Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Trying to peel R voters dove tails with taking D votes for granted, the core problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Venom Snake posted:

You can in fact give people something to vote for while decrying your opponent. If you have a huge image problem with appearing consistent or honest then maybe being frank about your opponents would be a step in the right direction instead of "this is only slightly not okay". One of Hill's biggest problems during the campaign is she kept chasing Republican votes instead of democratic votes.

yeah, though to be honest hillary had an easy path to being considered honest, and that was releasing the wall street transcripts. she refused to do that for obvious reasons (it would've sunk her campaign and rightfully so), but it hurt her more than she thought it would imo

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Venom Snake posted:

EDIT: It's an extension of the fact that she kept saying everything is getting better or is fine. It turned off people whose economic situation is getting worse and people whose social situation is still garbage. The campaign often came off as nothing but elevator music.
yup

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Trying to peel R voters dove tails with taking D votes for granted, the core problem.
also yup

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody posted:

Find some big stupid positive message and stick to it. Hope and Change. Make America Great Again. Hammer those relentlessly, even if Hillary Clinton says that's idealistic and impossible. That seems to be a winning strategy!

Don't reach out to Republicans in terms of policy, do reach out to them by not insulting them.

You are not going to get Republicans to vote for you. Ever. You can get people who didn't vote, crossed the isle maybe once or twice. But Trump proved every R will always come home and chasing them is pointless. I agree with the positive message thing.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I agree with this dude, at least insofar as only having watched 2 of his videos. His example of talking to a group of self-described leftists unwilling to talk to the 80000 people who go the football stadium and the sports bar is exactly the mutual bubbles we need to pierce.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Notice to future dem campaigns:

Yes Stronger Together is poo poo.

Here are slogans to use next time:

- Let's Get To Work
- Ready To Lead
- Time To Get It Right

If you find a candidate with some crazy balls and charisma?

- Don't get fooled again

Or comedy option:

- Everything That Guy Said Was Bullshit (with picture of smiling Joe Pesci in Cousin Vinny attire)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

yeah, though to be honest hillary had an easy path to being considered honest, and that was releasing the wall street transcripts. she refused to do that for obvious reasons (it would've sunk her campaign, rightfully so), but it hurt her more than she thought it would imo

Hillary also could've appeared honest by not supporting the Iraq War before being opposed to it, not championing TPP before being tepidly opposed to it, and not suddenly supporting gay marriage the exact second it became more politically harmful for her to oppose it than to support it.

I gotta be honest, dude, I don't think there's any good way for Clinton to appear honest.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Condiv posted:

yeah, though to be honest hillary had an easy path to being considered honest, and that was releasing the wall street transcripts. she refused to do that for obvious reasons (it would've sunk her campaign and rightfully so), but it hurt her more than she thought it would imo

What I don't understand is if Hillary was so well vetted why weren't these transcripts considered as a liability?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Powercrazy posted:

What I don't understand is if Hillary was so well vetted why weren't these transcripts considered as a liability?

the vetting process was the dem establishment saying "well she got second place in the 2008 primary so clearly we have to make sure she's next in line"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

I gotta be honest, dude, I don't think there's any good way for Clinton to appear honest.

This is because she isn't an honest person.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Venom Snake posted:

You are not going to get Republicans to vote for you. Ever.

Negative campaigning pretty much only drives down turnout, but there's a limit. When Republicans literally believe that the Muslim family across the street is planning jihad, they're going to vote like their life depends on it.

Vote [Democratic Candidate] 2020
The life you save could be your own.

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?

Condiv posted:

Also,
"We need to overturn Citizens United and make sure Americans' voices are heard in our elections and not the corporate donors."
*runs a campaign with a SuperPAC spending billions in corporate donations*

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Guy Goodbody posted:

Hillary also could've appeared honest by not supporting the Iraq War before being opposed to it, not championing TPP before being tepidly opposed to it, and not suddenly supporting gay marriage the exact second it became more politically harmful for her to oppose it than to support it.

those other ones she probably could've gotten away with. her wallstreet speeches were too recent and tied to an economic catastrophe. i dunno how she thought she could make a bunch of money in paid speeches to these groups and that no-one would ask what she said

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Subjunctivitis posted:

Also,
"We need to overturn Citizens United and make sure Americans' voices are heard in our elections and not the corporate donors."
*runs a campaign with a SuperPAC spending billions in corporate donations*

To be fair she was the first person against citizens united

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

bump_fn posted:

the vetting process was the dem establishment saying "well she got second place in the 2008 primary so clearly we have to make sure she's next in line"

Fun Fact: This election is the second time Hillary has won the popular vote while losing in delegates/EV's. :v:

firebeats
May 8, 2016

Fullhouse posted:

I think this is the biggest lesson for me from this election, rhetorically: nobody loving cares if you're right

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Fullhouse posted:

I think this is the biggest lesson for me from this election, rhetorically: nobody loving cares if you're right

I can't believe fishmech's entire life is a lie

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

LinYutang posted:

little known fact: barack obama won two elections by scremaing "I'M INTERSECTIONAL' at a bunch of iowa farmers

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

To be fair she was the first person against citizens united

she flip-flopped like crazy so it's not hard to imagine she warmed up to the decision when she's taking bagfulls of rich donor money. it's also really ironic that her and her supporters insisted that all these bribesdonations were necessary to win, and then she lost to the cheeto benito who spent less than her

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah knowing about the inner workings of her campaign I think she would only go against it if she thought gop still had advantage with mega donors.

But another silver lining is that yes now we know that sort of money isn't required

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I can't believe fishmech's entire life is a lie

the worst part is fishmech is rarely right!

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah knowing about the inner workings of her campaign I think she would only go against it if she thought gop still had advantage with mega donors.

But another silver lining is that yes now we know that sort of money isn't required

there's a whole lot of political thought that got torn to shreds by this election

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

:agreed:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Condiv posted:

she flip-flopped like crazy so it's not hard to imagine she warmed up to the decision when she's taking bagfulls of rich donor money. it's also really ironic that her and her supporters insisted that all these bribesdonations were necessary to win, and then she lost to the cheeto benito who spent less than her

i mean if she used the money properly, she might have actually won. spending money in texas, la, nyc were all terrible dumb moves lol

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also like whatever millions she spent on like the 20 people running her campaign and the 20 consulting firms she probably used

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

anime was right posted:

also like whatever millions she spent on like the 20 people running her campaign and the 20 consulting firms she probably used

and whatever she blew on poo poo like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H51HuNX41Fg

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schnorkles posted:

there's a whole lot of political thought that got torn to shreds by this election

Feels more and more like she ran a very very bad low energy campaign which cost her the election instead of reality breaking or w/e. Trump got less votes than McCain did and Hillary is on track to preform better than Obama did in 2012 with the popular vote. So maybe next time not run your campaign with morons like Mook in charge and play it safe with fortifying your strongholds instead of not doing that because reverse psychology.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Venom Snake posted:

Feels more and more like she ran a very very bad low energy campaign which cost her the election instead of reality breaking or w/e. Trump got less votes than McCain did and Hillary is on track to preform better than Obama did in 2012 with the popular vote. So maybe next time not run your campaign with morons like Mook in charge and play it safe with fortifying your strongholds instead of not doing that because reverse psychology.

theres this too

it'll get sorted out in the next year or two and i'll read about it in a journal when someone is willing to have a conclusion

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Schnorkles posted:

theres this too

it'll get sorted out in the next year or two and i'll read about it in a journal when someone is willing to have a conclusion

well, if journals still exist in trump's america

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Condiv posted:

i would not mind it much if every person that had something to do with the making of this video suddenly developed excruciatingly painful cancer

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schnorkles posted:

theres this too

When I found out Mook was put in charge when he orchestrated the dems biggest congressional reversal in 2010 I was livid.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Venom Snake posted:

Yea this. Trump didn't "win." Hillary lost because she is a terrible campaigner, politician and person.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

Yea this. Trump didn't "win." Hillary lost because she is a terrible campaigner, politician and person.

shes not a terrible person, and hating her personally is weird

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Condiv posted:

There's got to be a campaign finance record showing this expense somewhere.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Venom Snake posted:

It seems everyone ran a bad campaign except Trump...

I think the big issue was this was a change election and Hillary Clinton was the furthest away from a change candidate possible.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Montasque posted:

I think the big issue was this was a change election and Hillary Clinton was the furthest away from a change candidate possible.

Obama is charismatic as gently caress but I am still baffled about how little he did

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

http://observer.com/2016/11/confessions-of-a-millennial-hillary-supporter/

quote:

'I was for Hillary, but I was never truly with her. I knew in some detached way I would vote for her. That seemed like enough. But I was not active in my support for her—none of my college friends were. Our generation failed in this election.'

lol

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013

Schnorkles posted:

democracy proves yet again that "the least bad system of government" is all too often just the worst.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

bump_fn posted:

Obama is charismatic as gently caress but I am still baffled about how little he did

It's a bit hard when the House absolutely refuses to even hear any of your bills, and even then in the 2 years he did have time to do something we had Joe loving Lieberman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Montasque posted:

It seems everyone ran a bad campaign except Trump...

thats definitely part of it, though i think "change" is putting it very broadly. youve gotta feed each faction in your coalition some meat, and the "working class" faction starved. it wasnt just whites, her advantage in some extremely poor, extremely latino (95%) areas was also slimmer than obama's

the low-income trump supporters voted against their own interests, of course, but the fact that theyre rubes doesnt fundamentally change anything. obama was able to speak to them, and obama had an ~55% approval rating on November 8.

"money for retraining" is what was offered (vaguely), and it is a repellent message. "give up your lives and livelihoods, middle-aged voters, and we'll pay for you to learn to program" is not only as infeasible as building the wall, it's a slap in the face. people dont want to leave their towns or their family or their jobs, these are the things that give them dignity and make them feel whole!!!

• Locked thread