Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Cojawfee posted:

Do you work for some kind of star trek merchandiser?

Nope. Just posting random Trek gift ideas I stumble upon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I forget if I ever posted the USS Derp from Chinese Toys-R-Us but I ran across the pic again so enjoy.

This had made me realize that Starfleet ships are basically flying saucers from the 40's with a few tubes glued on.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really hope they use that for the Chinese starfleet ship.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

So the Asian captain will get a Chinese-name ship because we wouldn't want to confuse the audience.

Implying that East Asia survived World War III? THAT'LL BE THE DAY!!!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kibayasu posted:

This had made me realize that Starfleet ships are basically flying saucers from the 40's with a few tubes glued on.

You should watch Forbidden Planet. It's basically Star Trek with no mixed crew on a flying saucer. Its influence on TOS is not to be underestimated.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
This is seriously the 4th episode in a row where Neelix is loving creepily jealous if Kes even talks to another person besides him. What the gently caress, I don't remember these early seasons being so bad. Everything is just so childish. How was this airing at the same time as DS9?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The first couple seasons of Voyager were awkward that way

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Grand Fromage posted:

I forget if I ever posted the USS Derp from Chinese Toys-R-Us but I ran across the pic again so enjoy.

Maybe Discovery will steal this design instead.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MorgaineDax posted:

This is seriously the 4th episode in a row where Neelix is loving creepily jealous if Kes even talks to another person besides him. What the gently caress, I don't remember these early seasons being so bad. Everything is just so childish. How was this airing at the same time as DS9?

What you have to understand is that Voyager was created as a reaction to DS9. DS9's ratings were not as good as next gen's, thus voyager needs to do the opposite in every respect. The 50 year mission book really lays it out. Like the whole guiding principle to voyager was "Don't' be like ds9, which is bad and not a clone of next gen which means it's not REAL TREK"

DS9 has continuity? Voyager hits the reset button each episode.
DS9 has a cast of interesting characters with depth and flaws that develop as the show runs? Voyager has bland happy federation white breads that don't change.
DS9 has good writing and rules about minimizing technobabble and focusing stories on characters? Technobabble and monster/anomaly of the week, few character conflict based stories!
DS9 doesn't have enough "attractive white men" in it? Rick Berman made sure Tom Paris would be a strong handsome white male lead for white males to relate to. This was important to him.
DS9 has angry black men making the audience uncomfortable? Make the black man emotionless and stick him in the corner.
DS9 is really loving good and its own show? Make voyager absolute trash trying to desperately cargo cult next gen but missing all the marks.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

In fairness, as great as DS9 is, I would be ready to throw in the towel if I was up against B5 and just say "gently caress it, we'll redo TNG"

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Mister Adequate posted:

In fairness, as great as DS9 is, I would be ready to throw in the towel if I was up against B5 and just say "gently caress it, we'll redo TNG"
I never watched B5 because I was totally into Star Trek since before TNG aired, and I got into DS9 on the ground floor.

Does B5 still hold up, or does it feel dated now?

Baronjutter posted:

What you have to understand is that Voyager was created as a reaction to DS9. DS9's ratings were not as good as next gen's, thus voyager needs to do the opposite in every respect. The 50 year mission book really lays it out. Like the whole guiding principle to voyager was "Don't' be like ds9, which is bad and not a clone of next gen which means it's not REAL TREK"
I'm almost done with the second volume, and even most of the cast of Voyager agreed that the studio (or Berman and Braga, blaming the studio) completely crippled the writers' ability to do anything interesting.

poo poo, a good portion of the crew is comprised of literal criminals and terrorists, and by the end of the pilot they're all one big happy Starfleet family. The Maquis thing was mentioned occasionally, but it almost never became an actual plot point. Or it hadn't by the time I stopped watching, which was around season 5.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

WhiteHowler posted:

What was good is still really good (seasons 2, 3, 4) and what was bad/awkward/cheese at the time is still bad/awkward/cheese. It's always been worth a watch.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

I never watched B5 because I was totally into Star Trek since before TNG aired, and I got into DS9 on the ground floor.

I'm almost done with the second volume, and even most of the cast of Voyager agreed that the studio (or Berman and Braga, blaming the studio) completely crippled the writers' ability to do anything interesting.

poo poo, a good portion of the crew is comprised of literal criminals and terrorists, and by the end of the pilot they're all one big happy Starfleet family. The Maquis thing was mentioned occasionally, but it almost never became an actual plot point. Or it hadn't by the time I stopped watching, which was around season 5.
The Maquis thing ceased to be an issue by like Season 3 max.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WhiteHowler posted:

Basically it's a show full of ham-fisted and clunky dialogue, plus generally terrible acting (with a few notable exceptions), buoyed by generally good plotting and some neat concept and themes. It's not quite for everyone but it's certainly far from terrible.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Nobody cares about being Maquis after Tuvok picks the three worst ones and makes them run laps as a team-building exercise.

Just like no one is ever upset that they're 70 years away from their families either. Kim spends more time mourning his clarinet than his girlfriend.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The last real one was that episode where Seska somehow overwrote a holodeck program that Tuvok created to train crew members in case of a Maquis mutiny

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Voyager was the first Star Trek I watched because my girlfriend really liked it and grew up with it. Janeway was her favourite Captain who she looked up to as a kid. I remember getting very annoyed at basically everything but especially that Janeway refused to sacrifice her Federation morals to get her crew home faster. I think at one point Q offered to take them home instantly if she slept with him and she refused? I said Janeway was a psychotic, power hungry, glory hound. After I'd been a jerk for a while we switched to DS9 and I was all over that poo poo.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Picard would have taken that deal.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

WhiteHowler posted:

The only thing that has really been lost is that the dynamism of the space combat (vs Star Trek's "Hold still and shoot phasers until end of fight" of the time) is less novel, and the textures are obviously poo poo.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

The last real one was that episode where Seska somehow overwrote a holodeck program that Tuvok created to train crew members in case of a Maquis mutiny

Nah, there was also the one later on where a Maquis extremist in the Alpha Quadrant activates Tuvok as a sleeper agent, who then reminds Chakotay and friends of their true loyalties and causes an actual mutiny. Cuz taking control of a ship that still has a good 50+ years of travel ahead of it for your cause in a completely separate part of the galaxy makes a ton of sense.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Duckbag posted:

Nah, Kurn is more like DS9's Ensign Ro, a likeable recurring character that disappears without a trace for a few seasons only to return just long enough for the main cast to ruin his life and send him off with an ambiguous ending to never be heard from again.

Sort of lovely if you ask me. Poor Kurn went from being the secret son of Mogh with a good life and his own command to Worf's little brother and a seat on the Council only to wind up back where he started pretending to be someone else's fake son. They don't even bother to mention him when Worf regains his honor (again) and gets adopted by Martok. Poor bastard's probably still out there with amnesia living some lovely fake life. At least he's not dead or in prison like Ro almost certainly is.

Also, I think they mentioned he had a family at one point. Wonder what happened to them.

Things turned out alright for her, from what I understand:

Well, at least for a while.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WhiteHowler posted:

I just finished marathoning it for the first time. The things I didn't like about it were the occasional dumb or cartoonish episode, but there aren't many of those and most are clumped toward the beginning.

In terms of character writing and acting and worldbuilding and overall arc management, it makes me bite the back of my hand to think how good it is, and how much better Trek could have been if it had followed some of the same guidelines. Even DS9.

I don't care about the 90s CGI. It's derpy but we all put up with worse in all those video games we loved so much.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you can watch TNG you can watch B5.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Railing Kill posted:

Things turned out alright for her, from what I understand:

Well, at least for a while.

She had that sweet Quiznos sponsorship going on, which is nice.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Babylon 5 was one of the first sci fi shows to start focusing on story arcs and heavily serialized material, multi season plans, etc. (Though they wrapped up things in a hurry in season 4 because they knew the syndication deal was ending, and so in season 5 they had to wing it a little.)

I haven't watched any of it in a while, haven't seen it streaming anywhere.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Pwnstar posted:

Voyager was the first Star Trek I watched because my girlfriend really liked it and grew up with it. Janeway was her favourite Captain who she looked up to as a kid. I remember getting very annoyed at basically everything but especially that Janeway refused to sacrifice her Federation morals to get her crew home faster. I think at one point Q offered to take them home instantly if she slept with him and she refused? I said Janeway was a psychotic, power hungry, glory hound. After I'd been a jerk for a while we switched to DS9 and I was all over that poo poo.

Ethics, am I right? :rolleyes:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Pwnstar posted:

I think at one point Q offered to take them home instantly if she slept with him and she refused? I said Janeway was a psychotic, power hungry, glory hound.
I think it was less "sleep with him" and more "sire his offspring", but still, needs of the many and all that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

WhiteHowler posted:

Caveat that I last watched it in 2010 or so (Gonna watch with Pikestaff at some point but we've got so much to get through already that it's taking awhile to get there :v:) but, yeah, it does. The core of what makes Bab5 great is still there: Excellent characters who are rounded, complete individuals with strengths and flaws, who grow, who gently caress up; a network of several massive story arcs that all weave together, sometimes merge, sometimes split, sometimes influence each other from afar; a really good set of messages; some loving crazy insane episodes that really do change the status quo of the universe or of players in it, regularly.

Now, that all said, it's not perfect. Having a big major connected and long-arcs show is a hell of a lot more common these days than it was twenty years ago, so it may not seem so impressive anymore. Season 1 is still finding its footing and 5 is a little ropy because of production issues. The CGI is still okay for the most part but there are occasional bits that really stand out. And yes there is cheese and a few episodes that just don't land. But those flaws are almost all minor and/or forgivable, and what you get in return is still my favorite TV show ever.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Production issues" meaning essentially that throughout the series, but especially the last two seasons, there were constant problems with a) actors having to/choosing to leave the show and JMS having to write his way around their departure and replacement as though he intended it all along; and b) never really having a good idea which season was going to be the final one until the last goddamn minute because the rinky-dink cable network that funded it couldn't make up its mind about whether there would be a Season 5 until he'd already written/shot a series finale and stuck it at the end of Season 4, leaving him to have to write a whole Season 5 of filler with some important characters missing and then stick his S4 finale at the end of S5 like he meant that to happen all along.

And that's to say nothing of his original leading man having to leave after Season 1 because he literally went crazy. JMS had to write his way out of that too.

It's legit incredible that it ended up being as good as it did with all those cards stacked against it. In 99 out of 100 alternate universes B5 fizzled out unfinished and is remembered only as a bitter joke.

E: Londo and G'Kar made it all the way to the end, and that's the backbone of the show really.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 26, 2016

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Data Graham posted:

It's legit incredible that it ended up being as good as it did with all those cards stacked against it. In 99 out of 100 alternate universes B5 fizzled out unfinished and is remembered only as a bitter joke.

Yeah, but a few of those alternate universes get to talk about how Firefly stayed amazingly awesome for all eight seasons. (Even if Joss Whedon did throw in the occasional really weird episode that nobody quite knows what he was driving at. That's a constant with Joss, across all universes.)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, I guess there's a non-zero percentage of universes where Firefly didn't flame out into insipid navel-gazing bullshit within a couple seasons. We don't live anywhere close to them, though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Dicky mouse posted:

Jus think of all the money they could save if they made a show about ship staffed with data's

Already done in the Star Trek Waypoint graphics novel..

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MorgaineDax posted:

Picard would have taken that deal.

But Sisko would hit it. :v:

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 26, 2016

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Angry Salami posted:

Ethics, am I right? :rolleyes:

Obviously I didn't expect them to become space pirates right out of the gate but when your ship and its crew are stranded decades from home then maybe you need to consider that ethics are more guidelines really.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What was infuriating about Janeway wasn't that she held onto her federation ethics, it's how inconsistent she was about it. If suddenly being a gently caress the prime directive badass advanced the plot or increased her power she'd do it, but if it had anything to do with getting home faster or gently caress over Harry it was suddenly all about ethics.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
"We must do everything we can to scratch and claw our way back to the alpha quadrant over the next seven decades on a completely optimal course but also investigate every fart and whistle and there's coffee in that nebula"

Janeway changes priorities on a whim and it was frustrating to watch. Like, did she forget their goal?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Remember when being on a Trek show was such a great gig that you would quit a paying gig on the chance that you might get a shot at being cast?

If you're not cool with your acting career dying after Trek, you should not sign up for Trek.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Picard always knew when to forget the Prime Directive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjpObUPEJpg&t=9s

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

"We must do everything we can to scratch and claw our way back to the alpha quadrant over the next seven decades on a completely optimal course but also investigate every fart and whistle and there's coffee in that nebula"

Janeway changes priorities on a whim and it was frustrating to watch. Like, did she forget their goal?

Janeway was actually a cult leader, so when Voyager finally made it home, she and her followers refused to leave the safety of the ship, and anyone who boarded was immediately indoctrinated. They had to promote her to Admiral just so she'd disband the cult for a cushier job, at which point they were finally able to get the crew counseling.

Unfortunately, the counselor was Troi, so now the name of the Dread Ship Voyager is only spoken of in hushed whispers, lest the ship and its maddened crew descend upon you and blow you to hell with their anti-Borg super-torpedoes and impenetrable armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Coffee nebula actually made sense early on when they had to ration power. It wasn't about exploration in the Starfleet sense as much as in the oil exploration sense.

Of course, they no longer rationed anything after a short while. Or they did, but they used all the replicator power to make shuttlecraft and repair the carpeting while making everyone eat leola roots every meal