Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!

Wilekat posted:

I don't wanna know this. I dont want to pull for a fourth time because I'm fixated on a multifaceted buffer item that I won't get. I already pulled Gungnir, Lust Dagger and Onion Sword. I really, really don't need to pull on this again!

Hey with Gungnir you've got a drat good Enwind BSB on your hands, you've hit pay dirt as far as anyone's concerned. The Onion Sword does guarantee that SB gauge is by no means going to waste, so building up a cache of Vessel of Fate RWs is more than enough.

I'm way more excited about Onion Knight as an RW than anything else because we're now finally out of that awkward stage re: hybrid teams. We've got our hybrid Shout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I'm just asking here in case someone can think of something I'm missing: I got Fang's BSB from the Black Friday Banner and now that I have my first imperil anything I'm trying to think of ways to take advantage of it (It's Wind).

I have Bartz's BSB command Flurry Storm, Snowspell Strike, Tornado Strike, and Meltdown. I'm gonna unlock Sky High on Fang so she can use that. Are there any wind SBs or abilities coming up soon on good banners? I know 14-1 has Alphinaud's BSB which is apparently bonkers but outside of that I'm drawing a blank. Right now outside of Fang and Bartz's SB the only thing wind-elemental I have is Climhazzard for Cloud.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I actually have a surprisingly strong set of damage SBs now. Support is my real struggle.

Are any of the upcoming banners worth dropping a pull on for a chance at a strong member of the trifecta? Minfilia is an obvious candidate for Y'shtola stuff, so I presume I'm best just saving for XIV like everyone else at this point, minus the occasional lucky draw for laughs?

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
Thanks for the replies.

I also realized I said three spheres when I meant four.

Real quick though how many burst soul breaks do you guys have? I have Terra, Auron, Gilgamesh and Tidus's Overstrike.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I had 50 mythril and I didn't know to pull on Onion or the black friday. I pulled on the Black Friday banner. I got Balthier and Sephiroth's BSB's. Any good?

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

Heaven Spacey posted:

I'm just asking here in case someone can think of something I'm missing: I got Fang's BSB from the Black Friday Banner and now that I have my first imperil anything I'm trying to think of ways to take advantage of it (It's Wind).

I have Bartz's BSB command Flurry Storm, Snowspell Strike, Tornado Strike, and Meltdown. I'm gonna unlock Sky High on Fang so she can use that. Are there any wind SBs or abilities coming up soon on good banners? I know 14-1 has Alphinaud's BSB which is apparently bonkers but outside of that I'm drawing a blank. Right now outside of Fang and Bartz's SB the only thing wind-elemental I have is Climhazzard for Cloud.

The next ~SUPER AMAZING~ wind SB's would be Cloud BSB2 and Cid BSB, both on the same FFVII banner. They are pretty far out from actually making it to us however.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Charles Bukowski posted:

I had 50 mythril and I didn't know to pull on Onion or the black friday. I pulled on the Black Friday banner. I got Balthier and Sephiroth's BSB's. Any good?

Balthier's isn't too hot unless you're fighting a boss vulnerable to the statuses it inflicts.

Sephiroth's is weird in that it's actually improving with age as it has a DEF ignoring command and power creep means enemy DEF is just getting higher.

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!

Charles Bukowski posted:

They're both pretty strong. The secret strength of Seph's is that Despair ignores defense--definitely worth having around for that. Balthier's is still good but is hampered a bit by the machinist gimmick (relies on status ailments). It's got strong fire damage in the pocket though, so maybe throw him in with a fire team.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Does the memento mori magic boost stack with faith? Trying to put together a mage team since I now have Maria and Terra's BSB's to go with Edward's hastega + faithga, and I figure a darkness caster to RW an OK BSB would probably be the best way to do it if they all stack.

The hardest part will be the turns it takes to get their gauges filled :v:

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

So now that the red haze has faded, I have a decision to make. I got the OK BSB, and I can make either a Full Charge or a Full Break, but not both; I only have enough 5* power orbs for one. I already have Faris' BSB for Breaks, so I am thinking of making the Full Charge and putting it on OK to use with his Attack command. Am I crazy?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Get OK support 5 if you intend to do any III Cid Missions in future, he's the only source of full break in III realms

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

IcePhoenix posted:

Does the memento mori magic boost stack with faith? Trying to put together a mage team since I now have Maria and Terra's BSB's to go with Edward's hastega + faithga, and I figure a darkness caster to RW an OK BSB would probably be the best way to do it if they all stack.

The hardest part will be the turns it takes to get their gauges filled :v:

Nope, it's the same buff. Memento Mori is still worth it for Dark Zone, but if you're using Ed's Faithga + Hastega, Tellah's SSB is another good choice instead of the Onion BSB so you can get Doom to run Dark Zone + Chain spell/Drainga/whatever else instead.

It's a shame Tellah doesn't have Darkness to take advantage of his own SSB, but it makes it pretty nice for an RW.

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!

Jedi425 posted:

So now that the red haze has faded, I have a decision to make. I got the OK BSB, and I can make either a Full Charge or a Full Break, but not both; I only have enough 5* power orbs for one. I already have Faris' BSB for Breaks, so I am thinking of making the Full Charge and putting it on OK to use with his Attack command. Am I crazy?

If you have Beryl Serpent already, then you're fine. I wouldn't worry too much about Full Break in that case.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Beasteh posted:

Get OK support 5 if you intend to do any III Cid Missions in future, he's the only source of full break in III realms

Support 5, BLK 5 and WHM 5 are the most important, IMO. His MND and MAG stats are really high. Ninja and celerity are more niche and combat is a dime a dozen

Vprisoner
Jun 28, 2007

THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
THEMAINGATETHE
MAINGATETHEMAIN
GATETHEMAINGATE
SHININGLASER!!!
Actually, does anyone know if buffs can stack as long as multiple stats are being modified in some way? I got Leon's Rune Axe off the black friday pull and I wouldn't want Ambition's Price to get in the way of Shout or anything

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Dr Pepper posted:

Does anybody have the Synergy stats of the Wightslayer reforged?

Want to know if it's worth the Dark Matter.

Reforged Wyvern Claws and Wightslayer are my two best III weapons, 145 and 143 attack respectively.

Edit:
Black Belt Gi gets 140/140 Def/Res, Atk 5 is unchanged
Viking Helm gets 139/124 Def/Res, and Atk is now 17
Golem Staff gets 149 Mnd

Upgradng all of them was definitely worth it for me, but I have gil and greens to spare and 0 5* III items thus far.

kalensc fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 25, 2016

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Support 5, BLK 5 and WHM 5 are the most important, IMO. His MND and MAG stats are really high. Ninja and celerity are more niche and combat is a dime a dozen

OK can actually engage in some NIN shenanigans because of that high MAG though, and he's the only III character capable of it. But I'd dive SUP/BLK/WHM first, and after that run down the NIN/CEL line if you've got the motes burning a hole in your pocket.

Edit: FYI, a reforged Dragon Helm under synergy gives 17 ATK, 144 DEF, and 129 RES. Pretty good stuff.

Lyndon LaRouche fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 25, 2016

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Ive been basically ignoring the dive/mote system and most of the nightmare dungeons since they came out. Been too busy. Is there a good write up somewhere explaining what to go for? I think I figured out nightmare basically.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Charles Bukowski posted:

Ive been basically ignoring the dive/mote system and most of the nightmare dungeons since they came out. Been too busy. Is there a good write up somewhere explaining what to go for? I think I figured out nightmare basically.

I don't have a website but I've heard frequently to not make Crushdown because it's a waste of time.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

got garnetts and jechts bsbs. i thought it was going to be a 25 pull guess i should have paid attention

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jedi425 posted:

Faris's BSB has a full breakdown effect doesn't it? If so then Full Break is useless in any fights you bring Faris.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Evil Fluffy posted:

Faris's BSB has a full breakdown effect doesn't it? If so then Full Break is useless in any fights you bring Faris.

Yeah, that was my thinking, but someone raised the point that for CMs I may not have access to Faris. They're right, but I'm thinking I'm just going to make the Full Charge anyway, since I don't have enough synergy in most realms to really worry about CMs yet.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
i had an emulator account i goofed around with while my phone was in the shop a while back just to scratch the itch. I checked it for the first time in a bunch of weeks and got enough mythril to do a pull on the backup account as well.

got Maria's Rune-Graven Bow, Auron's Hunter Blade and Garnet's Dagger of Resolve. I'll check up on that account in a few weeks :v:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

pichupal posted:

Nope, it's the same buff. Memento Mori is still worth it for Dark Zone, but if you're using Ed's Faithga + Hastega, Tellah's SSB is another good choice instead of the Onion BSB so you can get Doom to run Dark Zone + Chain spell/Drainga/whatever else instead.

It's a shame Tellah doesn't have Darkness to take advantage of his own SSB, but it makes it pretty nice for an RW.

That's a good point, though the hope with memento mori was to take advantage of the magic boost for the defend command from the BSB, which I think is still going to do overall more damage than dark zone because of the cast time decrease?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Charles Bukowski posted:

The subreddit has a pretty good stuff posted regarding the Record diving/mote stuff: https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/4ve2cz/diving_deep_a_series_of_guides_for_how_record/

The tl;dr: is that it's mostly just fairly small stat bonuses, but the occasional character can also unlock new skill or equipment options from it, which makes it a lot more useful for them. The thread above is going through all the characters slowly, and commenting on them.

Nightmare dungeons are basically puzzle bosses that are based around a single skill school. They unlock access to a 6* skill of their school, which are generally very powerful abilities that use crystals, not orbs, to craft and hone. Currently we get so few crystals and in so low quantities, that I wouldn't bother thinking about it too much. It'll take ages to even be able to make a single 6* skill, let alone hone one to even rank 2. I haven't seen a great centralized rundown of all the available abilities, and I'm not gonna go to much detail here. But out of the currently available batch, the best ones are Northern Cross, Meltdown and Curada. Rest of them are either kinda bad or situational.

I'd start looking at them in more detail (and asking around) once you start beating the Nightmare and Ultimate +/++ content regularly, and have a steady income of crystals.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 26, 2016

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008

SageAcrin posted:

No worries, it's just that you got more Bursts than I have total from three pulls. :v:

Good fortune is cool, enjoy it.

If you want my general advice; Get that team going and focus on getting Lifesiphon(maybe even multiple copies, given how many Bursts you have...), Shellga and Protectga(Definitely in that order, given that you have Gilgamesh BSB you can often at least partially mitigate physicals), various Breakdowns(Magic is the best because it has the highest impact, Attack and Defense are good, Mental is good but niche to mage teams) and look up how to get the Mako Might/Dr. Mog's Teaching Record Materia, for good earlygame goals.

Oh, and before you do that, make some Double Cuts and basic Breaks, so you have something to hit things with while you're actually trying to manage that. (By the way, Breaks and Breakdowns don't stack-a Break only stacks with another break if it hits multiple stats/a different set of multiple stats. So something that drops a lot of stats stacks with something that drops one stat, but something that drops one stat more than another thing that drops the same stat won't. Probably. Same goes with buffs.)

I second having multiple copies of lifesiphon-- I have 3 r5's. It's not only good for SB accumulation, but also because it doesn't miss and it hits fairly hard. I also have 3 copies of drain strike, two curaja's, and 3 Diagas (meant for the nightmare reraise boss but I never bothered to follow through). Those are probably the most important abilities I have.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

superloosegoose posted:

I second having multiple copies of lifesiphon-- I have 3 r5's. It's not only good for SB accumulation, but also because it doesn't miss and it hits fairly hard. I also have 3 copies of drain strike, two curaja's, and 3 Diagas (meant for the nightmare reraise boss but I never bothered to follow through). Those are probably the most important abilities I have.

Don't forget to pair lifesiphon with record materias such as Battleforged and Ace Striker.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Lifesiphon doesn't miss? Huh.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Munoma posted:

Don't forget to pair lifesiphon with record materias such as Battleforged and Ace Striker.

I feel like doing this is a bit of a trap, actually.

It's certainly very beneficial when you're using a soul break that has an effect you want applied as often as possible (For example Beatrix SSB, which does damage + party Magic Blink.) But on a DPS character, you'll probably get a lot more mileage out of something like a +30% damage RM, while still using that same Lifesiphon to build up the soul break. It'll be slower, but not that slower, since Lifesiphon is already doing a good part of the work. In return you're getting a pretty large increase in damage, both on the initial Lifesiphon hits, and the SB itself. Doing so also has the slight added benefit that you're possibly spending less time in a Weak or Very Weak phase of a boss. Since you're building up the SB gauge more slowly, you're probably dumping them on the boss later too, burning through the remaining health faster near the end.

(edit) Though there's also definitely cases where you just can't survive a boss at all, if you're not dumping constant soul breaks on them. In that case Lifesipon + Battleforged/Ace Striker is the way to go again.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Attestant posted:

I feel like doing this is a bit of a trap, actually.

It's certainly very beneficial when you're using a soul break that has an effect you want applied as often as possible (For example Beatrix SSB, which does damage + party Magic Blink.) But on a DPS character, you'll probably get a lot more mileage out of something like a +30% damage RM, while still using that same Lifesiphon to build up the soul break. It'll be slower, but not that slower, since Lifesiphon is already doing a good part of the work. In return you're getting a pretty large increase in damage, both on the initial Lifesiphon hits, and the SB itself. Doing so also has the slight added benefit that you're possibly spending less time in a Weak or Very Weak phase of a boss. Since you're building up the SB gauge more slowly, you're probably dumping them on the boss later too, burning through the remaining health faster near the end.

(edit) Though there's also definitely cases where you just can't survive a boss at all, if you're not dumping constant soul breaks on them. In that case Lifesipon + Battleforged/Ace Striker is the way to go again.

I have Gilgamesh's BSB and using the combo I mentioned has made certain bosses go from difficult to passable.

Do what you will though, I'm not here to spread misinformation.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
It completely depends on the SB you're using, IMO.

If it's something like a Medica, or, yes, a Burst where the effect is defensive and you want to make drat well sure it stays up and comes up ASAP, it's pretty good as a combo.

If you're just going for raw damage, you probably want a damage materia instead. Especially if it's one of those odd nutters that can fit into a 40% Materia's classification.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

IcePhoenix posted:

That's a good point, though the hope with memento mori was to take advantage of the magic boost for the defend command from the BSB, which I think is still going to do overall more damage than dark zone because of the cast time decrease?

Huh, I forgot about that. I was more concerned about making Ed's Hastega unredundant it slipped my mind. I'm sure someone's done the math, but the 20% MAG boost from the burst on top of the ATK/MAG buff will definitely make the Onion BSB the best option for damage.

I could see Tellah's being useful as a weak phase emergency button with the party Instant Cast, but Onion BSB will probably beat it out it most cases.

Thinking about this is distracting me from disappointing pulls and pulling again.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
So how do I get started on CMs? Now that I'm consistently clearing U++ and am done with realms and most nightmares, I figure that's the next step for me, but...since I only started ~3 months ago, I can't field actually leveled up teams in any realms but V and IX. I have some incredible A-team relics, but as actual CM teams go, I have maaaaaaybe two or three SBs per realm, if that?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

So how do I get started on CMs? Now that I'm consistently clearing U++ and am done with realms and most nightmares, I figure that's the next step for me, but...since I only started ~3 months ago, I can't field actually leveled up teams in any realms but V and IX. I have some incredible A-team relics, but as actual CM teams go, I have maaaaaaybe two or three SBs per realm, if that?

Most CMs, it boils down to leveling and equipping synergy gear on five randos including a healer and a support, and using 5/6* skills and RW BSB's to cover your lack of relics.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Ah. So they're mostly for people who have been around a really long time and have tons of synergy and levels, then. :(

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

AegisP posted:

Lifesiphon doesn't miss? Huh.

Pound also has this 'never miss' mechanic and since SBs don't miss either you only have to worry about blind on a support

And that's what major blind resist is for

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Thought since I'd cleared the III +++, I'd go back and try the one in the IV event, see if I could score me Titan and some more major orbs.

Holy poo poo :catstare: Any advice for Barbariccia? She's absolutely flooring me and I'm not sure what to do about it. I took Luneth with my two hones of Lightning Dive and... that won't be enough jumps. Plus she hits like an absolute train.

I'm gonna fall back on Garnet subbing in with her resist hastega as a second healer again, but Luneth is my only dragoon with gear. When the burst says "physical wind and non-elemental", does that mean it's a physical attack, wind if that's a vulnerability and non-elemental if not?

Should I just hone the poo poo out of the 2* jump and mash on her with Luneth's BSB?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
I got through it with R1 Lightning Dive and R2...that jump that heals on landing, on a Kain that I growth egg'd up specifically for the fight. It involved luck and prayer that she wouldn't loving Tornado immediately after I knocked her out of Tornado form (she did it anyway three times, but nobody died). Also involved resisting with all my power to not just go "gently caress it" and burn jump charges before she actually switched into Tornado, because I wiped twice at sub 1% because of that.

But for damage, I just leaned on Lightning's BSB while Kain only stood around waiting for the appropriate time to jump.

Edit: Also Auron with Tauntilate for her normal form, because that's my default answer to any fight with physical attacks. And no Rinoa, because Kain replaced her, durr.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 26, 2016

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Vprisoner posted:

Actually, does anyone know if buffs can stack as long as multiple stats are being modified in some way? I got Leon's Rune Axe off the black friday pull and I wouldn't want Ambition's Price to get in the way of Shout or anything

The rule of thumb is that each stat modifier has its own status ID, and anything that has a different status ID can stack. I don't remember the exact IDs, but "+ATK" "+ATK/DEF" "+ATK/-DEF" "+ATK/RES", et cetera, can all stack, for example. There are some exceptions to this; Ingus's BSB coming up sticks a +ATK/DEF that stacks with existing +ATK/DEF buffs, such as Hand of the Emperor or Apocalypse Shield, and crit enhancing buffs just take whatever the highest crit buff is and ignore any other modifiers.

Keep in mind if you have good synergy and are using shout, you are gonna hit the ATK softcap and see diminishing returns with pretty much one additional stacking attack buff.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

RW Wall if you aren't already (and don't have it native, of course). For the longest time I refused to do it because I wanted to bring all the cool SBs that I didn't have myself, and because my own damage output was kinda lackluster any time I needed to hit an elemental weakness. I just thought having Full Break + Breakdowns + Protectga / Shellga would be "close enough." It's not. Once I gave in and starting RWing Wall, it was insane how much of a difference it made. AoE attacks that would normally be doing like 1500 damage were suddenly doing like 300 damage instead. It makes the fights much slower, but it also makes them much safer if you've got some decent SBs to lean on, especially if you don't have a ton of hones. It is goddamn absurd how much mitigation Wall brings, and as a new player I'd probably be locked out of 80% of the high-end content in this game if I couldn't RW it.

There are still some bosses where I just forgo it and take a really strong BSB if I know I can just melt the boss with it (especially ones that use a lot of magic, since I've got Selphie's magic blink medica), but any time there's one of those super-fast, shits-a-ton-of-damage-constantly bosses, having all that mitigation is really not optional unless your gear is insanely stacked. (or if there's some gimmick like being able to stop-lock Omega Weapon so he never gets a turn)

• Locked thread