Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Lid posted:

Courts can not make a decision based on arguments that are not run, courts are to rule on arguments between sides.

okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

iajanus posted:

Yeah, it seems an oddly specific thing to keep pushing.

Consider that if it was just about pork, it wouldn't guarantee losing the seat in the future to The Enemy. This is one reason why you don't see this kind of pork. You do pork for a sure thing, this is not a sure thing. The NFF hates it, the electorate is :shrug:

If it's a bargaining chip with the Libs to ensure support to not lose the seat, it's a little more understandable, but still a very blunt instrument, and not terribly convincing, because why agree to being held hostage? The Libs won't do that for a Nat.

ABC website posted:

The APVMA relocation is part of Mr Joyce's broader plan to relocate parts of several government departments, including the Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation to Wagga Wagga and the Grains Research and Development Corporation to Toowoomba.

He sees it as a way to boost regional economics and put researchers closer to rural industries, but the Opposition has argued the relocation will cost the Authority millions of dollars including a breach of contract on tenancy and redundancies.

None of these towns have asked for this relocation. It does smack of a desperate lunge for relevancy, but the placings make no sense.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Technically the courts aren't supposed to go off and find arguments which the parties haven't relied on but sometimes it does happen. In this case the plaintiff liquidators raised the constitutional matters to some extent, so even if the ATO hadn't intervened the same decision would have been reached.

How did anyone in the WA and Commonwealth AG's departments possibly think the scheme was at all valid? It's such a fundamentally basic thing to screw up, that no the states can't override federal statutes :psyboom:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Birdstrike posted:

Technically the courts aren't supposed to go off and find arguments which the parties haven't relied on but sometimes it does happen. In this case the plaintiff liquidators raised the constitutional matters to some extent, so even if the ATO hadn't intervened the same decision would have been reached.

How did anyone in the WA and Commonwealth AG's departments possibly think the scheme was at all valid? It's such a fundamentally basic thing to screw up, that no the states can't override federal statutes :psyboom:

You're forgetting George Brandis' towering intellect.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

ewe2 posted:

Consider that if it was just about pork, it wouldn't guarantee losing the seat in the future to The Enemy. This is one reason why you don't see this kind of pork. You do pork for a sure thing, this is not a sure thing. The NFF hates it, the electorate is :shrug:

If it's a bargaining chip with the Libs to ensure support to not lose the seat, it's a little more understandable, but still a very blunt instrument, and not terribly convincing, because why agree to being held hostage? The Libs won't do that for a Nat.

None of these towns have asked for this relocation. It does smack of a desperate lunge for relevancy, but the placings make no sense.

That they have asked for the relocations is beside the point. They will create a need for local employment that will be filled regardless. What Joyce probably hasn't factored in is if he relocates a significant workforce to his electorate it might just change the way people there vote in aggregate.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lid posted:

You're forgetting George Brandis' towering intellect.

Also WA.

As further aside the Legal Services Directions (which are under the AG's office) would have bound Gleeson to run the ATO arguments that Brandis' scheme was dumb as gently caress.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
This is why Donald Trump was voted in. People are fed up with piss weak councils state and federal governments influenced by minorities or trying to appease the indigenous people. This Country is called AUSTRALIA it's not Beirut or little Uluru so heavens sake all the lefties and people who bring up the past which is our history good or bad get over it or keep your mouth shut you whinging drongos.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Recoome posted:

This is why Donald Trump was voted in. People are fed up with piss weak councils state and federal governments influenced by minorities or trying to appease the indigenous people. This Country is called AUSTRALIA it's not Beirut or little Uluru so heavens sake all the lefties and people who bring up the past which is our history good or bad get over it or keep your mouth shut you whinging drongos.
qft

About time someone woke up!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Recoome posted:

Which Peter post did you quote?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Recoome posted:

people who bring up the past which is our history good or bad get over it or keep your mouth shut you whinging drongos.

I agree, cancel ANZAC day.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Ive already lost count of the number of times ive read "this is why trump won"

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Trump is all things to all men.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Ive already lost count of the number of times ive read "this is why trump won"

which is why trump won

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

That they have asked for the relocations is beside the point. They will create a need for local employment that will be filled regardless. What Joyce probably hasn't factored in is if he relocates a significant workforce to his electorate it might just change the way people there vote in aggregate.

Well yes, there's that. Toowoomba is a case of coals to Newcastle, it probably benefits the egos of the locals. I can't speak for Wagga but that's a deeply conservative electorate so perhaps it's just an ideological fancy which might backfire with an influx of bureaucrats and scientists. If it's an attempt to decentralize to improve the lot of those towns, which doesn't magically work, whoops.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Recoome posted:

HOOOLY SHIIIT

Fremantle Mayor moves Australia Day celebrations to the 28th of Jan

This will most assuredly draw a response from the local ultranationalist unit in Perth

Not bad but he really should have moved it to the trash bin.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

ewe2 posted:

Well yes, there's that. Toowoomba is a case of coals to Newcastle, it probably benefits the egos of the locals. I can't speak for Wagga but that's a deeply conservative electorate so perhaps it's just an ideological fancy which might backfire with an influx of bureaucrats and scientists. If it's an attempt to decentralize to improve the lot of those towns, which doesn't magically work, whoops.

Can you imagine a bunch of bureaucrats being unhappy about choosing to relocate or find a new job and yet still voting for barnaby? :allears:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I've lived in Wagga before and it's a shithole with nothing better to do other than breed with your relatives and do ice.

There's literally like a black hole of boring around that "city"

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lol if you think the majority of the public servants are actually going to move. there's going to be some fat severance packages coming their way.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

BBJoey posted:

lol if you think the majority of the public servants are actually going to move. there's going to be some fat severance packages coming their way.

Ding ding ding.

Maybe that's it, it's a cunning move to clear out the departmental dead wood by Barnaby Joyce.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/apvma-cost-benefit-analysis.pdf

See page 56.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

expected 85% redundancy rate loving laffo. barnaby's literally going to destroy an aps agency just for fun.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

wow that analysis really can't be any clearer that this is an utterly horrible idea. it says straight up that benefits are hard to identify and even in the best case scenario it'll be a net cost. amazing :allears:

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Recoome posted:

I've lived in Wagga before and it's a shithole with nothing better to do other than breed with your relatives and do ice.

There's literally like a black hole of boring around that "city"

I spent a night in Wagga Wagga sleeping in my car in a parking complex, then I drove away from Wagga.

That's my Wagga story thanks for reading.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/farrm51/status/801961714933563392

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/FJKeany/status/801992242101567488

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Is there a large vet / agri chemical company "lobbying" Barnaby so that the agency who is supposed to test the poo poo just waves products through?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

starkebn posted:

Is there a large vet / agri chemical company "lobbying" Barnaby so that the agency who is supposed to test the poo poo just waves products through?

Hurr who needs scientists ill tick the boxes myself - Barnaby

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

It's not the worst thing in the world to have government departments located in the regions but this is incredibly hamfisted.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So the same arseholes who gutted the NBN are trying to use it to justify moving Federal depts into the bush. :ironicat:

quote:

The net present value (NPV) of the economic assessment of relocation is estimated to be an economic cost of $23.19 million. This $23.19 million represents the economic cost over 20 years to society in present day dollars using a project discount rate of 7% and thus should not be construed as the cash or financial cost of the project. Given that it is an economic analysis the cost benefit analysis includes the cost and benefits to all the stakeholders impacted by the project not just the government.

There are high costs in Years 1-5, driven by the cost of constructing a new building, moving costs and costs associated with recruitment, training, redundancy and oversight. However, from Year 5 to Year 20, cost savings arise driven by the net savings in property costs. The estimated economic cost of $23.19 million excludes any potential cost to industry arising from the risks to the agricultural sector, the chemical industry or Australia’s trading reputation. Whilst these risks are real, their impacts and consequences are based on a probability of an event occurring and as such in adopting the principle of conservatism they have been excluded. To effectively undertake the move of the APVMA and adopt relevant risk mitigation strategies, the cash cost to the government could be significantly higher than the estimated economic cost of $23.19 million.

They could save 10 million by renting, but in short it's a potential waste of money in the tens of millions, for what? Now add the potential costs of the other two sites. The only other terrible excuse for this is that it uses money that would be spent elsewhere. And once it's done, the cost of fixing it will be astronomical.

edit:

starkebn posted:

A good possibility for Armidale, harder to see what the justifications for Wagga and Toowoomba are.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
My dad used to work up in Wagga. I threw up all over the car when we drove up to visit him one time. The car stank for months. That's my Wagga story.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Les Affaires posted:

It's not the worst thing in the world to have government departments located in the regions but this is incredibly hamfisted.

You can relocate processing centres, like for tax returns or whatever, but having the head offices outside of Canberra is dumb as hell.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Australian ISIS recruiter Abu Khalid al-Cambodi (AKA Neil Prakash), whose death in a US air strike was confirmed by Senators Brandis and Payne in May, has reportedly been arrested in the Middle East.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
lol. Can't even extra-judicially assassinate someone mistah speaker.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

adamantium|wang posted:

Australian ISIS recruiter Abu Khalid al-Cambodi (AKA Neil Prakash), whose death in a US air strike was confirmed by Senators Brandis and Payne in May, has reportedly been arrested in the Middle East.

ROFL

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Huh. On reflection, the charred corpse we thought was his was actually three children in a trench coat standing on each others shoulders.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

open24hours posted:

You can relocate processing centres, like for tax returns or whatever, but having the head offices outside of Canberra is dumb as hell.

Yeah. Does Toowoomba have an airstrip? What happens if somebody dealing with the department has to go to the department for a physical meeting?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Knobb Manwich posted:

Huh. On reflection, the charred corpse we thought was his was actually three children in a trench coat standing on each others shoulders "militants of fighting age".

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Les Affaires posted:

Yeah. Does Toowoomba have an airstrip? What happens if somebody dealing with the department has to go to the department for a physical meeting?

Two, in fact. There's a nice new "West Brisbane" airport as well as the original one, which is now more or less in suburbia, thanks to urban growth.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Birdstrike posted:

I have a friend who is representing one of the other parties in this whole affair - apparently the whole way through the process of figuring out who got what share of the money, the WA government plodded along assuming they were part of it. Then, right at the end, it was pointed out to them they actually had no legal entitlement to any of the money, after spending millions on legal fees, so they passed that midnight session scheme through state parliament saying all of the money was theirs. Hence the trip to the high court.

Same friend is a life-long Liberal voter, who says he's never voting Liberal again after what Brandis did to Gleeson, and the legal fraternity hates Brandis as much as they hated that halfwit Can-do Campbell appointed to the Queensland bench.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Recoome posted:

Basically the tl;dr is that somehow I feel like you could spin that the SDA is a cool and good union when it's pretty much not
Ah this one. Called out to give an opinion on some topic, try to do so in good faith and you all act like cunts for your own amusement.

No Recoome, I can not spin it that the SDA is "cool and good" as I agree with the general consensus here that they are poo poo.

Preaching to the choir but gently caress it.

Why? Well Recoome, dipshits like you probably have, will or do work in low paid jobs with little job security and happen to covered by the SDA. Somehow I don't feel that lower rates of pay, casualisation, eroded conditions etc. should be facilitated by the union supposed to protect you.

I worked for several years as a member of the 'shoppies' (as if I had a choice back then) as 'dawn fill' for a supermarket chain. All I saw from the SDA was them clipping my ticket and rolling over on an increase to carton per hour rates.

Years on, something like the Coles EBA where the SDA screwed their own while John Durkin nearly got away with a "Don't look at me, I just sell bananas!" defense to FWA until it got just loving embarrassing for him is deplorable.

Maybe they've done some OK things - possibly. It doesn't excuse loving over some of the lowest paid.

I'm not the world's greatest fan of unions, but I do see their place. In this case though the SDA is poo poo.

That a good enough answer for you?

• Locked thread