Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think one of my favorite things is that Amuro gets thrown out of his chair and spends the Axis Shock, the most heroic moment in the history of the universe, awkwardly climbing over his pilot seat.

At the end of the story, regardless of how much they've grown and changed, Char is still cool and Amuro is still lame

Hey it's not amuro's fault that the feddie engineers collectively decided to get rid of seatbelts back in the zeta era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Part of being powerful on the newtype power level scale is also being able and willing to forgo logic and embrace the things your brain is telling you can't be real. This is shown in Zeta most clearly with Amuro being scared of going back into space because he knows Lalah is out there and he can't cope with logic telling him she's not. This seems tied into growing up and why the strongest newtypes are often children with only rare individuals being strong newtypes in their adulthood. Most of them just have feelings and are ace pilots pass the age of 16, but can no longer see time as they once could.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think one of my favorite things is that Amuro gets thrown out of his chair and spends the Axis Shock, the most heroic moment in the history of the universe, awkwardly climbing over his pilot seat.

At the end of the story, regardless of how much they've grown and changed, Char is still cool and Amuro is still lame

Char isn't exactly Mr Cool in that moment telling Amuro and us about his weird mother issues while this happens.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I'm still going through Zeta but I assume that Amuro and Char get married and go live out in a space cottage eventually

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm still going through Zeta but I assume that Amuro and Char get married and go live out in a space cottage eventually

Yeah, they get the one right next to Tupac and Elvis.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

It's more of a ranch so Char can ride his horsies but yes

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Char is actually very not cool thinking about it because who would ride a horse in space future but a huge dork?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

Char is actually very not cool thinking about it because who would ride a horse in space future but a huge dork?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snooze Cruise posted:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Nah that's Sanger who rides. Elzam just gets ridden.

KoB
May 1, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Nah that's Sanger who rides. Elzam just gets ridden.

He is a huge dork though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Your posting in a thread with a franchise chock fulla dork main characters friend.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SeanBeansShako posted:

Your posting in a thread with a franchise chock fulla dork main characters friend.

I think it's more "every character ever"

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

I think it's more "every character ever"
Mr. Ral is most definitely not a dork. Passionate about Gunpla, yes. But not a dork.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

Mr. Ral is most definitely not a dork. Passionate about Gunpla, yes. But not a dork.

In the middle of a battle he forgot to fight. :colbert:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

In the middle of a battle he forgot to fight. :colbert:
Counterpoint: everyone has an "off day". Even the best of us.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

AradoBalanga posted:

Talk to me about Mr. Ral's itchy bottom.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Afranchi shows that if Char had a normal childhood he might have managed to not be a sociopath.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You don't say? Not growing up surrounded by fanatics does wonders for people.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I was playing star fox 64 again and was playing sector Y. Suddenly mobile suits, and a suspiciously fast red one, with a final battle against a monkey rx-78 and white base.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I was playing star fox 64 again and was playing sector Y. Suddenly mobile suits, and a suspiciously fast red one, with a final battle against a monkey rx-78 and white base.

Yup that's there

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Playing Through G Genesis Genesis really drives home how utterly ridiculous the OYW has gotten in errata material and you can kind of trace it as it builds on itself. There are like twenty different Gundams running around and half of them have some sort of insane gimmick and then not only do you have the Exam System but Exam System knockoffs and there are like three different Gundams whose history is "was meant for Amuro Ray and then somehow stopped from getting to him." Any given major battle was apparently populated entirely by elite pilots in custom units who all managed to avoid running into each other except the rare times they run into Amuro.

Missing Link is particularly silly as you have a customize Pixie Gundam fighting a super-double plus EXAM System machine but not the original Pixie Gundam or the original EXAM machines but an entire different set that were also running around at the same time because of course there was.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm still waiting for my copy of GGG, but I can't wait to unlock all sorts of units and ask "what's that from?" until I see one I recognize.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ImpAtom posted:

Playing Through G Genesis Genesis really drives home how utterly ridiculous the OYW has gotten in errata material and you can kind of trace it as it builds on itself. There are like twenty different Gundams running around and half of them have some sort of insane gimmick and then not only do you have the Exam System but Exam System knockoffs and there are like three different Gundams whose history is "was meant for Amuro Ray and then somehow stopped from getting to him." Any given major battle was apparently populated entirely by elite pilots in custom units who all managed to avoid running into each other except the rare times they run into Amuro.

Missing Link is particularly silly as you have a customize Pixie Gundam fighting a super-double plus EXAM System machine but not the original Pixie Gundam or the original EXAM machines but an entire different set that were also running around at the same time because of course there was.

Yeah the original story of the Federation superweapon that turned the war around in the hands of young Amuro Ray loses a little tension when it turns out there were actually 50 other Gundams that were all better about 24 hours away from any given fight. All the sidestory dudes also have huge kill counts because apparently thats how you get across their badass to nerds really lazily, even it actually means that Johnny Ridden blew up 5 times more Balls than the entire population of the Earth or something.

Everyone knows Char Aznable is Charles Aznavour, but it wasn't until I read the Battle Century G/Z books that I realized that we have Amuro Ray as well. Turns out Gundam was JoJo all along.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It isn't *That* bad when you consider that by the end of the war, the technology that made the RX-78-2 such a threat has quickly become outdated, compared to newer designs like the Gelgoog. It's not the Gundam that won the war so much as it was Amuro's piloting skills, and the gigantic industrial machine that powered the Federation's counterattack following Odessa.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

That's a nice thing about From The Ashes, really. The Feddie team is "just" a handful of highly competent pilots in mass production suits.

Yeah, Zeon gets superweapons, but... it's Zeon. They crap those things out faster than the Federation can produce angsty teens.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

It isn't *That* bad when you consider that by the end of the war, the technology that made the RX-78-2 such a threat has quickly become outdated, compared to newer designs like the Gelgoog. It's not the Gundam that won the war so much as it was Amuro's piloting skills, and the gigantic industrial machine that powered the Federation's counterattack following Odessa.

Yeah, the Feddies having fifty Gundams by A Baoa Qu isn't that nuts when you remember that Zeon, who had a much smaller industrial base, had so many Gelgoogs they were running out of pilots for them. Amuro basically got a Pershing in 1942.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I still love the aspect from the books that Amuro's reflexes were so fast that the Gundam couldn't keep up with him.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I always thought that what won the war wasn't White Base or the Gundam, but the GMs and the Federation's sheer numbers. The heroes were an important part of the war, sure, bu far from the deciding factor. Makes it feel more like a real war to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azubah posted:

I still love the aspect from the books that Amuro's reflexes were so fast that the Gundam couldn't keep up with him.

That's not from the books. That's the reason he gets the Magnetic Coating because he's burning out the Gundam's joints.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I always thought that what won the war wasn't White Base or the Gundam, but the GMs and the Federation's sheer numbers. The heroes were an important part of the war, sure, bu far from the deciding factor. Makes it feel more like a real war to me.

It's a bit of both.

Amuro did not singlehandedly win the war but the White Base and Gundam had a significant impact. They got combat data for the GMs which made them more capable than they would have been otherwise and basically buzzsawed through Zeon's top aces which prevented those aces from being around during critical battles. Char probably wouldn't have won the war on his own but Char, Lalah, the Black Tri-Stars and Ramba Ral all in top of the line suits could have brutalized the Federation forces, especially post Solar Ray.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lalah and Char in the Zeong uninterrupted would've wiped out the remaining federation forces by themselves after the solar ray. I never liked anyone minimizing the efforts of White Base because they made it possible for lovely earth pilots to win.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

That's not from the books. That's the reason he gets the Magnetic Coating because he's burning out the Gundam's joints.

Wasn't that also part of why the RX-78NT-1 was built?

Man, there must have been dozens of suits made specifically for Amuro that got lost in the space-mail.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Man, there must have been dozens of suits made specifically for Amuro that got lost in the space-mail.

Job John just passively aggressively hides them because of that one time in the Gun Cannon and the fact people kept making rude comments about his name.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are at least 3:

The G-3 Gundam was the testbed for Magnetic Coating and thus effectively the RX-78-2 but with the magnetic coating being intended instead of a slapdash after-the-fact measure. Amuro actually gets this in the novel after the RX-78-2 is destroyed.
The Alex, obviously.
The Gundam Pixie which was intended to be delivered via Medea to Amuro during the Ramba Ral arc but was lost due to internal squabbling. This was basically just a higher-spec Gundam with beam knives, not a Newtype-use unit.

But yeah, the Magnetic Coating was basically a stopgap measure. The Alex was intended to be a Gundam specifically designed from top to bottom to take advantage of Amuro's Newtype abilities.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

The Gundam Pixie which was intended to be delivered via Medea to Amuro during the Ramba Ral arc but was lost due to internal squabbling. This was basically just a higher-spec Gundam with beam knives, not a Newtype-use unit.

The RX-78XX Gundam Pixie () is a prototype close-quarters combat mobile suit and is part of the RX-78 Gundam Series. It was featured in the video game Mobile Suit Gundam: Cross Dimension 0079, and was designed by Kunio Okawara. The unit is piloted by Bork Cry.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
My ace pilot is also named Bork

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The RX-78XX Gundam Pixie () is a prototype close-quarters combat mobile suit and is part of the RX-78 Gundam Series. It was featured in the video game Mobile Suit Gundam: Cross Dimension 0079, and was designed by Kunio Okawara. The unit is piloted by Bork Cry.

My pilot is also named Bork.

efb: God drat it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

My pilot is also named Bork.

efb: God drat it.

It's the best Gundam name I've ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Gundam Pixie was significantly lighter than its RX-78 brethren, due to the lack of the core block system, and as a consequence is a faster and more agile unit. However, it is relatively lightly armed, with head vulcan guns, a conventional shell-firing submachine gun and a pair of small beam daggers.

How is that supposed to be an improvement over the regular Gundam? Wasn't the beam rifle a huge deal?