Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

AnoHito posted:

Steam considers that a valid reason for a refund iirc.

You can't refund DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Odobenidae posted:

I'm doing a Mali run right now. Develop your capital early on for faster feudalism and develop your gold mines to drown in money (and inflation). Eat Jolof asap, take Kong next for their gold mine. After that go for Jenne/Macina and by then you should be strong enough to easily take on Songhai + Friends on your own. You start as the most powerful of any of the west africans, but your ruler/heir are garbage. Disinherit your heir and hope your ruler dies, I ended up being two military techs behind everyone else near the start because I forgot that was a feature.

As for the actual achievement goal there's really not much to it. Pick exploration as your first idea group, maybe expansion after if you want to speed it up. I got to be the first to the new world (I swear the AI cheats and knows who the player is because every time I play in Africa the Iberians colonize it like crazy and ignore the new world for as long as possible) but wasn't lucky enough to get the colonialism institution to spawn in my country despite being completely eligible. The game had to wait five years for England to plop down one lonely colony and immediately handed it to them. I think I saw in the patch notes that they cracked down on institutions spawning in "non-traditional" locations, lame. That ended up being no big deal because I was second to embrace it in the world being the only other country with new world colonies, it's worth developing your coast a little too for faster institutions that creep down from Europe.
Cool, thanks. I already punked Jolof and broke some of Macina's alliances and am about to eat Kong and vassalize Jenne. My idea was to start earning as much money as possible so I can afford better advisors since the starting king is awful. I disinherited my heir and the new one i got sucks also, so as soon as I have the prestige again I am going to disinherit him, too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

spectralent posted:

You can't refund DLC.

But with Right Of Man it's like a whole new game! :v:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is Rights of Man important in the Art of War/Common Sense sense?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

snoremac posted:

It added a bunch of really cool features like disinheriting heirs; Queen Consorts (no regencies); Ruler, general, and admiral traits, and some other stuff that my food induced delerium is stopping me from remembering.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Started a game as Mali. Ruler is Bold and Craven. Welp.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

snoremac posted:

Personally I think Cossacks and Rights Of Man give the game personality in a cool way.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
So, I have a general, and I have significantly (17k vs 11k, 14k vs 10k, 20k vs 12k) more guys than people, I keep losing. I feel like I'm missing some kind of trick with this; often the fight's going great until they're at, say, 10% morale, then theirs slides glacially and mine keeps spiralling down? Is there something that'd be doing that?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

spectralent posted:

So, I have a general, and I have significantly (17k vs 11k, 14k vs 10k, 20k vs 12k) more guys than people, I keep losing. I feel like I'm missing some kind of trick with this; often the fight's going great until they're at, say, 10% morale, then theirs slides glacially and mine keeps spiralling down? Is there something that'd be doing that?

What's their morale and tactics compared to yours? Is there a terrain modifier in their favour or yours? What's your army composition? What's their general compared to yours?

Sometimes the dice will gently caress you hard. I've had battles where they got 8-9 for 6+ rounds and I got 0-1...haha. Off the top of my head it sounds like maybe they have a better general or they are getting a terrain bonus. The battle starts good because you have more men, but as the dice rolls go in their favour over and over, the battle turns. Hard to say without knowing all the info, though.

Are they adding any extra troops as the battle goes on?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

spectralent posted:

Post pictures of the battle screen you get from a battle in progress. Preferably right when you hit the point you're talking about.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Xinder posted:

Got a goldmine in Hopi today. Wasn't aware gold could spawn there. Must be a 1.19 change that I didn't know about.

Just a heads up, gold sucks as a native tribe because you're a filthy unenlightened savage who doesn't know its true value. Seriously, you only get 1/10 of the money from gold that non-primitives get.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

snoremac posted:

I think so, yes

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

Just a heads up, gold sucks as a native tribe because you're a filthy unenlightened savage who doesn't know its true value. Seriously, you only get 1/10 of the money from gold that non-primitives get.
What defines an un-enlightened savage theses days, anyway?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Rights of Man is on sale for 44% off on the Paradox store https://www.paradoxplaza.com/europa-universalis-iv-rights-of-man
I nabbed both it and Mare Nostrum for $16.

:toot:

Random question but what's up with there being duplicate DLC for Fredman's Epistles? Have two slightly differently named ones but the same contents AFAIK.

Now to figure out who to play as. I've got all the DLC except Mare Nostrum but haven't played much since the fort change...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What defines an un-enlightened savage theses days, anyway?

Anyone in the North America, Meso American, Andean, or South American tech groups. As of the most recent patch, the only distinction is that gold is only worth 4 ducats per unit per year, they can't build boats, and they can't embrace institutions on their own. Because, uh,

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Anyone in the North America, Meso American, Andean, or South American tech groups. As of the most recent patch, the only distinction is that gold is only worth 4 ducats per unit per year, they can't build boats, and they can't embrace institutions on their own. Because, uh,

they brown and not working metals lol obsidian blades what you got? pew pewww have some pandemic diseases

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just think it's hilarious that they can have the institution of feudalism present in all their provinces but they can't, like, embrace it, man.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

PittTheElder posted:

Patch has map changes, that's why you can't run your save.

The patch worked fine for my old save. Made a backup first to be safe, and got a few new un-cored provinces, but no issues otherwise.

e: it gave me some ominous warnings beforehand, but no consequences!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
also, apparently i can no longer give gifts to or subsidize my vassals? how the hell am i gonna get them colonizing now?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Random question but what's up with there being duplicate DLC for Fredman's Epistles? Have two slightly differently named ones but the same contents AFAIK.

Now to figure out who to play as. I've got all the DLC except Mare Nostrum but haven't played much since the fort change...

The way I do it is I look at the achievement list and go "oh that one looks fun" and see what country can do it.

Still gotta get working on that Third Way run with Mzab, even though I know I'll get mad at it more than I would with Tabarestan This Is Persia.

Fister Roboto posted:

when did your Riker get Fracture Eyes

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh yeah also primitives can't fabricate claims because

Seriously, the New World really needs (another) overhaul.

Eej posted:

when did your Riker get Fracture Eyes

Whenever someone got mad at me in the ff14 thread, probably.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

something's wrong with riker's braaain

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Being a republic is fun with personalities. I keep voting in pretty good leaders then they develop horrible crippling traits and I vote them the gently caress out of office. I'd hate to be a monarchy and waiting for some corrupt tyrant to die.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

Being a republic is fun with personalities. I keep voting in pretty good leaders then they develop horrible crippling traits and I vote them the gently caress out of office. I'd hate to be a monarchy and waiting for some corrupt tyrant to die.

Yeah, at least you can get rid of monarchs and heirs now, for a price.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Korea is ludicrously easy guys, maybe the easiest start right now. Like the Choson One achievement sounds like it should be a slog but it really isn't. I've also spent the whole game with my prestige in the 90s, which is something I've never even managed to do when trying except as Ethiopia who get a whole bunch of National Ideas and holy cities to conquer and keep it high.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baron Corbyn posted:

Korea is ludicrously easy guys, maybe the easiest start right now. Like the Choson One achievement sounds like it should be a slog but it really isn't. I've also spent the whole game with my prestige in the 90s, which is something I've never even managed to do when trying except as Ethiopia who get a whole bunch of National Ideas and holy cities to conquer and keep it high.

It's still kind of a slog because there's like 2k+ development in China so you're going to spend a looooong time conquering and coring provinces there.

I'll agree that Korea and Ethiopia (honorable mention Bahmanis) are among the best non-European starts but it's a long uphill battle.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

It's still kind of a slog because there's like 2k+ development in China so you're going to spend a looooong time conquering and coring provinces there.

I'll agree that Korea and Ethiopia (honorable mention Bahmanis) are among the best non-European starts but it's a long uphill battle.

I'd put Orissa on the list too. They got nerfed a bit around CS but at some point the balance shifted back their way - it's pretty easy now to conquer big swathes of Bahmanis/Vijay (depending on who loses the immediate total war they always get into a few months in) and Bengal feels like a lot less of a threat and more like a big tasty bag of development to take.

Also, the achievement for getting all of the Tropical Wood provinces as Orissa is one of the least-earned achievements in the game so it's a neat one to strive for.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How soon can Sweden realistically declare independence? Just trying to figure out what my rough timeline should be.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Is there an easy way to get out of being defender of the faith? I want to switch to Protestant, but the game won't let me while I'm defender of the Catholic faith. I'm so strong with such good alliances no one has dared to declare war on a Catholic nation for decades, so it doesn't seem like I'll have an opportunity to dishonor a defensive call to arms any time soon.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

How soon can Sweden realistically declare independence? Just trying to figure out what my rough timeline should be.

Dec 11 1444. If you've got England supporting your independence it will be easy enough. Teutonic Order, Scotland, and Novgorod are also good options.

Mountaineer posted:

Is there an easy way to get out of being defender of the faith? I want to switch to Protestant, but the game won't let me while I'm defender of the Catholic faith. I'm so strong with such good alliances no one has dared to declare war on a Catholic nation for decades, so it doesn't seem like I'll have an opportunity to dishonor a defensive call to arms any time soon.

Find a Catholic nation with more prestige than you and give them 500 ducats.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Bold Robot posted:

It very much depends on what sort of rivals and allies Denmark lands. You can usually beat up on Denmark and Norway solo, provided you don't let them combine forces. You can't block the straits any more, but having someone like England come in and tying up their fleet is still useful to stop you from getting strait blockaded.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Thanks. After I become independent I assume the best move is to jump Novgorod to try and grab its best provinces before Muscovy can?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So what's up with the Rights of Man pricing on the paradox store? It says 44% off on the store page, but when I try to actually buy it it comes up as full price. (Other DLCs are discounted as expected.)

Has anyone actually bought it at the discounted price?

e: Looks like the store page is showing the regular price now. :ms:

Jabor fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 25, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

They gave our Fredman's Epistles for free for doing something so possibly it's related to that?

If you want an easy fun game with new content play Ethiopia.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Jabor posted:

So what's up with the Rights of Man pricing on the paradox store? It says 44% off on the store page, but when I try to actually buy it it comes up as full price. (Other DLCs are discounted as expected.)

Has anyone actually bought it at the discounted price?

e: Looks like the store page is showing the regular price now. :ms:

I did. Maybe you put it in your cart just as the sale ended?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

They gave our Fredman's Epistles for free for doing something so possibly it's related to that?

If you want an easy fun game with new content play Ethiopia.

If it is easy or not depends mostly on how the Ottomans are doing. If they get to Egypt before you it'll be a rough ride.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I did. Maybe you put it in your cart just as the sale ended?

drat it! I thought about buying it earlier and decided to do it tonight. That's poo poo.

EDIT: Eh, I got it off Play-Asia for a $1 extra.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 25, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I really dislike the death clock mechanic on assigned generals. I just gave up on a Luck of the Irish attempt because I forgot to unassign my heir from my army after a war. He died, my 68-year-old ruler soon followed, and I ended up PUed under France. Cool. The mechanic adds nothing to the game at all, it just punishes you for forgetting to click some buttons after a war. I guess it adds a bit of extra risk to using rulers and heirs as generals during wartime too, but the same could be accomplished by slightly upping the chance of them dying in battle, which currently almost never happens. For all I know it's historical that generals died from accidents or diseases in camp more often than they did in battle, but from a gameplay perspective it's poo poo.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 25, 2016

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wafflecopper posted:

I really dislike the death clock mechanic on assigned generals. I just gave up on a Luck of the Irish attempt because I forgot to unassign my heir from my army after a war. He died, my 68-year-old ruler soon followed, and I ended up PUed under France. Cool. The mechanic adds nothing to the game at all, it just punishes you for forgetting to click some buttons after a war. I guess it adds a bit of extra risk to using rulers and heirs as generals during wartime too, but the same could be accomplished by slightly upping the chance of them dying in battle, which currently almost never happens. For all I know it's historical that generals died from accidents or diseases in camp more often than they did in battle, but from a gameplay perspective it's poo poo.

Basically it should only be actively ticking if you're at war. Otherwise I think it's fair to assume you're leader is not in the field, bit leading from an office somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

On the other hand 50 prestige is pretty expensive and hoping for a sudden death is cheap.

• Locked thread