Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I just saw that the digital version of Terraria for PS4 is $4.99 USD, if anyone is interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Cat Mattress posted:

Problem with small worlds is that they're small, so don't be surprised if you get attacked by sky biome enemies just because you're on a plateau. I had a small world where if you jumped (starting character jump) you could spawn a harpy.

Yeah dude. I bought this game about a year ago for Vita and played it on 1.0, not updated, cause I didn't have internet access. I get home, update it, and turn on a small world and get schwacked by a flock of harpys immediately. I'm on a different world now and one exit out of my compound is unusable due to loving harpy assholes. I'm sure I could kill them but I have literally no idea what I'm doing in this game so I just leave them alone.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Bob A Feet posted:

Yeah dude. I bought this game about a year ago for Vita and played it on 1.0, not updated, cause I didn't have internet access. I get home, update it, and turn on a small world and get schwacked by a flock of harpys immediately. I'm on a different world now and one exit out of my compound is unusable due to loving harpy assholes. I'm sure I could kill them but I have literally no idea what I'm doing in this game so I just leave them alone.

With a bit of armour and a half-decent pre-hardmode weapon, harpies are a nuisance rather than a problem.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Does anyone know why the room with the glass chair isn't valid housing? Every other room in this tower is and I can't really figure out why.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Tyty posted:

Does anyone know why the room with the glass chair isn't valid housing? Every other room in this tower is and I can't really figure out why.
The platforms count as blocks/walls, and as such, are dividing the room into two halves. To the game, the right side and left side are considered two different rooms.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Man, gently caress the Solar Tower and the Crawltipedes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Stay on the ground.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tyty posted:

What Vib Rib said. Note that the bottom-most room on the screenshot has a gap in the platform staircase (right in the middle, to create the appearance of a spiral staircase passing behind the central pillar), that allows both sides of the room to be merged into one. Just bring another chair, table, and light source and you can have two rooms there.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Stay on the ground.

After jumping around like a maniac for most of the game, fighting on the ground feels very wrong.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I bought the PS4 version of Terraria since it's $5 right now and I don't think that I can play it. I was already bummed by the more limited content, but the controls are just too awkward to me. I honestly feel that the devs did a great job with what they had gamepad-wise, I just can't get into it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Got this thanks to DoubleNegative's LP, which I'm using as a sort of walkthrough because I'm bad at making my own fun. Should I bother trying to stop the corruption/crimson early or just roll with the punches?

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
You pretty much can't stop the Corruption early, and by the time you can do anything about it on a large scale, there's really no reason to beyond aesthetics. Just roll with what may come.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Since the Dungeon Defenders update, I think I'm going to start playing again. The changelog is pretty impressive considering that I haven't touched the game since the time the Halloween event was first introduced.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Got this thanks to DoubleNegative's LP, which I'm using as a sort of walkthrough because I'm bad at making my own fun. Should I bother trying to stop the corruption/crimson early or just roll with the punches?

Dig a line of dirt up and replace it with dungeon blocks, ore, jewels, slime blocks, granite or marble. That'll stop it from messing things up on the surface. But, it does go deep into the ground though so it's honestly a fools errand to try and stop it early on. Just deal with it and make a new world if it gets too out of hand.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Geomancing posted:

You pretty much can't stop the Corruption early, and by the time you can do anything about it on a large scale, there's really no reason to beyond aesthetics. Just roll with what may come.

There's barely anything worth stopping early on. I've never seen the Corruption spread more than a tiny fraction of a screen on its own, even on expert mode worlds where it takes forever to grind through the first few phases of the game.

Of course, the spread accelerates with later events, but the nature of these events makes attempts to barricade it fairly useless. Dynamiting out a Hellevator is about as good a backstop as you're going to get and is something you're likely going to want to do anyhow, so I'd do that and call it good. Maybe blast out a 2nd or 3rd if you're really paranoid.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It can be worth it to try to protect the jungle because the corruption/crimson will eat it away in hardmode, and that cannot be undone quickly even with end game items (since corruption/crimson turn mud into dirt, so purifying that would just give you normal forest rather than jungle). Everything else is of little consequence once you get the Clentaminator.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I just beat Wall of Flesh for the first time, what's the recommended items/gear and things I should grind for before fighting the mechanical bosses, and what order should they be done in?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
First: craft yourself some top-tier gear by opening all these fished crates you've been saving for hardmode. Beats hunting down altars and then hoping to stumble on new ores!

Secondly, get wings, you'll need more mobility than rocket boots can give you. To get wings, you have two choices: either beat up wyverns for their Souls of Flight (and farm harpies while you're up there, in the hope of harvesting one Giant Harpy Feather), or build a house for the Witch Doctor in the jungle and buy Leaf Wings from him (costs one platinum coin, only sold at night). If you play on console or mobile, you have a third, easier, cheaper option with the Sparkly Wings sold by the Dryad during a Blood Moon, so in that case just wait for a Blood Moon. A last option is to grind fishing missions for the angler because you have a very, very small chance of getting Fin Wings. That annoying brat prefers to give me mermaid cosplay items thrice in a row, so YMMV as for whether that approach is worth the aggravation. Other than that, all other options require to have beaten a mechanical boss, and usually to have beaten even stronger bosses afterwards.

Once you have Souls of Flight, you can craft your wings. Angel, Demon, and Fairy wings are generally the faster to grind for, because pixies will bury you alive in pixie dust as soon as you step in a hallow, harpies will drop normal-size feathers reliably, and every sort of enemy will drop souls of light/night when they die in the relevant biome. Components for other wings are either rare drops, or uncommon drops from tough monsters.

You can prepare then an arena to make the fight easier, I suggest some heart lanterns, some stars in bottles, a couple heart statues, a 5-second timer, some wires, a wrench, and then some potions. (Potions are good.) Put the heart statues relatively far away from each other, on platforms you can easily go back to while flying around madly. (Not on the ground, you'll want to avoid being trapped on the ground during a boss fight.) Wire the statues to the timer. Make sure the heart lanterns and stars in bottles are not wired, you'll want their effect constantly. When you're ready, start the timer, summon the boss, and fly figure-eights between both statues to grab hearts as you take damage without stopping attacking and dodging the boss.

Things you should try to brew, depending on what's available in your world: Endurance, Heartreach, Ironskin, Lifeforce, Rage, Regeneration, Swiftness, Thorns, Wrath. Complete that with some buffs appropriate to your preferred method of attack (boost magic if you use spells, boost archery if you use bows, etc.).

As for the order on how to tackle them... The Destroyer might be the easiest as there is only one of it, but it shoots a lot of lasers and if you don't stay above it it can trap you between its body and the ground, forcing you to take damage. Skeletron Prime has four hands with various attacks, plus the head. The Twins are two, one with a long range attack that deals moderate damage and another with a short-range attack that deals a lot of damage and inflicts a debuff. I'd suggest starting with the mechanical worm, then moving on the mechanical skull (concentrate first on eliminating the hands, as they aren't too tough but they're a constant nuisance otherwise, once they're gone you can focus on the skull more safely), and finishing with the mechanical eyes (focus on one until it is destroyed, then the other -- do not get in a situation where you have to fight both eyes in their robotic form at once). The question of which eye to eliminate first with the twins depends on how good you are at outmaneuvering them, if you're fast enough to reliably dodge them then Retinazer is the stronger threat, but if they can bully you you definitely need to eliminate Spazmatism first.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 26, 2016

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Cat Mattress posted:

Angel, Demon, and Fairy wings are generally the faster to grind for, because pixies will bury you alive in pixie dust as soon as you step in a hallow,

You can kill pixies and unicorns with a pretty simple little hut. All you need a few dart traps, and a geyser really speeds things up. This lets you gather components for greater healing potions, holy arrows and the meteor staff the second you enter hardmode. The new Dungeon Defenders 2 content makes this even easier, if you can grab a ballista or fireball rod before you enter hardmode. You can purchase hollow seeds from the dryad the moment you enter hardmode if you don't have a suitable above-ground hollow area.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

HardDiskD posted:

Man, gently caress the Solar Tower and the Crawltipedes.

Line of solid blocks with a couple platforms in the middle, high up. Suffer through enough Corites to get a banner. Even a weak Stardust Dragon will lock onto a Crawltipede's tail and smash it in seconds. Crawltipedes have banners, too. Selenians don't reflect rockets, so you can use a rocket launcher or proximity mine launcher (careful, mines explode after a minute and hurt you.) to rain death from above. Solid blocks will block the fireballs.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How do you do fishing quests? I just started playing this weekend thanks to DoubleNegative's LP and I spent the last 3 hours trying and failing to catch the right kind of fish before the day changed.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

LLSix posted:

How do you do fishing quests? I just started playing this weekend thanks to DoubleNegative's LP and I spent the last 3 hours trying and failing to catch the right kind of fish before the day changed.
If you were fishing up a lot of junk, that means the pool you were fishing from needed to be bigger.

It only counts from the surface of the water down, so if it gets wider below the surface, none of that counts.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Fishing

You want to be fishing in at least 300 tiles worth of water to not take penalties. After that, it's using decent bait, a decent rod, and making sure you're actually fishing in the right spot.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Vib Rib posted:

The platforms count as blocks/walls, and as such, are dividing the room into two halves. To the game, the right side and left side are considered two different rooms.

I had absolutely no idea they did that, thanks.

I guess the rooms further down were big enough to properly count as two rooms, so I can fit multiple NPCs in them. Neat.

Fat Samurai posted:

To add onto what the others said, there's a boss in hardmode that slows down the spread back to pre-hardmode levels once you beat it, but as they mentioned it really doesn't matter unless you take a LOT of time. I usually dig a trough though just because I absolutely hate the hallow and would rather have forest, and it usually takes me a bit to get to the clentaminator to fix that. Basically, I dig the trough, fight the wall, and plant hallow on the one side just so corruption doesn't creep up into my base.

it helps it usually looks pretty good mixing stone brick with forest grass where I usually make my bases, so it ends up looking nice when complete. Walled garden kinda thing. I'll have to see how it looks with snow this playthrough, maybe I'll use a different kind of brick.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Fat Samurai posted:

Early on you can stop the spread across the surface with sunflowers from the dryad, later on if you decide to block off a chunk of terrain you'll have much better equipment to do it with, so nah, don't go crazy early. There's also reasons why it wont work.

RealFoxy posted:

I just beat Wall of Flesh for the first time, what's the recommended items/gear and things I should grind for before fighting the mechanical bosses, and what order should they be done in?

Destroyer is easiest. If you have a stack of salvaged dart traps you can butcher him, but if not the trick is still pretty much the same - build a room in midair, block walls on the walls and roof, platform floor, make it big enough to dodge around in and just stab down with a spear. The walls will keep all the drones off you, the body itself isn't difficult to avoid.

Next is the twins. You need a ranged weapon, ranged gear and a big stack of gravity pots. Don't stop moving and don't let them get too close.

Skeletron Prime is ...well, you need a nice, big arena for him. Maybe a couple of buddies in endgame gear in it.

King Doom fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 27, 2016

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

King Doom posted:

Skeletron Prime is ...well, you need a nice, big arena for him. Maybe a couple of buddies in endgame gear in it.

What are the buddies in endgame gear there for? Are they on opposing PvP teams to add some spice to this otherwise incredibly easy boss fight?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yeah you don't get end game gear to deal with Skeleprime.

Heck I've been fighting "boss rush" nights with tiki armor and an optic staff, summoning all three mechanical bosses + eye of cthulhu, eater of world, and brain of chtulhu (in a specially constructed area where I've put enough crimson and corruption). I just needed some potions for that.

Now that I have upgraded to martian madness gear (cosmic car key and xeno staff) I don't even need potions for that anymore.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
I was able to roll everything in pre 1.3 on normal mode and had duke fishron on farming status so coming back I made an expert world. I've gotten through the eye and queen bee, but both skeletron and brain wreck my poo poo. I probably just need to build a larger arena to handle brain but I just get absolutely destroyed by skeletron. To say it's frustrating is putting it lightly. I started a fresh character for expert so I'm not getting rocked in all my late-hardmode gear (I don't think I'm THAT bad at the game).

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Does anyone have any tips for finding the tavernkeep? I've been trying to find him for a few hours on my medium world and I haven't seen him once.

Does he not spawn in hallow/corruption caverns or something? most of my map is converted by now since I've spent so much time in it.

edit: found him near some lava like 2 minutes after i posted this. There's probably some sort of Murphy's Law style internet principle in effect here

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 28, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I actually think that in the right arena (which for most of the mech bosses is just a few long rows of platforms) Skeletron Prime is actually the easiest mechanical boss. The real problem is that he has so much health and defense that fighting him the first time could take all night. Crystal bullets and the clockwork assault rifle are my usual choices for him. So he's the easiest to survive but soaks up so much damage he can be hard to kill in time.
Meanwhile the Destroyer is the quickest and possibly easiest to kill with the right weapon, but also the easiest to die to.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

I actually think that in the right arena (which for most of the mech bosses is just a few long rows of platforms) Skeletron Prime is actually the easiest mechanical boss. The real problem is that he has so much health and defense that fighting him the first time could take all night. Crystal bullets and the clockwork assault rifle are my usual choices for him. So he's the easiest to survive but soaks up so much damage he can be hard to kill in time.
Meanwhile the Destroyer is the quickest and possibly easiest to kill with the right weapon, but also the easiest to die to.

This is 100% my experience. On my expert mode run, I only died once to Skeletron Prime and it was death by sunrise.

Funkutron5000 posted:

I was able to roll everything in pre 1.3 on normal mode and had duke fishron on farming status so coming back I made an expert world. I've gotten through the eye and queen bee, but both skeletron and brain wreck my poo poo. I probably just need to build a larger arena to handle brain but I just get absolutely destroyed by skeletron. To say it's frustrating is putting it lightly. I started a fresh character for expert so I'm not getting rocked in all my late-hardmode gear (I don't think I'm THAT bad at the game).

OG Skeletron was absolutely the biggest roadblock I've found in expert mode so far. First off: generate another expert world with corruption and kill the Eater of Worlds to get its expert drop, you'll need it. Other than that, for me it was pretty much just a matter of gearing up as much as I possibly could. Full molten armor, Molten Fury with frostburn arrows, every buff potion I could get, etc.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've spent the last three hours looking for the Goblin Tinkerer around the Cavern layer. Is there any trick on where to find him? I've fulfilled all the conditions on the wiki.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Fat Samurai posted:

I've spent the last three hours looking for the Goblin Tinkerer around the Cavern layer. Is there any trick on where to find him? I've fulfilled all the conditions on the wiki.

If you've killed Skeletron, then you can almost certainly find the Goblin Tinkerer in the dungeon. You might also try taking a trip through the jungle to see if you can turn him up in there.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Okay, so burned down Plantera without even a whimper and accidentally summoned Golem twice because I didn't realize what the alter did and clicked it again. I've got full turtle armor + Health right now and the Terrarian sword, with the Lunatic Cultist up next. Is there anything special about this? The game is starting to feel pretty easy, after being unprepared for the first couple mechanical bosses spawning on top of me early on in Hard Mode I've made pretty quick work of everything else.

Even got the achievement for defeating all 3 mechanical bosses at once about 4 hours after defeating them the first time

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Dec 3, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's a number of optional but hard stuff you can do between Golem and Lunatic Cultist. Did you do Fishron yet? What about Pumpkin and Frost Moons? Have you tried the Tier 3 Old One's Army?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

This game gets pretty laughably easy as you get used to it. That's why they made expert mode. It's specifically for veterans of the game and it makes everything really tough and dangerous, as well as adds other unique effects to some mobs (like making lava slimes spawn a block of lava when they die). All bosses have added effects and stuff too, and extra special loot and stuff. I pretty much only play on expert mode these days.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Can someone tell me why this room with the paintings is invalid? I tore out the furniture and checked to make sure it's walled up, I'm trying to put the clothier in there.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is it too big

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Verviticus posted:

is it too big

poo poo, I didn't even think of that. I knew the game had a limit for house size but I thought it would be alot larger than that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
According to wiki, a valid house must have at least 60 but less than 750 tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Stuck on Duke Fishron/Lunatic Cultist and the Frost Moon waves, can't beat any of the three with current setup. Have Beatle armor, Terrarian Sword, Chainsaw, and currently using a Minishark with the bullets you can make from Nanites.