Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
How many times can Barry get almost beaten to death by a speedster who is THE REAL FASTEST before it loses all impact? They didn't even bother putting bruise makeup on him this time. Caitlin had a more debilitating effect on Barry than Savitar did when she stabbed him in the leg and made him do high-speed limping (which could've been comedy gold had they thought to mine it).

Likewise, how many times can a semi-trusted friend turn out to secretly be the bad guy? Everyone and their mother called this. The only hope for that storyline now is that Julian doesn't seem to be all that into it. Personally, I'm still holding out hope for a Jekyll/Hyde situation. Also, to add another stick to the "Julian is literally just Draco redux" fire; he's the magic-wielding scion of a rich family being pressured into evil against his will by a guy who was literally referred to as the Dark Lord in this very episode.

And is it just me, or did they acknowledge in this episode that metahuman powers literally mess with your mind and alter your brain chemistry? Because that is a huge :can: to be opening with all sorts of ethical and legal ramifications-- oh, who am I kidding? They don't care. We know good and drat well they don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

I will be interested to see how Savitar plays out. At least with Zoom, before he debuted, he'd sent out all these bad guys who'd go, "Zoom sent me!" or "Zoom wants you dead!" or "Zoom is coming!" then Fake Jay explained who Zoom was, and then Zoom appeared. Whereas Savitar's showing up out of nowhere like that old beat 'em up side-scroller where you spend the game beating up poachers, then the final boss is this alien centipede monster who was apparently the true master behind the poachers for some reason.

The Adventures of Bayou Billy I think was that game.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Spergatory posted:

How many times can Barry get almost beaten to death by a speedster who is THE REAL FASTEST before it loses all impact? They didn't even bother putting bruise makeup on him this time. Caitlin had a more debilitating effect on Barry than Savitar did when she stabbed him in the leg and made him do high-speed limping (which could've been comedy gold had they thought to mine it).

Likewise, how many times can a semi-trusted friend turn out to secretly be the bad guy? Everyone and their mother called this. The only hope for that storyline now is that Julian doesn't seem to be all that into it. Personally, I'm still holding out hope for a Jekyll/Hyde situation. Also, to add another stick to the "Julian is literally just Draco redux" fire; he's the magic-wielding scion of a rich family being pressured into evil against his will by a guy who was literally referred to as the Dark Lord in this very episode.

And is it just me, or did they acknowledge in this episode that metahuman powers literally mess with your mind and alter your brain chemistry? Because that is a huge :can: to be opening with all sorts of ethical and legal ramifications-- oh, who am I kidding? They don't care. We know good and drat well they don't care.

If Wally starts murdering folks, we can probably blame it on being a metahuman speedster. Hell, Jesse has probably already racked up a body count on Earth 2. I'd also hate to see FlashDad's basement. Probably a lot of skeletons there. I guess the good part is that Barry seems to have grown out of his murdering ways, so maybe it's a temporary thing? Caution, exposure to the SpeedForce may cause homicidal thoughts and general dickishness.

Zebulon posted:

Would be a cute way of handling the whole "I vibed us fighting!" thing if it turns out Cisco is the one who goes rogue and she's trying to stop him.

I could have sworn he vibed the scene we saw, where they fought.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

greatn posted:

If my wife sets the thermostat above 75 we're getting a divorce.

Haha, seriously. 85?!?!

nooneofconsequence posted:

My thermostat is at 65.

Yeah, ours is in the 60-65 range depending on time of day.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

AbsolutelySane posted:

I thought so, as well.

It's too bad these shows are so centrally invested in the titular hero, because they all have rosters of other heroic characters who I'd love to see as protagonists for a plot or two. Killer Frost is an anti-hero at worst, and then there's Vibe and Kid Flash, or Jesse Quick or actual-Jay Garrick. But obviously, Barry has to be the focus of any given plot, because it's his show. An occasional no-Barry episode would be great, as would a Diggle-starring episode of Arrow, or a Manhunter-starring episode of Supergirl. The need to have Barry runs-fast his way to a solution steps on the toes of their world-building, after a point.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

King Burgundy posted:

Haha, seriously. 85?!?!

Wait, are we talking about heating or AC?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Xealot posted:

I thought so, as well.

It's too bad these shows are so centrally invested in the titular hero, because they all have rosters of other heroic characters who I'd love to see as protagonists for a plot or two. Killer Frost is an anti-hero at worst, and then there's Vibe and Kid Flash, or Jesse Quick or actual-Jay Garrick. But obviously, Barry has to be the focus of any given plot, because it's his show. An occasional no-Barry episode would be great, as would a Diggle-starring episode of Arrow, or a Manhunter-starring episode of Supergirl. The need to have Barry runs-fast his way to a solution steps on the toes of their world-building, after a point.

One of the best episodes of Person of Interest was from the POV of a completely new character as she embarks on a one-woman quest for vengeance/justice (justeance? vengice?), with the usual heroes reduced to helpful supporting roles at best, so this kind of thing can definitely work if done right.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

greatn posted:

Wait, are we talking about heating or AC?

Heating. In the episode last night wife tells the hubby to check the heater. It was set at 85.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Spergatory posted:

One of the best episodes of Person of Interest was from the POV of a completely new character as she embarks on a one-woman quest for vengeance/justice (justeance? vengice?), with the usual heroes reduced to helpful supporting roles at best, so this kind of thing can definitely work if done right.

Wait... what if they situated a complete episode, entirely inside a big belly burger restaurant?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

The Adventures of Bayou Billy I think was that game.

I had a look and it turns out it was game called Growl:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Piriwi posted:

Wait... what if they situated a complete episode, entirely inside a big belly burger restaurant?

I would watch an hour of different Harrison Wellses coming through and ordering burgers

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My thermostat is set to 67 and that's only because my wife thinks the kids will die of exposure if we just leave it at 60 where it belongs.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Out of all the atrocities Killer Frost's committed, that man's heating bill is going to be the worst.

I really wanted it to turn out that Caitlyn was just going ballistic because of everything that happened and once she calmed down she'd still be Frost only not psycho. I just want Caitlyn to be a superantiheroine drat it, is that so much to ask :(

Also her thing at the end of "woooo okay I'm back to me guys! You can let me out now." while the reverb was still in her voice and everyone looking at her like :what: had me cracking the gently caress up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AbsolutelySane posted:

Wasn't she full on Killer Frost in his vibe? This episode she just had some streaks in her hair and was wearing normal clothes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Wasn't she full on Killer Frost in his vibe? This episode she just had some streaks in her hair and was wearing normal clothes.

In the vibe she was full on Frost so yeah, Cisco is probably the one who goes bad. Savitar probably shows how easy it is to save Dante and that sways him.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

In the vibe she was full on Frost so yeah, Cisco is probably the one who goes bad. Savitar probably shows how easy it is to save Dante and that sways him.

Caitlyn Snow, Badass Vigilante :allears:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I thought Caitlin turned bad because she was merging with her Flashpoint self, who was bad. Isn't that how it's been working?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

AbsolutelySane posted:

Didn't look the same to me, aside it being dark out. Could be wrong though.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

rapeface posted:

I thought Caitlin turned bad because she was merging with her Flashpoint self, who was bad. Isn't that how it's been working?

speed force, explain poo poo, etc.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

rapeface posted:

I'm not a fan of the dentist either but I wouldn't say that makes her evil

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

King Burgundy posted:

Haha, seriously. 85?!?!

I'd be wearing a coat and mittens if it was 60F. Luckily I only have to put up with weather that cold for maybe a month each year. Optimal comfortable temperature is around 24-26c

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

speed force, explain poo poo, etc.

GUGGENHEIM FORCE

Our writing is poo poo.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Guy A. Person posted:

wait until you see her controversial cryogenic molar extraction process

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

So was there some reason they couldn't have just slapped the magic power-dampening cuffs back on Caitlyn as soon as she was unconscious?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Knormal posted:

So was there some reason they couldn't have just slapped the magic power-dampening cuffs back on Caitlyn as soon as she was unconscious?

I guess she had to want to turn away from the dark side.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

'How much does it hurt?'
'As much as I deserve'

Please cancel this show.

pee out my butt posted:

GUGGENHEIM FORCE

Our writing is poo poo.

Guggenheim doesn't work on Flash.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Guy A. Person posted:

Oh, right, I forgot she was pediatrician or something in Flashpoint.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ophthalmologist, people! smh

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
A pediatric ophthalmologist :eng101:

They called her Killer Frost in Flashpoint because she was always dropping :iceburn:s on the kids she treated.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Alright, I admit it, I don't pay much attention to the details because I only watch this show to see dumb speedman murder a bunch of other idiots while everyone quips at each other.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
So when does snart return so leonard and kaitlyn can compete for the guiness book of records for the most ice related puns in one show? :D

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

rapeface posted:

I guess? She's turning evil because "evil" is some scalar number that ice powers increase, apparently.

At least the heat vampire concept explains why "evil" would be a rational choice. Comics KF is perpetually suffering unless she steals more and more energy, like an opioid addict for heat. That makes her more tragic and less, "a dick for no apparent reason."

Here, it doesn't seem like she *has* to steal heat, just that freezing stuff is a thing she can do, and the more she does it, the more she wants to. It doesn't seem like she'd die or even particularly feel discomfort if she doesn't use her powers. So, what's the problem?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It didn't seem like she was so much becoming "evil" per se but instead was becoming emotionally unstable/distant. So she was willing to hurt people to get what she wanted but she wasn't out kicking puppies for fun.

Something that didn't quite seem to jibe with an earlier episode was how Julian knew who Caitlin was but didn't seem to know her personally but when Barry was adjusting to his new post-Flashpoint timeline Cisco and her said they had met Julian before.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

muscles like this! posted:

It didn't seem like she was so much becoming "evil" per se but instead was becoming emotionally unstable/distant. So she was willing to hurt people to get what she wanted but she wasn't out kicking puppies for fun.

Something that didn't quite seem to jibe with an earlier episode was how Julian knew who Caitlin was but didn't seem to know her personally but when Barry was adjusting to his new post-Flashpoint timeline Cisco and her said they had met Julian before.

It's probably not so much that they met him as that their Barry just constantly complained about Julian to them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Her powers make her colder. It's a classic dumb comics pun.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Aphrodite posted:

Her powers make her colder. It's a classic dumb comics pun.

Yeah, this. The whole "heat vampire" thing means that she has a heart...

:cool:

...of ice.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!

rapeface posted:

If the writers are absolutely terrible. I think her fear of becoming Killer Frost, going coocoo bananas was the real motivating factor, like, they've been setting it up pretty hard since Season 2. She's traumatized by a dimensional doppelganger who she fears she's fated to become. She does these things because it makes sense. She's turning into her. It allows more moral flexibility. Kinda like how muscles like this! put it.

It's only in a rare case of Barry actually not loving everything up, that lets her believe that she is not the Killer Frost she met.

I'm actually kind of liking the writing this season. I think Iris is wrong as gently caress about Barry's competence, but her point of view totally makes sense. She might just understand that the justice system does not serve minorities / outsiders well, and gently caress, meta-humans need someone to protect their human rights.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My Alchemy theory is that Earth 1 Julian isn't really him, but that an alternate Julian (Flashpoint one probably) is and that the helmet and/or gem thing somehow lets that one take him over.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Doktor Per posted:

If the writers are absolutely terrible. I think her fear of becoming Killer Frost, going coocoo bananas was the real motivating factor, like, they've been setting it up pretty hard since Season 2. She's traumatized by a dimensional doppelganger who she fears she's fated to become. She does these things because it makes sense. She's turning into her. It allows more moral flexibility. Kinda like how muscles like this! put it.

It's only in a rare case of Barry actually not loving everything up, that lets her believe that she is not the Killer Frost she met.

I'm actually kind of liking the writing this season. I think Iris is wrong as gently caress about Barry's competence, but her point of view totally makes sense. She might just understand that the justice system does not serve minorities / outsiders well, and gently caress, meta-humans need someone to protect their human rights.

I really want RIPPING OFF THE CUFFS to be Caitlyn's new LOWERING THE STRAPS (from pro wrestling). Like Vibe's gonna go bonkers, and she'll be like, "I can't do anything... *UNCUFF* BUT KILLER FROST CAN" and then goes full Elsa and oh man this is a thousand percent cooler than what we're actually going to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Am I operating on a different plane of reality from the rest of you? The Killer Frost diatribe was the worst written villain turn I have ever seen. The episode basically went like this,

1. I'm normal Caitlyn but oh no I have too use my poooooweeeers I'll go craaaaaazy
2. I'm Killer Frost and I'm just going to murder this Alchemy henchmen and try to kill Julian now because craaaaaaazy
3. I'm Killer Frost but I can't kill precious Barry who I horrifyingly maimed and tried to freeze to death just 10 minutes ago because who knows
4. I'm now normal Caitlyn again after a stern talking to, everything is forgotten and my personality is back where it started! Motivations? Who needs 'em.

Clearly this was a nuanced, complex and completely logical character development that could not have been done in any better way. We even have a villain this season who's entire superpower is his ability to turn anyone into a villain regardless of their character motivation, so why would they go for this? I get it, they've been teasing her turn for forever and this is something that they've really wanted to do but why can't they even try to come up with actual reasons for things happening? Oh wait no, this is a procedural which means that any character not a guest-actor can't ever lose screen-time for any reason. Can't give anyone actual motivations because then that reset button wouldn't be so easy to hit at the end of the episode.

Ah forget it. What I hate about this show is that unlike Arrow (which has been garbage masked by ok action scenes all along) and Legends of Tomorrow (which is great now that it's fully self-aware) it actually seemed like a decent show at some point instead of the garbage we've been fed since the season 1 finale. This show is on my short list of shows, like Dexter and Under the Dome, that I follow solely to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes.

• Locked thread