Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

homullus posted:

City states and barbarians and trade routes are more interesting in 6. The split in the tech tree and the technology boosts also mean there's a little more variation from game to game. Civ V is further developed in every other way (for now).

You can alt-tab out of this game while you're waiting for your next turn without it making GBS threads the bed like Civ 5 did.

I've been playing this game for a week now. The endgame sucks, as does forced micromanagement by not being able to automate builders. Everything takes WAY too long to produce. Why does it take 25 turns to produce a unit when it only takes 7 to research its replacement? It's either that everything takes too long to produce, or is too easy to research. Sea tiles without resources are useless. They're actually a liability. It's more to your advantage to build a city inland with only 1 hex on the ocean for a harbor.

And don't get me started on the bugs. "Your pissant neighbor you conquered down to one city remaining only needs one more civ for a cultural victory!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

My naturalist must be bugged, I can't get it to make a park ANYWHERE.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Remember that all four tiles must be owned by the same city, and that the diamond must be vertical for some reason.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

Madcosby posted:

So I have like 100 hours in Civ4, and skipped Civ5 entirely, and jumped into Civ6

I thought I was having a decent time with Civ6, but Civ5 is on sale so I thought I'd check out what I'm missing.

Only about 3 hours in, but I'm liking it a lot. Seems like a better single player experience than Civ6, in fact I cant think of anything Civ6 does better. Its kinda nice ignoring districts

It's different. I guess Civ5 might be the best civ in the series but I'm still not gonna go back to it just cause I'm so sick of the 4 city tradition turtle metagame that BNW settled on.
I much prefer the amenity/housing system in Civ6, and the district system makes buildings an interesting choice as opposed to civ5 where many buildings have absolutely no drawbacks and you must build them every game (the science, food and production buildings), some are situational and depend on your strategy/surroundings (happiness, culture and faith buildings, and yield buildings like stone works), and some are pointless (stuff like windmills and police stations).

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I thought it was bugged in my first game, but they're just SUPER picky about the requirements. A tall diamond, all belonging to 1 city, no improvements, all Breathtaking. The Eiffel Tower and one of the great people give wide flat buffs to Appeal. If you've got a naturalist selected, all possible sites in your land will be highlighted with a thin white outline.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I thought Kongo's yields for relics, sculptures, etc would be super useful early game but nope not at all unless you somehow get a relic early on it's kind of hopeless. You can get an early great writer because he earns those GP points twice as fast, but great works of writing don't get bonus yields for him so :smith:

Getting the impression that any civ with a unique district is automatically a strong civ.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

kid sinister posted:

You can alt-tab out of this game while you're waiting for your next turn without it making GBS threads the bed like Civ 5 did.

VI supports windowed borderless mode. That's worth the upgrade.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Mizaq posted:

But it's from that one city with Great Zimbabwe, correct? If you are using trade routes to boost new and un/underdeveloped cities, then I believe you have to sacrifice that +10 gold route for some food and hammers.

Yeah, this is the problem. Most people usually want those food and hammer routes propping up their cities. I've played a few games now, with normal resource allocation, and this was the first time I had ten bonus resources in range of my capital to make the one super-city strat viable.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Staltran posted:

Remember that all four tiles must be owned by the same city, and that the diamond must be vertical for some reason.

huh! Okay. Thanks.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Also with national parks remember that you have to manually clear the tiles to make it eligible. He wont over write existing improved tiles

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jastiger posted:

Weird, i didnt have an option to use that casus belli at all the entire time it was under attack. Of course he declared war on me soon after capping it, but still.

Maybe you have to denounce first?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ccubed posted:

Doesn't liberating a conquered City State reduce Warmonger points?

Afaik liberating any city reduces war mongering.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So is the game extra crashy now? I played it when it came out and it never crashed once. I heard there was a patch so i thought I'd try some more, this game now crashes on the same turn no matter what.

Edit: 3 times. Also turns take like 3x longer than they did before the patch. gently caress it, back to dwarf fortress it is.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 24, 2016

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
i want to play this on my laptop is the OSX port total poo poo? The trackpad is bad when I boot windows.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/si...dCaCFGStSLU4ObA

40 bucks through Gamestop right now.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gamestop carries such niche games as Civilization VI? :stare:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

shipping a million units as of three weeks ago does not qualify this game as 'niche'

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Efexeye posted:

shipping a million units as of three weeks ago does not qualify this game as 'niche'
It does if you carry as few games as gamestop does. :colbert:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I really wish Great Musicians, Writers and Artists had the same secondary functions they had in Brave New World. Once you run out of slots for Great Works I'd trade Chaucer for a giant gob of culture any day.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Poppy Nogood posted:

i want to play this on my laptop is the OSX port total poo poo? The trackpad is bad when I boot windows.

The OSX port is fine but they gently caress us over with patch delays

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Is there any way to check the type or age of other civs' great works before you trade?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
What's the right way to go about a domination victory? Nobody's picking a fight yet, but I'm ready to start throwing punches. For minimal bad PR, do I denounce, wait five turns, and then declare war?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

prefect posted:

What's the right way to go about a domination victory? Nobody's picking a fight yet, but I'm ready to start throwing punches. For minimal bad PR, do I denounce, wait five turns, and then declare war?

How far ahead are you? How many other Civs are there? They'll all hate you for taking cities anyway so how you wardec doesn't really matter in mid-late game.

Make sure you don't accidentally hand someone a religious victory by conquering everyone else and then them converting your cities.

For the last couple Civs just capital snipe.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times but I can't find the answer. Is this generally considered a Good Game? I am not much of a PC gamer (last game I bought was Civ 5) and saw it was on sale and wanted to give it a shot. Surprisingly my PC can run it on recommended specs.

I have no interest in online, just single player.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

counterfeitsaint posted:

So is the game extra crashy now? I played it when it came out and it never crashed once. I heard there was a patch so i thought I'd try some more, this game now crashes on the same turn no matter what.

Edit: 3 times. Also turns take like 3x longer than they did before the patch. gently caress it, back to dwarf fortress it is.

Judging from what I've heard here and a couple other forums, no, it's not extra crashy now. I think you were just lucky enough to avoid the gamestopper bugs before the patch

Speculation: GeForce released a new driver for Civ 6 a while back in anticipation of this update. Firaxis added DX12 support. While some have seen improvement from starting in DX12, a good few have reported slower frame rates and turn times. It might be worth briefly checking out if DX11 or 12 runs clearly faster for you. The difference for most of the results is pretty marginal but if you've got some conflict here, switching between the two might make it obvious. If there's no obvious difference, then don't waste your time on Civ 6. It'll probably be a must play around the time of the first or second expansion.

I'm playing it a little more, but I just won a roguelike gamekey so I'll be checking Cogmind out instead.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gentlemen, I would like to propose the theory that the Chinese are Wonder-mongering Assholes.

To support this theory, I present to you Exhibit A:

While I'm here I might as well present Exhibit B:

For reference, Petra was gonna take 365 turns for the city to build on its own.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 25, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times but I can't find the answer. Is this generally considered a Good Game? I am not much of a PC gamer (last game I bought was Civ 5) and saw it was on sale and wanted to give it a shot. Surprisingly my PC can run it on recommended specs.

I have no interest in online, just single player.

Its just like 5. It came out a little rough, and you'll probably eventually hit a wall before putting it away waiting for the expansions. However, I think most of us here put 40+ hours into it before that wall, so I'd call it a good game.

After expansions hit I imagine it will be a great one.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Having taken Toledo off Phillip in a peace deal i can probably safely say that nobody expected that.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Polyakov posted:

Having taken Toledo off Phillip in a peace deal i can probably safely say that nobody expected that.
Yeah. There was somehow space for a builder. :v:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Poil posted:

Yeah. There was somehow space for a builder. :v:

That's Jesus.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

prefect posted:

Alternatively you can just wait for them to denounce you, but it doesn't make a difference. I don't think it matters much either way. Once you catch up to the AI's techlevel you can start slamming them. The AI is so stupid at the end of the game you can just fire nukes into them and drive forward into their cities unopposed to grab the ones you need. Doubly easy for coastal cities where you can just nuke it and drive a destroyer into it.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Any mods out there that make policy cards actually interesting? This is an excellent example of the "less is more" mantra. It'd also be nice to know what yields I'd receive for activating a policy.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The game chugs for a few seconds after switching policies, something's up with the calculations that makes it really unoptimized.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Phobophilia posted:

The game chugs for a few seconds after switching policies, something's up with the calculations that makes it really unoptimized.

During the first week changing policies late game completely crashed me a few times.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
This new "OMG barbarian scout totes found ur city!!!" feature is complete utter bullshit. Barbarian units have no problem finding my cities if my only unit ventures even one hex beyond my map knowledge, despite if I pound their scouts into dust.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Especially considering it shouldn't be anything a calculator couldn't manage instantly.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Or heck, just a big excel table.

I'm betting it's to do with trade routes, it's recalculating the position and routes of every single caravan across the entire map.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Trivia posted:

Any mods out there that make policy cards actually interesting? This is an excellent example of the "less is more" mantra. It'd also be nice to know what yields I'd receive for activating a policy.

Policies are a good thing for this game and strategically utilizing them them is nice bit of economic management in a game where combat is broken, boring, and dumb. It would be nice to see what yields would change when swapping policies though.

There's at least one mod out there I've seen that combines policies if that's more your thing.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
How is city attack damage calculated? My cities have 60+ defenses with the civil engineering walls and a garrisoned unit and they still cant even kill a slinger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

Policies are a good thing for this game and strategically utilizing them

I wish they would somehow dissuade players from having to engage in a card-shuffling metagame. It's definitely involved and I guess it does make players feel smart for timing their policy changes for maximum efficiency, but it should not be what the game is about.