Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
So apparently Polygon has gotten their hands on the expansion and has done a 'first hour of' video. I haven't watched this (yet?) but I'm guessing it's going to have hella spoilers for the first chapter or two of KOTET.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rLd8lTNZ7s

Non spoilery stuff - they've redone the menu bar (like skills, character, quest log etc) to be less cluttered.
There's some new AoE tell markers - they seem to pop from the ground now. Same shape, but they're in 3D.
Command crates drop several things at a time.
Capes seem to have improved physics, like the Vaylin set does.
An enemy bugs out through the floor and becomes impossible to target within the first 20 minutes, preventing the completion of a bonus objective.
Quest objectives marked with huge green markers.
BRAND NEW SMIRKING TECHNOLOGY

Companion combat voice lines are way, way more common than they used to be. But there aren't more of them.
Vehicle gameplay!
Characters have had their faces changed again Senya in particular is channeling Kratos quite a lot

All in all, it looks good!

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Finished Trooper.

The final mission is good but then the post-mission congratulations are extremely low effort (edit: reading up it sounds like there's more to it if you don't do the professional thing and cap Rakton at the first opportunity.)

Now to ride off into the sunset before anyone works out how big a war criminal I am.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 22, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
That is one sassy Theron.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm reading through a bunch of (2012) complaints about the Trooper story and they're all dumb as gently caress (official forums, go figure). Mostly people whining that they're choices didn't make sense when they went 100% Lightside.

What kind of way is that to play a game like this?

Also one guy mad he didn't get made a General. How exactly would the gameplay work for that?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Characters have had their faces changed again Senya in particular is channeling Kratos quite a lot

Does Senya look anything like she does in the Blur trailer? She looks so much like Jennifer Carpenter in that trailer that I'm not entirely unconvinced that they just didn't "borrow" her likeness.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Slim Killington posted:

Does Senya look anything like she does in the Blur trailer? She looks so much like Jennifer Carpenter in that trailer that I'm not entirely unconvinced that they just didn't "borrow" her likeness.

I actually saw her as a young Phoebe Cates in the trailer

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

bagrada posted:

Curious, when or for what spec does someone use a companion in tank mode? I leveled most of my characters with their companion in heal mode, its brainless if a bit slow. I know if you level up the companion's influence or are well geared you can run in DPS mode. I did that for my healing smuggler run and still had no downtime. But tank mode seems really slow. Maybe if you are the assassin/shadow with backstab abilities? Or for a group flashpoint if you are down a person?

I'm usually well undergeared so that effects my choices, I think my smuggler went from a level 20 weapon to a level 55 legacy weapon from SoR during my latest sprint to 65.

I did all of my stuff in tank mode for my operative and sorcerer.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Using a companion in tank spec is a bit slower DPS than if they're in DPS stance, but it works out well if they can keep agro off you. Good for Deception Assassin and Concealment Operative since they are reliant on backstabbing.

The nice thing about a tank companion is that even if they get down to no health, you can instantly regenerate them by mounting and unmounting real quick or dismissing the companion and summoning them back. Leads to less downtime if you don't have to heal yourself.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

bagrada posted:

Curious, when or for what spec does someone use a companion in tank mode?

With Smuggler/Operative I found it contextual on the fight. DPS is best for most situations but some fights have too many strong opponents at once that can overrun smuggler healing, and then I switch the companion to tank. I find with the heroics that about half of them can be run with the comp on DPS, the rest require tank.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

bagrada posted:

Curious, when or for what spec does someone use a companion in tank mode? I leveled most of my characters with their companion in heal mode, its brainless if a bit slow. I know if you level up the companion's influence or are well geared you can run in DPS mode. I did that for my healing smuggler run and still had no downtime. But tank mode seems really slow. Maybe if you are the assassin/shadow with backstab abilities? Or for a group flashpoint if you are down a person?

I'm usually well undergeared so that effects my choices, I think my smuggler went from a level 20 weapon to a level 55 legacy weapon from SoR during my latest sprint to 65.

I remember making a huge post about this in the old thread, but basically a tank companion is ideal for smuggler/agent and consular/inquisitor. For the ranged AC's because you can just let the companion round everybody up and then AOE them down, and for the stealth AC's they help with positioning so you can backstab constantly for maximum damage.

There's zero downtime with a tank companion. You don't take damage, and if they start taking too much, mounting heals them to full instantly. This includes rocket boost, which activates instantly and can be used indoors on a relatively short cooldown. You can cancel rocket boost with your regen ability, which tops you off and gets your companion ready for the next pull.

So it just goes kill everything, tap rocket boost, tap regen, repeat. This works for just about any class, really, but a healer is good in most situations too, and DPS is good for a lot of classes if you're doing easy stuff and neither of you is taking a ton of damage.

I like using a DPS companion with a DPS guardian/juggernaut, because even outside tank spec they are extremely resilient and don't really need a tank or healer unless you're doing really tough content.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So I'm thinking of coming back and giving this game a shot, having only got to about level 20 in a couple of the classes, just because I want a good bioware story in the star wars universe. That said, I've heard some people say the game is dead or dying, and there's no use jumping on board a sinking ship. Is this the case?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So I'm thinking of coming back and giving this game a shot, having only got to about level 20 in a couple of the classes, just because I want a good bioware story in the star wars universe. That said, I've heard some people say the game is dead or dying, and there's no use jumping on board a sinking ship. Is this the case?

If you want story what's the issue? Sinking or not you can play through 6 class stories and the Knights expansions for less than the cost of a normal game.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Short answer: No.

Having hopped around a few different servers lately just to do easy DvL stuff for free prizes, I have noticed that a few of them are truly deserted, like "I'm the only person on the fleet" deserted, but then others are thriving, so just don't pick the wrong one. Server transfers were deeply discounted for a long time, and the entire player base kinda shuffled itself off the low-pop servers. Anybody still trying to play there will probably cry about it being dead.

There's also a bit of a pre-expansion lull going on, but that's hitting in just a couple weeks. There is sure to be a big spike in activity across the board.

Now is a great time to jump on and bust out the DvL event stuff while there's still double XP, and be leveled up in time for the new content.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
The game is not dead or dying but it is transforming more and more into a single-player game with MMO elements, and the player population is following: MMO raiding fans are leaving for other games because there has been no new raid content for quite a while.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I want a good bioware story in the star wars universe.

SWTOR has this.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Well, you also need to consider Legion was released for WoW several months ago, and is focused almost entirely on group content, so yeah, that segment is leaving for the most part. Personally, as someone's who's been leveling characters, the game doesn't really feel dead to me, and that it was probably worse during the Rise of the Hutt Cartel and Shadows of Revan periods where I came back for a while.

Then again the "x" MMO is dead has been long been thrown around for every single MMO, including WoW during Warlords of Draenor and Final Fantasy XIV, so normally it's just dumb doomsaying.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Colgate posted:

Well, you also need to consider Legion was released for WoW several months ago, and is focused almost entirely on group content, so yeah, that segment is leaving for the most part. Personally, as someone's who's been leveling characters, the game doesn't really feel dead to me, and that it was probably worse during the Rise of the Hutt Cartel and Shadows of Revan periods where I came back for a while.

Then again the "x" MMO is dead has been long been thrown around for every single MMO, including WoW during Warlords of Draenor and Final Fantasy XIV, so normally it's just dumb doomsaying.

I think people were saying SWTOR was dying the week it went live. Going from what I've read over in the various 'The game is DoooOOOOOooomed' threads on the SWTOR forums, it's mostly the hardcore PvPers and Raiders who are doing the most doomsaying. As far as server population goes from my understanding, some servers got hit with a one-two punch of the cheap server transfers and the changing all servers to have a PvP mode instead of designated PvP servers so a lot of their population migrated to the better populated servers and there's no real reason to have to go to a particular server for world PvP (not that I've seen anyone actually use it beyond instance hopping in a bugged heroic where they need more spawns for a bonus goal).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It seems weird that Troopers don't meet/interact with any Jedi until Ilum.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I remember making a huge post about this in the old thread, but basically a tank companion is ideal for smuggler/agent and consular/inquisitor. For the ranged AC's because you can just let the companion round everybody up and then AOE them down, and for the stealth AC's they help with positioning so you can backstab constantly for maximum damage.

There's zero downtime with a tank companion. You don't take damage, and if they start taking too much, mounting heals them to full instantly. This includes rocket boost, which activates instantly and can be used indoors on a relatively short cooldown. You can cancel rocket boost with your regen ability, which tops you off and gets your companion ready for the next pull.

So it just goes kill everything, tap rocket boost, tap regen, repeat. This works for just about any class, really, but a healer is good in most situations too, and DPS is good for a lot of classes if you're doing easy stuff and neither of you is taking a ton of damage.

I like using a DPS companion with a DPS guardian/juggernaut, because even outside tank spec they are extremely resilient and don't really need a tank or healer unless you're doing really tough content.

Good advice, and thanks everyone else for your replies. I slowly and mindlessly did all soloable content in the game on my jedi sentinel with a companion in heal mode, including every heroic. I think the only thing I actually had trouble with was a 4 man final quest (Oricon maybe?) where the boss had a heal on a short timer, requiring more than the base interrupt. I think I finally got it by running out of melee and using my force leap as the 2nd interrupt.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

90cc cartel coin transfers from 11/29-1/18!

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

bagrada posted:

Curious, when or for what spec does someone use a companion in tank mode?

Positional DPS Trees (Lethality Operative, Deception Assassin) when you need to face behind people to kill them faster.

Also, I find it easier as a mercenary and sniper, especially with AOE Fields, that they rush my companion who just happens to be standing where the artillery is coming.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Vriess posted:

Positional DPS Trees (Lethality Operative, Deception Assassin) when you need to face behind people to kill them faster.

Also, I find it easier as a mercenary and sniper, especially with AOE Fields, that they rush my companion who just happens to be standing where the artillery is coming.

You mean concealment, Lethality can backstab from the front. :)

And with the introduction of Low Slash and Crippling Slice, positioning for backstab in solo play isn't as big a deal since you can root any non-boss mob and backstab them. Rumor has it Operatives get a utility in 5.0 that allows you to use backstab from the front after a critical hit, so I think that will be a pretty much non issue anymore anyway.

So the stream showed a bunch of the new animations - Ravage is changed to a quick multi slice, which should be a nice DPS boost, the new Powertech replacement for Death From Above looks pretty hilarious, just unloading all sorts of tech.

Life Day Cartel Market item appears to be a Wampa companion.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Do Serenity Shadows need to use backstabbing?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Chickenwalker posted:

Lord no. Half your force right there. Serenity Strike pretty much replaces backstab.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

So the stream showed a bunch of the new animations - Ravage is changed to a quick multi slice, which should be a nice DPS boost, the new Powertech replacement for Death From Above looks pretty hilarious, just unloading all sorts of tech.

No more channels will flow better from a mechanical standpoint on the other hand the Sentinel Blade Dance is my favorite animation in the game. Meh on Deadly Onslaught, lots of missles is neat but the backpack is goofy.

Also "no original comps will be coming back in KOTET." :(

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Chickenwalker posted:

Don't they get double-strike to make-up for the fact that they shouldn't focus too much on backstabbing?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Also "no original comps will be coming back in KOTET." :(

Goddamnit, that's lame.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

howe_sam posted:

Goddamnit, that's lame.

Can't say I blame them. "Not enough focus on story, too much focus on companions that aren't different enough". :(

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

More like, "the original VAs wanted too much money."

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Fuzz posted:

I feel like they lowballed a lot of the big name VAs the first outing and got really lovely performances as a result. The second stringers put in much better performances across the board I think. The weakest VAs are both Jedi, then BH, then Trooper, then (admittedly, even though a War is my main and original char) Warrior and then everyone else is pretty good. Smuggler and Agent are downright awesome. Inquisitor has some really good/funny deliveries.

David Hayter and Nolan North both sound like they straight-up don't want to be there. I've heard people say "Jedi are supposed to be emotionless!" That's not really borne out by any of the VA work for any of the other Jedi in the game. Every one of the masters is more animated and interesting than the PC, even if they are all voiced by Jennifer Hale and Steve Blum. And Jedi in the movies aren't portrayed as emotionless and wooden, except for Anakin, and that's for entirely different reasons.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Male SW and BH were both good, I thought. Male SW has great delivery throughout KotFE, too.

Overall, the male IA has always been the most impressive since he does several fake accents when he's undercover and the transitions are seamless... makes him all the more smooth.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Fuzz posted:

Going from the rumor mill on the SWTOR forums, reasons are ranging from the VA strike's hitting harder than expected to adding more new companions would have everyone forget the old companions since we're expected to have the attention spans of goldfish to there was so little planning with the KotFE storyline with so much presuming everyone would lose their minds loving it that Bioware figured they had the time and good will to really drag the storyline out. I'm going with a mix of all three since the strike's a pretty good reason for why they pulled out this KOTOR nostalgia thing out of the blue, that many Bioware fanbrats really do have the attention span of goldfish and that Bioware really is out of touch with how well their writing's regarded after all the bs with the Mass Effect and Dragon Age franchises.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Medullah posted:

90cc cartel coin transfers from 11/29-1/18!

gently caress yeah

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Depending how contracts were structured the VA strike right now might have played a big part of it as they had no issue bringing back quite a bit of people for KOTFE, though the lion share of companions that came back only occurred after Chapter IX of KOTFE also.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

They said during the stream that they overestimated how many companions people wanted to see in KOTFE. Which I agree with. The ones that were a big part of the story like Scorpio and T7 were pretty cool, but the chapter after chapter of "hey :member: Torian-more-like-borian? :member: Gault? :member: Shae Vizla?" got a bit old.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I thought Jaesa would make a return, given all her jedi talents and going through alot of trouble to get her on your side, but then I realized they'd have to write a dark side and light side version, and that is more work than any other companion they'd want to do.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't know what to do for solo content right now. :/ At least the expansion pack comes out next weekend (?) for current subscribers.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fargin Icehole posted:

I thought Jaesa would make a return, given all her jedi talents and going through alot of trouble to get her on your side, but then I realized they'd have to write a dark side and light side version, and that is more work than any other companion they'd want to do.

Plus isn't she voiced by an actual famous person?

Probably not cheap.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Fargin Icehole posted:

Unless they crapped out on that and just turned her into an older, wiser Jaessa who gave up both to instead follow some neutral path.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

sassassin posted:

Plus isn't she voiced by an actual famous person?

Probably not cheap.

She's the one who taught us what our brains were like on drugs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Medullah posted:

She's the one who taught us what our brains were like on drugs!

If Jaessa looks like her then clearly my SW made the correct choice in making her go DS despite being LS himself, just for the (loving hilarious) romance option.

... nevermind the fact that my SW's name is Dyspareunia... :gonk:

• Locked thread