Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Marlows posted:

The Democratic Party survived after being widely viewed as the party of secession and slavery, survived the Republican national dominance in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, survived the complete disasters of 1920 and 1924, survived the landslides of 1972 and 1984, and survived the southern strategy.

I think it's a little unreasonable to suggest that Hillary killed the Democratic Party.

We are in a bad spot, but we've managed worse.

at none of those times did the opposition have as much control as the GOP now does

at all of those times a set of norms and unwritten rules governing the bounds of acceptable behavior held that do not now hold

the first priority of republicans now in office will be to crush the ability of democrats to rebound via any voter suppression schemes they can dream up, and they will all be upheld by courts packed with republican appointees

democrats may eventually crawl back into power but it'll require a level of economic devastation so intense that the republican base abandons them en masse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

at none of those times did the opposition have as much control as the GOP now does

at all of those times a set of norms and unwritten rules governing the bounds of acceptable behavior held that do not now hold

the first priority of republicans now in office will be to crush the ability of democrats to rebound via any voter suppression schemes they can dream up, and they will all be upheld by courts packed with republican appointees

democrats may eventually crawl back into power but it'll require a level of economic devastation so intense that the republican base abandons them en masse

so 2024 by the latest

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

SpaceGoku posted:

so 2024 by the latest

I figure the US defaults by 2018.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Assuming this is Yglesias' way of saying "heh but this was in her platform!! Go visit hillary.com and check it out!"

Of course the point is that it helps when your candidate (a) actually believes in their platform (b) can convince others that they believe in it (c) actually talk about it consistently and boldly.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Hi I'm Hillary Clinton, you may remember me from such primary hits such as chafing over the idea of $15 minimum wage, and secret meetings with rich bankers. But today I'm here to talk to you about

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Assuming this is Yglesias' way of saying "heh but this was in her platform!! Go visit hillary.com and check it out!"

Of course the point is that it helps when your candidate (a) actually believes in their platform (b) can convince others that they believe in it (c) actually talk about it consistently and boldly.

Bernie had 1 speech and gave Clinton a run for her money. Trump had 1 speech and won. What is so hard to figure out about this? The average voter does not give a gently caress about your detailed policy positions. Mostly just in stark disbelief at how Clinton loyalists can't see the obviousness of it all, but I suppose that's why she lost in the first place.

THE RENT IS TOO drat HIGH

Aurubin has issued a correction as of 06:59 on Nov 24, 2016

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Aurubin posted:

The average voter does not give a gently caress about your detailed policy positions.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

I am so confused by this article and whatever point it tries to make, I just know it's really loving dumb.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
maybe the fact that this thread is in constant whiplash between 'we needed to get our policy out clearly and with lots of detail to show the people what we offered' and 'lol no one cares about policy all you need is one real good stump speech you're willing to jam into literally every situation you can and you can do anything you want' is a perfect microcosm of the actual conversations being had over this election.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Having something as part of your officual policy document, and having it be the thing you are actually running on, are two very different things.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

maybe the fact that this thread is in constant whiplash between 'we needed to get our policy out clearly and with lots of detail to show the people what we offered' and 'lol no one cares about policy all you need is one real good stump speech you're willing to jam into literally every situation you can and you can do anything you want' is a perfect microcosm of the actual conversations being had over this election.

Its a drat shame no one in this thread is actually arguing either of those positions to my knowledge.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Either one probably would've been better than Clinton's clever scheme of neither

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

Either one probably would've been better than Clinton's clever scheme of neither

agreed

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Aurubin posted:

Bernie had 1 speech and gave Clinton a run for her money. Trump had 1 speech and won. What is so hard to figure out about this? The average voter does not give a gently caress about your detailed policy positions. Mostly just in stark disbelief at how Clinton loyalists can't see the obviousness of it all, but I suppose that's why she lost in the first place.

THE RENT IS TOO drat HIGH

I don't think it's that 'the average voter doesn't give a gently caress about your detailed policy position', it's that 'if your policy position sounds too much like the fine print on a loan agreement, it's probably a position that's going to gently caress you'

I think there's a difference between being able to speak to details if and when pressed, versus turning every speech in to an exercise in pedantry.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Hi I'm Hillary Clinton, you may remember me from such primary hits such as chafing over the idea of $15 minimum wage, and secret meetings with rich bankers. But today I'm here to talk to you about

don't forget taking a neutral stance on the dakota access pipeline while the cops were shooting at them

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

Yinlock posted:

how much did you donate to the jill stein audit money machine

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Only US $20. It won't change the outcome of the election, but it's a small price to pay in order to undermine the coming administration.

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Guy Goodbody posted:

:same:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i want to expand on this: as a note, the reason the DNC became such poo poo in 2010 is that the Clinton machine started staffing it with establishment types whose primary loyalty was to Hillary to lay the groundwork for her 2016 run and make sure the deck was clear of rivals

that meant suppressing any possible insurgency from the left, and it's why the only leftist challenge she had was from an indy

this really is all HRC's fault, her ambition killed a centuries-old party

I'll post this again.

EDIT - Just started listening to Chapo Trap House. It is great!

punk rebel ecks has issued a correction as of 08:18 on Nov 24, 2016

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Rand alPaul posted:

I figure the US defaults by 2018.

yeah who the HOECK knows cuz like, 20 years ago the repubs had a bunch of old boys who were like, in on the joke, and knew how to govern, dog kicking scowlers who just wanted more money and if their dicks still worked, more 18 year olds to gently caress

(they didn't choose to govern in a way that would benefit 80% of americans but they knew how to do it if they had wanted to)

now the repubs are all granny strangling dog biters who believe with their whole heart all the crazy poo poo the last generation of repubs said, lunatic tooth stealers who literally have no experience in governing, becuse they spent the last 8 years putting their asses in seats and not-governing instead

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

"in fact, if you check our website you see that..............................................................."

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

"in fact, if you check our website you see that..............................................................."

this was a microcosm of her election probs for sure

just loving beat people over the head with "more cash 4 u idiots"

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/801509332886179841

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

nice

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
every day in every way im happy trump won

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
no thx
im moving into rural canada and burying crates of soviet surplus battle rifles and infowars food

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
my infowars brand giger counter is reading "It is decidedly so" atm

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

Only US $20. It won't change the outcome of the election, but it's a small price to pay in order to undermine the coming administration.

How does reconfirming that Trump won undermine anything (always assuming Stein doesn't just pocket your cash.)?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

zen death robot posted:

You're moving here and being forced to work as a Walmart greeter for $8 hr in Trumps America

Lol if you think they'll still pay a generous $8/hr after the Republicans repeal the federal minimum wage.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

while this is good don't forget the much more ownage policy explanation of "i wrote about that in my book"

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Baloogan posted:

my infowars brand giger counter is reading "It is decidedly so" atm

Careful, those things leak

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I bought a Giger counter. At first I thought it was a cheap knockoff, but the screams have built steadily since His victory.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

hahaha

literally infants throwing a tantrum

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

How does reconfirming that Trump won undermine anything (always assuming Stein doesn't just pocket your cash.)?

If Stein rips off a bunch of Hillarymen over pretending to do get a recount, she (1) owns (2) is more ready for Trump's America than most.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

zen death robot posted:

You're moving here and being forced to work as a Walmart greeter for $8 hr in Trumps America

During the American invasion of Canada Baloogan will be spared similar to Gendry from GoT since he will tell Warboss Trump he has a useful trade aka sewer inspector.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

kind of off topic but i listened to some more chapo trap house and 1. theyre pretty good 2. they have to be old lf posters or something

i even chipped in to their patreon, which is the first one of these kickstarter things ive ever done and i feel dirty

Felix has mentioned Something Awful posts before, and definitely lurked or posted here.

2017 will be The Year of The Dirtbag Left

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Condiv posted:

hahaha

literally infants throwing a tantrum

lol onastic gaming aeries

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Don't know if this was posted here. Worth a read imo.

How Half Of America Lost Its F**king Mind

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Dante80 posted:

What's the dateline on the article? Add about six minutes

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

theflyingexecutive posted:

What's the dateline on the article? Add about six minutes

Makes sense. Does anyone have the first post on it? Would like to read the discussion from there on (I'm 3000 posts behind right now T_T)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dante80 posted:

David Wong is good. Also this article is completely correct.

That timelapsed map of new businesses slowly concentrating into the biggest urban counties is a pretty good visualization of how capital accumulation slowly erodes the countryside, and even turns former cities into economic abandonment zones.

• Locked thread