Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

lohli posted:

It's not that his making a ham upset her, it's that his narrow-minded obliviousness to what generally constitutes a meal ruined what was otherwise a nice gesture.

Even if he had wound up with a ham out of sheer ineptitude she probably wouldn't have been as upset. It's that he slapped up a ham and watched football instead. After a poo poo family moment, feeling like you're worth less to your SO then football would be terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm still trying to figure out the "hey, now that we've been dating for six months, I'm going to call your twin brother a psychopath and give you an ultimatum to cut him off, and then when you side with your literal twin over me I'm going to claim it was a joke" guy. How do you even conceive of this as a good idea? Is the twin brother actually a psycho, and if so, shouldn't you be glad you're out of this relationship instead of trying to get back into it? I feel like either there are huge chunks missing from that one, or the boyfriend is a goddamn sitcom character.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

I'm still trying to figure out the "hey, now that we've been dating for six months, I'm going to call your twin brother a psychopath and give you an ultimatum to cut him off, and then when you side with your literal twin over me I'm going to claim it was a joke" guy. How do you even conceive of this as a good idea? Is the twin brother actually a psycho, and if so, shouldn't you be glad you're out of this relationship instead of trying to get back into it? I feel like either there are huge chunks missing from that one, or the boyfriend is a goddamn sitcom character.

Given what he accused the brother of and the way he's behaving about it, I'd assume that he's jealous/insecure about the relationship the twins have and is projecting.

He's an rear end in a top hat who took a gamble in trying to gently caress up a lifelong positive relationship and it backfired.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Ratjaculation posted:

Divorce? Welp, better slaughter the kids

The dude gets a completely clean slate after his broken relationship, so maybe it's not as bad as it sounds.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Having your kids murdered isn't "a clean slate", it's a lifetime of grief.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

potato, potatoe

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Subjunctive posted:

I'm worried about you if you took that post seriously.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chichevache posted:

I'm worried about you if you took that post seriously.

Yeah, long day. My bad.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, long day. My bad.

It's cool, in-laws are the worst.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I didn't even have Thanksgiving today, just hours with lawyers

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I didn't even have Thanksgiving today, just hours with lawyers

Paying or billing?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

counseling

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Paying or billing?

Paying.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My boyfriend (27M) is always buying dinner and drinks for other girls. Am I (27F) wrong to feel uncomfortable?

quote:

My boyfriend has always been the flirty type. He has almost all female friends, and he's constantly doing things for them. He thinks of it as just being nice, but I rarely ever see him dropping everything to do something "nice" for one of his few male friends. We've been together 5 years, and in that time we've had a couple incidences where he's gotten too flirty with a female friend and I had to ask him to tone it down. I'm fairly certain he hasn't gotten physical with any of his female friends. I think he just likes keeping them "on the hook".

Recently he started a new job making more money, and since then he's started taking female friends out on what, to me, looks an awful lot like dates. One female friend in particular - he'll meet her for brunch and he'll pick up the tab, or they'll go out for dinner and a movie and he'll pay for everything. Sometimes he'll meet her and a few of her friends for drinks and he'll pay for the rounds. Recently he took her and two of her friends out to lunch and paid for all of their meals, and gave the waiter a very generous tip - I can only assume he was trying to impress them. These girls all have jobs and are capable of paying for their own meals. He is making more than he used to, but he's not making enough to be throwing cash around like this. This behavior just feels way too date-y for me.

I'd understand if he was just buying them coffee occasionally or if they were regularly returning the favor and paying for his meals from time to time. But it's just him taking out this girl and occasionally adding in her friends too. It feels weird.

I should also mention that I've never met any of these girls. He met them about a year ago through work. He only sees them if I'm not available to spend time with him, like when I have to work weekends or when I'm visiting family. That's been fine with me since he's not taking time away from our relationship to be with them, and to be honest they don't sound like the kind of people I'd enjoy being around anyway. But I do find it a little odd that he's never even offered to introduce me. They know that he has a girlfriend because of facebook, but as far as I know they've never asked about me.

Okay Reddit, give it to me straight. Am I wrong to feel that this behavior is inappropriate? And if I'm not wrong, how do I discuss this with him? I don't want to be the controlling girlfriend telling him he can't hang out with other girls, but I'm also really tired of him constantly having other girls on the hook.

────────

TL;DR: Boyfriend regularly buys food, movie tickets, and drinks for this one girl and sometimes her friends. It feels like they're dating and I don't like it.

Reddit my boyfriend goes on dates all the time, what do?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

he's one of those guys who start out nice and understanding and then slowly isolate their girlfriend from her family and turn into giant control freaks

he's super loving bad at it though

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Hugoon Chavez posted:

My boyfriend (27M) is always buying dinner and drinks for other girls. Am I (27F) wrong to feel uncomfortable?

Reddit my boyfriend goes on dates all the time, what do?

TIL I was in an open relationship!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Virigoth posted:

Who is ready for the Thanksgiving cornucopia of r/relationship posts? I give thanks for what is to come.

My [23F] boyfriend [29M] invited me to go to his family's with him for thanksgiving, and today told me he's going alone.

quote:

Pretty much the title.. I've never met his family before and he's always told me that they're wanting to meet me.

He invited me to go with him to their place for thanksgiving, but today he told me he's going to just go alone. My family is always asking why I haven't met his yet because he's met mine and is always invited to come visit them, he's actually supposed to go to my family's dinner tonight as well. I keep getting asked if I think he's hiding me or if he's embarrassed of me and I'm now starting to wonder if maybe he really is.

Tl;dr, was going to thanksgiving with my boyfriend, he decided to go alone last minute, really hurt by it.

E: OP's comments illuminate the situation a bit more:

quote:

What makes you think he would be embarrassed of you?

The OP posted:

Well I mean, he straight up told me when his family asked why they haven't met me yet that he told them its because I'm crazy and can't be around people... He's never invited me to meet them or to even meet any friends. If he ever has plans he tells me he's going out but never offers to let me go with him, kinda feels like he doesn't want anyone meeting me especially since I almost always invite him out with me.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 25, 2016

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

WampaLord posted:

My [23F] boyfriend [29M] invited me to go to his family's with him for thanksgiving, and today told me he's going alone.

E: OP's comments illuminate the situation a bit more:

How do you not lead with "he told his family they hadn't met me because I'm crazy"? That would seem to be the biggest indication.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Taciturn Tactician posted:

How do you not lead with "he told his family they hadn't met me because I'm crazy"? That would seem to be the biggest indication.

She doesn't want to read too much into it.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Subjunctive posted:

She doesn't want to read too much into it.

That's crazy.

Ohhh......

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
[43M]. Found out my daughter [16F] was working at a strip club from friend with photo proof, daughter lied about this, what now?Non-Romantic

quote:

A businessman friend of mine was doing a deal in a strip club a week ago, and he told me he saw a very familiar face performing whilst he was there, he told me that my 16-year-old daughter Lisa (not her real name obviously...) was performing and kissing some woman withbright red hair and tattoos in some on-stage lesbian action.
I told him it was crazy talk but he insisted he'd seen it, shown me the photo on the strip club's FB page; it was easily recognizable as my daughter.
When I found out I felt so furious I told like complaining to the strip club.
I thought Lisa was at her friend Vicki's house, she told me this on Friday that she was staying over and would be back Sunday night. Vicki's parents knew Lisa was having a sleepover.
My daughter is 16 but looks 18, and I've already had to get a restraining order for some guy (Ron; not his real name) who kept following her to and from school. Ron doesn't even live in our neighborhood.
Who's legally liable, the strip club, for employing a 16-year-old (Lisa confessed she pretended she was 25) or Lisa herself?
I have grounded Lisa for this and banned her from speaking to Vicki but my question isn't a parenting one, it's a general one.
tl;dr: My daughter lied about age to work in a strip club.
:stare:

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
What kind of deal was he making at a strip club? A drug deal?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Stickfigure posted:

What kind of deal was he making at a strip club? A drug deal?

It's depressingly common for business types to meet and do deals at strip clubs.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

WampaLord posted:

It's depressingly common for business types to meet and do deals at strip clubs.

Unfortunately I'm in the wrong sales industry.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
If that strip club doesn't have some of age verification for their dancers they're dumb as heck and going to get sued.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

zakharov posted:

If that strip club doesn't have some of age verification for their dancers they're dumb as heck and going to get sued.

lol yup

Maybe she was just trying to be Traci Lords 2.0?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
My roommate's [29M] girlfriend [2?f] told me [22F] to dry my clothes somewhere where my roommate can't see them, bc it makes him uncomfortable. Help?

quote:

've been living with my roommate Marco since January. We met on Craigslist and we're good friends/roommates, but not bffs. We hang out when we're both at home but are good with respecting each others space and bringing up household issues when the need arises.

Our apartment is loft-style, and has two floors. On the upper floor there's my room and the main bathroom/washer and dryer, downstairs there's Marco's room and the kitchen and living room. For as long as I've lived here, Marco and I have both used the railing on the upper floor to air dry our laundry. I usually only put things that shouldn't be machine dried (sweaters, cheap f21 poo poo, bras, etc) on the railing, and use the dryer for everything else. The clothes on the railing are usually left overnight and then put away in the morning.

Marco has been seeing this girl Tiffany for a few months now - I've only actually met her a handful of times, but from what I've seen he seems really happy with her.

Last night however, Marco and her came in when I was doing laundry, and I came downstairs to say hi. When I went back upstairs to put another load in, Tiffany followed me into the bathroom and shut the door. She then said "I didn't want to say anything about this, but it makes Marco really uncomfortable that you hang out your lingerie for all the world to see. It's really inappropriate and you should keep them in your room." I kind of awkwardly apologized (I know) and she left, and didn't say anything to me for the rest of the night.

Now that I've had time to reflect on what she said, I'm thinking that was super weird and inappropriate. Besides the fact that the only things drying when she came over were ratty sport bras and wool socks, she has no right to tell me where I can hang my clothes. No idea if Marco actually feels uncomfortable (he probably would've mentioned it outright, though he dries his boxers on the railing too so idk if he'd have a leg to stand on) but I don't know how to deal with this when I see Tiffany next. Do I just ignore her? Say "thanks, but I live here and I can dry my clothes wherever I like"? Bring this up to Marco? Please help.

Dunning Krugerrand
Dec 23, 2015

purestrain pyrite

My [29F] housemates [33F, 46M] have been in a secret relationship for several months, and it has been seriously screwing the dynamic of our intentional community. Now it's out in the open, and I don't know what to do from here. (REALLY long)

quote:

I'm not using a throwaway for this, so anyone who knows me will know who I'm talking about. Hi, guys!

First of all, the dynamics of intentional community are not the same as the dynamics of a normal roommate situation, otherwise this wouldn't be nearly as big a deal. I [29 F] share a house with four other people. Greg [46 M], Marcia [33 F], Jan [37 F], and Cindy [31 F]. We share food, common space, and generally try to hang out with each other and treat each other like family. Relationships within the house are very much discouraged, because it tends to mean two people will pair off and exclude everyone else, making it difficult/impossible to have a cohesive community.

I've been living in this community house for about 5 1/2 years at this point. It has ups and downs, but has overall been a good place to be. I was close with Greg for quite some time, but when Marcia moved in this past May, they got close very quickly, often going on long walks, going to events together, etc. As I said before, were this a normal roommate situation, it wouldn't be my business, but they got so tight that there wasn't really any room in their conversations for anyone else.

I was in summer classes and working a lot, so I figured it would get better when my schedule got back to normal, but that was not the case. It has only become increasingly difficult to share any time with them over the months.

Another new housemate, Cindy [31 F] moved in in August. She's sweet, but socially VERY clueless, and can be difficult to engage with, because she's never quite on the same level as you. She figured out their relationship early, and has managed to enter their relationship-world at least somewhat. I suspect this was a bit easier for her, because she hasn't lived here long, and the dynamic isn't any more unfamiliar for her. Still, when I talked to her a few days ago, she said it had been a stressful secret to keep, and that it wasn't easy to get "in" with them.

The air has been getting more and more uncomfortable lately, and I've been actively ignoring signs that Greg and Marcia are involved for a while now, mostly because I needed it to be manageable to live here while I look for a new place. After all, why stay, if we're just roommates with no obligations to each other, and not a community? Too many rules for that.

On Saturday evening, Greg announced at a house meeting that they were seeing each other, and were met with a rather impressive resounding silence. I personally felt that hiding this for so long (on and off since the summer, consistent/serious for 3-4 months) was a major betrayal of trust. I have a long history of family members gaslighting me and lying to me, hiding truths, and I considered Greg a close friend and someone I could really trust, so this turn has really hit me hard.

In addition, I overheard Cindy say something to Marcia a few weeks ago about "when is the big announcement going to be?" When I asked Marcia about it later, she pretended not to know what I was talking about, and said there was nothing. So, in addition to the massive, continuous lies of omission, there's a big, fat, outright lie to my face, as well.

I found myself so angry after their announcement that I couldn't speak to them for a few days (wanted to avoid completely burning bridges by saying anything super nasty), and would just go directly to my room upon getting home. On Tuesday, I texted Greg saying that I don't intend to avoid him forever, but that I wasn't up for small talk yet, and I would like to talk to him one-on-one in the near future (I definitely didn't want to talk to them both at the same time, as I'm not interested in having them triangulate or defend each other or whatever.)

We talked on Wednesday, I made it clear why I was so angry, and how I have felt excluded for a long time. He didn't have much to say for himself, except that he knew he'd been incredibly selfish, and scared to tell people. This is compounded, I'm sure, by the fact that he's considered himself gay for pretty much his whole life. This talk didn't solve anything, but it felt like it at least unlocked the wheels so we can work on moving forward.

Thursday morning, I was in the kitchen cooking, and Marcia was making coffee. I said to her, "After Thanksgiving, maybe we can find a time to talk?". She turned to me, and said "What the gently caress do I have to say to you, catiefsm? That you're being a brat, and a child?" I responded with "Nope, never mind." and went on cooking.

When she left later in the day, she said, sweet as candy, "Have a wonderful day!"

To me, this is a major red flag. This is a hot-and-cold tactic, and all the narcissists in my family use it. I texted her to let her know that she can be pissed with me, but that the "hot and cold bullshit doesn't fly". She responded that the 'ideas that I think they need to grovel to me makes her absolutely furious', and that my response to a romantic relationship was ridiculous, and that me calling her a liar (Greg told her I was angry about her lying to me) was also ridiculous, and deeply disrespectful. Then she said we can talk after Thanksgiving.

So basically, this is all major backstory. I'm feeling lost in this house, and VERY on-edge about Marcia's reaction, because I think it shows that she has no understanding of why her actions are a problem, and complete unwillingness to do anything differently, or even recognize the emotions/concerns of her housemates.

I don't think I can stay in this house for any real length of time at all, if this dynamic continues. I've spent too much of my life fighting against crazy people to be treated like an actual human being to waste my time and energy on one more, especially when I am REALLY not the one who hosed up here.

What are your recommendations for navigating this? The house dynamic has been tiring for months, and now, I'm finding myself completely exhausted, and unable to stop worrying about what Marcia's reactions will be, and whether or not the house will be able to come back together. Greg is the founding member, and I told him that if he's not careful and this isn't handled well, it could absolutely be the end of his community, and this community is VERY important to him.

I have a few places I could go on short notice, and I'm strongly considering it, if things aren't at least somewhat clarified/worked on in the next few days.

tl;dr: Two housemates have been loving/in a relationship for several months and hiding it. The dynamic in the house is so bad right now that I'm considering moving out on short notice. How would you react and/or navigate this sticky situation?

Help, two of my cult mates are loving!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Jesus just move the gently caress out you gigantic baby

I like that a normal rental situation has too many rules, unlike this setup where everyone is forced to interact and you can't date each other

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
Oh my god. She sounds insufferable.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
News flash, greg has been banging many of the chicks who have come and gone in that community.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I always knew the Brady bunch was weird

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Hipsters are really weird.

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
My [13M] uncle [17M] has been sending me nasty messages over Facebook. I need to know what to do.

first time user. I am sorry for mistakes I may make. I'm going to copy and paste what he sent me.

Message 1: Listen you stupid runt, I am sick of my parents comparing me to their perfect grandson. gently caress you and your girlfriend. My precious sister bragged to my parents about how you and you're girlfriend follow her house rules. You're never going to get laid.

Message 2: If you don't start getting your dick wet you'll never know what it's like to get laid. My parents are making me follow the same rules you are. No girls allowed in your bedroom, are you loving kidding me? You're going to be hopeless when you move to college Lmao.

Message 3: I'm sick of hearing them talk about you playing football as well. That's not going to get you laid in high school next year fart face LMAO.

Message 4: Don't call me your uncle anymore either. You and my sister truly hosed me. I can't have my girlfriend in my room anymore. I can't play my PS4 in peace because all I hear is "get some exercise and play football like Jordan. How do you even know how to play anyway? You don't have a dad to teach you."

I need to know what to do. He's right I don't have a dad. My mom is 28 and my grandmother looked after me during her college days. I mean mom still looked after me, I lived with her in an apartment. My grandmother just payed for everything. My mom has had plenty of boyfriends 10 in total, she has one now but he does not live with us.

TL;DR: I need to know what to do.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

These people are way to old to be hipsters, they're just goofy AF.

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 25, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

gentle pete posted:

My [13M] uncle [17M] has been sending me nasty messages over Facebook. I need to know what to do.

first time user. I am sorry for mistakes I may make. I'm going to copy and paste what he sent me.

Message 1: Listen you stupid runt, I am sick of my parents comparing me to their perfect grandson. gently caress you and your girlfriend. My precious sister bragged to my parents about how you and you're girlfriend follow her house rules. You're never going to get laid.

Message 2: If you don't start getting your dick wet you'll never know what it's like to get laid. My parents are making me follow the same rules you are. No girls allowed in your bedroom, are you loving kidding me? You're going to be hopeless when you move to college Lmao.

Message 3: I'm sick of hearing them talk about you playing football as well. That's not going to get you laid in high school next year fart face LMAO.

Message 4: Don't call me your uncle anymore either. You and my sister truly hosed me. I can't have my girlfriend in my room anymore. I can't play my PS4 in peace because all I hear is "get some exercise and play football like Jordan. How do you even know how to play anyway? You don't have a dad to teach you."

I need to know what to do. He's right I don't have a dad. My mom is 28 and my grandmother looked after me during her college days. I mean mom still looked after me, I lived with her in an apartment. My grandmother just payed for everything. My mom has had plenty of boyfriends 10 in total, she has one now but he does not live with us.

It sounds like he could, and should, kick his "uncle's" rear end.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

def not hipsters. this has hippy written all over it

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

gentle pete posted:

This is without a doubt the funniest thing on here.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
At first I got confused by the ages, as I always do, and it was a lot funnier. Still pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think the 13 year old should ignore The Rules, and his uncle should, as well.