Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Wasn't ESPN also the network that claimed Charlie Strong was fired several days ago?

I'm not sure the Herman to LSU deal is really done yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Regnevelc posted:

He isn't that great of a head coach, I don't know why people pine for him to be in charge of a major program.

Dude loving sucked at Ole Miss.

ole miss tho. Anyway, that was years ago and there's plenty of articles around where DACOACHO talks about why he was so bad at ole miss and how he learned from his mistakes.

Dude has earned another shot

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Lol Texas thank you for gifting us Herman

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Regnevelc posted:

I dunno, two half seasons don't really change my perception of a coach.

Bill: I've had 8 grilled cheese sandwhiches. 6 bad ones were from a restaurant that is historically not good. 2 good ones were from restaurants that historically are. Grilled cheese sandwhiches must be poo poo.
What is wrong with Bill's logic?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Wasn't ESPN also the network that claimed Charlie Strong was fired several days ago?

It's not a done deal, but LSU is prepared to make a hire on Saturday while Texas will still be waiting to play and decide if they want to fire their coach. That's a pretty serious advantage and obviously things have progressed pretty far if we're seeing these reports.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

big money big clit posted:

It's not a done deal, but LSU is prepared to make a hire on Saturday while Texas will still be waiting to play and decide if they want to fire their coach. That's a pretty serious advantage and obviously things have progressed pretty far if we're seeing these reports.

again though, these are the same reports that said strong was fired to begin with

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Spacebump posted:

Bill: I've had 8 grilled cheese sandwhiches. 6 bad ones were from a restaurant that is historically not good. 2 good ones were from restaurants that historically are. Grilled cheese sandwhiches must be poo poo.
What is wrong with Bill's logic?

Is it that Bill things grilled cheese sandwiches are analogous to football programs?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Is it that Bill things grilled cheese sandwiches are analogous to football programs?

Bill doesn't consider that good restaurants better prepare chefs for success at making food tastey. Much like USC and LSU historically better prepare their coaches for success than Ole Miss.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

we play, and therefore are likely to fire charlie, on friday

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Bill doesn't consider that good restaurants better prepare Chefs for success. Much like USC and LSU historically better prepare their coaches for success than Ole Miss.

Orgeron was significantly worse an Ole Miss than other coaches have been there. And being an interim is not the same as being a long term head coach. Different responsibilities and priorities.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

LOL Joe Aleva sucks rear end. Herman to Texas lives again!

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Aleva just made a statement saying no one has any lead in the LSU job

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Spintzel posted:

Aleva just made a statement saying no one has any lead in the LSU job

Which is pretty much exactly what you'd expect him to say while the team is still playing and when no one has been hired yet.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Alleva is dumb

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

pillsburysoldier posted:

Alleva is dumb

This is true, but that non-statement is not evidence of such.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Which is pretty much exactly what you'd expect him to say while the team is still playing and when no one has been hired yet.

True. But Alleva has hosed everyone over before by letting the media run with an idea before he decides to say anything. Just like with the Les firing last year. Just like with the Duke scandal

I really hope that he's saying that and Herman really is a done deal. But he's also a terrible AD

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Yes. ESPN is poo poo. No actual facts are in play except that Charlie Strong is still the HC of Texas.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Orgeron was significantly worse an Ole Miss than other coaches have been there. And being an interim is not the same as being a long term head coach. Different responsibilities and priorities.

In a fictional world with only two choices: Would you rather have Coach O or Les Miles as LSU's hc for the next two seasons?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Spintzel posted:

True. But Alleva has hosed everyone over before by letting the media run with an idea before he decides to say anything. Just like with the Les firing last year. Just like with the Duke scandal

I really hope that he's saying that and Herman really is a done deal. But he's also a terrible AD

He's pretty lovely, yea. If he lands Herman no one will care, but if he doesn't he's probably out on his rear end.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
guys ive talked to tom herman in person and he pinky sweared he was going to Texas so you are all big stupid heads

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Scionix posted:

guys ive talked to tom herman in person and he pinky sweared he was going to Texas so you are all big stupid heads

Did he kiss you on the mouth?

Did you like it?

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Did he kiss you on the mouth?

Did you like it?

yes and im still thinking about it

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

He's pretty lovely, yea. If he lands Herman no one will care, but if he doesn't he's probably out on his rear end.

If he does make a hire like Herman and it works out amazingly for us then I'm willing to give Alleva some kudos.both his men's and women's basketball coach hires were terrible but Herman would be Huge

I just want my bayou alma Mater to be the best in sports...

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

It is not unknowable that he could be coach of Texas if he wanted to be. I'm pretty sure if he ends up at LSU its simply that he'd rather be head coach of LSU than Texas for whatever reason.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

What upside is there for Herman to say yes before Texas makes anything official?

It's not like LSU would pull any offer or give him a deadline. Even if he knows for sure he hates everything to do with UT, he can just stall for a bit and make an extra couple of bucks with added leverage.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

ole miss tho. Anyway, that was years ago and there's plenty of articles around where DACOACHO talks about why he was so bad at ole miss and how he learned from his mistakes.

Dude has earned another shot

'another shot' usually doesn't start at a top 10 historical program though.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Spacebump posted:

In a fictional world with only two choices: Would you rather have Coach O or Les Miles as LSU's hc for the next two seasons?

I'd rather have Orgeron because at least he's willing to try new things on offense. But we don't live in a fictional world, so I'd prefer we look at head coaches that haven't been abject failures during their last stints as a head coach.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

pseudodragon posted:

What upside is there for Herman to say yes before Texas makes anything official?

It's not like LSU would pull any offer or give him a deadline. Even if he knows for sure he hates everything to do with UT, he can just stall for a bit and make an extra couple of bucks with added leverage.

LSU is probably at their most desperate now before UT (or A&M?) makes anything official.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Spacebump posted:

I'd take Coach O over Les for sure right now, sometimes you need new blood, but there are way more than two choices for that job.

Hell - Coach O lost to the two teams he played with a pulse as head coach this year.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

pseudodragon posted:

What guarantee is there that Texas makes anything official any time soon?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

LSU is throwing themselves at him while Texas is dithering over whether they'd like to hire him or keep their coach that lost to Kansas. That probably matters to a super competitive type of person. Also, wanting to get a decision made quickly to keep recruiting from falling apart wherever he ends up.

I mean, who really knows, but right now Texas still has a coach and LSU has a job opening.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Adun posted:

I would be very surprised if they didn't say something after the game friday or early saturday morning

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Adun posted:

I assume Texas won't do anything until after the TCU game at the earliest.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

If Texas loses to TCU then Charlie is obviously gone immediately but if they win it may not be so cut and dry.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Adun posted:

And if Texas doesn't say anything by next week, take the LSU offer. He's like a million miles ahead of everyone else in terms of desirability. It's not like LSU will be like "thanks, but we don't want you anymore" if he calls to take the job on Monday instead of tomorrow.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Regnevelc posted:

I'd take Coach O over Les for sure right now, sometimes you need new blood, but there are way more than two choices for that job.

Hell - Coach O lost to the two teams he played with a pulse as head coach this year.

I mean, Herman did lose to teams meh and below meh teams too.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

pseudodragon posted:

And if Texas doesn't say anything by next week, take the LSU offer. He's like a million miles ahead of everyone else in terms of desirability. It's not like LSU will be like "thanks, but we don't want you anymore" if he calls to take the job on Monday instead of tomorrow.

That sounds like what he's doing? The reports say it will take until Saturday to sign anything

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LSU is throwing themselves at him while Texas is dithering over whether they'd like to hire him or keep their coach that lost to Kansas.

On the other hand, it shows that Texas wouldn't be quick to can Herman. LSU, by comparison, fired its national-championship-winning coach early in the season.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

LLCoolJD posted:

On the other hand, it shows that Texas wouldn't be quick to can Herman. LSU, by comparison, fired its national-championship-winning coach early in the season.

Early in his 11th season. I'm not really sure you can say that they were quick to fire him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
All I know for sure is that Texas and LSU are both hilariously terrible at this and ESPN is full of poo poo

• Locked thread