Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

paternity suitor posted:

More importantly - Okafor is the worst defensive center isn't he?

I get viscerally angry when JoJo leaves and Jah comes in. It feels offensive to my soul

Jah is bad on pnr but he's real solid in the post and getting better on help

He had a couple of great plays last night on d .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

If you want to buy an apple, but there are no apples around to buy, then you don't go out and buy a pile of poo poo instead for the same price.

That's actually not always the answer because of the way the salary cap works. Oftentimes your operating budget going forward will be the same regardless of whether or not you buy the poo poo, so you might as well buy the poo poo in case there's an apple underneath it all

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The bigger problem is the same problem with Noah and Mosgov's deal, which is giving 4 years.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Rick here's the link to the flop that made Hasseltine trip out

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/801636482272215040

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Papercut posted:

That's actually not always the answer because of the way the salary cap works. Oftentimes your operating budget going forward will be the same regardless of whether or not you buy the poo poo, so you might as well buy the poo poo in case there's an apple underneath it all

Definitely but the problem in this specific instance is Evan Turner is a known locker room menace and is probably doing more harm than good. Like, nobody likes Evan Turner. He's hilarious but everyone hates him. It's probably better to pay out the extra money to your guys and have their morale jump up like an RPG

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

tanglewood1420 posted:

Timberwolves are a good bad team.

Grizzlies are a bad good team.

Which one is the Thunder?

A team you kinda like?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Unironic Ricky Davis love is the weirdest thing in the world to me.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/memgrizz/status/801822382419836929

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

this is great

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan/status/801554997091573760

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMJ4RRi2rSA&t=32s

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
It seems like a really bad omen that a young guy like Russell is getting a treatment generally attached to old guys trying to eke out a few more years or Brandon Roy.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cool Buff Man posted:

Definitely but the problem in this specific instance is Evan Turner is a known locker room menace and is probably doing more harm than good. Like, nobody likes Evan Turner. He's hilarious but everyone hates him. It's probably better to pay out the extra money to your guys and have their morale jump up like an RPG

Yeah, I hated the signing at the time and so far I've seen nothing to change that opinion. I think the Crabbe contact will prove to be tradeable but they'll be stuck with Turner unless an amnesty provision shows up.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

leftist heap posted:

It seems like a really bad omen that a young guy like Russell is getting a treatment generally attached to old guys trying to eke out a few more years or Brandon Roy.

Brandon Roy did not play long enough to be considered old even by NBA standards. He's only 32 now.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Am I stupid or is OKC trading for Rudy Gay an extremely dumb idea? Even if they somehow make a trade that works out for them, then what? They make the... 4th seed? Maybe? But probably not? And even then potentially don't make it out of the first round. Not that I think OKC should be particularly attached to someone like Cam Payne or whatever, but I don't really get the point of making a rental trade that will most likely do absolutely nothing for the course of your season. I guess it might make the Thunder marginally less painful to watch.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Henchman of Santa posted:

Brandon Roy did not play long enough to be considered old even by NBA standards. He's only 32 now.

That's probably why he said "or."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

That's probably why he said "or."

Ah, my brain replaced it with "like"

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Sacramento should trade Rudy Gay because every team that trades Rudy Gay gets better immediately and makes the playoffs against all odds.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Woo Bulls get that draft pick.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

leftist heap posted:

Am I stupid or is OKC trading for Rudy Gay an extremely dumb idea? Even if they somehow make a trade that works out for them, then what? They make the... 4th seed? Maybe? But probably not? And even then potentially don't make it out of the first round. Not that I think OKC should be particularly attached to someone like Cam Payne or whatever, but I don't really get the point of making a rental trade that will most likely do absolutely nothing for the course of your season. I guess it might make the Thunder marginally less painful to watch.

Rudy Gay is bad and getting rid of him cleared the way for the Grit and Grind Grizzlies we all know and love

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

leftist heap posted:

VS doing what? I think they'd be able to hold on to Gay if they get him, and if you think you have a shot at improving your playoff position you do that and hope something breaks the right way to make you a contender. They won't have the cap space to sign a max guy, and it'll be a tough sell in OKC next to Westbrook anyway.

At this point OKC is going to try to improve as much as they can every year. There really isn't another realistic route, and 4th seed in the West is really good!

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

The Grizzlies continue to be awesome.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

As a fan of a perennial loser, I don't understand the "whelp we've maxed out as a fourth seed time to blow it up" mentality.

Gay is a fine player if you utilize him correctly. Mike Malone and Joerger are good coaches and got good results from him. Casey and Karl are bad coaches. He's not a LeBron or even Iso Joe so don't treat him like one.

All it would take from OKC is probably Payne, which I don't think is that much.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

20 years old and he's already getting that bloodspinning poo poo?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

As a fan of a perennial loser, I don't understand the "whelp we've maxed out as a fourth seed time to blow it up" mentality.

Gay is a fine player if you utilize him correctly. Mike Malone and Joerger are good coaches and got good results from him. Casey and Karl are bad coaches. He's not a LeBron or even Iso Joe so don't treat him like one.

I don't understand that mentality either

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Rudy Gay is like Al Jefferson and a bunch of other dudes. He seems like a borderline allstar but he's been consistently inconsistent as one of the best paid players on so many mediocre squads that it's sensible to think that the mediocrity is something he brings with him. He's always going to be overpriced and his midrange skillset is out of date.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lockback posted:

VS doing what? I think they'd be able to hold on to Gay if they get him, and if you think you have a shot at improving your playoff position you do that and hope something breaks the right way to make you a contender. They won't have the cap space to sign a max guy, and it'll be a tough sell in OKC next to Westbrook anyway.

At this point OKC is going to try to improve as much as they can every year. There really isn't another realistic route, and 4th seed in the West is really good!

I think 4th seed in the west is really good too. I'm not sure Rudy Gay gets them there. You're right that they don't really have many options going forward. It just feels like such a coin flip trade and that makes me lean towards not doing it.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Papercut posted:

Yeah, I hated the signing at the time and so far I've seen nothing to change that opinion. I think the Crabbe contact will prove to be tradeable but they'll be stuck with Turner unless an amnesty provision shows up.

Man, an amnesty provision would provide such great entertainment. I want it for that, if nothing else. Make it so

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

EvanTH posted:

Rudy Gay is like Al Jefferson and a bunch of other dudes. He seems like a borderline allstar but he's been consistently inconsistent as one of the best paid players on so many mediocre squads that it's sensible to think that the mediocrity is something he brings with him. He's always going to be overpriced and his midrange skillset is out of date.

He's on a very reasonable contract right now. He'll be a free agent next season but he's already taken one team friendly deal to play for a coach he really liked and he might do it again after Basketball Hell 2.0

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

WhyteRyce posted:

Depends on the conference and the tiers. I posted the same thing back when the Raptors were bad. Nowadays they're a good team by eastern standards, but clearly a tier below actual contenders and don't have any discernible path to contention. Should they blow it up? I don't think so, not when we've got a chance for the conference finals. But I can see why some people might push for it. Usually it takes a few things going to kick off a chain reaction instead of a conscious decision to explode. Right now I'm cool with it, but if we can't resign Lowry over the summer I might take a tear down over having Derozan dragging us to the 7th seed. Or maybe we can develop young talent around him while also being a low seed, who knows. There's a whole lotta luck and heuristics involved.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

He's on a very reasonable contract right now. He'll be a free agent next season but he's already taken one team friendly deal to play for a coach he really liked and he might do it again after Basketball Hell 2.0

Plus I don't see the market falling over itself to sign him either. The cap won't increase much next year, so I think OKC can get him in the 12-15 mil a year range.

Con: his last name might make some Oklahoma fans uncomfortable.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Gay can make buckets play defense and play the 3 get him on the team

Lockback posted:

The sooner stadium is called Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium so it won't be a problem

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lockback posted:

Plus I don't see the market falling over itself to sign him either. The cap won't increase much next year, so I think OKC can get him in the 12-15 mil a year range.

There's no way Rudy Gay is getting less than Deng. Wings that can shoot and play the 4 are like the highest tier of FA for role players.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

I think people are too quick to say it but there are definite cases where a team's ceiling is well short of contender and the sequence of mild promise in the regular season followed by getting rolled in the playoffs isn't the most satisfying, even if it beats out being awful all along.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

these must be western conference fans because there's literally no point to the eastern conference playoffs until lebron retires

Smellyhead
Jun 20, 2003
Cabbages smell funny too.
Trading for Rudy Gay is about as smart as trading for Jeff Green.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

This is a good filter on who actually watches the Kings because Jeff Green has never been at any point an average player

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

R.D. Mangles posted:

these must be western conference fans because there's literally no point to the eastern conference playoffs until lebron retires

You say that, but if Lebron were to get injured (humour me here) then Toronto, Boston, Atlanta, Charlotte could all win a series against the Cavs and it'd be a real dogfight to get to the finals for the honour to be dismantled by the Warriors in 5. It's hard to win a championship and it often has a lot of luck involved even if you are a really really good team, so if you have even a slim shot you have to be ready to take it when it arrives.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Unrelated to anything, I really thought Anderson and Gordon's performance would be reversed. Gordon's been great and looks like an early 6MOTY candidate, Anderson has been pretty dicey. His 3pt shooting is alright but he's basically having career lows in every other way.

The Raptors game really demonstrated the need for a real point guard to spell Harden. Morey's gonna have to do a magic trick at the trade deadline.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Fine I'll say it, happy thanksgiving ya numbskulls I am thankful for all y'all and for my Memphis Grizzlies

• Locked thread