Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Wow that would be f-ing horrible. VR has roughly 1/10th the res per eye degree compared to normal desktop 1080p gaming. Also the headset on your face is not comfortable. I could see using it in some extremely niche scenarios and it's good they are doing it but no one will want to do this often at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I don't think anyone is going to use that. Unless you have an awful TV, you're taking a huge hit in resolution to play on a huge screen.

e: what he said ^^

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I'm the guy with a $1000 headset, a $2000 PC, an xbone and a poo poo TV.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-unspoken-wizard-duels-with-your-friends-in-vr-/2300-6435889/

Here's a full match for the Unspoken. Looks pretty hectic. I kind of wish there was less of a focus on teleporting back and forth between platforms

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Oculus Touch is available on Amazon, if anyone cares. I'm sticking with the official Oculus.com order, since they don't collect tax and Amazon does, but maybe you have some Amazon credit.

Speaking of, Amazon is giving a free $10 gift card if you buy a $50 gift card, for first time gift card buyers, and DiscoverCard is giving 5% cashback on all Amazon purchases (including gift cards) if you opt-in on the discover site, so you could stack all that for some decent savings.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Oculus just emailed to say they're shipping 'very soon'. Expecting it before easter.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lol holy christ doom 3 is terrifying in vr. i jumped right into the alpha labs levels and was a-ok until it actually got dark. the sound design is impeccable and just adds to the poo poo your pants horror.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Oculus just emailed to say they're shipping 'very soon'. Expecting it before easter.

Yeah, Easter... 2018

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Edit: Never mind

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 24, 2016

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I mean surely, surely Oculus won't gently caress it up again, right? Still tempted to go with Amazon since they probably have a set stock, though I don't know what "released" means. I just want it ASAP.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

AndrewP posted:

I mean surely, surely Oculus won't gently caress it up again, right? Still tempted to go with Amazon since they probably have a set stock, though I don't know what "released" means. I just want it ASAP.

Oculus and Amazon won't charge until they ship, so you could always place an Amazon order and keep whichever one ships first, and cancel the other.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

The Walrus posted:

lol holy christ doom 3 is terrifying in vr. i jumped right into the alpha labs levels and was a-ok until it actually got dark. the sound design is impeccable and just adds to the poo poo your pants horror.

Why did Doom 3 have to be like the only game to not get discounted on the Steam Sale :x

I mean, I know it's only $20, but I was hoping to grab it at a big discount on the sale just in time for the VR mod.

km2
Jul 27, 2012

Bremen posted:

Why did Doom 3 have to be like the only game to not get discounted on the Steam Sale :x

I mean, I know it's only $20, but I was hoping to grab it at a big discount on the sale just in time for the VR mod.

I got you covered. $6.29 from GMG
https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/doom-3-bfg-edition/

Just bought it from them right now.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I just got the new Samsung Gear Vr and its pretty fun to gently caress around with.

Any recommendations that aren't on every beat of list?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Quidthulhu posted:

I just got the new Samsung Gear Vr and its pretty fun to gently caress around with.

As a Rift owner, I don't know much about GearVR best of lists, but a couple of ports I enjoyed are Dead Secret and Darknet. DS is pretty cool if you are into adventure games with a slight horror bent to them. Darknet is a cool hacker-type puzzle game. And make sure you check out Altspace too, it's a free social vr app that is a pretty cool experience with some fun party-type games.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Quidthulhu posted:

Use the Cardboard Camera app to take pictures of places you visit on trips and stuff, then you can see them in the Oculus Photos app. It works surprisingly well

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Lemming posted:

Use the Cardboard Camera app to take pictures of places you visit on trips and stuff, then you can see them in the Oculus Photos app. It works surprisingly well
Seconding the cardboard camera app. Even if you don't have a 360/vr device, it's a really cool memento to have saved for when you do. Brings back so much more memories and feeling to a trip or vacation if you can be transported back there for a little while.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hi I ordered a vive and it's getting here Monday and I was just wondering a couple things. Does the light houses really need to be up high or can I get away with putting them on my desk and a bookcase shelf. Mounting them up high would be a lot less friendly to my space and on my desk would work better if I want to do seated because I was told I could just turn one of them and seated only needs one lighthouse?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

As long as the lighthouses have line of sight to the headset/controllers, you're probably fine.

You'll likely still want to use both lighthouses even if your plan is just to do seated stuff, though. The Vive doesn't have any sensors on the back, so if you're only using one lighthouse, you could potentially run into tracking issues if you turn to look behind you and the headset suddenly loses sight of the sole lighthouse.

This is also partially why mounting them up high is recommended. Less chance of something/someone getting in the way and blocking line of sight between the headset and lighthouses than if they're sitting on the floor and looking up or whatever.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I get what you are saying but sadly I'm kinda limited in what I can do for my space. For a seated wand or seated controller game sitting in the middle of the play space would totally work and still have both lighthouses. But for something like a flight sim I can't really move my hotas to there. I'll just hope for the best.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Poetic Justice posted:

Oculus and Amazon won't charge until they ship, so you could always place an Amazon order and keep whichever one ships first, and cancel the other.
This is exactly what I've done. My Rift didn't arrive till mid June, and the shipping estimate for my Touch order is still something like 6th-16th December, so leaving an order with Amazon seems sensible especially considering I haven't heard anything about Oculus's shipping plans.
Seriously though they must have some proper estimates of their stock on launch day by now right? The thing seems to have been effectively finalised for loving ages at this point.

e: the bigger problem is that I've only just reached Novigrad in Witcher 3, so I don't know if I'm gonna be finished by Touch launch. Must not stop playing...

e2: four games/apps come free with Touch; Dead & Buried, Medium, Quill (beta) and Robo Recall (launching Q1 2017). Two more (The Unspoken and VR Sports Challenge) with all preorders - including retail preorders.
Also just saw that all Touch's (?) come with a Rock Band VR connector lol. Slightly random.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 24, 2016

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Young Orc

El Grillo posted:

Are there any XBone exclusives actually worth playing?

Forza Horizon, Halo, Killer Instinct, Sunset Overdrive, Dead Rising, Rare Replay, Ori, and Gears are all great games. Sea of Thieves is coming and also looks pretty interesting.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

I get what you are saying but sadly I'm kinda limited in what I can do for my space. For a seated wand or seated controller game sitting in the middle of the play space would totally work and still have both lighthouses. But for something like a flight sim I can't really move my hotas to there. I'll just hope for the best.
When you say kinda limited, do you mean in terms of screwing things into walls or what? If you just have them sitting loose then 1) the vibration is gonna cause insane tracking drift, and 2) if you accidentally nudge the lighthouse on your desk its going to make you throw up and you'll probably have to run room setup again. Having a lighthouse mounted on the wall above you and looking down is really the best possible setup for seated

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

Forza Horizon, Halo, Killer Instinct, Sunset Overdrive, Dead Rising, Rare Replay, Ori, and Gears are all great games. Sea of Thieves is coming and also looks pretty interesting.

It's alright for back catalogue stuff but anything new is going to be released on PC too, in which case you can ditch the streaming stuff and run it using Virtual Desktop or similar.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

cheesetriangles posted:

The lighthouses will work as best they can wherever they are, it's just that the better view they have (and mounted near the ceiling pointed down at an angle is pretty much the best possible), the better tracking will work. If you've already ordered the Vive, I'd suggest just putting them wherever and trying it, and if you get a lot of occlusion (the controllers flying off into space for a second) then you might want to look at moving them.

Also be warned, the base stations can't be allowed to move, which might be a problem with sitting them on a desk. If they move when you're not using the Vive, then the calibration will be off; it will think your play area/walls are in a different position. If they move while you're using the Vive, imagine all the fun of a major earthquake combined with your stomach immediately going into full reverse.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
When I set up my vive, I used a bunch of boxes and such to mock up the locations to see if it'd actually *work* first. No point in drilling holes in walls if you're not confident it'll work.

Once I was happy, I mounted them to the walls. I think if I wasn't getting tracking issues from vibrations shifting the lighthouses (relatively thin floor), I'd have been lazy and left them like that.

Biggest issue I've had is reflective surfaces. The entirety of one of my walls is one of those ugly mirrored built in wardrobes, so for a temporary solution I took said boxes, cut them up and taped them over the fuckers. Ugly as hell, but my controllers don't bugger off to the moon if I approach them. Think I'll get the woman to craft up some kind of tasteful solution..

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So is all of this business about drilling holes in your house due to the fact that this is a first generation device? I love the idea of VR and want to see it succeed, but I'm not so crazy about breaking out power tools so that I can play video games better.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So is all of this business about drilling holes in your house due to the fact that this is a first generation device? I love the idea of VR and want to see it succeed, but I'm not so crazy about breaking out power tools so that I can play video games better.

I used to have wall mounted, but now I've got one of my light houses on a shower rod turned tall-ways, from floor to ceiling, and it works better than ever. I've been meaning to swap over the other one, but there's no real need yet.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
^^No drilling required for the Rift. For the Vive Lighthouses, you could always use a mic mount of something similar.

I know most of us already have a headset, but for the next :siren: 5 hours :siren: amazon has a pretty amazing deal
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1M4XYA/

$999 gets you a Rift, an Oculus-ready PC (with RX 480), EVE: Valkyrie, and $100 Oculus Store credit.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Camera tripods work pretty great for Vive lighthouses.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I dont have any wall holes drilled. I screwed them to chunks of 2x4 and put them on the shelf and they seem fine. I do wish I had spent $30 on contractor poles when I got the thing though, they are super convenient for setup and tear down and easy repositioning in a wide variety of spaces.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I bought a stud detector and a small black and decker drill and I am just going to wall mount them. I've never drilled into a wall before so I was just kinda scared to do it. The other on I am going to screw into a tall bookshelf opposite corner.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

cheesetriangles posted:

I bought a stud detector

Hey sup?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Poetic Justice posted:

^^No drilling required for the Rift. For the Vive Lighthouses, you could always use a mic mount of something similar.

I know most of us already have a headset, but for the next :siren: 5 hours :siren: amazon has a pretty amazing deal
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1M4XYA/

$999 gets you a Rift, an Oculus-ready PC (with RX 480), EVE: Valkyrie, and $100 Oculus Store credit.

Nabbed one of these for my parents. My dad used to play Myst with us when we were kids and my mom really likes Space Pirate Trainer lol

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Are the Rift cameras liable to need the same altitude as the Vive lighthouses?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Are the Rift cameras liable to need the same altitude as the Vive lighthouses?
There aren't that many people out there yet with the hardware needed to do a proper test. My gut feeling is that sticking them up high will still be optimal, but placing them lower will likely be just fine as well, especially if you're using their recommended room-scale setup of 3 cameras.

The Rift cameras also have the benefit of not having any moving parts, which means they don't need to be secured in place like the lighthouses. This makes just sticking them on a shelf/dresser/desk/whatever much easier. You still don't want to put them anywhere they're likely to get nudged accidentally, though.

We're less than two weeks away from the first consumer Touch units starting to ship out, so if you're in the market for a headset but are on the fence about which one, I'd suggest a bit waiting to see how things shake out.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

cheesetriangles posted:

I bought a stud detector and a small black and decker drill and I am just going to wall mount them. I've never drilled into a wall before so I was just kinda scared to do it. The other on I am going to screw into a tall bookshelf opposite corner.
Okay, don't do what everyone does and go from the pilot drill bit to "what size you *think* it is", and don't drill too deep. I've lost many a wall plug into walls due to that fuckup. What I tend to do is make the pilot hole, then start scaling up the drill sizes until the wall plug fits snugly.

My other option was to have gone out and get 3M VHB tape and just stick the lighthouse brackets to the wall, but this is a rented property and the VHB tape would probably take the paint with it. Holes I can fill in and paint over much easier.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

OK people, this is the correct way to wall mount the lighthouses.

1. Throw the included drywall anchors in the trash
2. Buy a pack of these:

3. Screw them directly into the wall, they are self-drilling
4. Profit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Yes, def should wait five years before doing something crazy like putting a few holes in your walls

Was this posted? Will Smith is Kickstarting season 1 of the FOO Show. $20 gets you the first five episodes. Based on the Firewatch episode it's totally worth it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/willsmith/go-inside-your-favorite-video-games-with-the-foo-s

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 25, 2016