Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Guys am I doing Ireland right this time? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hmm you're not leinster so no

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

oddium posted:

Desmond get Morale, Core Cost and Admin Tech Cost. Leinster get generic Irish ideas. What's so great about them?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

green + harp

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I figure my colour and flag are gonna change when I form Ireland anyway so

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Also my flag is a banana with a compass sticking out of it, what's not to like

feller
Jul 5, 2006

oddium posted:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Is it no longer possible to core through your vassals?

Also, I can't take their western provinces cause I'm not occupying forts in the area. There are no forts in the area, I have to walk all the way to the east to find some.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wafflecopper posted:

I really dislike the death clock mechanic on assigned generals. I just gave up on a Luck of the Irish attempt because I forgot to unassign my heir from my army after a war. He died, my 68-year-old ruler soon followed, and I ended up PUed under France. Cool. The mechanic adds nothing to the game at all, it just punishes you for forgetting to click some buttons after a war. I guess it adds a bit of extra risk to using rulers and heirs as generals during wartime too, but the same could be accomplished by slightly upping the chance of them dying in battle, which currently almost never happens. For all I know it's historical that generals died from accidents or diseases in camp more often than they did in battle, but from a gameplay perspective it's poo poo.
I agree. I also really hate the way recruiting generals works, because he can die a day after you recruit him and it was a waste of 50 MP.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

because he can die a day after you recruit him and it was a waste of 50 MP.

I don't think this is true, I'm pretty sure they're coded to live for at least a few years before the death chance starts kicking in.

I agree that having to de-assign rulers from your armies during peace is pretty dumb though.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Could make it a toggle like auto man forts on war dec

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

genericnick posted:

Could make it a toggle like auto man forts on war dec

I wish the reverse was true, to auto mothball forts on peace. Or some smarter "activate frontline forts in war" where it would only activate forts within a few provinces of the countries you're at war with.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Elman posted:

Is it no longer possible to core through your vassals?

Also, I can't take their western provinces cause I'm not occupying forts in the area. There are no forts in the area, I have to walk all the way to the east to find some.

You can only core through your vassals if the province you want to core is on the same continent as your capital.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Man I mentioned some alliance weirdness yesterday wrt Saxony not being able to flip Austria to friendly to get an alliance, but I'm seeing a whole bunch of other weird poo poo too... Like, why is Coptic Armenia allying with Sunni Granada? They're a million miles away, different religion, both tiny, and Armenia doesn't even have a coastal province in order to get access to ships to be able to participate in their wars :psyduck: And why is Hungary allying OPM Aq Qoyonlu? Hungary isn't even rivalled with the Ottomans at this point, which would explain it (but would still be dumb). Really odd

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Allyn posted:

Man I mentioned some alliance weirdness yesterday wrt Saxony not being able to flip Austria to friendly to get an alliance, but I'm seeing a whole bunch of other weird poo poo too... Like, why is Coptic Armenia allying with Sunni Granada? They're a million miles away, different religion, both tiny, and Armenia doesn't even have a coastal province in order to get access to ships to be able to participate in their wars :psyduck: And why is Hungary allying OPM Aq Qoyonlu? Hungary isn't even rivalled with the Ottomans at this point, which would explain it (but would still be dumb). Really odd

Look you haven't had to deal with everyone in Italy deciding it is of vital importance that they ally Iceland or Brazil.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So I might have annexed too much territory in Hungary and got a coalition formed against me. I'm playing as Ottomans and the coalition is a bunch of European States (poland/lith/Burgundy+vassals, etc) Mamluks (remnants, but they still control Alexandria) and a few minor states in the Caucus/Iraq region.

What are my options here, Is it possible to wait this out? Can I break up the coalition through spies or something?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Away all Goats posted:

So I might have annexed too much territory in Hungary and got a coalition formed against me. I'm playing as Ottomans and the coalition is a bunch of European States (poland/lith/Burgundy+vassals, etc) Mamluks (remnants, but they still control Alexandria) and a few minor states in the Caucus/Iraq region.

What are my options here, Is it possible to wait this out? Can I break up the coalition through spies or something?

If you can get a nation to +50 relations or ally them they leave, see if you can improve relations/bribe them to get them out. Otherwise try declaring on the allies of the bigger members to get a truce and force them out.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

If you can puff up enough they won't be brave enough to attack you. Make sure you're at force limit and try to get more allies. You can also probably out-build them navally and use the Bosphorus crossing to pick their armies off piecemeal if you do have to fight.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Away all Goats posted:

Furiously bribe and improve relations with the members who hate you the least, or people on the fence. I forget the exact threshold but I've had people join coalitions against me, I'd toss them a +25 bribe and improve relations and they'd quit and go from angry to friendly. I think around -50 expansion penalty is where it starts getting bad, but they still need to have low or negative overall relations to ally against you.

I just had everyone around me as france get really mad, were at about -55 or so AE against me. Castile and england and savoy and genoa and some HRE dudes all got fussy and created a big coalition. Castile was only at about -50ish AE but hated me for some other reasons. I put all 3 diplomats making friends with the members I stood the best chance of getting off my back, and within a year Castile and england left, leaving some italians and germans upset but they'd never have the critical mass to dare declare war. A coalition is only dangerous if it's big enough to actually threaten you, they don't declare war if they don't think they can take you. Sometimes just making friends with 1 big coalition member is enough to break the whole threat.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

Try to get some strong allies if you don't already. Maintain the largest army you can afford and keep your manpower high. If the coalition don't think they can beat you they won't declare, but show weakness and they'll jump on it. After some time your AE penalty will drop to the point that coalition members start leaving and the coalition eventually disbands. You can also hire an improve relations advisor to speed up the rate at which your AE penalty ticks down.

e: wow, beaten hard, phone posting is hard mode

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 26, 2016

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Playing as Lucca and christ, it's been 16 years and I haven't been able to do anything but see my numbers go up fast. Relatively quick since the Renaissance started here :v:, but does anyone know how I can actually start expanding without opportunities presenting themselves? I'm not exactly powerful.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Beamed posted:

Playing as Lucca and christ, it's been 16 years and I haven't been able to do anything but see my numbers go up fast. Relatively quick since the Renaissance started here :v:, but does anyone know how I can actually start expanding without opportunities presenting themselves? I'm not exactly powerful.

it's gonna be pretty boring until 1490 or so when Italy leaves the HRE

Lucca is not a beginner-friendly start

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Pellisworth posted:

it's gonna be pretty boring until 1490 or so when Italy leaves the HRE

Lucca is not a beginner-friendly start

I've got over 1000 hours clocked in on EU4, and I don't want to think about how many in EU3 or EU2. Being a bigger isn't among my problems, I just feel Lucca is prime "really boring start" material, and I know a recent poster had great success forming Italy with Lucca (and conquering India).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I just did the Lucky Lucca achievement so I might have some insight here.

Fabricate claims on Ferrera and Florence. Build over force limit (I think you need at least 9? to siege down Ferrera's capital). If Ferrera doesn't have any allies by the time you finish fabricating, go for it. Flip off Austria when it asks for you to return Modena and leave Ferrera alone cause the AE is probably gonna be too high.

Next target is Florence or Siena. To reach Siena you'll need to get Military Access from Florence so it's not ideal especially for putting down rebels afterwards. Florence gets excommunicated pretty often now by the Papal States since they hate each other so if that happens, try to take Florentine territory using the Excommunication CB. Once you've got two fat Italian provinces in addition to Lucca, you'll be a lot safer. Taking Florentine territory lets you easily invade Siena for another easy province and then you can pick apart Florence later at your leisure.

You'll have to wait quite a bit between conquests to wait for AE to wear off but since Italian provinces are so valuable this lets you start forming alliances with major powers more easily with each conquest. Austria or France are of course the best allies you can have. Milan will probably hate you forever so any rival of theirs (Savoy likes to punch above its weight a lot nowadays? Switzerland usually gets steamrolled eventually) is probably a good ally as well. Venice is useful early on but dead weight later.

Once you're sitting pretty on 5-6 Italian provinces you can basically do whatever you want. Lucky Lucca? Grab Exploration and go crazy. Form Italy? Bully whoever is left in Northern Italy. Declare on Milan whenever they're getting pounded or otherwise looking weak. Use Austria to bludgeon Venice for you, etc.

If everyone is tightly allied to one another at the start of the game then you gotta take your standard OPM strategy of restart until things look better for you.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Eej posted:

If everyone is tightly allied to one another at the start of the game then you gotta take your standard OPM strategy of restart until things look better for you.
Ugh, this is what I was hoping to avoid - Florence and Ferrara had both made bff's with Genoa and Austria by the time I had my claims. But thanks! Maybe I'll see what happens by 1500 before starting over.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Beamed posted:

Do you have allies? Is there any neighbor who's alliance you can take on? Do you have favors with said allies? If not, remember you can attack someone, promise land to whoever wants it, then take stuff from the allies of your target, white peace with your original target, and laugh all the way to a bunch of years waiting for your AE to burn down.

That's how I get my Hesse games going.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

The transparent political map mod is broken this patch :rip: :eng99:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

RabidWeasel posted:

They gave our Fredman's Epistles for free for doing something so possibly it's related to that?

If you want an easy fun game with new content play Ethiopia.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give them a try. Is anything in Mare Nostrum important enough to make it worth picking up, or is it just minor/specific stuff not really worth worrying about?

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Do the devs still take national idea sets from the community? Or is that just something I imagined? I have enough research on the Choctaws to put something together to replace the generic native ideas they have now.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You can't 100% guarantee it'll be added but they do take suggestions yeah, post a thread in the suggestions forum and it'll almost certainly be read by a dev.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oddium posted:

sligo is being annexed also pale has no fort now :wth:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Speaking of my Ireland game, Scotland just guaranteed and rivaled me at the same time :confused:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The AI no longer getting free forts has been a small good thing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

sounds like you need to guarantee that they're shoved off to shetland

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wafflecopper posted:

Speaking of my Ireland game, Scotland just guaranteed and rivaled me at the same time :confused:
They are making sure that they are the only one that can beat you up.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

They are making sure that they are the only one that can beat you up.

Yeah I think that was the idea, they declared on me not long after. They got the whole "can beat me up" part wrong though. :smug: Even though England decided not to help despite being allied to me with good relations and at peace. Jerks will get theirs soon enough. Once I'm done paying off all the loans and corruption from currency debasement from the near-bankruptcy the war with Scotland cost me

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 26, 2016

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

Believe it or not but one of the best ways to handle this is to threaten war. They can't be in a coalition if they have a truce timer with you and this might make the other members change their mind once the coalition becomes smaller than you. Keep in mind this makes your AE worse.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

oddium posted:

sligo is being annexed also pale has no fort now :wth:

Munster doesn't exist anymore but you can still have the coolest colour with Thommond.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

What's a good starting plan for Ethiopia? I've got plenty of neighbors I can pick on, but it seems like I'm very gold starved right out of the gate. Been a while since I've played and there are a lot of new systems in place so I'm not sure what I should be paying attention to or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

What's a good starting plan for Ethiopia? I've got plenty of neighbors I can pick on, but it seems like I'm very gold starved right out of the gate. Been a while since I've played and there are a lot of new systems in place so I'm not sure what I should be paying attention to or not.

You should be strong enough to expand in all directions right out of the gate. Your income sucks, but you can plunder all of your weaker neighbors to make up for that. Your income will get better as you take more and more land, and there are some gold mines nearby that will really get your income pushed up. You should have 2 major goals at the beginning:

1) Colonize all of the coastal provinces around Cape of Good Hope
2) Conquer Egypt (or at least the nice parts of Egypt)

If you don't do 1 then Europeans will take that land for themselves and screw up your trade potential. If you don't do 2 then Ottomans will take Egypt and then they'll crush you (they might do this anyway). If you take Egypt then you probably have the resources and allies to keep the Ottomans from declaring, and at that point you have a bunch of options: try to take down the Ottomans, consolidate Africa, dominate trade in Malacca, etc

• Locked thread