Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
I'm really struggling with second round Gilgamesh, anyone have any advice? I'm running CoD/Light/Agrias/Lenna/Tellah, should I pull out Tellah for Dracu Lasswell for more survivability? I just can't hurt him before I get worn down and people start dropping, then it's over.

I'm making a run now with a friend Cecil so we'll see if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Palleon posted:

I'm really struggling with second round Gilgamesh, anyone have any advice? I'm running CoD/Light/Agrias/Lenna/Tellah, should I pull out Tellah for Dracu Lasswell for more survivability? I just can't hurt him before I get worn down and people start dropping, then it's over.

I'm making a run now with a friend Cecil so we'll see if that helps.

Best I can say is avoid as many fights leading up to him, dispel his buffs when he applies them and just burst him down.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you have to make sure to reapply full break every round. yeah dispel his buff when he casts it. also i feel like omniveil was a thing i used in that fight?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

rabidsquid posted:

you have to make sure to reapply full break every round. yeah dispel his buff when he casts it. also i feel like omniveil was a thing i used in that fight?

I didn't find any value in it. Most of his damage seemed to be physical. His jump is usually what would kill a unit.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
The only wind damage coming from him is his Wind Slash AOE. Everything else is physical. It only seemed to do 1500 or so without any resistances up when I ran it, so it's not terribly hard hitting.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
How many actions does Gilgamesh have a turn? It feels advantageous to force him every turn to use one of them to dispel on himself.

Mrit SA
Nov 11, 2016

by Lowtax
I'm finding that you need 2 Curaja casters and 1 Cura caster for the new trials/bosses. I use Cecil/Refia/Agrias for healing/tanking/full break and slot in other dps when needed. I used Bartz(mana battery and Barrage) and CoD(amazing human damage).

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

You guys ever see some teams and think to yourself about how different your lives would be if you could afford to whale this hard on pixels?

Chen Kenichi posted:

How many actions does Gilgamesh have a turn? It feels advantageous to force him every turn to use one of them to dispel on himself.

Supposedly his dispel doesn't count as an action.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001

Shark Tower posted:

You guys ever see some teams and think to yourself about how different your lives would be if you could afford to whale this hard on pixels?

Did you win?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
We might want to get Support added to the OP as a character type eventually, once we start having actual support units show up. Carbuncle's Esper is the first thing with a support archetype built into its abilities, and it's making me sad how many people are advocating replacing Shiva with Carbuncle on their Healers. Healers just do not have the time, as these events and Trials get harder, to be doing anything other than Heal, Raise, or Status curing outside of the opening turn.

We don't have Rikku, or Marie, or Minfilia which would emphasize the character type. The closest thing we have is Agrias, because of her buffing capabilities and having the typical secondary support characteristics of side-Healing/side-Damage/Debuffs. Nichol, Vaan, & Cerius are the only other clear examples, being more limited versions of Agrias. Ramza would be, but he lacks the Enhancements to his song right now.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I found the No Lapis macro, it wasn't on the original thread. Back to the grind, 70% Dualcast on its way.

Mrit SA posted:

I'm finding that you need 2 Curaja casters and 1 Cura caster for the new trials/bosses. I use Cecil/Refia/Agrias for healing/tanking/full break and slot in other dps when needed. I used Bartz(mana battery and Barrage) and CoD(amazing human damage).

I think double tank/support and full-time healer is the setup we're gonna need to aim for unless we're whales. Something like WoL/Cecil/Refia or Tilith is gonna be really good, then the other two slots can be DPS, and your friend is DPS too.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Chen Kenichi posted:

Did you win?

Anyone still on the ball about multiple exdeaths; 4x meteor is really REALLY drat strong.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Shark Tower posted:

Anyone still on the ball about multiple exdeaths; 4x meteor is really REALLY drat strong.

One day I will take these 4 Exdeaths I now have and make them my Arena team.

This day will likely happen when the skies open and rain upon me infinite Gigantaurs.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thanks for all the advice so far. This thread in general and also those providing specific advice has been awesome since I am still pretty clueless.

I saved up enough tickets for a ten +1 pull and I have enough crystals to do another one but I got all of the featured characters except Gilgamesh. 3 Buttz, two Faris, one Exdeath (all 3 stars) and the other 4 were garbage.

So now I actually have TOO MANY good characters and have to decide on which team to level first. My current team, after the recent recommendation to use Lenna earlier, is 5 star Elza and 4 star CoD, Lenna, Kefka and Vivi. I was about to swap in baby Arc and had started leveling him but now I probably shouldn't because Exdeath.

Obviously it is time to retire Vivi. I assume I should put Arc on the back burner and put Exdeath in my 5th slot. That leaves Buttz and Faris - should I drop anyone from my team and start focusing on them? Also should I be enhancing characters rather than keeping multiples?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Exdeath should be your focus for your Mage, yea, now that you pulled him. If you do happen to have a tank anywhere (Cecil or WoL preferably, but Charlotte I think can suffice?) you might want to consider getting one of them up to help mitigate damage.

Personally I think a Full Break unit is mandatory just for mitigation purposes, even on fights that resist elements of it (although if a fight does resist ATK/MAG down, you have Elza to cover DEF/SPR so it's probably not required then).

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
Elza/ CoD/ Lenna/ Exdeath /Faris imo. Even with Elza around, attack mitigation with Full Break is still pretty vital.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

CoD also gets some mtigation via Aura Ball (AoE attack down and silence), but Faris also gets Focus (+40% MAG&SPI, it's the magic version of Lenna's Cheer). You got some leeway with who you have and can make a party that can focus on physical or magic DPS. Faris/Exdeath/Kefka/Arc/???(probably Lenna) can nuke the poo poo out of fights during that kind of content and arena fights. CoD/Ezla/???/Lenna/Faris can bring the physical damage pain and would be a good party for the big Maxwell fight in the last event for example, or swap Faris for another ??? if the boss resists the ATK/MAG down part of Full Break and you don't need the SPI buff from Focus to survive.

For now I'd go with Shark Tower's suggestion and work towards: CoD/Elza/Lenna/Exdeath/Faris. This'll cover all your bases and give utility when needed. Once they're up you can work on Kefka (he has a 6* coming in a few months) or Arc or whatever neat characters you pick up along the way. Buttz is probably closer to a third stringer.

For multiples, it depends on TM rewards and if you want to work on certain parties. Having a party full of Exdeaths is a fine magic DPS since you can dual cast Meteor and wreck poo poo. You can also get multiple copies of Trust Masteries by getting one from each character if you want to grind/macro that out. You can also squeeze copies of the same character, regardless of rank, into one and they'll give their TrustMastery% + 5% to who they're fed to. You can get +5% right away or make a party of your TM grind character and mash 'em together once they all have enough TM% to get the reward.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

kalensc posted:

lol that today's 50 lapis are gated behind wasting 3 orbs in the colosseum

It's not a waste if you never finished Colo. :v: I will reach the Defender's Bracer someday...

oh and the blood sword too i guess maybe

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Tried ELT with Exdeath/Exdeath/Cecil/Agrias and a 680atk Gilgamesh buddy.

Took the 2nd gilgamesh down to around half HP then people started dying, if for no reason other than missile doing 1400 damage and picking the same person 2-3x in a single round is dumb bullshit. I'm going to go back later with CoD/Cecil/Agrias/Lenna/Exdeath probably, and then some buff CoD or Lightning buddy once one of the more beastly friends is up.

Shark Tower posted:

Not as strong as 7x meteor though! :v:

KataraniSword posted:

It's not a waste if you never finished Colo. :v: I will reach the Defender's Bracer someday...

Some of the ADV enemies don't die to 4x meteors if they don't chain decently. Kinda annoying really.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

KataraniSword posted:

I made the sword just before the arena arrived, but I guess it is 3 more towards those impossible achievements. :v:

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
The JP anniversary event broadcast makes me sad that we have nothing like it over here in NA for mobile games. Youtube link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gChxJhD-2Xw if anyone is interested, though it is entirely in Japanese.

So far they're only revealed a new original Esper for JP, an events listing (presumably upcoming for JP) that had at least 3-4 dozen banners, and some art showcases. Reddit has a stickied thread chronicling the announcements since the event stream is apparently 10 hours long.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

KataraniSword posted:

The Blood Sword can keep a Lightning or other character with Refresh alive indefinitely.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thanks a lot for the help! I am digging this game a lot more than I expected. Going to have to be careful about whaling out but so far so good. My only complaint is that I wish the story and exploration wasn't gated behind energy costs. I can understand special dungeons and dailies but when I just want to sit back and play the story mode it sucks having to take breaks.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
So is gilgamesh miles better than butz to the point that he's worth dropping my ticket stash for? I've got 18 tickets socked away for that darkest of days when orlandu drops on us to see if I get insanely lucky before I have to start buying a ton of 11 pulls, but the more I think about it the more I realize I have absolute poo poo luck for summoning and could prob drop hundreds of dollars and still come nowhere near orlandu.

I already have butz and a bunch of exdeaths but if gilgamesh is super good maybe I should shoot for him instead. Any consensus on him or is it better to just try on the dailies and see what happens?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Pokemaster #421 posted:

So is gilgamesh miles better than butz to the point that he's worth dropping my ticket stash for? I've got 18 tickets socked away for that darkest of days when orlandu drops on us to see if I get insanely lucky before I have to start buying a ton of 11 pulls, but the more I think about it the more I realize I have absolute poo poo luck for summoning and could prob drop hundreds of dollars and still come nowhere near orlandu.

I already have butz and a bunch of exdeaths but if gilgamesh is super good maybe I should shoot for him instead. Any consensus on him or is it better to just try on the dailies and see what happens?

Do you have any base 5* units?

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

Only ones I managed were draculaz and dark Knight Cecil who I managed to pull on the last banner we had. Got all excited it might have been that reaper girl and then my fragile hopes were dashed.

I mean I still have a decent team of Cecil exdeath draclaz cod and right now either arc or Refia, but yeah I missed out on all the higher end base 5 star guys

Guy Farting
Jul 28, 2003

has vegetable salty
I think Greg is mostly good for the TMR. So probably not worth chasing.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
People give DK Cecil a bunch of poo poo, but that motherfucker still hits like a goddamn bus, the HP Loss can be controlled, if still of an issue. Tanky for a damage dealer to boot as well.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

Isn't he supposed to get a pretty massive boost when some of the enhancements start coming out? I thought I read somewhere that once he gets his boost he can deal some absolutely massive damage. Like close to the highest in the game it just eats all his hp or kills him outright or something. If that is the case he would pair phenomenally with Refia and her full raise. I really hope he turns out to be decent because I like his sprite and want to be able to use him a lot

The Happy Hyperbole
Jan 27, 2009

What's he up to now? Hard to say since we're not telling him what to do.
I'm starting to run into trouble with the story content. Bosses hit very hard even with full break on them, and double-cura is starting to be a really lovely option for dealing with the incoming damage. I feel like I need to improve my team, but I'm not really sure how. I've been fairly lucky despite having not picked this game too long ago, and my setup is:

Ingus, Lightning, D. Cecil, Exdeath, and Refia. All currently 5*, levels between 40-60 save for maxed Ingus. I had to push him there to beat Veritas of Heavens in Ambel.

Is there even a way to farm for 6* promotion materials outside of events? Or, should I simply grind exp until the content stops kicking my rear end? Because right now even super strong friend units are starting to have trouble hoisting me through bosses.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man

Pokemaster #421 posted:

Isn't he supposed to get a pretty massive boost when some of the enhancements start coming out? I thought I read somewhere that once he gets his boost he can deal some absolutely massive damage. Like close to the highest in the game it just eats all his hp or kills him outright or something. If that is the case he would pair phenomenally with Refia and her full raise. I really hope he turns out to be decent because I like his sprite and want to be able to use him a lot

He gets a massive damage boost and most of all he gets automatically healed to full at the end of every turn.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Pokemaster #421 posted:

Only ones I managed were draculaz and dark Knight Cecil who I managed to pull on the last banner we had. Got all excited it might have been that reaper girl and then my fragile hopes were dashed.

I mean I still have a decent team of Cecil exdeath draclaz cod and right now either arc or Refia, but yeah I missed out on all the higher end base 5 star guys

I'd say Gilgamesh is probably just below Lightning and Luneth tier.That's due to not having dual wield inherent though. With Dual wield he's probably a bit better than Luneth or about the same.

With DKC and Draculaz you should be fine for DPS, so I wouldn't worry about rolling him.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

Cool thanks guys all the advice is really appreciated! One day I'll figure out how to get my tm grind going and I'll finally be able to slap barrage and duel wield on those two which should make them pretty drat killy

The Happy Hyperbole posted:

I'm starting to run into trouble with the story content. Bosses hit very hard even with full break on them, and double-cura is starting to be a really lovely option for dealing with the incoming damage. I feel like I need to improve my team, but I'm not really sure how. I've been fairly lucky despite having not picked this game too long ago, and my setup is:

Ingus, Lightning, D. Cecil, Exdeath, and Refia. All currently 5*, levels between 40-60 save for maxed Ingus. I had to push him there to beat Veritas of Heavens in Ambel.

Is there even a way to farm for 6* promotion materials outside of events? Or, should I simply grind exp until the content stops kicking my rear end? Because right now even super strong friend units are starting to have trouble hoisting me through bosses.

Refia gets Curaja at 5 star level 80 so take her to the exp vortex alone with just a mage friend to clear it and level her until she learns it. You can't farm 6 star stuff outside of events so unfortunately we are all stuck waiting until the next one to get mats. In the mean time getting your 5 star units maxed out is about the best you can do. Once Refia learns Curaja that will help quite a bit and you can always have a secondary guy on standby with Cura to help out where needed.

Aside from that you can always try and bring someone like fina who has cheer to give your lightning and friend a boost to up their damage during boss fights too

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Yeah veritas of the heavens just hosed me to pieces in that windmill village. Guess I gotta kit out for wind resistance and earth damage.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Half off was Bartz! That's cool, I didn't have one before, and natural Barrage learners are always welcome.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Got butts for my half pull. How good is he compared to CoD?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Ongoing JP Anniversary stream announced 6* upgrades for Charlotte and Hayate planned for December. So for us, figure next summer/fall. Also some weird kind of new game mode where you bring a team of 10 units, swapping them in during the fight? No one's sure how that's going to work right now.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

AegisP posted:

Ongoing JP Anniversary stream announced 6* upgrades for Charlotte and Hayate planned for December. So for us, figure next summer/fall. Also some weird kind of new game mode where you bring a team of 10 units, swapping them in during the fight? No one's sure how that's going to work right now.

Oh hey, that gives me hope for 6* awakenings for more FFBE originals. I'd like to see what a 6* version of the bard Gilbert would be like.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The man called M posted:

Got butts for my half pull. How good is he compared to CoD?

CoD is better, but Buttz is solid. CoD just has a lot of utility where as Buttz is a walking elixir that can do good dps with his barrage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
God Arena this week is going to be loving terrible

If a Lightning/Luneth actually does their AOE or any of the Army of Exdeath's cast Meteo its pretty much game.

• Locked thread