Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

So how do I get started on CMs? Now that I'm consistently clearing U++ and am done with realms and most nightmares, I figure that's the next step for me, but...since I only started ~3 months ago, I can't field actually leveled up teams in any realms but V and IX. I have some incredible A-team relics, but as actual CM teams go, I have maaaaaaybe two or three SBs per realm, if that?

Most CMs can be done with little synergy and native SBs, but they usually require good hones, levels, a really solid plan and occasionally some luck. I basically have nothing for VIII and X and have pulled through every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Wilekat posted:

Thought since I'd cleared the III +++, I'd go back and try the one in the IV event, see if I could score me Titan and some more major orbs.

Holy poo poo :catstare: Any advice for Barbariccia? She's absolutely flooring me and I'm not sure what to do about it. I took Luneth with my two hones of Lightning Dive and... that won't be enough jumps. Plus she hits like an absolute train.

I'm gonna fall back on Garnet subbing in with her resist hastega as a second healer again, but Luneth is my only dragoon with gear. When the burst says "physical wind and non-elemental", does that mean it's a physical attack, wind if that's a vulnerability and non-elemental if not?

Should I just hone the poo poo out of the 2* jump and mash on her with Luneth's BSB?

I remember I had a serious offensive power issue with Barbariccia I had to solve by delaying breaking her Tornado form via Jump so I could make full use of that form's Holy weakness while focusing on mitigating her magic attacks (her physical ones can be taunted)...

That said, when the burst says "physical wind and non-elemental", it's more that it'd go wind-based if there's not any kind of resistance to it and non-elemental otherwise, but it does prioritize for things like the better boosted element when there's multiple/no weaknesses (or the first listed weakness otherwise).

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

AstraSage posted:

I remember I had a serious offensive power issue with Barbariccia I had to solve by delaying breaking her Tornado form via Jump so I could make full use of that form's Holy weakness while focusing on mitigating her magic attacks (her physical ones can be taunted)...

Hey, there's an idea. If I dump my booster I can replace them with Hope. Diaga and his Holy BSB might do some work.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT
Simple way to think about it - the attack is the element which will do the most damage.

So if it's wind/non.

Vs. Wind weak = wind
Vs. Wind resistant = non elemental
Vs. Wind neutral = either or

(+20% wind gear equipped) Vs. neutral = wind
(+20% wind gear equipped) Vs. wind resistant = non elemental
(+20% wind gear equipped) Vs. wind weak = murder

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Inge posted:

Simple way to think about it - the attack is the element which will do the most damage.

So if it's wind/non.

Vs. Wind weak = wind
Vs. Wind resistant = non elemental
Vs. Wind neutral = either or

(+20% wind gear equipped) Vs. neutral = wind
(+20% wind gear equipped) Vs. wind resistant = non elemental
(+20% wind gear equipped) Vs. wind weak = murder

Works like I hoped it would then. I figured they did it to stop people's shiny SBs getting ruined by awkward resistances. The worst they can roll being flat 100% effectiveness (not including DEF or RES) is fair enough.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Wilekat posted:

Hey, there's an idea. If I dump my booster I can replace them with Hope. Diaga and his Holy BSB might do some work.

Also, Celes' BSB as a RW does marvels in that fight.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
gently caress that reraise fight, it's not even fun

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
How do you maximize the damage on Firion's BSB. Do you just alternate his commands?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr Pepper posted:

Does anybody have the Synergy stats of the Wightslayer reforged?

Want to know if it's worth the Dark Matter.

With synergy, 143 Atk. My Lightbringer had that offsynergy at 5*, plus a Holy boost.

Wightslayer is better than nothing, but if you have any sword you've been dumping Rosettas into, it'll probably be equivalent or better.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Crazy Larry posted:

How do you maximize the damage on Firion's BSB. Do you just alternate his commands?

Unless you're doing a really, really long fight (like the coming Torment dungeons), stick with command 2. Command 1 takes way too long to ramp up.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Wilekat posted:

Works like I hoped it would then. I figured they did it to stop people's shiny SBs getting ruined by awkward resistances. The worst they can roll being flat 100% effectiveness (not including DEF or RES) is fair enough.

Yep, this is absolutely the case for all element/non hybrid attacks.

Dual elemental attacks, however, can be resisted, though the likelihood is very low.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

superloosegoose posted:

gently caress that reraise fight, it's not even fun

agreed but for all the nightmare bosses

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Prav posted:

agreed but for all the nightmare bosses

I really liked the CPU fight :shobon:

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I haven't played since like...June? I think but decided to give this a shot again because I've been bored of everything on my phone lately. I picked a good day because i forgot all about the black friday stuff.

I pulled on the BF banner and got 4 which is I think more than I"ve ever gotten from a pull period.

Locke, Leon, Maria, Cloud. Leon/Maria I never really used before but it looks like she's got a great caster burst mode. I also got Onion Knight's sword from a 100 gem pull, and I'm reading with a lot of investment he's pretty drat good. Maybe the game will keep my attention again for a while.

I've missed out on some characters, so are there any that are worth mentioning? I'm assuming no just because I won't have SBs for them.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Combo posted:

I pulled on the BF banner and got 4 which is I think more than I"ve ever gotten from a pull period.
Not too long ago the pull format was changed, and now all 11-pulls are guaranteed at least one 5*. It's pretty great.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'd rather do the Nightmare Evrae fight a thousand times than have to do that loving Guardian fight once.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Every time I beat a Nightmare fight I sigh and say "Thank god that's over". Can't wait till the whole drat thing is done with!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'd rather do the Nightmare Evrae fight a thousand times than have to do that loving Guardian fight once.

And I'd rather do twenty Tonberry slogs than deal with Nightmare Necrophobe. (Everything happens so much: the fight)

Kaiser and Ultima were just kind of dumb and RNG, CPU and Demon Wall were actually neat, gently caress everything else.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Pulled a Romphaia and a Dupe Lightbringer(IX).

Not sure if i should combine or not. i do have some other IX swords (including the Ultima sword or whatever from steiner) but i think an uncombined lightbringer is still better than any of them. but a 6* lightbringer is very tempting...

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Not too long ago the pull format was changed, and now all 11-pulls are guaranteed at least one 5*. It's pretty great.

I thought I read on reddit earlier that a guy bought an 11 pull for the first time and got 0/11? Or do you mean just on the BF banner?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Combo posted:

I thought I read on reddit earlier that a guy bought an 11 pull for the first time and got 0/11? Or do you mean just on the BF banner?

You can still get an off-banner generic 5*. But if things stay like JP then starting with the next event the off-banner rate will get much much lower, to the point you're almost certain to get an on-banner.

With Lucky Draws though, since all the relics are unique SB relics, you are guaranteed one with G5. So with this Black Friday draw you were guaranteed at least one BSB.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

KnoxZone posted:

Most CMs can be done with little synergy and native SBs, but they usually require good hones, levels, a really solid plan and occasionally some luck. I basically have nothing for VIII and X and have pulled through every time.

The reddit has someonr who puts up a thread for beating the CM each event with no special items/SBs. Always a good read even if you do have good gear since the tactics are beneficial regardless.

I was certain I'd fail the first Bahamut SIN fight, ditto the first CM in FFX vs Braska. Both times help from or SA thread and the reddit discussions gave the necessary insights on team setups, necessary hones, and so on.

I've only ever used thr 2* skill Dagger Toss for one fight, and it was to slay the first CM boss. :v:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Ah. So they're mostly for people who have been around a really long time and have tons of synergy and levels, then. :(

You need levels, which you can't get around, but if you start abusing the roaming warrior system you actually don't need much else.

Have one mage jacked up on Mag as high as possible and then have everyone else support that mage with mental breakdown faith etc....

Any CM boss with an elemental weakness melts pretty quickly. Everyone else you can make a good go at with Maria's Meteor XVI. It's a self buffing BSB that can do serious damage even on neutral bosses.

Think of it this way. It's pretty easy to hit 30k per bsb command with such a point mage on an elemental weakness boss. You can squeeze off 5 commands if you're good. 30×5×2 is about 300k damage not including the entry.

That's enough to kill most U+ straight out

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Tiny Bee
Zeus Mace
Artemis Bow (V)
Masamune

:woop:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Alpine Mustache posted:

Pulled a Romphaia and a Dupe Lightbringer(IX).

Not sure if i should combine or not. i do have some other IX swords (including the Ultima sword or whatever from steiner) but i think an uncombined lightbringer is still better than any of them. but a 6* lightbringer is very tempting...

Whats your other 9 synergy? You've got the Ultimate Sword, at least one lightbringer, and...?

Because if you've got two other weapons, it's antotal no brainer to combine them. Yeah, a ligthbringer might be better than any of them. But what's 20 attack in one realm versus being 20 attack closer to softcapping with a +holy weapon in every realm without worrying about synergy? Because that's what holy swords are good for. Lightbringer + with 20 Rosetta stones means you can use a level 80 knight against any boss in any realm and need one less synergy weapon. Which owns.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

So I think I've gotten four Onion Knight motes today total. This is abnormal, yes?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I've been getting about one every other 90-stamina run. Four in a day doesn't seem out of reach at that rate unless I, too, have been super lucky.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I feel like they drop about as often as greens in regular dailies.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I feel like they drop about as often as greens in regular dailies.

Yeah, same. They're more uncommon than actually rare.

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

CaptainPsyko posted:

Whats your other 9 synergy? You've got the Ultimate Sword, at least one lightbringer, and...?

Because if you've got two other weapons, it's antotal no brainer to combine them. Yeah, a ligthbringer might be better than any of them. But what's 20 attack in one realm versus being 20 attack closer to softcapping with a +holy weapon in every realm without worrying about synergy? Because that's what holy swords are good for. Lightbringer + with 20 Rosetta stones means you can use a level 80 knight against any boss in any realm and need one less synergy weapon. Which owns.

For IX i have: Exploda (Zidane), Ultima Sword and Excalibur (Steiner), and now Lightbringer x2. I don't think i can ever use all of them at once, and Steiners Excalibur also boosts Holy damage.

I like your reasoning, and will combine them

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

How is Faris optimally kitted out with her BSB? Since it doesn't stack with Full Break or Breakdowns do people use it more as a supplementary source of mitigation? Something like Ramza as main support and Faris as a thief, and then they swap to DPS and support when a BSB is ready?

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

kalensc posted:

How is Faris optimally kitted out with her BSB? Since it doesn't stack with Full Break or Breakdowns do people use it more as a supplementary source of mitigation? Something like Ramza as main support and Faris as a thief, and then they swap to DPS and support when a BSB is ready?

I personally equip Faris with Thief's Revenge and Tempo, I use Tyro as Full Break+Breakdown, myself.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

kalensc posted:

On single target fights I open with a Mako Might Beryl Serpent and then follow up with Mug Bloodlust and the burst commands. I'm starting to think I might be better off taking armor breakdown instead of Thief's Revenge though. Usually if she just gets hit a couple times while going about her business she can keep burst mode up indefinitely.

But that's the beauty of Faris, she can cover a lot of edge case status weaknesses with Machinist and Dancer if you dive her, or just do respectable damage with Thief's Revenge while healing herself.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Thanks for the tips! I've spent nary a 4* nor 6* mote thus far but perhaps I'll start after I run Faris through some Ultimates.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Reporting in that my Black Friday Lucky was a 1/11 with Tifa's Oversoul.

Most would say "oh that's mostly meh", but my earth team just got even better. Between Tifa, Maria, and Guy I'm gonna smash all the things! :v:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Most would say "oh that's mostly meh", but my earth team just got even better. Between Tifa, Maria, and Guy I'm gonna smash all the things! :v:

You just need Mog's SSB for a full Earth experience!

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm actually a little jealous, I'd love to have an excuse to main Tifa in a team.

Also, heads up to other JP side players: The Dissidia Anniversary Banner just dropped, first pull is half price. In total it's got Zidane's OSB, Vaan, Firion BSBs and Lightning's BSB 2, Warrior of Light's Radiant Sword SSB, Garland's Bardiche SSB, Shantotto's Vidofnir SSB, Terra's Fire Beam SSB and Y'shtola's Stoneskin II.

I personally pulled Radiant Sword and Stoneskin II out of it, which I am totally fine with. :eng101:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Since I more or less whiffed on the FF3 banner - got dupe Heroic Shield and Danjuro- should I give it another pull?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Nihilarian posted:

Since I more or less whiffed on the FF3 banner - got dupe Heroic Shield and Danjuro- should I give it another pull?

If that's all you have from the banner I would try again. Hell, I'm debating going for a third and final pull but I think I would die of salt poisoning if all I got was a second Heroic Shield or third Lust Dagger, and quite frankly I don't think anything short of the Gauntlets would make it worthwhile. But the more I think about it the more I want 'em...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I'm figuring out a party to take on Ahriman tomorrow, and I was wondering: is there a source of magic wind damage in the game? Specifically, a BSB to RW? I can think of a few physical ones, but I'd rather not RW Butt's OSB unless I have to, given Ahriman's giant pile of HP necessitating hone extending. I'd love Alphinaud BSB, but that won't be around for another month, and black mages have no access to it outside of my two casts of meltdown that will be glued to Maria.

e: Just looked it up on the spreadsheet and nope, literally all phys. I guess I'm bringing along some kind of bruiser and RWing Luneth BSB or something!

• Locked thread