" that only Hillary supported and that is opposed by "Bernie bros"?

Every minority group should have an opportunity to oppress the poor

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Powercrazy posted:

Equal pay for women.

The primary thesis of Bernard Brothers is they don't care what other socioeconomic and/or ethnic groups get as long as they get that free healthcare and college.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Powercrazy posted:

First white lady president?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ScrubLeague posted:

Equal pay for women.

The primary thesis of Bernard Brothers is they don't care what other socioeconomic and/or ethnic groups get as long as they get that free healthcare and college.

This must be true because a thinkpiece said it was true

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ScrubLeague posted:

Equal pay for women.

uh no?

https://berniesanders.com/issues/income-and-wealth-inequality/

quote:

6. Fighting for pay equity by signing the Paycheck Fairness Act into law. It is an outrage that women earn just 78 cents for every dollar a man earns.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Heaven Spacey posted:

That's fair, but "I prefer white nationalists to Bernie supporters" just smacks of anger over the election results rather than any actually productive sentiment, and Bernie himself would have been a stronger civil rights candidate than Hillary.

Yeah that hot take is dumb as all hell. The only logic behind it is a sort of accelerationism. Preferring a jolting fall in quality of thing (race relations) instead of a self normalizing slow decay.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pay equality for women was a standard item on Bernie's List Of Stump Speech Applause Lines

I literally heard Bernie say the phrase "Equal Pay For Women" out loud in person once, and thousands of "Bernard Brothers" roared approval, presumably because they were still thinking about free college or perhaps beer bongs

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

Hillary was generally more anti-gun, which I think she tried to position as a social-justicey thing (Bernie in safe cozy Vermont doesn't care about the violence in black and Hispanic ghettos)

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

theres a will theres moe posted:

Though I do hate rural white people. Everybody knows you're not supposed to say it to them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Baloogan - Fact Probator

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Heaven Spacey posted:

do you mean historic or recent?

A lot of discussion that happened when minority activists voiced their issues with what they saw as Sanders' single focus on economic justice was around the whole 'well when we fix class inequality racial inequality will go away too'. That's just not reality historically speaking, and the left rallying around some kinda 'a rising tide lifts all boats' message was a pretty big turn-off for people who have very clear memories of when the tide rose for just one chunk of Americans and was called a success.

You have examples like The New Deal having multiple provisions meant to outright ban blacks from accessing it or even in best cases just make it super hard, education reform that focuses on higher education but ignores pre-k to high school where tons of minority students are most likely to be disillusioned and ripe for dropping out of the system.

It's a reason why people reacted poorly to Bernie's 'it's not enough to be a woman' tweet, because unless we have leaders who are actually from these communities these issues get ignored while the fixes that focus on the majority get held up as grand victories. There are very very very few people genuinely saying 'being a woman' was all they wanted in a candidate, and everyone knows that because otherwise we'd have had people like Bachmann and Palin and Haley rising up in the primaries and poo poo rather than hilariously flaming out with the rest. They are, however, saying that 'being a woman' or 'being black' or 'being latino' or whatever are positive factors in a candidate they'd already support politically, and dismissing it as 'identity politics' just feeds into the idea that whatever economic justice that happens will once again be written mostly by straight white dudes with that lens defining what a 'win' is.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Heaven Spacey posted:

There's no need to say "I want to help all struggling black and latina single mothers", blacks and latinas make up a disproportionate amount of that population and everyone that's a struggling single mother deserves help.
You might even say that all lives matter.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I mean the Bernie Bro poo poo is still here on the internet for you to see, just check out Bernie's #1 fanclub over on plebbit

Low-Information Voters
Why would minorities vote for Clinton over Sanders

But yeah I don't know how I managed to whiff a key bullet point of his campaign, so I was wrong as hell about that one.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

loquacius posted:

My wife actually ended up with a negative view of Sanders and Sanders supporters near the end of the primary, 100% because of Reddit

(Reddit ruins everything)

She of course saw the writing on the wall after the election and told me on Nov 9th that she thought the DNC poo poo the bed on the rural working class, as I was gearing up to tell her the same thing, and we're now in total agreement w/r/t the best way forward for the Dems, so everything worked out :unsmith:

(I mean, not the part where we have President Trump obviously, but everything vis-a-vis political discussions in my personal life worked out anyway)

Yeah with the loss I just placed all my optimism about established dems and set it aside. It's irrelevant now because we'll never know if they'd live up to expectations in office. No sense in dying on a hill that's already been reduced to a crater.
A lot of resentment and frustration with Obama seems to be boiling over too. And I agree with it. If we're already not getting results now it's time to shoot for the moon.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i for one am shocked people write dumb stuff on the internet where you have to actively seek it out to see it

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

ScrubLeague posted:

But yeah I don't know how I managed to whiff a key bullet point of his campaign, so I was wrong as hell about that one.

Real scrub league play there

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Tatum Girlparts posted:

do you mean historic or recent?

A lot of discussion that happened when minority activists voiced their issues with what they saw as Sanders' single focus on economic justice was around the whole 'well when we fix class inequality racial inequality will go away too'. That's just not reality historically speaking, and the left rallying around some kinda 'a rising tide lifts all boats' message was a pretty big turn-off for people who have very clear memories of when the tide rose for just one chunk of Americans and was called a success.

You have examples like The New Deal having multiple provisions meant to outright ban blacks from accessing it or even in best cases just make it super hard, education reform that focuses on higher education but ignores pre-k to high school where tons of minority students are most likely to be disillusioned and ripe for dropping out of the system.

It's a reason why people reacted poorly to Bernie's 'it's not enough to be a woman' tweet, because unless we have leaders who are actually from these communities these issues get ignored while the fixes that focus on the majority get held up as grand victories. There are very very very few people genuinely saying 'being a woman' was all they wanted in a candidate, and everyone knows that because otherwise we'd have had people like Bachmann and Palin and Haley rising up in the primaries and poo poo rather than hilariously flaming out with the rest. They are, however, saying that 'being a woman' or 'being black' or 'being latino' or whatever are positive factors in a candidate they'd already support politically, and dismissing it as 'identity politics' just feeds into the idea that whatever economic justice that happens will once again be written mostly by straight white dudes with that lens defining what a 'win' is.

Oh I am very familiar with things like how the New Deal benefits and the post-WW2 GI bill almost exclusively went to white families. To your second point, having gone to school in rural south Texas I am also pretty intimately familiar with lovely public schools and de facto segregation (I'm latino). It's true that historically sweeping economic justice reform was white supremacist, just like how early workers' unions and feminist movements were also white supremacist. Modern civil rights and economic justice movements, such as those supported by Bernie Sanders, practice intersectionality, though, and frequently make reference to the needs of minorities in relation to their planned reform, so I feel it's not a relevant comparison to make. I don't think there were many people who were pulling for Hillary just because she was a woman, but I don't believe for a second that just because she's female her lived experiences would have made her a stronger candidate on minority rights than Bernie Sanders.

Lord Hydronium posted:

You might even say that all lives matter.

BLM is a necessary movement because institutional racism is epidemic in the United States, and not just in criminal justice. There are still plenty of poor-rear end whites, and to imply that they are poor because of their own mistakes or lack of work ethic or weak morals is to promote the same just-world bullshit that makes a movement like BLM important.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ScrubLeague posted:

I mean the Bernie Bro poo poo is still here on the internet for you to see, just check out Bernie's #1 fanclub over on plebbit

Low-Information Voters
Why would minorities vote for Clinton over Sanders

Again: Reddit ruins everything. Pick a viewpoint, and someone on Reddit has ruined it.

also what is up with those weird links, just link to the reddit posts you're linking to

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Real scrub league play there

Truth in Advertising

loquacius posted:

Again: Reddit ruins everything. Pick a viewpoint, and someone on Reddit has ruined it.

also what is up with those weird links, just link to the reddit posts you're linking to

I was attempting to show how these viewpoints about (((Low Information Voters))) among that group were widespread.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ScrubLeague posted:

Truth in Advertising

I was attempting to show how these viewpoints about (((Low Information Voters))) among that group were widespread.

a lot of them were also widely downvoted as far as I saw. one had like 4 upvotes, which for big subreddit like sanders4pres is pretty ridiculous

but yeah, reddit is poo poo and there's a lot of stuff that's gilded or upvoted that never should've been, and that tends to be reflected in the larger subcommunities

also, you should probably be aware that the alt-right and neo-nazis have been targeting reddit for a long time, and they would certainly try to drive a wedge between dems and minorities by posing as dems and posting hosed up poo poo. they're trying to do the same to BLM peeps now btw.

Condiv has issued a correction as of 16:51 on Nov 23, 2016

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ScrubLeague posted:

Truth in Advertising

I don't see how this is a counterargument to "Reddit Ruins Everything"

A lot of people use Reddit. Reddit is inherently echo-chamber-y. A good Reddit search will get you basically examples of every lovely opinion you can think of being espoused unironically by any group you can think of. A lot of the time, as Condiv said, those posts will be buried due to not getting support, but they're there if you search.

Also I don't see how this particular example is that damning. The top result of the one about minority voters was "why would an informed voter choose Hillary" (vote score: 0); the top comment on it was snark about the Hillary subreddit and the top comment that actually attempted to answer the question said "experience". Can you be more specific w/r/t the racist dogwhistles you were apparently hinting at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah it's probably also people falling for trolling. Everyone got trolled real hard this primary.

• Locked thread