Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

InitialDave posted:

Do plasma cutters work on roast meat? Asking for a friend.

Slice and cook at same time, quite the massive time savings when you don't spend all day slaving in the kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

Do plasma cutters work on roast meat? Asking for a friend.

Answered by Hydraulic Press Channel. Yes.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Answered by Hydraulic Press Channel. Yes.

Truly this is a great age to be alive.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Truly this is a great age to be alive.
Your're telling me, I scrapped a car online (tell them what you have, they come and collect it), and I got 34% more than the scrapyard literally a mile down the road was willing to pay.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I wonder if MMA works too

I do have a couple extra gouging rods in my box...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mustache Ride posted:

Happy Thanksgiving AI, is your table set?

Happy Turkey Day my American cousins.

Also: Kids table. That brings back memories.

Usually bad ones

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Today I told my girlfriend's father who doesn't much care for me that we intend to get married roughly one year from now. I said that despite our differences I wanted him to be there because she deserves to be happy.

He took it surprisingly well!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

One roommate is still in jail. His wife came up with the money for a bondsman, but they want a cosigner who owns a house... the dude's bond is only $500 total.

I told her they both had to be out Sunday. My stepdad is lending me money to pay rent, and he said he won't do so unless they're out by then, and I had to argue to get that much time for her. Her husband is not welcome back here once he does get out.

Also, when it rains, it pours. Car has been running great... no codes stored earlier today, CEL has been off for several days, all readiness monitors were now showing ready, passed smog fine a couple of days ago. Drove home from my mom's (45 minute drive), parked it, no issues, and checked codes again when I got home - no codes, pending or stored.

Went out a few minutes ago to run to 7-11, and this greeted me when I started the engine:

Along with a rough idle, and it was extremely sluggish to respond to the throttle. gently caress. Well, I've got my code reader. Coolant tank is on the full mark, so I'm already thinking that something got ahold of part of the harness.

:stonkhat: There is no way that many codes can pop all at once unless something seriously got damaged. Started poking at the engine harness. Noticed if I wiggled one part going to the firewall side, it would stall, and if I tried to restart, it would die immediately. Wiggled it again, and it started and ran again (albeit poorly, and sometimes the throttle would quit working). I reset the ECU, and the CEL was already back on before I finished backing out of my parking space.

Made it to 7-11, though it was jerking like I was mashing the throttle and letting go, and the reduced power light came on. On the way back, the throttle quit working entirely, but the engine kept running, so I got to idle about a mile. The section of harness I found damage on goes to the O2 sensors, so it's gonna be a pain to get to. Probably park it with a wheel on a curb over in the boat parking area (where I usually go to work on my car here) and climb under. I'm guessing when it's shorting, it's also killing power to the evap solenoid and MAF, and loving with either the TPS or throttle body. P0068 seems to be related to throttle body performance.

Gonna be fun to fix. I just used the last of my heat shrink crimp connectors getting my fog lights working again. :sigh: I have some regular ones I can use temporarily, but I hate to do that. May not have another option, since I can't really get to Lowe's or Home Depot until it's running properly. The weather is mild enough that I can at least get it running, then fix it properly once I get the right crimps. At least the wiring damage is before the plug to the O2 sensors, so I don't have to worry about replacing them. But with so many codes, plus the low coolant warning, I'm thinking there's more damage than what I already found. It looks like much of the harness is pretty easy to remove though, and with the ECU being under the hood, it's just one big plug to remove the entire harness once it's unplugged from everything. There's really not many plugs, since it's DBW; the oil pressure switch plug and coolant temp sensor plug look like a dick to get to, rest looked easyish.

I get the B2AAA every time I press an OnStar button on the mirror, so that one, at least, is likely related to the aftermarket stereo.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 25, 2016

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

That sucks. Can't you get a lift or a bus to the store to buy some?

Everyone should keep some blue and red heat shrink connectors in stock at all times as you usually need them in an emergency. (Or a soldering iron and some proper heatshrink tube if you are a professional).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Black Friday is still a novelty for us Brits and we don't quite understand how to do it.

I don't need anything, but let's check out a few sites and see what is on offer. Maybe there is a headline bargain that I could snag (perhaps buy yet another entire socket set, just for the purpose of getting a single socket)

Amazon has 230 pages of Black Friday bargains.

Let's see what they decide should be on the very first page to draw people in with excitement and desire:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tomarse posted:

That sucks. Can't you get a lift or a bus to the store to buy some?

Everyone should keep some blue and red heat shrink connectors in stock at all times as you usually need them in an emergency. (Or a soldering iron and some proper heatshrink tube if you are a professional).

Not easily. Bus service isn't great here, and I don't have cash for a bus ticket anyway. Might be able to get a friend to take me tomorrow.

I have some red crimps (whole box actually), but can't find my good crimper. I had a small package of the red shrink crimps, but used them getting my fog lights working again.

I'm honestly tempted to just yank the harness and go through it, there's no telling what's damaged. It's a really simple engine as far as modern engines go - no cam position sensor, no VVTi, it's DBW so it's just one plug to the throttle body instead of having TPS, IACV, etc. I checked ebay and there's none for an 06 with a manual transmission. A few are listed for "03-07 Ion auto and manual", but the 03 didn't have DBW, the manual has a lot less wiring, and the ECU (and plugs) changed for 06+.

There IS a single ground for all of the sensors/solenoids it's bitching about, and I believe the throttle body also goes through that. But with wiggling a different portion of the harness causing a visible spark and causing the engine to die..... something's fucky. There's a large chunk of split loom missing that wasn't missing a week ago. I'm going to get to that ground and see if I can find anything, but I'm going to assume I'm going to have to pull the harness.

It looks like everything except the starter and crank position sensor wiring is easy to get to from the top. Even the O2 sensor wiring (for both sensors) can be reached if you can reach behind the engine.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

spog posted:

Black Friday is still a novelty for us Brits and we don't quite understand how to do it.

I dunno man, I've had at least 70 emails over the past few days. Black Friday is annoying as gently caress.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

spog posted:

Black Friday isnt going to be a thing here as we have Boxing Day sales. Which are well and truly Black Friday style insane

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well it's 2:20am and I seem to be wide awake, should I go to some stores or something?

Funny thing, the fire alarm was going off across the street for about 10 or 15 minutes so I called 911 just to make sure they know (there is a station about 5 blocks away so normally they're very quick). They said there was a power surge that set off about 25 alarms. Shouldn't fire alarms be designed to deal with that?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

They SHOULD be, yes. If it's a bad enough surge, then the system itself can get fried, and the way they're setup, if the system thinks something has gone really, really wrong, they go into alarm mode - which is strobes, sirens, and calling the monitoring company (if monitored). Normally they would go into trouble mode if a surge damaged anything that's not the system itself, or knocked out power.

Burglar alarms, at least, take an 18-24V AC input, and convert it to 12V DC for everything internally, and they also have a 12V SLA battery for power failures. Burglar alarms also don't typically supervise (monitor) every device, except for battery powered stuff and smoke detectors (if equipped). And even then their supervision (internal monitoring) is more for low battery stuff, aside from smoke detectors. A business install may install EOL (end of line) resistors, but a lot of techs are super lazy and put them inside the panel instead of at the last sensor on the circuit. The main issue you run into with surges with burglar alarm stuff is if there's a nearby lightning strike, any hardwired door/window contacts may weld themselves shut (so they now always think that door/window is closed). Occasionally a wall wart will get blown up. Very occasionally the board inside the system gets fried, but it's almost always the plug-in power supply that takes the hit.

Fire alarms are far more sensitive by design, but a surge doesn't usually set them off. They have the same style of power supply (just a lot beefier, and they're required to be on a dedicated circuit), and the same style of batteries (also a lot beefier, since they're expected to handle strobes and multiple sirens for several hours, even once building power is lost - I want to say they're required to continue functioning in full alarm mode for 4 hours after loss of power if it's a large building?). The thing with fire alarms though, is if it's remotely modern (as in made since the 80s), every single device is monitored and generally has its own individual address. Every strobe light, every siren, every smoke/heat detector, every manual pull station. If an alert device has an issue, it trips a trouble on the alarm, which on some installs, will trigger a (single) strobe light and an occasional beeping, just to get the attention of management (that's how the alarm in my apartment is setup). If a trigger device has an issue - such as a marginal connection that a surge causes to arc, lose connection briefly, etc, then the alarm will either go into trouble, or full alarm, depending what it thought it detected. If I were to cut a wire to the siren in my apartment, the trouble strobe outside would start flashing, and the panel (in a metal box outside) would also start beeping. If it were a monitored system (it's not in my case, it's local only), then it would notify the alarm company that Device #### is having issues, please contact the property management to schedule repair. Or it would notify "Hey guys, Device #### is reporting smoke", though a lot of newer systems will sometimes require more than one detection device to report an issue before contacting anyone (but may set off the local alarm for 1 device).

I've been in a building with both fire and burglar alarms that was hit by lightning during a storm. Fire alarm system went into trouble and started beeping (keypad showed loss of power and ground fault issues even though the power was only out for a few seconds, so I assume its power supply got fried), burglar alarm didn't flinch - but half of the door/window sensors for the burglar alarm no longer worked. Hell, when the power goes out at my place, the trouble strobe for the fire alarms start flashing on every single apartment building. My burglar alarm, on the other hand, just lights up the trouble light and turns off the AC power light, and beeps every 30 seconds until I silence it. I can program all of that to be turned off, but if it's daytime, the only indication I'll have that my power is out is my PC's UPS will start beeping and my burglar alarm keypad will beep. If I'm asleep, it'll wake me up with enough time to do a clean shutdown of my PC.

Fire alarm systems are very sensitive by design, and unfortunately, tend to false quite a bit more than a burglar alarm system even when perfectly installed (and none of them are). And it sounds like the fire alarm had already spoken with whatever monitoring company was handling that building. The alarm company is supposed to maintain a list of people to contact about it, so that they can get someone out to reset the system. If it's damaged badly enough, the system gets powered down and the building may get placed on "fire watch" (either employees walking the building or fire department employees remaining on site, either way there's someone there until the system can be repaired/replaced), but this depends on how the local fire department handles fire alarm failures in buildings required to have fire alarms. Fire alarm systems are also far more complex, and often tied into multiple building systems. They generally shut down HVAC, force any elevators to return to a specified floor and park with their doors open (usually the ground floor, unless the smoke/heat detector at that floor is in alarm, then they'll go to an alternate floor), normally locked access control doors get unlocked, etc etc etc. They're tied into so many systems in a building, sometimes they may even be tied into building power to shut down certain equipment.

I fully admit I'm a bit of a :spergin: about alarms, but I know the burglar alarm side a lot better than the fire alarm side. Motronic will hopefully be along to correct any misinformation on my part, and he's also worked in firefighting and some forms of compliance.

e: I listen to the local police/fire radio a lot. There's a LOT of calls for "fire alarm going off at <X> business" when it's actually a fire alarm that's beeping and showing a trouble light, and nobody had ever told the employees that there was a difference between a beep every 30 seconds and an orange light lit up on the panel, or sirens and strobes. The annoyance is very obvious in their voices when they tell dispatch what was going on, and that they had to show the employee what that big button marked "SILENCE TROUBLE" was for. :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Nov 25, 2016

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

How the gently caress does a cat convert not bad smelling cat food into a poo poo that could strip powdercoat? loving hell!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

STR, any chance you can get a job doing alarms again? It must pay better than delivery surely?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ferremit posted:

How the gently caress does a cat convert not bad smelling cat food into a poo poo that could strip powdercoat? loving hell!

I don't know but my late cat did that. She was famous amongst people who knew her.

And also that's a lot of info about fire alarms. I was more surprised that somehow a bunch of alarms apparently went off over the city. The guy on the phone said power surge, I dunno if that's what it is but it's the middle of the night. Anyways it's an office building (google in fact) with the alarm fully going off, not just the panel beeping. (I wouldn't have any idea if that was happening). I was walking my dog and could hear it from a few blocks away and see the strobes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Black Friday isnt going to be a thing here as we have Boxing Day sales. Which are well and truly Black Friday style insane

gently caress black friday (and boxing day sales and so on), it's the absolute worst expression of unhinged consumerism I have ever seen.

The biggest rebate I can remember seeing for black friday here in Denmark is 35%*. Big loving whoop.

*(Or like 75% on stuff that was cheap tat anyway, or 50% on a goddamn $100 HDMI cable)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 25, 2016

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well I bought snow tires 2 weeks ago or so and now there is a $100 mail-in rebate :(

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

gently caress black friday (and boxing day sales and so on), it's the absolute worst expression of unhinged consumerism I have ever seen.

Truer words have yet to be said

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
:rip: Florence Henderson

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Truer words have yet to be said

http://i.imgur.com/uUZbCDW.mp4

"Get our of my way, I have to SPEND AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE RIGHT loving NOW!"

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I've gone out for Black Friday every year for the last decade with my friends and I've never seen it get like that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

"Get our of my way, I have to SPEND AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE RIGHT loving NOW!"

Is that Asda? Holy crap how pathetic and shallow do you have to be to *remembers Brexit* ah nevermind.

E: I'm aware how awfully snobby and pretentious that might come across as but I hate black Friday, I hate people that get that excited by shopping, I hate to see extravagant greedy over-eager consumption by people probably (statistically correct in the UK at least) already in debt for crap they don't need.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 25, 2016

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There's a guy with a GoPro

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah. I hope it broke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpTJuiWz6LM

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Now this is going to sounds really loving snooty but this gif is pretty much represents Asda shoppers as they normally are. If I ever feel like I don't hate people enough I'll go shop in Asda, I'm not sure why but it seems to attract the most inconsiderate, rude, scummy fuckers around. Every single time I have a lovely half an hour shopping it's in an Asda store. Someone should do a study on it, it's loving bizarre.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Now this is going to sounds really loving snooty but this gif is pretty much represents Asda shoppers as they normally are. If I ever feel like I don't hate people enough I'll go shop in Asda, I'm not sure why but it seems to attract the most inconsiderate, rude, scummy fuckers around. Every single time I have a lovely half an hour shopping it's in an Asda store. Someone should do a study on it, it's loving bizarre.

I agree it's odd. You expect Aldi and Lidl to be where the worst of humanity shops; purely because they offer very low-priced alcohol, yet mostly the shoppers are well-behaved.

EDIT: I suppose it's because these days, alcoholics are pretty quiet, when compared to over-entitled, wobbly mums and their uncontrolled kids.

Like the ones who shop at Iceland.

spog fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 25, 2016

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Is that Asda? Holy crap how pathetic and shallow do you have to be to *remembers Brexit* ah nevermind.

E: I'm aware how awfully snobby and pretentious that might come across as but I hate black Friday, I hate people that get that excited by shopping, I hate to see extravagant greedy over-eager consumption by people probably (statistically correct in the UK at least) already in debt for crap they don't need.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

spog posted:

I agree it's odd. You expect Aldi and Lidl to be where the worst of humanity shops; purely because they offer very low-priced alcohol, yet mostly the shoppers are well-behaved.

EDIT: I suppose it's because these days, alcoholics are pretty quiet, when compared to over-entitled, wobbly mums and their uncontrolled kids.

Like the ones who shop at Iceland.
For the Americans in the audience, Asda is literally Walmart.

Also, my fellow countrymen aren't pretentious or snooty, they're just not scumbags or morons. Black Friday is a completely ficticious concept here, there is zero reason for it to exist, other than a cynical exercise to get idiots to buy things which aren't even that great a deal. It's worth having a look if something you were goign to buy anyway has a bit extra knocked off, but it shouldn't be a thing.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

InitialDave posted:

The fat woman with the bright red hair was a clue.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

spog posted:

We have Aldi here in sc and it's where we try to do most shopping.

It was even better before the locals figured out you didn't have to actually pay for a shopping cart, they were rarely even busy. (You put in a quarter which pops back out when you return the cart)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

Also, my fellow countrymen aren't pretentious or snooty, they're just not scumbags or morons. Black Friday is a completely ficticious concept here, there is zero reason for it to exist, other than a cynical exercise to get idiots to buy things which aren't even that great a deal. It's worth having a look if something you were goign to buy anyway has a bit extra knocked off, but it shouldn't be a thing.

Exactly.

I bought my Chromebook on faux black friday two years ago, because it was the exact model I wanted, at 35% off. Didn't buy anything last year, not buying anything this year. Feels good, man.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

KozmoNaut posted:

Exactly.

I bought my Chromebook on faux black friday two years ago, because it was the exact model I wanted, at 35% off. Didn't buy anything last year, not buying anything this year. Feels good, man.

I bought 4 things. All of which I wanted previously, all of which came on sale for Black Friday. So I bought hahah.

But, yeah, I didn't buy random stuff just because "OH CHEAPS"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I am kind of tempted by the PS4 with MW2 bundle.

Then I remember that I have both a PS3 and a 360 with the original MW2, so what's the point?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I haven't bought anything yet but there's a bunch of stuff I'm going to need eventually for the race car that is discounted. There's a change I'll find some of the stuff used by the time I need it but I'll probably be placing a couple orders for stuff.

Was hoping to find a good gas grill for cheap but nothing is really standing out so far.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

My big Black Friday purchase was a $50 hotels.com gift card for $40 on Amazon, since I have a trip in January that I know I'll book through that site so might as well save $10. Sadly they have controls in place to keep me from buying enough of them to just pay for the entire stay at 20% off.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Only thing I'm doing for black Friday is helping my buddy get a toolbox home.

gently caress this poo poo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I was going to ask, then I watched more and I'm like "oh, it's walmart. I have no doubt at all in my mind."

angryrobots posted:

We have Aldi here in sc and it's where we try to do most shopping.

It was even better before the locals figured out you didn't have to actually pay for a shopping cart, they were rarely even busy. (You put in a quarter which pops back out when you return the cart)

It's Navorski. He's figured out the quarters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Motronic posted:

It's Navorski. He's figured out the quarters.

:lol:

• Locked thread