Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Testekill posted:

They're also nigh impossible to keep in captivity because if they bump into the glass then they're probably going to die because of how fragile they are.

Good. gently caress them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

poly and open-minded posted:

Early Aborigines may have coexisted with the megalania, a larger version of the komodo dragon

... 'larger' meaning between 18 and 26 ft long and weighing somewhere between 1,200 to 4,000 lb, based on different reconstructions. We also had marsupial lions weighing up to 350 lb, carnivorous flightless birds that were 10 foot tall and weighed up to 1000 lb, 33 ft long pythons, terrestrial (ie:galloping) crocodiles up to 20 foot long ....

And that's just the poo poo we've found so far!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

... 'larger' meaning between 18 and 26 ft long and weighing somewhere between 1,200 to 4,000 lb, based on different reconstructions. We also had marsupial lions weighing up to 350 lb, carnivorous flightless birds that were 10 foot tall and weighed up to 1000 lb, 33 ft long pythons, terrestrial (ie:galloping) crocodiles up to 20 foot long ....

Good thing mankind came along to show those losers what's up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

I've been to Australia and I didn't see any of that poo poo. :colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Good thing mankind came along to show those losers what's up.

... which should probably go into the Bad rear end Thread. Plus being Australia you just know all those giant murderbeasts were probably venomous as well because we don't do things by halves here.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

terrestrial (ie:galloping) crocodiles up to 20 foot long ....

That just sounds like a mix between a croc and a goanna.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Testekill posted:

They're also nigh impossible to keep in captivity because if they bump into the glass then they're probably going to die because of how fragile they are.

At some point a creature's gotta be considered 'congealed, elemental hatred' and I think that point is 'dies on contact with an object whether it kills it or not.' That poo poo is just the worst video game enemy and nothing else.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

Here's a jellyfish less than 2cm long, completely invisible in the water, whose sting you can't even feel, but will make your heart explode.

Also, a side effect of the venom is extreme dread.

Irukandji scare the poo poo out of me.

Look how small this fucker is:

Is Cthulhu actually a giant Irukandji? IS CTHULHU REAL?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/801147316296159232?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Hahaha oh my...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That isn't schadenfreude, that's just... horror.

:smith:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Don't be ridiculous, there's no way that's real. If something like that ever happened it would produce an entire generation of publicly educated idiots who would unquestioningly believe everything they were told by an authority figure. We could never function as a society if a group like that ever gained the majority because then they would probably do something retarded like elect........ someone..... like Donald Trum:aaa:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Someone show me how to post the video on this tumblr.

For those not clicking the link, customer comes at a guy behind the counter at a fast food joint and gets laid out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

marshmallow creep posted:

Someone show me how to post the video on this tumblr.

For those not clicking the link, customer comes at a guy behind the counter at a fast food joint and gets laid out.

here

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/1234526663_what_happens_when_you_kick_a_kid.jpg.webm

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In a move that surprised absolutely nobody except his own supporters, Trump will not prosecute Hillary Clinton.

https://twitter.com/TweTro/status/801091096495280128

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/801136737321881602

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Haw haw!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Didn't he tweet something that said essentially "Oh those? Those were just campaign issues. I don't care about those anymore, I'm president now :smuggo:"

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Living in LA or deciding to travel this week, you decide.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Data Graham posted:

Didn't he tweet something that said essentially "Oh those? Those were just campaign issues. I don't care about those anymore, I'm president now :smuggo:"

When Australian politicians pull the same stunt they say that the broken election promise wasn't a "core" promise.

https://www.crikey.com.au/2014/05/21/porkies-the-biggest-broken-promises-in-australian-politics/

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FogHelmut posted:

https://youtu.be/9DMIM3iUFN8

Going home.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

FogHelmut posted:

What I have decided is that this would make a cool desktop background if it were higher res.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

I think he also said something along the "I'm President, a President can't have a conflict of interest", when asked about his business and if he'd relinquish ownership to avoid a conflict.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I think he also said something along the "I'm President, a President can't have a conflict of interest", when asked about his business and if he'd relinquish ownership to avoid a conflict.

Apparently that's true legally, but not constitutionally. But congress would have to intervene and welp

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

xergm posted:

What I have decided is that this would make a cool desktop background if it were higher res.

I think this is the source https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/801262762261291008?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Apparently that's true legally, but not constitutionally.

Like how Trump has between $1 to $2million invested in the Dakota Access pipeline and received $100,000 in campaign contributions from the company?

quote:

Trump’s financial disclosure forms show the Republican nominee has between $500,000 and $1m invested in Energy Transfer Partners, with a further $500,000 to $1m holding in Phillips 66, which will have a 25% stake in the Dakota Access project once completed. The information was disclosed in Trump’s monthly filings to the Federal Election Commission, which requires candidates to disclose their campaign finance information on a regular basis.

The financial relationship runs both ways. Kelcy Warren, chief executive of Energy Transfer Partners, has given $103,000 to elect Trump and handed over a further $66,800 to the Republican National Committee since the property developer secured the GOP’s presidential nomination.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

https://youtu.be/FvZ3DBI1tO8

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Apparently that's true legally, but not constitutionally. But congress would have to intervene and welp

Well it's one of two things:

1. It's Trump trying to say that, as President, he's got to be so concerned with the problems of the country itself that it would literally be impossible for something so insignificant as his business dealings to create a conflict of interest. A ridiculous line of bullshit that nobody could possibly ever buy, but I guess its possible he might try to float that idea.

OR

2. He's basically openly saying "gently caress you, I'm President I can do whatever I want" to the American people, which is probably more likely.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Like how Trump has between $1 to $2million invested in the Dakota Access pipeline and received $100,000 in campaign contributions from the company?

So whats the deal with the pipeline anyways? Why is everyone so bent out of shape about it? All anybody ever tells me is that "it goes close to Native American grounds" and something about water pollution which I can't seem to get a clear answer on. Is the pipeline doing the exact opposite of what its supposed to do and dumping oil back into the soil instead of transporting it across country?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Well it's one of two things:

1. It's Trump trying to say that, as President, he's got to be so concerned with the problems of the country itself that it would literally be impossible for something so insignificant as his business dealings to create a conflict of interest. A ridiculous line of bullshit that nobody could possibly ever buy, but I guess its possible he might try to float that idea.

OR

2. He's basically openly saying "gently caress you, I'm President I can do whatever I want" to the American people, which is probably more likely.

No, it's an actual legal loophole.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/trump-bush-ethics-exemption-231773

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Solice Kirsk posted:

So whats the deal with the pipeline anyways? Why is everyone so bent out of shape about it? All anybody ever tells me is that "it goes close to Native American grounds" and something about water pollution which I can't seem to get a clear answer on. Is the pipeline doing the exact opposite of what its supposed to do and dumping oil back into the soil instead of transporting it across country?

Oil and gas pipelines have a nasty habit of bursting on a fairly regular basis, even with maintenance. It's such a commonplace occurrence that they only get reported on if the rupture causes problems, e.g. the pipeline explosions affecting the American southeast in recent months.

(They already rerouted DAPL once, because the city of Bismarck were concerned about their water supply.)

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pipelines can leak. They re-routed it from the original plan because it came too close to Bismark and all of the people there were scared if it ever leaked it would enter the water supply. So they moved it over close to the Native lands, who were told "it's fine" when they said if it leaked it would screw up their land and water.
That's what I heard, I may have some details wrong though, I didn't look into it closely.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'm aware of that yes, but I think most people would say that a conscientious President would not take advantage of that loophole because of the message it would send and the perception it would create. Trump ignoring all that would most definitely be a "gently caress you" to the people.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's a concern if it fails or starts leaking because there'd be no real way to tell where.

Also the Texas oil companies have basically walked all over North Dakota so having them plow right through Native American land is kind of a concern. The fact that the authorities are doing some pretty abominable poo poo to them in response to the protests doesn't help.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Solice Kirsk posted:

The DA pipeline is just a proxy fight for environmentalists whose goal is stopping the construction of any pipelines, regardless of location. It's now flypaper for stupid hippies across the world. A friend of mine went to Standing Rock Sioux to STICK IT TO THE MAN and is now stranded in Omaha since his car broke down and he doesn't have the money to fix it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Pipelines can leak. They re-routed it from the original plan because it came too close to Bismark and all of the people there were scared if it ever leaked it would enter the water supply. So they moved it over close to the Native lands, who were told "it's fine" when they said if it leaked it would screw up their land and water.
That's what I heard, I may have some details wrong though, I didn't look into it closely.

I feel like this image is a good representation of the problem.

They rerouted the line south through Native lands because they were concerned of leaks causing issues to Bismarck's water supply. This total ignores the fact that a leak at this new location would be a disaster for the Native's water supply. It also runs through territory that is supposed to be tribal land, so the legality of the whole thing is a little questionable.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Kurieg posted:

Also the Texas oil companies have basically walked all over North Dakota so having them plow right through Native American land is kind of a concern.

I believe it's specifically not their reservation which is the problem and why they can't just tell them to get lost. It's close by.

Saint Freak has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Nov 23, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, that map looks like it just goes close to their territory. I'm sure the oil company will take care of anything that happens to the water supply in the event of a disaster. If we can't trust giant conglomerates then who can we trust?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Aerdan posted:

Oil and gas pipelines have a nasty habit of bursting on a fairly regular basis, even with maintenance. It's such a commonplace occurrence that they only get reported on if the rupture causes problems, e.g. the pipeline explosions affecting the American southeast in recent months.

(They already rerouted DAPL once, because the city of Bismarck were concerned about their water supply.)

Oil and gas companies also have a pretty good track record of neglecting pipelines and falsifying safety reports in order to save a couple bucks (and then when a burst does happen they go to the government and say "how could we possibly afford cleanup, we need you to handle that"). So yeah, the major concerns are basically that oil companies were more than willing to re-route the pipeline when the residents of Bismark were upset about safety but shrugged it off when the natives were upset about it. From what I understand they also pretty much ignored requirements from the Army Corps of Engineers to hold hearings with the tribes to address pipeline concerns and have in general just walked all over them on the project; which is par for the course with regards to tribal/US relations and they have had enough of it and are standing up for their rights. It's become more about the absurdly poor treatment of Native Americans than about the pipeline.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Also, "we" voted 2 years ago that wildlife preserves are fair game for fracking if someone finds oil there, and that we shouldn't put some of the money from oil profits aside for education.

The mailers I got from the republicans about how Teachers were actually greedy bastards who only wanted to leech money from the lifeblood of our industry were incredibly bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

I believe it's specifically not their reservation which is the problem and why they can't just tell them to get lost. It's close by.

it's not directly on the reservation, but it does cut through land ceded to the Sioux in a treaty, as the map above shows. and you may note how in the new route it crosses through like five rivers instead of none in the previous location. and the entire reason the pipeline was moved was "people in Bismarck are worried about its possible effect on their water supply" but that exact same concern gets dismissed when it's native people doing the complaining.

reminder: