Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
I'm confused with the Verizon Black Friday trade-in deal.

According to their statement here: http://www.verizon.com/about/news/get-all-best-phones-including-verizon-exclusives-next-gen-network-0-black-friday-weekend

It says "Starting online tomorrow and in stores on Black Friday, get an iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, Pixel, Phone by Google, Pixel XL, Phone by Google, Moto Z Droid, Moto Z Droid Force, Samsung S7 Edge, Samsung S7 at no cost with no money down when you select device payment and trade in one of 13 eligible phones.* "

Does this mean that I can trade-in my paid off Galaxy S6 and get a Pixel for free?
I'll be charged the cost of the phone but it'll be subsidized completely over two years?
And if I end up getting another phone before the two years is up, as long as I'm still with Verizon, I'll keep getting those credits until the balance is paid?
Surf Rock's post mentions having to pay part of the cost of the phone but I understood it as those costs are only for the monthly payment plan ($10/$15).

If it is indeed free, I'm most likely going for the Pixel. My S6 is slowing down and it's also too small on storage (32gb).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Well, let's see if we can keep this simple. I'll use the pixel 32GB as an example.

Black Friday promo link: https://www.verizonwireless.com/deals-landing/

All promos are on getting phone on device payment over two years. There's no other option to get promotions.

Therefore, all promos are buying the Pixel on installment plan, I.E. $27 a month over 24 months. If you want to put money down towards the phone, sure, you can always do that, but it doesn't make a difference.

All plans can do installment plans. The only exception is if you have combined billing with a Fios landline account, you have to remove combined billing first.

The promos are a credit towards payment plan over 24 months. Therefore, the promo of "pay $10 a month for a Pixel" is $27 a month for the phone, minus $17 a month.

You can also get trade in of phone. Phone trades are $100-300 depending on phone. So if your trade in is a $300 value, it's minus an extra $12.50 a month, which is then $0 monthly. And honestly, I'm not sure what the conditions are on trade in prices myself, so that's all I can tell you. I'll try and figure out more on that, but I likely won't know until I look at it Friday, and Friday is a crazy mess for me.

All credits take 2-3 months to show up. All credits back date on that 3rd month, so it is a full 24 months worth of credits.

All promos are both in store and online. Thankfully, say what you want about the company, but Verizon likes their employees (and saving money) so there are minimal stores open on Thursday. I am sure as hell not working Thursday.

So to emphasize: it's payment of full retail over 24 months, with credits that minimize or $0 out payment. IF YOU CANCEL EARLY ALL CREDITS GO AWAY. IF YOU BUY OUT EARLY TO GET OTHER PHONE ALL CREDITS GO AWAY.

Hopefully that helps.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Further link: FYI Verizon is offering $200 visa gift card for new numbers switched to Verizon.

Yes is combines with the trade in and discount promos.

http://www.verizon.com/about/news/get-all-best-phones-including-verizon-exclusives-next-gen-network-0-black-friday-weekend

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 24, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Wonder how much a Sony Z3V trades in for now.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
So I was trying to get 2 pixels for my two lines. One is upgrade eligible, while the other would only be upgrade eligible on 12/07. But yesterday I logged on to my account and it said that I had an offer to upgrade this line early. Cool, I thought. Then I logged on today and that offer was gone. Is there some way to get stuff like that back? Customer service seems to be closed for the day, but there is one store around me open, but I don't know if it is worthwhile going there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

joepinetree posted:

So I was trying to get 2 pixels for my two lines. One is upgrade eligible, while the other would only be upgrade eligible on 12/07. But yesterday I logged on to my account and it said that I had an offer to upgrade this line early. Cool, I thought. Then I logged on today and that offer was gone. Is there some way to get stuff like that back? Customer service seems to be closed for the day, but there is one store around me open, but I don't know if it is worthwhile going there.

Worthwhile going to it if it's a corporate store, not if it's a reseller.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Worthwhile going to it if it's a corporate store, not if it's a reseller.

Crap, only resellers. Im traveling most of the day tomorrow. For whatever reason if I try to shop on bestbuy, they allow the pixel deal on the early upgrade line, but I don't know if they are just pulling the upgrade from the line that is eligible or if they do not care about the upgrade status, and best buy doesn't allow purchasing 2 phones at the same time, apparently.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
They do have a deal on the Pixel XL, although definitely not as sweet as the Pixel deal. I think I'm gonna upgrade both of my lines to Pixels. Too good to pass up, yknow?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wickerman posted:

They do have a deal on the Pixel XL, although definitely not as sweet as the Pixel deal. I think I'm gonna upgrade both of my lines to Pixels. Too good to pass up, yknow?

Screen sizes are so close anyway.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Thanks for the clarifications Duckman2008. Now that the deal is live on the Verizon site, the promo tooltip also makes it much more clear.

The only snag is having to keep/use the phone for the full two years but then again, I'll have it for at least a year so the remaining year balance (if I change) shouldn't be much.

vv Yikes. Yeah missed that part.

hmmxkrazee fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 24, 2016

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

hmmxkrazee posted:

The only snag is having to keep/use the phone for the full two years but then again, I'll have it for at least a year so the remaining year balance (if I change) shouldn't be much.

From the wording of the promo and the last part of Ducks post you would be on the hook for half of the full retail price after a year. That's not exactly cheap

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Duckman2008 posted:

Screen sizes are so close anyway.

I'm now the proud owner of two new black Pixels.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

So if my wife and I both have IPhone 5S, we can trade those in for free IPhone 7s? Or will it just take some off of the cost and that will be added to our monthly bill?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

So if my wife and I both have IPhone 5S, we can trade those in for free IPhone 7s? Or will it just take some off of the cost and that will be added to our monthly bill?

Honestly don't know, I thought the promos we looked at on Wednesday were all Android only, but it reads as iPhone. I would just stop by or call tomorrow.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
After a lot of clicking, I finally found this in a pop up regarding current trade ins when getting a iPhone 7:

quote:

Trade in Apple iPhone 6S, 6S Plus, 7 or 7 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+, Galaxy S7, Galaxy S7 Edge or Note 5, LG V20 or G5 or Moto Droid Turbo 2 and pay $0

Trade in Apple iPhone 6, 6 Plus or SE, Samsung Note 4 or Galaxy S5, LG G4 or V10, or Moto Droid Maxx 2 and pay $100

Trade in Apple iPhone 5, 5c or 5s, or Moto Droid Turbo and pay $350
So looks like (over 24 months) you'd get $300 for a 5-series iPhone.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Duckman2008 posted:

Well, let's see if we can keep this simple.

Hi, saw your post in the recommendation thread, and thought I'd ask a few questions here:

So I'm a Verizon customer on a family plan (unlimited talk and text, looking to add data) with an old Samsumg Brightside that's due for an upgrade, looking to upgrade to a smartphone. I get the $10/month Pixel deal, but are there any other discounts I can get on top of that? What's the best deal I could get on an XL? I'd like to get a 128GB, but the 50% price increase just for storage kind of puts me off. Is my old brightside worth anything on trade-in? Does the $100 upgrade credit work with the Pixel deal?

Thanks!

edit: Also, what's everyone's experience/preference with the Pixel versus the XL?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

FYI the Galaxy S7 is available for the same price as the Pixel. That's what I just snagged.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Frog Princess posted:

FYI the Galaxy S7 is available for the same price as the Pixel. That's what I just snagged.

:o:

e: crap, can't find the emote on my phone

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

literally this big posted:

Hi, saw your post in the recommendation thread, and thought I'd ask a few questions here:

So I'm a Verizon customer on a family plan (unlimited talk and text, looking to add data) with an old Samsumg Brightside that's due for an upgrade, looking to upgrade to a smartphone. I get the $10/month Pixel deal, but are there any other discounts I can get on top of that? What's the best deal I could get on an XL? I'd like to get a 128GB, but the 50% price increase just for storage kind of puts me off. Is my old brightside worth anything on trade-in? Does the $100 upgrade credit work with the Pixel deal?

Thanks!

edit: Also, what's everyone's experience/preference with the Pixel versus the XL?

No there is no value for your bright side.

If you are on an old minutes plan there is an increase for getting a smartphone. Any current plan there isn't. you should be on a new plan unless you have unlimited data anyway.

The Pixel is a 5" screen, the XL is 5.5". Personally, I don't think it's a big difference and for most people, I would take the better deal. But if screen size is extremely important you can get the Pixel XL, you'll just pay more. But it's the same phone otherwise.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Is there any kind of trade in deal for the Droid Turbo right now? I have been messing with the website and it's kind of confusing, I'd like to get the Pixel and it says I can get it for $350 but the credit makes it less than that? I'm confused.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Is there any kind of trade in deal for the Droid Turbo right now? I have been messing with the website and it's kind of confusing, I'd like to get the Pixel and it says I can get it for $350 but the credit makes it less than that? I'm confused.

Jesus please read my posts like, 6 posts higher on this thread.

Also, apparently I am getting anger out of my system now so that I don't scream at customers tomorrow.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
No, your turbo has like a 35 or 45 dollar trade-in. Sell it third party to get a bit more out of it.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Duckman2008 posted:

Also, apparently I am getting anger out of my system now so that I don't scream at customers tomorrow.

You're a lifesaver, thank you for explaining the details on this.

I'm trying to figure out if the "pay $650 upfront to get a Google Pixel XL w/128GB , get the difference between that and $360 credited to your monthly bill over the next 24 months" deal mentioned in this article would count as purchasing a smartphone on device payment. I'm going to be switching to Verizon from Sprint, so I'm trying to figure out if that's a way I can get both the Pixel XL at the discounted rate and the $200 Visa prepaid card.

Would that work, or do I need to go for the normal Pixel and do the $15/mo 24-month plan to qualify for the Visa card? Also, do I have to trade in my old phone to get the Visa card? My parents are staying on Sprint and I'd really like to give my current phone to my dad so that he can finally stop having a flip phone in the year 2016.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

surf rock posted:

You're a lifesaver, thank you for explaining the details on this.

I'm trying to figure out if the "pay $650 upfront to get a Google Pixel XL w/128GB , get the difference between that and $360 credited to your monthly bill over the next 24 months" deal mentioned in this article would count as purchasing a smartphone on device payment. I'm going to be switching to Verizon from Sprint, so I'm trying to figure out if that's a way I can get both the Pixel XL at the discounted rate and the $200 Visa prepaid card.

Would that work, or do I need to go for the normal Pixel and do the $15/mo 24-month plan to qualify for the Visa card? Also, do I have to trade in my old phone to get the Visa card? My parents are staying on Sprint and I'd really like to give my current phone to my dad so that he can finally stop having a flip phone in the year 2016.

The only condition on the gift card is you port from another carrier and start a new line of service on phone payment plan. That's it.

The Verge is loving retarded , don't read their synopsis. You get either the bigger discount ok the regular size Pixel, or smaller discount on the Pixel XL. That's it. You get whatever phone on phone payment plan over two years. No need to put down $650 whatever dollars.

My advice is there isn't a big difference on the Pixel vs Pixel XL to justify the price difference, and don't read the verge lol. Buy a regular Pixel, get a really awesome monthly discount on it, get a $200 gift card, and give your old phone to your dad.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Duckman2008 posted:

The only condition on the gift card is you port from another carrier and start a new line of service on phone payment plan. That's it.

The Verge is loving retarded , don't read their synopsis. You get either the bigger discount ok the regular size Pixel, or smaller discount on the Pixel XL. That's it. You get whatever phone on phone payment plan over two years. No need to put down $650 whatever dollars.

My advice is there isn't a big difference on the Pixel vs Pixel XL to justify the price difference, and don't read the verge lol. Buy a regular Pixel, get a really awesome monthly discount on it, get a $200 gift card, and give your old phone to your dad.

Oh snap, got it. I first heard about the deal on their site, so I guess I was giving their lovely description too much credence.

I'm jazzed as gently caress about this, thanks again for providing so much clarification about how these deals work.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Hey, Duckman - take your time in replying to this, seeing as I'm sure today's gonna suck for you, but how could I go about getting a "Long Time Customer"/"Loyalty" discount on my plan, and can/does that stack with a preexisting 15% Employee/Federal Gov't discount? I'm just looking for ways to slightly mitigate the fact that I can't really take advantage of the BF promo on my pending PXL 128GB order.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Hey, Duckman - take your time in replying to this, seeing as I'm sure today's gonna suck for you, but how could I go about getting a "Long Time Customer"/"Loyalty" discount on my plan, and can/does that stack with a preexisting 15% Employee/Federal Gov't discount? I'm just looking for ways to slightly mitigate the fact that I can't really take advantage of the BF promo on my pending PXL 128GB order.

The 15% discount doesn't work on the payment plan, sadly. The Verizon rep I spoke to on Wednesday implied that my similar discount may even end up getting removed if I started the payment plan option. :smith:

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Do the deals only work in store? I tried looking online, and when I got to trade-in/upgrade my wife's 5s to the 7, it quotes me $65 for the trade in and full price for the phone otherwise. Also, when I look at the Pixel, before logging in it says $10/mp, but if I log in, it goes up to $27/mo. Also, are the deals good all weekend, or just today?

nerox
May 20, 2001
Went to Verizon this morning at 8, cancelled my pixel xl 128 that's backordered, and picked up a pixel 128 that I have today for a great price. This phone is so much smoother than my note 4.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Just wanted to confirm I didn't gently caress this up... it says I'm eligible for the discounted price, but then till cites the $31 monthly price as what I owe. I assume the little proviso about 2-3 billing cycles is why I'm seeing the full value instead of the discounted one? If so, do they reimburse you the extra you pay for 2-3 cycles or is that just extra cost I'm eating because Verizon is a bunch of dicks?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Thanks for being wrong + an rear end in a top hat so I went to the Verizon store, waited in line and got nothing today A++++ advice Duckman

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

Thanks for being wrong + an rear end in a top hat so I went to the Verizon store, waited in line and got nothing today A++++ advice Duckman

Are you saying they gave you a sweet trade-in deal or that they weren't willing to give you the BF deal? Was it a corporate store? Always go to a corporate store.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Fuzz posted:

The 15% discount doesn't work on the payment plan, sadly. The Verizon rep I spoke to on Wednesday implied that my similar discount may even end up getting removed if I started the payment plan option. :smith:
I'm probably missing something, but why wouldn't an employer discount apply? The discount goes towards the data plan only, not the line access charge or device payment plan, so ...?

Also we have the same fed employee discount and one line on a payment plan (with a similar to the current promo cash-back deal) and that seems to work fine

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Droid Turbo 2 is listed in his post as one of the trade-in phones, not the Turbo 1. So you're mad that they wouldn't give you credit for it? Did you even read his post?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

El Disco posted:

Droid Turbo 2 is listed in his post as one of the trade-in phones, not the Turbo 1. So you're mad that they wouldn't give you credit for it? Did you even read his post?

I did, then I asked for clarification because the Droid Turbo is listed on other sites, including verizonwireless.com, and he told me to read his post (where he was wrong.) The issue was that they are offering $100 for the Droid Turbo but they will not apply the amount toward the payments and it wouldn't reduce it at all.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
So they were willing to give you $100 statement credit for it regardless of what you bought/didn't buy?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I swear I'm not being obtuse, I'm just trying to understand what exactly they were offering you in store vs what we know now. It would probably help others who are trying to figure out the same thing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I'm probably missing something, but why wouldn't an employer discount apply? The discount goes towards the data plan only, not the line access charge or device payment plan, so ...?

Also we have the same fed employee discount and one line on a payment plan (with a similar to the current promo cash-back deal) and that seems to work fine

Yeah, I meant that the discount doesn't apply to the payment plan itself, just your access. My discount is still the same with the new phone payment plan. Had to use the chat feature to have a rep not change my service plan on it, but it all worked out.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Scooped a Pixel today. I like it a lot. Went in to get the Pixel, but I started leaning towards the XL after fiddling with them both, but the rep said I'd have to trade in my current device (6P) in order to get the deal price on the XL. Opted to keep it and got the Pixel instead. I think I made the right call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text

Chu020 posted:

Do the deals only work in store? I tried looking online, and when I got to trade-in/upgrade my wife's 5s to the 7, it quotes me $65 for the trade in and full price for the phone otherwise. Also, when I look at the Pixel, before logging in it says $10/mp, but if I log in, it goes up to $27/mo. Also, are the deals good all weekend, or just today?

Ugh, just looked again and under the quote it says 'employee price.' Does that mean that since I'm getting a corporate discount on the plan that I'm not eligible for any of the promos? Ugh.

• Locked thread